Superman, Killer...? (merged)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Re: Re: Superman, Killer...?

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
    Superman has killed super-villains in the comics before, you'd have to ask the comic buffs for specific references. I'm not talking about in Smallville, but yes Clark has killed Zoners before, and that is in line with Superman killing supervillains in the past. Killing is usually only used if it happens by accident or there is no other way to destroy or eliminate the threat, but it has happened.
    As one of those comic buffs I think I can speak for the record that Superman has a code AGAINST killing. It's actually a pretty major part of the character and has been used as the main point in many stories. In the Elseworld's "Kingdom Come" book they even make a point of saying "They chose the hero who would kill over the one who wouldn't and look what it got them" in reference to humanity's seeming growing preference and ease with the notion of killing.

In the early days when Superman was first coming into his own he was shown as a violent character, but from pretty much the 1940's on he was shown as sticking to a strictly "do not kill" mentality. This lasted until the late 80'e early '90's when some genius at DC decided that Superman would kill in an instance where he felt he had no other choice (flying in the face of a tradition that was probably older than the writer himself and probably owing more to the popularity of characters like Wolverine, Punisher, etc. than anything else).

In that instance Superman killed 3 Phantom Zone Criminals from an alternate reality each of which possessed the equivalent of the Pre-Crisis Superman’s power level. A level that was much much greater than the Superman of the comics at the time possessed. He predictably felt a great deal of guilt over this and went a bit mad for awhile and ended up exiling himself from Earth for a time. It was during this time that he developed his resolve to never kill again and coincidentally enough tested it out shortly thereafter when he ended up fighting in an alien gladiator game, which called for the loser to be killed. He refused to do so and ended up leading a revolt that toppled the alien empire.

After this the only other time he took a life was against Doomsday and since obviously neither he nor Doomsday remained dead after this I’m not sure how seriously that can be used as a barometer regarding his resolve not to kill. The comic references him commenting that he would stop Doomsday no matter what it took, but since both seemed to be pretty equal in strength I’m not even sure you can say he intentionally killed him. Both combatants simply beat away at each other until they fell.

At any rate, long story short, the one major thing that the characters of Batman and Superman have in common is their reverence for life. Neither kill for any reason. Hence the current schism between Wonder Woman and Clark & Bruce. She killed and perhaps even justifiably so, but neither one of them can condone her act.

“Smallville” however is an animal of a different color. I’ve often wondered over the years if any of the writers were even familiar with the character beyond the movie they probably saw as children if then. Their reverence for the subject matter is often in question in my opinion. Also in my opinion I think they try too hard to make the character someone others can relate to much more than they try to make him someone people can look up to. People seem to be much better with the idea of killing than they used to and I have to echo the sentiment mentioned earlier from “Kingdom Come”… "They chose the hero who would kill over the one who wouldn't and look what it got them"

Comment

Originally posted by All about Clark
      Yeah, and that reason was to mess with all of your heads.

If Clark wasn't prepared to kill, he wouldn't have been there.
      Being prepared to in theory and in fact are two separate things. When push came to shove, he could have decided not to kill him... but that decision was taken out of his hands.

Originally posted by hanemg

“Smallville” however is an animal of a different color. I’ve often wondered over the years if any of the writers were even familiar with the character beyond the movie they probably saw as children if then. Their reverence for the subject matter is often in question in my opinion.
      And where does it say that converting a character/story to a different medium means there needs to be a reverence? It's better to just write a good story (stay with me... I know that the story is sometimes bad so hush) than to ruin one by trying to shoehorn it into a prelude- this is a version of superman when he was a teen- it's not canon as far as I know. Just like superman in the movies having a child isn't canon. Look at them as completely different universes with similarities, and you'll avoid being disappointed in the changes.
      Last edited by wraith808; 03-25-2007, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Yea, Clark said that he wanted to kill Titan but then Martha said that he was angry before he had ever heard of Titan. Clark had alot of built up anger that he was taking out upon Titan. Clark wanted to kill him but didnt actually kill him. Titan impaled himself with his blade. The definition of a hero is to find out when the greater good will be served. To kill Titan or any other villain to save others from being hurt or killed is the price that must be paid.

Comment

Originally posted by wraith808
          And where does it say that converting a character/story to a different medium means there needs to be a reverence? It's better to just write a good story (stay with me... I know that the story is sometimes bad so hush) than to ruin one by trying to shoehorn it into a prelude- this is a version of superman when he was a teen- it's not canon as far as I know. Just like superman in the movies having a child isn't canon. Look at them as completely different universes with similarities, and you'll avoid being disappointed in the changes.
          I highly doubt anyone would make such an issue about a character's ideals, principles, motivations, what are the things he's supposed to do or not, reverence for life or not, if this show is about some other kind of hero instead of the future Superman himself. There's a reason why he's the most well-known superhero all around the world and in the comics itself, as an inspiration and regarded as the leader where the rest of the superheroes and the public look up to him.

For me personally, they can change everything they want in Smallville, change canon or timelines or bring in characters from the whole comic universe or play all the love triangles to death or whatever, but just keep the essence of Superman intact. Though if we're strictly looking from the entertainment perspective, I definitely have no problems with Smallville

Comment

Superman has only killed once in main continuity.

He executed Zod with kryptonite.

Zod's back from the dead now anyways so in the end Superman hasnt killed anyone.

He didnt even kill Doomsday. He only knocked him out. Imperiex killed Doomsday by disintigrating him to the bone.

Comment

He did *try* to kill doomsday. His last blow was an *intent* to kill. My point is that Clark never got to that point- his blow was not an *intent* to kill, which was why he was shocked when he rolled him over and he was impaled on the spike.

Comment

Doomsday had no heartbeat, therefore not alive. how could anyone kill that which wasn't alive to start with?

Comment

The definition of a hero is to find out when the greater good will be served. To kill Titan or any other villain to save others from being hurt or killed is the price that must be paid.
                  The definition of some heros maybe. But not a superhero. Superheros, at least ones like Superman and Batman, never kill for the "greater good". They try to accomplish the greater good without killing, and doing so is what makes them heros. If Superman was not limited by his code of honor he probably could never lose. I think it has been said that humans are Superman's weakness, not Kryptonite. But the fact is, superheros are all about individuals, not the "greater good". Take Spiderman. He was given the choice to save Mary Jane or a cable car full of children. But he didn't make the choice. He saved them both. When superheros are given the choice between killing and allowing others to die, they don't make the choice. They save the innocents without killing the evil. That's what makes them heros.

EDIT: Yet, I don't think Clark is abandoning this. I don't think he would have killed Titan even if he hadn't landed on hs own spike. And the main point is, he still regretted it. As he gets closer to being Superman, he begins to follow more and more the Superman code. This may even be why Martian Manhunter has come--to teach him what it means to be a superhero.

Comment

I don't think that Clark was "out of character" per say in Combat.
                    I am sure that Superman has had to "desire" to kill, probably based on the knowledge that no other option is available.
                    The remorse is the key.
                    If Clark didn't kill Dust-Boy who killed Alicia, and that was probably the biggest example of self-control we have seen Clark exert, I don't think any of the "deaths" in Smallville can be viewed as "on purpose".

Though it would be nice if the writers did a better job with these things.

Comment

I don't think they would ever show him killing "on purpose" anyway, that simply would be the last straw even with all Superman/superhero standards that have been lowered for this version of Clark on Smallville. Self-control seems to be a running theme for Clark whenever the writers put him in a furious mode. This is a guy who could bend steel with his hands so it definitely takes a lot of self-restraint when he proceeds to squeeze the life out of someone like in Pariah, Vengeance and Crimson.

Though I do wish he'd start toning down his powers WRT the bad guys, I still cringe every time he slams people against walls and throws them around like rag dolls, and doesn't pay attention when someone else is about to get killed along with the people he wanted to save (eg Trespass, Freak).

Comment

Zoners like Titan have one purpose and that is to destroy. Unlike other criminals he could not be rehabilitated or even incarcerated any place other than in the phantom zone. Either CK killed Titan or he would have killed both him and Lois. A fully trained Superman may have had options but SV's CK did not!

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Superman, Killer...?

Originally posted by hanemg
                          As one of those comic buffs I think I can speak for the record that Superman has a code AGAINST killing. It's actually a pretty major part of the character and has been used as the main point in many stories. ...
                          All I've got to say is a great big "WORD" to your entire post (cut down here for the sake of brevity).

Look, y'all, I get "not following canon." Heck, I'll go along with it and view the SV series as one big, fat 'Elseworlds'-palooza.

And if it were any other hero, I could even go along with changing the essentials of character. But it's not any other hero. It's THE hero. And as THE hero, Superman has some inherent qualities and virtues that I don't think can be negotiated.

Maybe your idea of a hero is more Machivellian (the ends justifying the means, and all that) than mine, and that's fine, but to make Superman a death-dealer is to step over the line, IMO. Just because we can relate or we'd do the same thing in his shoes doesn't make his decision to kill RIGHT. (Of course, what "right" means is probably debatable, too, but that's another thing.) His ideals and ethos are supposed to be higher than the norm; that's why people really look up to him. Not just because he smashes guys real good.

The kill was intentional. Maybe not the method, but certainly the outcome, as clearly evidenced in his dialogue. Clark meant to do some killin'. If it hadn't been the spike, it would have been another Super-punch. I think that's plain as day.

YES, the fight was exciting to watch. Absolutely. But then I remembered that this was SUPERMAN. Maybe the teenaged version, maybe before he had any good sense about what he was doing, but at the end of the day, it was SUPERMAN. KILLING.

Did Clark have another choice? I don't know. But it didn't appear he cared to find out. And that's a problem for me.

Comment

Clark definitely killed Titan and I don't agree with the idea of trying to paint it otherwise. Manslaughter may not be murder, but it is still killing. However, I don't have a problem with Clark killing Titan since he's not really superman yet and It makes sense that he killed an enemy or two before he develops his non-killing code as he progresses to become superman.

I do see the point with superman and not killing though because Superman is supposed to be this perfect, and completely ridiculous to me in someways, hero who is your stereotypical kinda perfect hero who can do no wrong. Atleast thats how the comics were for a longtime up until more recent years when the idea of humanising heroes grew, mostly brought in by Marvel and their sorts of heroes.

Overall I don't think its that bad a move since superman has made the mistake of killing before as people mentioned with Zod. I don't think its that out there to think he killed a zoner like titan when he was younger before he had a well developed code.

Comment

No excuses, He wanted to kill Titan and he did it ........that´s it

Comment

Originally posted by RedKRules
                                No excuses, He wanted to kill Titan and he did it ........that´s it
                                His intention was to kill from the beginning. He told Chloe he was going to kill Titan and he did. Murderer or not, he did what he planned to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎