Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by boywithbluehanger
    For the CW shows, 6 mill is good. 5 mill is healthy. 4 mill is just ok. And anything lower is "blah" to "not good". (Which makes up the majority of the CW dramas.) So yeah, the ratings sucked this week. Regardless of why the ratings were low, they were.
    Actually, for a netlet like the CW, 3 million is considered good, 4 million great, 5 million excellent, and 6 million would have the execs weeping with joy. This was how the ratings for the WB and UPN were judged back in the (not so distant) day, and I think the same must apply to the CW. And, the fact that the CW is seen in fewer markets than the WB and UPN means that those "rules" would apply even more to them.

So, 4 million viewers for an episode of SV is good in terms of the overall network. It's when comparing the ratings for individual episodes that SV suffers.

As for the 17th episode of each season being low, there's a reason for that. The quality of SV's seasons always seems to drop around this time of year. It's an unfortunate trend for this show. A season starts strong, seems to have focus. But, around the halfway mark and beyond, it's like they lose their way. And the ratings drop. If the end of SV seasons were as strong as (or stronger than) the beginnings, I doubt you'd see the same kind of drop in ratings.

Were the ratings hurt by basketball? Yes. But other factors (including disappointed in the previous episode, and dissatisfaction with the seasonal arc in general, and all the breaks we've been getting) also play a part.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dannyblue1

As for the 17th episode of each season being low, there's a reason for that. The quality of SV's seasons always seems to drop around this time of year. It's an unfortunate trend for this show. A season starts strong, seems to have focus. But, around the halfway mark and beyond, it's like they lose their way. And the ratings drop. If the end of SV seasons were as strong as (or stronger than) the beginnings, I doubt you'd see the same kind of drop in ratings.
      Did you take into consideration of season 2 and 3? They were great towards the end. However I don't agree with you on this. In the south it is spring and everyone is doing outdoor activities and whatnot so to say this is of course your opinion. No one knows for sure why the ratings drop or go up.

Comment

• Originally posted by trying2b
        Did you take into consideration of season 2 and 3? They were great towards the end. However I don't agree with you on this. In the south it is spring and everyone is doing outdoor activities and whatnot so to say this is of course your opinion. No one knows for sure why the ratings drop or go up.
        Oh, I never said the weather had nothing to do with the ratings. But would the ratings be higher if more viewers weren't quite as disappointed as they seem to be? I think so.

There are always many different factors that go into the ratings. But I happen to think that "Combat" had a lot of different factors taking chunks out of the ratings.

1. Basketball took a chunk.

2. The fact that some viewers outright disliked "Promise" enough not to want to see the next episode took a chunk.

3. The time of year took a chunk.

4. General viewer dissatisfaction took a chunk.

5. Lack of promotion took a chunk.

And all of these chunks added up to a pretty big dip in the ratings.

I just don't think it can be argued that the ratings would be higher if more viewers were actually pleased with the show right now. Would their still have been a dip in "Combat's" ratings? Maybe. But it wouldn't have been as deep.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dannyblue
          Oh, I never said the weather had nothing to do with the ratings. But would the ratings be higher if more viewers weren't quite as disappointed as they seem to be? I think so.

There are always many different factors that go into the ratings. But I happen to think that "Combat" had a lot of different factors taking chunks out of the ratings.

1. Basketball took a chunk.

2. The fact that some viewers outright disliked "Promise" enough not to want to see the next episode took a chunk.

3. The time of year took a chunk.

4. General viewer dissatisfaction took a chunk.

5. Lack of promotion took a chunk.

And all of these chunks added up to a pretty big dip in the ratings.

I just don't think it can be argued that the ratings would be higher if more viewers were actually pleased with the show right now. Would their still have been a dip in "Combat's" ratings? Maybe. But it wouldn't have been as deep.
          ITA. CW can't be happy with the trend lately.

Comment

• I don't know why every one is hating on Promise. It was a good episode. Good acting and directing. And if you look at the ratings Promise was one of the most highest ratings of the seaon. Combat was an equally great episode. You can't blame Promise of the bad ratings you can blame that College Basketball knocked off some of the major markets were CW broadcasts. And y would u be happy that the ratings were so this week? This will prove to Al/Miles that people want to see Clana because the ratings were with Clana than with Lexana. And that's all I have to say about this.

Comment

• Hello??? Am I the only one that liked Promise?!
              Just the fact that Clark showed major emotion made it a plus for me! It's nice to see him emotional rather than just blank as usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bware
                Hello??? Am I the only one that liked Promise?!
                Just the fact that Clark showed major emotion made it a plus for me! It's nice to see him emotional rather than just blank as usual.
                You are not the only one that liked promise (just look at the poll in the rate this episode thread for it.) Always remember that in real life as with on this site the whiners and haters (and even just those who disliked it) will always have a louder voice than those that like something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bware
                  Hello??? Am I the only one that liked Promise?!
                  I liked it. My parents who live in another state also liked Promise. Tigress the lady that does the weekly reviews also liked it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Routh

There was a HUGE break after Lucy aired, but there wasn't after Hypnotic, and they both fell considerably. And some people just cannot face the fact that Smallville on the CW will never reach the numbers of Smallville on the WB, because the CW has a CONSIDERABLY lower amount of stations than the WB did.

I'd LOVE to se a source for this. I never had the WB when I was in college, I had UPN, so I was forced to watch Smallville at 2:00 AM on Sunday mornings on our NBC affiliate. THAT was rough. when WB and UPN merged, they turned my UPN into WB. So If more UPN's were turned into CW's, and WB's are also CW's I can't possibly see how there would be a"CONSIDERABLY lower amount". The whole purpose of that merger was to reach a broader audience and consolidate 2 networks that only had enough decent shows to put on one network. Show me a source, I'll believe you, don't and i'll chalk it up to BS statistics created by you in a feeble attempt to make yourself look more intelligent than you are.

Originally posted by Kal-alien
                    they turned my UPN into WB. .
                    I meant CW, not WB, sorry for the confusion

Comment

• Originally posted by Kal-alien
                      Show me a source, I'll believe you, don't and i'll chalk it up to BS statistics created by you in a feeble attempt to make yourself look more intelligent than you are.

That is fricking hilarious!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by trying2b
                        Season 2's ratings were still strong at the end I believe. Rosetta was the 17th episode there, and got some of Smallville's best ever ratings

I can't remember if season 3 dropped a lot or not, but it is true that seasons 4 and 5 both saw the show take a downturn from the first half of the season. Even season 3 was a lot stronger in the beginning from Exile-Asylum (excluding Magnetic), and then started introducing the mid season filler

Comment

• Some times ratings effect they type of episodes in the middle of the season but never at the end.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎