Half-hour breakdowns for both SV and SN:

Smallville
    8:00 p.m. - V: 4.17 million, A18-49: 1.8/ 5
    8:30 p.m. - V: 5.00 million, A18-49: 2.1/ 6

Supernatural
    9:00 p.m. - V: 3.60 million, A18-49: 1.5/ 4
    9:30 p.m. - V: 3.47 million, A18-49: 1.4/ 3

Comment

I'm sad. There's 13 million ugly stupid people watching ugly betty rather than Smallville.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilovebeinglost
        I'm sad. There's 13 million ugly stupid people watching ugly betty rather than Smallville.
        Never seen the show, but anything on ABC/NBC > anything on TheCW.

You can't compare first rated networks to a second rated network like THECW.

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
        Half-hour breakdowns for both SV and SN:

Smallville
        8:00 p.m. - V: 4.17 million, A18-49: 1.8/ 5
        8:30 p.m. - V: 5.00 million, A18-49: 2.1/ 6

Supernatural
        9:00 p.m. - V: 3.60 million, A18-49: 1.5/ 4
        9:30 p.m. - V: 3.47 million, A18-49: 1.4/ 3
        It went up, rather than down like Supernatural did.

So people weren't being turned away.
        Last edited by Kreukie; 03-16-2007, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Why hasn't Smallville been picked up by one of the big networks?

Comment

The WB or now The CW would have to cancel the show first which hasn't and won't happen.

Plus, I highly doubt that a major network would pick it up now. Going into a 7th and likely final season.

Try to enjoy what is left because it will be gone way too soon.

Comment

Its so odd that even 5 years later people are still comparing shows on the CW (then WB) to the four major networks.

The CW is like a cable/satellite station, since its not broadly syndicated in many towns and cities, and it only has a very limited audience and a strong cult following for each one of its successful shows.

Being within the 5 million range is impressive for shows that are only meant to cling on to a specific following rather than a show that is centered on reaching out to millions of new viewers each week like LOST, HEROES and CSI. Heck Smallville could be costing Til Death and War At Home a comeback season due to the low ratings their shows had against Smallville and those shows were on FOX at 8pm!

Not bad for a semi nationally shown network up against shows like Survivor and new powerhouses like Ugly Betty and The Office!

Comment

To be fair, The WB had a higher potential for viewers.
                During season 2 or 3, (can't remember and I don't have ratings before season 4), Smallville had over 8 million viewers on a regular basis.
                Just last year it had 6.4 million for Aqua.

Believe it or not 7th Heaven got over 10 million at one point.

The highest rated CW show is the Top Model finale just over 6 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreukie
                  Seems like the ratings seem to drop by this time in the season, regardless the story lines, so for Promise to do a 4.58 is actually...um good:
                  Yet earlier this season there were arguments that the ratings were down (although I always thought they were really good for the CW), and that Clana would give ratings a significant bump. I suspect that The CW believed that would be the case, asked for changes to the show, and promoted Promise so much in the hopes that it would be as much of an event episode as Justice was. So yeah, considering the hype and promotion, the ratings aren't that great. Hypnotic and Lucy just isn't a fair comparision because they were both just filler, and didn't receive half of the promotion and expectations

And the CW were promoting it in terms of Clana, and "Will love conquer all", so I get the impression that they're not going to be looking at it in terms of how past episodes did at this time, so much as feel disappointed that Promise didn't even reach 5 million viewers. Because, from the way the promotion was going all out, I'm guessing that's the numbers they were looking for at the very least

Comment

Originally posted by Naomi
                    [B]Yet earlier this season there were arguments that the ratings were down (although I always thought they were really good for the CW), and that Clana would give ratings a significant bump. I suspect that The CW believed that would be the case, asked for changes to the show, and promoted Promise so much in the hopes that it would be as much of an event episode as Justice was.
                    The ratings WERE down as compared to last seasons numbers:

This season:

1. Final number for Zod - 5.0 million viewers.
                    2. Final number for Sneeze - 5 million viewers.
                    3. Final number for Wither - 4.9 million viewers.
                    4. Final number for Arrow - 4.7 million viewers.
                    5. Final number for Reunion - 4.8 million viewers.
                    6. Final number for Fallout - 5.0 million viewers.
                    7. Final number for Rage - 4.5 million viewers.
                    8. Final number for Static - 4.7 million viewers.
                    9. Final number for Subterranean - 4.3 million viewers.
                    10. Final number for Hydro - 4.7 million viewers.
                    11.Final number for Justice - 5.3 million viewers.
                    12. Final number for Labyrinth - 5.0 million viewers.
                    13. Final number for Crimson 5.0 million viewers.
                    14. Final number for Trespass - 4.7 million viewers.
                    15. Final numbers for Freak - 4.8 million viewers.

Last Season:

1. Arrival - final number 5.9 million viewers.
                    2. Mortal - final number 5.9 million viewers
                    3. Hidden - final number 5.9 million viewers.
                    4. Aqua - final number 6.4 million viewers.
                    5. Thirst - Final Number 5.8 million viewers
                    6. Exposed - Final Number 5.4 Million Viewers
                    7. Splinter - Final Number 5.5 Million Viewers
                    8. Solitude - Final Number 6.0 Million Viewers
                    9. Lexmas - Final Number 5.4 Million Vewiers
                    10. Fanatic - Final Number 5.5 Million Viewers
                    11. Lockdown - Final Number 5.0 million Viewers.
                    12. Reckoning - Final Number 6.3 million Viewers.
                    13. Vengence - Final Number 5.4 million Viewers.
                    14. Tomb - Final Number 5.4 million Viewers.
                    15. Cyborg - Final Number 6.2 million Viewers.

So yeah, considering the hype and promotion, the ratings aren't that great. Hypnotic and Lucy just isn't a fair comparision because they were both just filler, and didn't receive half of the promotion and expectations
                    Lockdown was nowhere near as hyped up as Justice and it did 5.0.

So I guess heavy promos doesn't always work in favor for the series, because Justice was promoted more than Promise was and it wasn't shown after a month break and yet it didn't do any better than Run, Aqua or Cyborg and not much of a difference than an episode like Lockdown which was just a filler.

And the CW were promoting it in terms of Clana, and "Will love conquer all", so I get the impression that they're not going to be looking at it in terms of how past episodes did at this time, so much as feel disappointed that Promise didn't even reach 5 million viewers. Because, from the way the promotion was going all out, I'm guessing that's the numbers they were looking for at the very least
                    Look at the numbers for the 3rd arc of last season again:

16. Hypnotic - Final Number 4.8 million viewers.
                    17.Void - Final Number 4.2 million viewers.
                    18. Fragile - Final Number 3.9 million viewers
                    19. Mercy - Final Number 4.4 million viewers
                    20. Fade - Final number 4.3 million viewers.
                    21. Oracle - Final number 4.8 million viewers
                    22. Vessel - 4.58 million viewers.

Only two episodes average higher than Promise, Hypnotic -- a heavy promoted Clana episode and the second episode to the finale.

What do the episodes in between the heavy Clana episode and Oracle all have in common?

The start of Lexana.

So if you're trying to tell me TPTB are better off sticking with Lexana than having it fall, than I think you're wrong to believe that because nothing shows that Lexana does any justice to the numbers.
                    Last edited by Kreukie; 03-16-2007, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Wow. A jump of almost a million viewers.

Comment

Actually as long as the Final Ratings don't drop, Promise ratings are equal to last season finale.

522 - Vessel - 4.58 million

Comment

Originally posted by Best Episode - 321
                          Actually as long as the Final Ratings don't drop, Promise ratings are equal to last season finale.

522 - Vessel - 4.58 million
                          Which was promoted way more than Promise since it was the finale.

Comment

The ratings are okay.

I thought they could've done a much better job with the trailer for this episode. Something like that A-Channel trailer would've been far more interesting to watch.

The show didn't lose 1.2 million viewers from the last episode to this one tho, so I consider that good.

It's funny that this episode, heck this whole second half is doing better than season 4 back then 2 years ago.
                            Last edited by monstra; 03-16-2007, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I hope the final rating is LOWER. Promise was so stupid and they keep dragging it on and on and on.

Clark "protected" Lana and now Lana is "protecting" Clark.. phfff

She is so used too. Been with 5 guys or so, pregrant, and now married...

AND SUPERMAN CRIED!? WTF?

Comment

Originally posted by Kreukie
                                The ratings WERE down as compared to last seasons numbers:
                                I'm not saying that they weren't. I actually thought ratings for Smallville were really good at the start of this season, considering it's the highest rated drama on the CW. But people did argue that ratings were so awful, and bringing back Clana would see the ratings that season 5 pulled in on the WB. And Promise is an episode that promoted Clana heavily, but the CW is getting the exact same numbers for Smallville that they would have done if they had left well alone. That's my argument.

Clana hasn't given them the much talked about ratings bump so far, in either Trespass or Promise which promoted Clana the most (Trespass was nothing but Lana and Clana in the trailers). And if Promise had of done as well as Justice, or higher, I'm sure that people would be racing to credit the promotion of Clana for it. But so far it hasn't made much of a difference clearly.
                                What do the episodes in between the heavy Clana episode and Oracle all have in common?

The start of Lexana.
                                The first half of season 5 was a lot stronger than the second half, I don't think anyone will say differently. I've always found it a bit of a stretch to attribute the ratings to Clana, and blame anything bad on Lexana. I assumed that ratings dropped in season 5 because there was real momentum in the first half. Then ratings were strong, so A&M start stalling again, and viewers got tired. More filler and sex filled episodes like Hypnotic, which was just what saw season 4 not bring in ratings. If ratings can be connected to anything, it's about quality of the storyline and SV moving foward IMO, not on whatever ship is being hyped. If Lexana happened in the first half of season 5, and Clana in the second half, do you honestly believe that Clana would have such a big affect, and bring in the ratings that early season 5 episodes did? Because most viewers don't watch for ships, they watch as long as the writing for Clark and Lex is strong. And early season 5 had some brilliant writing with the FOS and Prof.Fine as well
                                So if you're trying to tell me TPTB are better off sticking with Lexana than having it fall, than I think you're wrong to believe that because nothing shows that Lexana the episodes any justice.
                                I wasn't referring to Lexana. I was talking about the CW bringing back the Clana in the belief that ratings would rise by a lot. I'd say that actual good episodes like Justice are far more likely to bring in ratings than anything to do with ships. And assasinating characters was about the worst way possible to bring Clana back anyway
                                Last edited by Naomi; 03-16-2007, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎