Rate this episode: Loved it? Hated it?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have just watched it, i am slowly watching season 6 on dvd so i don't have to wait for ages for the next season to come out!

Great episode and i can't wait to find out what Chloe's ability is!

Comment

• It was a great episode but not on my top.Liked the plot,the FOTW was tight, and chloe being a metor freak was tight

Comment

• Wow I felt like I just watched a movie. The dialog was mature and the story had depth, progressing everyone's character. I kinda love this season. Gotta keep the tape rolling, I hope MR directed more.

Comment

• For the most part I liked this episode, but I wasn't wild that they made Chloe meteor infected. The only good thing about that was it gave her and Clark a great scene together near the end. Lex is really a MB in training.

Comment

• Not a fan of this episode. Partly due to hindsight, which is, of course, always 20/20. At this point in the show, they were clearly phasing out meteor freaks as villains of the week. The main focus of this season was the escaped Zoners and only four episodes in S6 had a FOTW: "Reunion", "Static", "Subterranean" and "Hydro". And, in half of them ("Static" and "Hydro"), Clark never encounters the FOTW and is involved in a completely different plot. Meteor freaks were involved in the 33,1 matter, but they established in "Justice", that Lex is setting up facilities anywhere where there's evidence of metahumans (hence, not all 33,1 prisoners were meteor freaks and they also establish that there are non-Kryptonite metahumans in other places of the world) In season 7, only "Fierce" had FOTW. The S7 episode "Cure" also established that there are now a surgical method to cure meteor infection (removing their powers and any psychotic behavior, caused by the infection).

The last two seasons, were completely devoid of Freaks of the Week. Season 8 had a few, but mostly in minor roles. Randy Klein ("Prey") was a minor character, who served as a red herring, in the matter of murders committed by Doomsday (throwing the scent off Davis). And Sebastian Kane ("Identity") was part of Lois' plot and not the main plotline, about Clark developing a dual identity. In "Infamous", they had a returning FOTW in Linda Lake, but the usage of her was likely mostly motivated by her already knowing Clark's secret and being an established evil journalist (saving them the trouble of introducing a brand-new character, who has to learn Clark's secret ASAP, to move to plot forward). Some of the members of the Injustice League were said to be meteor freaks, but they don't confirm if all of them are meteor freaks. The main plot of season 8 concerned the Kryptonian creature Doomsday, with Brainiac (inside Chloe) serving as a secondary/recurring antagonist. They may not have entirely forgotten about the meteor freaks, but they were increasingly becoming a thing of the past.

So, in the middle of this phasing out, they introduced the concept that Chloe was a meteor freak (nor am I crazy about the powers they gave her). Later going so far, as revealing her mother to be one too.

Even judging the episode on its own, I found the episode weak. It opens at Lana's "bachelorette party" (like anyone cares about the marriage plot), which is just her and Chloe at a bowling alley. Some random guy, of course, falls for her and flirts with her (failing to notice the ring on her finger). The guy turns out to be a telekinetic MF. Yet, when he's being abducted, he doesn't attempt to use it to defend himself. Maybe they have some tech, that cancels out his powers, but we get no hint at that. The whole bowling alley scene felt badly edited. First Chloe and Lana took a photo, the MF came over to them and afterwards Tobias Rice shows up with the Doctor. Yet, they later show him having been there, while Chloe and Lana took said photo. Then Chloe is revealed to be a latent meteor freak and is abducted, but is returned the next morning. Oddly enough, no hitmen after come after her, when the tagged MF are to be killed. Okay, Clark destroyed the transmitter, but Lex (and, by extention, the 33,1 staff) would still be aware that Chloe is still alive (you know, when she shows up at his and Lana's wedding).

They also try to add drama, by having Chloe convinced that this means that she'll either die or go psycho. She insists that every meteor freak, that she's ever encountered, have either died or ended up in Belle Reve, which just isn't true. It feels like they dealt with that kind of prejudice in "Extinction" and Chloe should know better by now.

Given that Tobias couldn't register Clark's powers (due to him not being meteor infected), it's too bad that they didn't use Tobias to end Lex' obsession with Clark. For years, Lex has been obsessed with the idea, that Clark is hiding something (potentially, that he has superpowers) and here they now have a character, who can put an end to this obsession. Sadly, they didn't take it.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎