Collapse
No announcement yet.

Destiny’s Children

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, everyone, for your patience. Here's the next section, from Clark's POV.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Part 4.5

Clark hovers above the ground for a moment and then touches down as lightly as he can so that the landing won’t be too jarring.

“Again, again,” Teddy chants enthusiastically.

“Not tonight,” Clark says.

Now comes the difficult part. Chloe is as limp as a rag doll in his left arm and the children are squirming in his right. He needs to put them down without dropping anyone in the mud. He might be strong enough to lift a building, but he doesn’t have enough arms to juggle an unconscious woman and two small kids.

He flips Chloe up so that she’s flopped over his shoulder. It’s not exactly dignified, but, Hell, Chloe won’t notice. With his left arm now free he can lower the kids down so that they’re standing on their feet.

Teddy looks around a bit, but Lizzie just stands and stares up at Clark.

Clark readjusts Chloe so that now she’s draped in his arms, not over his shoulder. He’d rather she wake up in this position, although it doesn’t look like she’s going to wake up anytime soon.

“Is this a farm?” Teddy asks.

“Yeah,” Clark says as he watches the steady rise and fall of Chloe’s chest. At least she’s breathing normally.

Lizzie, still standing at Clark’s feet, raises her hands over her head. “Up,” she says.

“No more flying tonight, Lizzie,” Clark says. “Maybe we’ll do it again tomorrow.”

“Are you a farmer?” Teddy starts to walk over to the barn.

“Teddy, don’t wander off. We’re going to go inside the house.” Clark takes a few steps in the direction of the dark farmhouse. Lizzie doesn’t move.

“Up,” she says again.

“No, Lizzie.”

“She wants you to pick her up,” Teddy says.

“Oh.” Clark looks down at the little girl and now he can see that there are dark circles under her eyes and her mouth is set in a pathetic frown. “Sorry.”

He squats down so that Chloe’s body is resting on his knees. He extends his right arm to Lizzie and says, “Hold on to my neck.”

She climbs up, wraps her little arms around his neck and rests her head on his shoulder.

Clark’s not sure why, but he likes how Lizzie clings to him. It feels comfortable.

He stands up. “Come on, Teds,” he calls and walks to the house.

“Where are the animals?” Teddy follows behind him.

“They’re asleep.”

“When will they wake up?”

“In the morning.”

By the time they reach the back porch there’s a light on in a second floor window and when he opens the door he can hear his mother’s feet on the stairs.

“Clark?” she calls down to him.

“Who’s that?” Teddy asks.

“My mom,” Clark says as he shuts the door.

“Is she a farmer too?”

Martha is now at the bottom of the steps. She wears a bathrobe over her nightgown. Clark hasn’t turned on the light yet, so she peers into the dark kitchen. “What’s going on?”

“You’re Clark’s mom,” Teddy says.

Martha smiles at the sound of the boy’s voice. “Yes, I am. Who are you?”

“I’m Teddy.”

“Hello Teddy.” She kneels down in front of him so she can see him better. As soon as she does she shoots a look to her son. “Clark.”

She knows in an instant what it took him almost a week to figure out.

“Can you grab this one?” he asks, motioning to Lizzie, whose grip around his neck is loosening.

Martha stands up and takes the girl from Clark.

“Mommy sleeping,” Lizzie says before settling into Martha’s arms.

Martha studies the unconscious woman. “Will she be alright?” she asks.

“I think so,” Clark says and he starts to move from the kitchen into the living room. “They drugged her with something, but I think it just needs time to wear off.”

“Who drugged her? What’s going on?”

Clark glances at the children and then says, “Can we talk about it later?”

“At least tell me who she is and why you’ve never mentioned her before.” Martha says.

Clark lays Chloe down on the living room couch. “Her name is Chloe Sullivan,” he says as he spreads a blanket over her. “I just met her a week ago.”

“Clark.” His mother doesn’t believe him.

He looks her directly in the eyes and says, “I swear to you, we met for the first time last week.”

Teddy has wandered into the living room. Now he sits down on the couch and rests his head on his mother’s legs. “When can we go home?” he asks.

“Let’s find you a bed,” Martha says as she shifts the sleeping Lizzie from one arm to the other.

“I’m not tired,” Teddy yawns.

“Of course you aren’t,” Martha says and she holds out her hand, “but maybe you’d like to see where Clark used to sleep when he was a boy.”

Teddy silently takes her hand and follows her to the stairs.

Martha turns and looks at her son. “We’ll talk in the morning,” she says.

Clark nods, then pulls a chair closer to the couch and sits down. He closes his eyes, not because he’s tired, but because he needs to concentrate.

About a mile away he can hear a car, but it’s moving away from the Kent farm. There are countless creatures in the fields and woods surrounding the house, but he can tell from their footsteps that they all have four legs. There are no other people around. They’re safe. Finally.

He can hear his mother as she walks back to her bedroom. The children breathe slowly but deeply as they sleep in his bed.

His children.

He always thought that he didn’t want children, that he wouldn’t make a good father. Now he can’t imagine the world without Teddy and Lizzie. He wants to be there for them, to help raise them. He has to help raise them. No one else will be able to explain to them why they’re different. No one else will be able to teach them how to use their abilities. He knows what it’s like to grow up this way alone. He smiles at the thought that his children won’t have to go through that.

He opens his eyes and looks at their mother.

Chloe.

He’s not sure what he feels about her. Certainly he admires her. She’s been through so much and still managed to stay strong. And he can’t deny that he’s attracted to her.

He thinks about the first time in her apartment and how much he wanted to kiss her. Now he wishes he had.

He closes his eyes again and listens to her heart beat, slow and steady. He leans back in the chair and feels his body relax. Maybe he is tired, because the thought of falling asleep to the rhythm of Chloe’s heartbeat is really nice.

His eyes shoot open. He can’t have heard right.

He leans forward and listens again.

It’s there, faint, but unmistakable, another heart beat.

(tbc)

Click here for Part Five
    Last edited by Firebunny; 06-08-2007, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Awww. That is soo sweet. Can't wait to read the end.

Comment

I knew Martha would know instantly That conversation should be interesting in the morning!! And I loved the way Clark has realized she is expecting again I look forward to the next part I can hardly wait

Comment

I loved Teddy and Lizzie's reactions in this chapt. Daddy Clark always gets to me. Keep it up.

Comment

I loved the update. Daddy Clark is very protective and Martha is very observant! Can't wait to see how Clark explains this!

Comment

sigh*...just beautiful..really...one of the most touching stories i've read...its very different, but very beautiful....

and yeah, daddy!Clark gets to me too...even when there are exploding babies..hee hee

Comment

Unique combination:

very off the beaten track,

and very enjoyable to read!

Comment

His eyes shoot open. He can’t have heard right.

He leans forward and listens again.

It’s there, faint, but unmistakable, another heart beat.
                  Awww - that's just toooo cute!
                  I love how Martha realizes the minute she saw the children that they have to be her son's. It just fits her and her motherly instincts.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy this story. I love it so much, I even went over to my parents to check on an update since my own laptop crashed yesterday. Well, it was so much woth the effort - this update was awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Baily007
                    I can't tell you how much I enjoy this story. I love it so much, I even went over to my parents to check on an update since my own laptop crashed yesterday. Well, it was so much woth the effort - this update was awesome!
                    LOL. That's one of the best compliments I think I've ever gotten. Thanks. I hope your laptop feels better soon.

Here's the last section. back in Chloe's head.

Thanks, everyone, for taking this ride with me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Part Five

Chloe’s lying on a couch and there’s lots of sunlight. Other than that she has no idea where she is. She can hear her children’s voices and she sits up quickly to make sure they’re okay.

They’re on the rug not far from her, playing with some old toy spaceships.

She must have sat up too fast, because now her head is swimming. She slowly lowers herself back down to the couch.

“Let me help you,” a voice says and hovering over her is a middle aged woman with red hair. The look on her face is full of such genuine concern that Chloe can’t help but like her.

She helps Chloe sit up then holds out a mug of coffee to her.

The coffee smells so good. Chloe wishes she could take it. “I can’t,” she says apologetically. The worst thing about being pregnant is that she has to give up caffeine. Chloe is addicted to coffee.

“Where are we?” she asks.

“I’m Martha Kent,” the woman says. “This is my home.”

Chloe looks around. It’s a lovely old house with white woodwork and a stone fireplace.

Not far from her is a picture in a frame of a young boy. The boy looks just like Teddy, but she knows it’s not Teddy.

Martha sees her looking at the picture. They share a glance. Neither woman says anything. There’s no need. They both understand.

“Where’s Clark?” Chloe asks.

“He’s in the barn.”

Chloe moves to stand up.

“You need to rest,” Martha says.

“I’m okay,” Chloe says as she carefully climbs to her feet. “I have to talk to Clark.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clark stands alone in the barn. He’s shoving something made of cloth into a duffle bag. Chloe can’t tell what it is exactly, only that it’s blue and red.

Clark sees her and stops what he’s doing. “Hi,” he says.

“Hi.”

They stare at each other for a long moment. Neither can find the right words.

Finally Chloe speaks. “Our children.”

“Yeah.”

“You didn’t know?”

Clark shakes his head. “All my life I’ve hidden who I am and what I can do,” he says. “I was so careful.”

“But Lionel found out.”

“He gave me the job at Luthorcorp to keep me close.”

Chloe bites her lower lip and looks at the ground. She’s not sure this makes sense, but nothing in her life has made any sense in a very long time.

“I didn’t realize it until you mentioned the meteor rocks,” Clark says.

“They make you sick too?”

He nods. “At first I thought there was someone else like me, but then Lois said you didn’t know who the father was and I knew I was the one. I started to dig and I found the files.”

Chloe’s trying to figure out what she thinks, but all she knows is that she feels numb inside.

Clark takes a step closer to her. “I know about the baby,” he says. “I want to be involved. I want to be a part of your lives.”

A sad smile spreads across Chloe’s face. “You can’t, Clark. They’ll make the connection. They’ll know where to find us.”

Clark shakes his head. “No,” he says resolutely. “I’m putting an end to this. I’m taking Lionel down.”

“How?” Chloe asks.

Clark smiles. “Trust me,” he says and she does.

“Did you read it?” Lois asks over the phone.

“I’m reading it right now,” Chloe says.

A week has passed and Chloe sits at the Kent kitchen counter. A half eaten slice of pie is on a plate in front of her.

The children are outside with their grandmother, playing with the dog.

In her hands Chloe holds today’s issue of The Daily Planet. Stretched across the front page is a headline that simply reads, “Superman!” Underneath is a blurry picture of a man in blue and red flying across the Metropolis skyline.

“I came up with the name,” Lois says. “I actually saw him fly.” She’s practically squealing with excitement.

“It’s amazing,” Chloe says.

Further down on the page is Lionel Luthor’s mug shot with the headline “Luthor Arrested.” The article goes on to detail how, with Superman’s help, the authorities were able to expose Luthorcorp’s illegal experiments on humans. There’s a list of the experiments, but the one she was a part of isn’t mentioned.

Both articles have Lois Lane’s byline.

“It’s safe to come back now,” Lois says. “Lionel’s in jail and his son is taking over the company. The press is so bad; they’re changing the name to Lexcorp.”

“We’ll see,” Chloe says and picks at the pie. “I kind of like where we are now.”

The screen door opens and shuts behind her. Chloe turns around to see Clark. He must have just arrived.

“I have to go, Lois,” she says, “I’ll talk to you later.” Then she hangs up the phone.

“You’ve already heard the news,” he says motioning to the paper.

“Yeah.” Chloe hops off the kitchen stool. She’s not sure why but she’s suddenly nervous, nervous in a good way.

“It’s over,” he says. “They can’t touch you now.”

“Thanks.” The word hardly seems enough to convey the gratitude she feels.

“I did it for both of us,” he says. He crosses to her and takes her hands. “I want to make things right. I want us to start over.”

She smiles up at him. “Okay,” she says. “Let’s start here.”

The End.

I couldn't leave well enough alone and kept writing. For the next installment, Kissing Heaven click here
                    Last edited by Firebunny; 06-08-2007, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Awesome updates and ending!!!!!! I LOVED it!!!!!! The whole story was Very interesting and oringinal, you did a Wonderful job!!!! Your a Wonderful writer too, you do Chlark beautifully!!!! I could really feel the Love and Care between all the characters!! Again, Awesome job and I hope to see more stories from you soon!!!!!!
                      Take Care,
                      Amber

Comment

what a brilliant story. You really got the true sense of Superman - a great man, who does the right thing. This was a beautifully written story. Do you have any other stories round here I can read?

Comment

Oh no it's ended But I loved it. Look forward to more Chlark from you

Comment

Very nice ending to a truly original story! Good job!

Comment

awesome story!!!!
                              i love it!!!
                              Hope on more so great fanfiction from you

Comment

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! It's over! ....very original, sweet, simple, yet really profound...i love that the connection was always there..

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎