No announcement yet.

Political Affiliation?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Political Affiliation?

Okay, my friends and I have been discussing this question for some time now: What is Johnathan Kent's political affiliation? His typical American family values would imply a Republican/Conservative side but something tells me that, with his history with Clark and reluctance against big corporations (Luthorcorp), that he would also lean towards a Democratic/Liberal side. And for that matter, in this election, which side do you think Lex is on?

NOTE: This is not meant to be a discussion about anyone's personal political points of view. This discussion is to be SOLELY about Johnathan and Lex's political affiliation. Please don't discuss politics here unless it has to do with the show or the characters. If, even after the disclaimer, this thread still breaks any rules, feel free to close it, moderators.
    Johnathan - (R)/ Lex - (D)
    0%
    Johnathan - (D)/Lex - (R)
    0%

I can see arguements for both sides

Kent
    Democrat : Is against big corporations. Was once the "little guy" and believes in watching out for that person the most ebcuase there are so many of them. Also seems to be the type to micromanage the budget, which usually democrats do best.

Republican: Believes in strong conservative values. Believes strongly in the concept of personal responsibility, and therefore would most likely be pro-life and anti-welfare.

Luthor
    Republican: Strongly believes in defence and the nessessety for it. Believes that sometimes you have to make sacrifices in order to benifit in the long term. SInt an idealist by any means, and lives in the real world. Also, like Johnathan Kent, he is a big advocater for personal responsibility.

Democrat: Strongly favors corporations responsibility to thier emplyees. Doesnt believe in layoffs. Major advocator for welfare and social security. Believes that no matter how hard you work, sometimes you need a hand up. Also micromanages budgets to maintain individual rights for his workers.

Comment

I voted for Jonathan as the Democrat and Lex as the Republican. At this point in the storyline, Lex wasn't as concerned about his employees as he was at the start of the series. I guess I could see why someone might think he would be, but I don't really see Jonathan as being against welfare, but that's just me. And as for the abortion issue, there are Democrats who are against abortion. One last thing, to me, Clark, Chloe, Lois, and Lana's personalities all seem like that of people who are more on the left. Yes they might have just supported Jonathan because they all know and love him, but they also seemed like they honestly supported what he stood for, political and otherwise. To me, Jonathan seemed like the type of person that would run as an Independent, but they only ever mentioned Jonathan and Lex as the two major candidates in the election, if he were an Independent, you'd think there would have to be at least three major candidates.

Comment

Still, Johnathan is in apsolutly no way a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by KryptonX81
          I can see arguements for both sides

Kent
          Democrat : Is against big corporations. Was once the "little guy" and believes in watching out for that person the most ebcuase there are so many of them. Also seems to be the type to micromanage the budget, which usually democrats do best.

Republican: Believes in strong conservative values. Believes strongly in the concept of personal responsibility, and therefore would most likely be pro-life and anti-welfare.

Luthor
          Republican: Strongly believes in defence and the nessessety for it. Believes that sometimes you have to make sacrifices in order to benifit in the long term. SInt an idealist by any means, and lives in the real world. Also, like Johnathan Kent, he is a big advocater for personal responsibility.

Democrat: Strongly favors corporations responsibility to thier emplyees. Doesnt believe in layoffs. Major advocator for welfare and social security. Believes that no matter how hard you work, sometimes you need a hand up. Also micromanages budgets to maintain individual rights for his workers.
          Are you saying Republicans don't favor corporations being responsible to their employees? You seem to be generalizing everybody who happens to be a Republican. I don't believe Lex is a major advocate of welfare and social security. That is contradictory to you saying he strongly believes in personal responsibility. Welfare and social security are govt. funded programs that take money away from Lex. Lex believes poor people are lazy anyway. Why would he support welfare? He believes in helping his friends from time to tome. That is different than welfare. Are you saying Democrats don't believe in defense? Tell that to Harry Truman, FDR, and LBJ. More wars in America have been started because of Democrats. Your posts doesn't make sense. Lex and Jonathan are not partisans for either party. You have to look at the individual.

Comment

Originally posted by Heilige
            Are you saying Republicans don't favor corporations being responsible to their employees? You seem to be generalizing everybody who happens to be a Republican. I don't believe Lex is a major advocate of welfare and social security. That is contradictory to you saying he strongly believes in personal responsibility. Welfare and social security are govt. funded programs that take money away from Lex. Lex believes poor people are lazy anyway. Why would he support welfare? He believes in helping his friends from time to tome. That is different than welfare. Are you saying Democrats don't believe in defense? Tell that to Harry Truman, FDR, and LBJ. More wars in America have been started because of Democrats. Your posts doesn't make sense. Lex and Jonathan are not partisans for either party. You have to look at the individual.
            I may be generalizing a bit, but usually politicians have to maintain strict party lines in order to gian support, and theses are the parties that have in teh past believed in such things.

Truman, LBJ and FDR have been in favor of strong defence becuase they didnt go and start a war like some other presidents have done. They essentially had a war handed to them from a previous administration or had no toerh choice but to go to war.

Typicly, Democrats have been less in favor of maintaining strong military presence during peacetime.

Also, Lex doesnt believe porr people are lazy. remmeber how he spoke in a very annoyed tone when he spoke about his dad eqating poverty with laziness.

And conisdering all teh charities he has started and all the times he has tried to help the Kents, id imagine hed be for welfare.

Also id like toa dress your statement about wars being started under democrats the most
            -Revolutionary War- None
            -War of 1812- Madison- Democratic/Republican (1800s eqiviland of a democrat)
            -Civil war- Lincoln-Republican
            -Spanish American War- McKinly- Republican
            -World War 1- Wilson- Democrat
            -World War 2- FDR- Democrat
            -Korean War- Eisenhower- Republican
            -Vietnam War- Kennedy- Democrat
            -Gulf War- Bush- Republican
            -Afganistan War-Bush-Republican
            -Iraq War- Bush-Republican

Comment

I may be generalizing a bit, but usually politicians have to maintain strict party lines in order to gian support, and theses are the parties that have in teh past believed in such things.

Truman, LBJ and FDR have been in favor of strong defence becuase they didnt go and start a war like some other presidents have done. They essentially had a war handed to them from a previous administration or had no toerh choice but to go to war.

Typicly, Democrats have been less in favor of maintaining strong military presence during peacetime.

Also, Lex doesnt believe porr people are lazy. remmeber how he spoke in a very annoyed tone when he spoke about his dad eqating poverty with laziness.

And conisdering all teh charities he has started and all the times he has tried to help the Kents, id imagine hed be for welfare.

Also id like toa dress your statement about wars being started under democrats the most
              -Revolutionary War- None
              -War of 1812- Madison- Democratic/Republican (1800s eqiviland of a democrat)
              -Civil war- Lincoln-Republican
              -Spanish American War- McKinly- Republican
              -World War 1- Wilson- Democrat
              -World War 2- FDR- Democrat
              -Korean War- Eisenhower- Republican
              -Gulf War- Bush- Republican
              -Afganistan War-Bush-Republican
              -Iraq War- Bush-Republican
              Charities are not a govt. program. WELFARE is. Alot of people believe welfare should be reformed or abolished. Just because Lex helps the Kents does not mean he is for welfare. Lex was a young man when he was disgusted by what Lionel said. At this point in his life, he agrees with Lionel.

Comment

What about his sponsoring of Black Thursday charities.

Comment

First of all, Lex was feeling guilty about Black Thursday from his own part in it. Second, even most Republicans support several charities. There is a difference between charities and welfare. If someone actually came out and said there were against charities most people would be disgusted with them.

Comment

Still, Johnathan is in apsolutly no way a liberal.
                    No. He's an old-fashioned kind of democrat. He's a blue-collar democrat. Or a yellow dog democrat. Like Jimmy Carter.

Sorry, but the Vietnam War started during the Eisenhower administration. The US was sending military envoys to show the SVA how to fight off the NVA. There was no real troop buildup until the Kennedy administration was almost over.
                    Last edited by Mello Penelo; 03-29-2007, 09:17 AM.

Comment

Jhonathan just doesent seem like the democratic type

Comment

Judging by the evidence:

Jonathan and Martha: Democrats. Lois (who several episodes established as being liberal. Along with showing her not getting alone with conservatives) headed Jonathan's campaign. She later served as Martha's chief of staff. Through her involvement with their political careers, we can make an educated guess about their political party.

Lex: Independent. The 2013 newspaper in "Salvation" identified Lex as running for President as an independent. Might've done the same as a candidate for the Kansas State Senate.
                        Last edited by jon-el87; 10-31-2020, 12:20 AM.

Comment

I don't think that Johnathan is a Democrat, Lex seems to be an Independent with money.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎