Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Lex threaten Lana at the end of the episode?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lex has talked about how Lana is his last good thing, something Clark used to be for him, but he doesn't have that in his life any more. If Lana goes, he has nothing good in his life to counteract the evil parts of his nature.
    But isn't that an implied threat? Subtle to be sure, but certainly implied. Implying to Lana that if she left, who knows what will be unleashed. Its a very manipulative thing to say, IMO (he used to use the same manipulation on Clark). Putting that sort of thing on Lana makes her actions (if she should leave) seem responsible for his actions. If Lex can't control his dark impulses on his own, then he's really a sick puppy, and not really a fit companion for any woman.
    IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Jetta
      I have to disagree here, Lana right now is cutting herself off from everyone in her life that IS good, she not too long ago ok'd the idea of experimenting on meteor freaks and demonstrated that she is power hungry (to me at least) in Subterranean. What good exactly is she brining into this relationship that everyone is mentioning. She's almost as bad as Lex right now, which is pathetic on Lex's part.
      She's had a few bad moments for sure, but even with the Level 33.1 stuff, she framed it within the context of wanting to 'save' the rest of humanity from meteor freaks who invariably try and kill people. Which given her experience with them, is about right Even Chloe said that going meteor was enough to turn someone murderous.

And her wanting power?The line that followed was "think of all the good we can do" and then she wanted to set up a program fo the illegal aliens.

I think the show is framing it that Lana is essentially still good, but perhaps fooling herself about how much of other's she deems threats, for the greater good. Not to get too political here, but that is not an unusual decision to make, think of how people react to the whole terrorism and thus terrorists and potential ones. Not the forum to really go into it, but suffice it to say, that isn't not just a decision so-called "EV.IL" people make. (Though let me be clear here, not one I personally have made or ever made or would ever make)

So the show is keeping parts of Lana good, other parts grey or with ideas that she thinks she's doing good. So I'd say she's kinda Chaotic Good (yes, a D&D reference ) at this point.

But isn't that an implied threat? Subtle to be sure, but certainly implied. Implying to Lana that if she left, who knows what will be unleashed. Its a very manipulative thing to say, IMO (he used to use the same manipulation on Clark). Putting that sort of thing on Lana makes her actions (if she should leave) seem responsible for his actions. If Lex can't control his dark impulses on his own, then he's really a sick puppy, and not really a fit companion for any woman.
      IMO
      I didn't see it as a personal threat, no. That he would harm her? No, be ruthless in trying to get her back if she left and try and kill Clark if he was the reason Lana left? Hell yes. But I expect she knew that before then.

And Lex has been trying to fight his dark impulses on his own, but it's easier for him with people around him who reminded him of what is good or make fighting for good worth it. Like I saw his struggling to genuinely do the first 3 seasons of the show and even since, though with less and less frequency to it's almost non-existence now, to really try and do the right thing. But Lex was raised by Lionel, so he doesn't automatically KNOW the right thing, or at least he's been taught over and over not to do it. I think it's easier for him, understandably so, to have someone around who does have a functioning moral compass because the one his father instilled within him, is petty messed up. Nuture is how most monsters are made, not nature.

But even with Lana's more uh shall we say flexible, morals lately, she still has good impulses, certainly better than Lex's and he sees her as good and that she is his last chance at not completely slipping over. Which of course whether he has already gone over or not, is debatable and immaterial to the point that Lex sees that Lana could potentially save him though it could definitely be argued that it's already too late.

Oh and I don't think it's pathetic to look outside for help for morality. People do that all the time. Though yes, people should still internalize that morality and that's not something that Lex was either able or willing to ultimately do. That is why he becomes/is the villain.
      Last edited by JonStewart4President; 02-05-2007, 12:01 PM.

Comment

I think Lana is riding the fence somewhat. She has good intentions until it deviates from what she wants. She has seen Lex be manipulative and followed that path on many occassions. She is learning his bad behaviors even though her desire is to do good.

Regardless of Lana's views, Lex meant that he could cause harm, that aiming a gun on Clark was the least of it. Even if she doesn't fear for herself right now, she fears for Clark.

Comment

I think Lex was specifically threatening Lana and Clark. Lex has already turned into Clark's mortal enemy. Lana leaving him would definitely add Lana's name to the blacklist. AND it would remove any kid gloves he's wearing right now to present to her a benign image. I think he was threatening to fully let loose the inner devil that even Lana has recognized in the past.

Comment

Yes it was a threat. I think with her admission that she still loves Clark - he is kinda worried in case she goes off with him - so he just let her know that he would do whatever if she decided on that path.

Comment

Originally posted by All about Clark
              Regardless of Lana's views, Lex meant that he could cause harm, that aiming a gun on Clark was the least of it. Even if she doesn't fear for herself right now, she fears for Clark.
              I think that if that was a threat to Lana, it was one where he would hurt her by doing something to Clark. I think Lex will hurt her mentally. I don't think he would kill her since she will probably not try to kill him like Desiree or Helen did and give him motive to. But then again, Lex could be so far gone by now that it may not matter if she tries to kill him or not.

Comment

Originally posted by LoisL
                I think Lex was specifically threatening Lana and Clark. Lex has already turned into Clark's mortal enemy. Lana leaving him would definitely add Lana's name to the blacklist. AND it would remove any kid gloves he's wearing right now to present to her a benign image. I think he was threatening to fully let loose the inner devil that even Lana has recognized in the past.
                I agree, any civility that Lex is displaying now is because of Lana. If she chooses to leave him he'll fully release his inner badass. Of course, just because she chooses to leave him doesn't mean he'll let her be successful in that attempt.

On a side note, LoisL, that line you have "the legendary love begins" instantly brought my mind to Sandlot Gang: "heroes are remembered, but legends never die".

Comment

It's a threat allright! If I were her I would rethink the whole marriage thing, namely whom exacly is she marrying!

Comment

I didn't get threat to Lana but I got that ominous feeling like if he ever lost Lana that would be the straw that broke the camel's back. It would be the thing that would complete his transformation to the "dark side".

Comment

LOL you WATCH LIFETIME???? LOL
                      Anyway I think she HAS lost the baby (STATIC)and maybe shes just keeping it secret, because she';s stuck with Lex. Not only that theres a chance its CLARKS baby. He did NAIL her and maybe it takes longer for alien sperm to fertilize an EGG.

HMMMM EGGGS.

I must say though, I liked Lana better when she was possessed by an evil witch with bad dialog. Ahhhhh Season 4.............<shiver>
                      Last edited by Tacosupes; 02-08-2007, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryptonian-Ronin
                        He'll go after Shelby, that Rat Bastard !!

Is there no end to that man's evil !?!?!?!?

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎