Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, seriously, why *was* Martha at the engagement dinner?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they reached their Nell continuity quota for this month and decided to leave that out.

Comment

Pre season five Martha was close with Lana and was a bit of a mother figure so it makes sense Lana would invite her..... especially since AUNT NELL wasn't able to make an appearance. Martha even looks over at Lana during the dinner and gives her that "proud and happy momma" look. Plus, just because Martha was invited doesn't mean she HAD to come. The invite alone is just a way for Lana to show how much she value's Martha.

Chloe and Lana ARE close friends and that's why Chloe got to be the freaking maid of honor afterall. Chloe even once said that Lana was her sister, so there you go. That's why she's invited.

LOIS was invited not Oliver. Lana see's Lois as a freind and Lois thinks the same of her. Lois even flat said Lana was her freind in "Hypnotic" while telling Chloe about Clarkie's run in with HypnoHo. Lois has also been an ear for Lana to talk to about her relationships both in Reckoning (even though that was BEFORE the time warp) and again in Oracle. Lois invited RSVP'ed Oliver as her Plus One. We know that wasn't wise but it's not like anyone ever told her Oliver and Lex were enemies either.

Comment

in the director's cut didn't martha say she RSVPd for 2??

Comment

Originally posted by dru-zod2501
          in the director's cut didn't martha say she RSVPd for 2??
          Doesn't the directors cut start with Martha answering the door to a lovesick Lois?

Comment

she went because lana invited her.

Comment

GA's invitation surprised me more than Martha being there. I thought Lex hated Ollie so why would he invited him?

Martha has known Lana for almost all of her life. They are pretty close so it doesnt surprise me much she was there.

Comment

Chloe and Martha, no matter the situation, care about Lana. As a matter of fact, I'd go as far as to say they love her. Why did Chloe and Martha attend the engagement party/dinner? Simple: support.

Comment

I see no problem what so ever with Martha being at the engagement party. Martha is certainly no friend of Lex, but obviously was invited by Lana. Even though she probably knows that Lex is up to no good, she still respects and likes Lana. This is a big occasion in this young woman's life and like a mature adult woman Martha graciousy shows up to help her celebrate. There is nothing wrong with this at all. Part of growing up is acknowledging that other people (even those who you care for a great deal) can and will make decisions that you don't agree with. I'm sure she would never endorse or praise Lana's selection of Lex as a husband, but that is not the issue. I'd be surprised if Martha didn't hope and believe that even as bad as Lex has become, he still loves and would never harm Lana.

Lana has been repeatedly warned by Chloe (and others) about the danger of being with Lex. Chloe even offered documentation to prove her point, but Lana refused to look at it. Lana is an adult young woman who can make her own bad decisions about who to marry. I feel no sympathy for her situation because she is the one who chose to shack up with Lex and get it on with him.

Martha (and Chloe) have taken the high road in this affair, unlike dumbass, drugged up Clark who continually maintains that he will stop the marriage of Lex and Lana. Martha, give your overgrown baby of a son a paddling with a kryptonite switch. He clearly has not outgrown the self-centered nature of an only child.

Comment

Three things surprised me about the Party.
                    1. Where was Lionel?
                    2. Without Lionel, why the hell was Martha there?
                    3. I'm assuming the "old folks" attending were Luthorcorp employees. I have been wondering if the engagement party was going to be the same 2 people blast as Lex's after election "party" last season and the huge group at the mansion for Thanksgiving. If Lex is going to be using paid friends to attend his engagement party will he have to do the same for a wedding?

I think he should buy some younger friends. At least when Clark was tossing him around he could have had SOME backup.

Comment

Pre season five Martha was close with Lana and was a bit of a mother figure so it makes sense Lana would invite her..... especially since AUNT NELL wasn't able to make an appearance. Martha even looks over at Lana during the dinner and gives her that "proud and happy momma" look. Plus, just because Martha was invited doesn't mean she HAD to come. The invite alone is just a way for Lana to show how much she value's Martha.

i think she was there simply because it was the right thing to do. she knows the pain clark has caused lana by keeping his identity a secret and in an indirect way is probaly relieved lana may have alledgedly found happiness.

Comment

Originally posted by cygnusx1

i think she was there simply because it was the right thing to do. she knows the pain clark has caused lana by keeping his identity a secret and in an indirect way is probaly relieved lana may have alledgedly found happiness.
                        True that.

Especially that first paragraph, hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by a silent liaison
                          Chloe and Martha, no matter the situation, care about Lana. As a matter of fact, I'd go as far as to say they love her. Why did Chloe and Martha attend the engagement party/dinner? Simple: support.

Exactly. If you truly care about one of your friends and you know that you can't change their mind about marriage, in Lana's case, you should at least let them know that you're there for them. Martha and Chloe are doing just this.

Comment

You know what, redK or no redK, Clark should actually be mad at Martha. She's knows he was not invited. And she sits down eating dinner happily with the man who wants to kill her adopted son.

Sad. Johnathan Kent must've been rolling over in his grave.

Comment

Lionel doesn't want to kill Clark anymore. He respects Clark now.

Comment

Originally posted by BadToad
                                That was truly bizarre, and the worst aspect of the episode. There is no reason at all for Martha to be there, and its downright inappropriate. And its also directly hurtful to Clark, and I just can't imagine a Martha that would ever do that. Even if she thinks its best for Clark to move on from Lana, and even if she wishes Lana the best, her first consideration and loyalty should really be to her son.

I don't even recognize this woman anymore, and its so depressing. Last season, I LOVED the Martha/Clark stuff. This season, I think she really sucks. And I wish they hadn't blown it off in that last loft scene. Martha and Clark should've confronted that situation when he was back to his normal self. I can only hope it will come back to the forefront in an upcoming episode.
                                Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎