Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, seriously, why *was* Martha at the engagement dinner?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, seriously, why *was* Martha at the engagement dinner?

So, I get that the writers wanted this big scene in which Red K-influenced Clark goes after Martha, Chloe, Lana, and Lex. However, it just made no sense for anyone other than Lana and Lex to even be at that dinner.

Lex didn't even invite his own father (I'm not sure if we are supposed to interpret that as an obvious slight or just ignore it because John Glover wasn't in this episode anyway), so it's clear that Martha isn't there as Lionel's "plus one." Martha and Lex aren't friends, and even though, Martha has always been fond of Lana, she's still his son's ex-girlfriend. Would your mother really go to the engagement dinner of your ex? The ex who is marrying someone she knows you despise? Surely Martha knew that Lex and Lana deliberately did not invite her own son. Tacky.

Chloe's presence was shoehorned in with Lana's clumsy invitation for her to be the maid of honor. Lana and Chloe are friends... sort of (if you examine the situation, they really aren't that close). Chloe hates Lex and knows that he's up to no good. Considering that she's an active part in Clark's efforts to foil most of Lex's schemes, I would think she would make it clear to Lana that she can't support the union. Once Lana and Lex are married, then whatever Clark and Chloe do to Lex (you know, like expose the fact that he's kidnapping and torturing innocent people, which would land him in prison) is essentially an attack on Lana or at least Lana's "family." Weird.

Of course, the former two could almost be explained away. No twisting of your brain can justify why Lois received an invitation. She and Lex have never exchanged a civil word. She and Lana hardly know each other. Sure, she's Chloe cousin but c'mon, Lex can barely stand Chloe. And Lois was going to bring Oliver to the dinner? The guy who hates Lex and got into a fist fight with him? C'mon.

SER

because she is a senator.

Comment

OMG yes exactly! Martha had NO reason to be at that dinner!

She in no way supports Lex and has more than likely been told by Clark all the bad things he's done with 33.1 and his obsession with being happy like the Kents.

Comment

Originally posted by boywithbluehanger

She in no way supports Lex and has more than likely been told by Clark all the bad things he's done with 33.1 and his obsession with being happy like the Kents.
        lex supports her. she is a senator.

Comment

She's only senator because her husband defeated Lex in the senate race. They never delved into which political party Lex and Jonathan were in but I don't see political enemies socializing like this.

And even if Lex supported her politically (huge leap), you'd think Martha would value her son more.

Comment

That was truly bizarre, and the worst aspect of the episode. There is no reason at all for Martha to be there, and its downright inappropriate. And its also directly hurtful to Clark, and I just can't imagine a Martha that would ever do that. Even if she thinks its best for Clark to move on from Lana, and even if she wishes Lana the best, her first consideration and loyalty should really be to her son.

I don't even recognize this woman anymore, and its so depressing. Last season, I LOVED the Martha/Clark stuff. This season, I think she really sucks. And I wish they hadn't blown it off in that last loft scene. Martha and Clark should've confronted that situation when he was back to his normal self. I can only hope it will come back to the forefront in an upcoming episode.

Comment

as for lois, i think he might have actually invited ollie. they do know each other, and remember this was before all the 33.1 stuff that the invites went out if it was before lollie ended, and lex is a megalomaniac, businessman, and politician all rolled into one, maybe he saw some advantage to having ollie there.

Comment

Lois didn't recieve the invite...it was Oliver's invite. She was going to go with him as his date.

Chloe went because of Lana. Even tho they had their differences they're still friends and really...have you ever seen Lana be friends with ANYONE else? Of course she would ask Chloe to be her maid of honor.

Martha shouldn't have gone to the party. That I totally agree with.
                But she probably went thinking Lionel would be at his own son's engagement party despite their relatiohship. To her Lionel is a good man and would automatically believe he would be there. Maybe after seeing he wasn't there she decided to just stay anyway. As senator, she probably knew most of those people there and decided to stay anyway.

But yeah, she shouldn't have gone cause of Clark. That was tacky.

Comment

I thought it was puzzling also and not sure if it was appropriate. But wouldn't be surprised if she was like a mother substitute for Lana and was there to support her or if she even made an appearance at the wedding.

Not sure but was there a look between Martha and Lex? Almost a smile. Again not sure.

Comment

Lois didn't recieve the invite...it was Oliver's invite. She was going to go with him as his date.

As I said, it would make more sense if Lex had invited Lois. Although they haven't exchanged any civil words, at least Lex hasn't had a full-blown fist-fight with her. Remember "Reunion"? Lex and Oliver hate each other.

Comment

About Chloe and Lana: I believe that they are really close friends (or, at least, they were) - Lana, as Chloe said once, was more than a guest when she was living at the Sullivan's house and they even had a school project (a genealogy tree) that one of them wrote that the other was her sister. They may have their differences now, but they were pretty close friends.

Originally posted by Stephen Robinson

As I said, it would make more sense if Lex had invited Lois. Although they haven't exchanged any civil words, at least Lex hasn't had a full-blown fist-fight with her. Remember "Reunion"? Lex and Oliver hate each other.
                      I guess that Lana was the one that invited Lois - ok, they aren't close friends, but sometimes they share some enlighting conversations (like Martha and Lana - I believe that we can say that they are friends).
                      Last edited by ClowRegulus; 02-02-2007, 09:14 AM.

Comment

There really is no logical explaination to Martha's being there. Perhaps Lex did invite her (going back to the whole wanting everything Clark has) and maybe Clark HAS NOT told her about Lex's doings. I find that hard to believe, but we haven't exactly seen Clark talking to her that much. Heck she's barely around. I'm amazed, the farm is still a farm. She seems way too busy with the political side of things.

Comment

I'm amazed, the farm is still a farm.
                          SER: I suppose that's another plot hole. When Jonathan died, Clark dropped out of college in order to devote all his time to running the farm. However, they really might as well sell the farm -- Martha is a senator now and apparently has designs for the U.S. Senate (the reference in "Arrow"). It's not like she needs the movie. Even the civil servant salary of state senator was probably more than the Kents made from the farm.

Comment

She is friends with Lana and Lex.

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Robinson

Why would it make more sense? Lex doesn't even know Lois. And it makes perfect sense for Lex to invite Oliver to rub in his face how perfect his life is now that he's getting married. One-up-manship over Oliver...that's reason enough to invite him.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎