• Show
Clear All

• A Drink Between Friends

A Drink Between Friends
    By: Firebunny
    Paring: Chlana Friendship
    Rating: PG
    Acknowledgements: These aren’t my characters. Smallville is owned by the CW

This scene takes place a couple days after the events of Hydro.

“Lana! You haven’t touched your drink,” Chloe said rather loudly.

Lana repressed a smile. If Chloe was going to make it as an investigative reporter she would have to work on her observational skills. In the past two hours Chloe had polished off three margaritas, while Lana hadn’t so much as taken a sip from her glass.

“I can’t,” Lana said. “It’s not good for the baby.”

“The baby,” Chloe said dreamily and she slumped back on the leather sofa. “You’re going to be a mommy. That’s so great. My mommy’s insane.” She sat forward again. “Can’t let this drink go to waste.” She grabbed the margarita from Lana’s hands and took a gulp.

When Chloe had shown up at the mansion that evening she had been nervous and suspicious. It was obvious she was having doubts about accepting Lana’s invitation to keep her company while Lex was out of town.

But Lana had smoothed things over quickly.

“I’m so sorry about how I acted at the Daily Planet the other day,” she had said in a sincere voice. “I realize now how unreasonable I was being. You would never tell my secrets just like you would never tell Clark’s secrets. You’re a great friend and I hope I haven’t done anything to push you away.”

Chloe’s eyes had grown wide and she grabbed Lana’s hand.

“Oh, Lana, I would never give up on our friendship.”

Chloe was such a sucker.

And right now she was a drunk sucker. This was the opportunity Lana needed to get the information she wanted. She just had to steer the conversation in the right direction.

“We all seem to have lost our mothers,” she said carefully, “you, me, Lex, Lois. My goodness, out of our whole circle, the only person who still has a mother around is Clark.”

“Martha Kent is the best mother ever,” Chloe said as she leaned forward to put the half empty glass on the edge of the coffee table. She only missed by an inch or two.

Lana lunged for the glass and caught it right before it fell to the floor.

“Martha Kent’s great,” she agreed, “but Clark still has a lot of issues.”

“Don’t talk to me about Clark Kent’s issues.”

Lana laughed like she didn’t have a care in the world. “What exactly is his problem?”

Chloe ran her fingers through her hair. “You do not want to know.”

But Lana did want to know.

Ever since that day, almost a year ago, when Clark had dumped her, she had wanted to know. He had looked her in the eyes and told her he didn’t love her. How was that possible? Was there something wrong with her? Did anyone love her? Did Lex love her? Could her baby love her? Was she going to be miserable and alone for the rest of her life?

Lana knew in her gut that if she learned Clark’s secret she would find the answer to all her questions. Chloe knew that secret and, with a little prodding, Chloe would spill that secret.

“He acts so weird all the time,” Lana said casually. “Why does he do that?”

Chloe leaned back on the couch and put her feet on the coffee table. She tried to look at Lana, but she was having trouble focusing her eyes.

“What you have to remember about Clark,” she said, “is that he’s… he’s… what’s the word I’m thinking of?”

“I don’t know. What are you trying to say?”

“Clark’s not like you or me.”

Maybe Lana had gotten Chloe too drunk. She certainly wasn’t making any sense.

“You’re telling me, Clark’s not a woman?” Lana asked.

“No, that’s not it,” Chloe said as she rolled her eyes. “I mean, he’s not a woman but he’s not a man either. I mean, anatomically he’s a man, but he’s not a real man, if you know what I mean.”

Lana stared at Chloe for a moment. “Are you saying, Clark’s gay?”

“Wouldn’t that explain a lot,” Chloe said.

“Like why he broke up with me.” Lana felt an ember of hope stir in her chest. If Clark was gay than that meant there was nothing wrong with her.

“Or why the world has to be ending before he’ll stick his tongue in my mouth,” Chloe said.

“You let Clark stick his tongue in your mouth?”

“The world was ending. Don’t judge me.”

“I don’t understand,” Lana said, “is Clark gay or not?”

“Nah, he’s straight,” Chloe said and then hiccupped several times.

Lana’s heart sank. There was something wrong with her and that’s why Clark couldn’t love her. Lex would discover it soon and he’d leave her too. Everyone always abandoned her.

With her hiccups under control Chloe continued, “Or he’s as straight as someone in his condition can be.”

“What exactly is his condition?”

Chloe beckoned for Lana to lean in close. Lana complied.

“Clark is from another planet,” Chloe whispered, “a planet made of ice. That’s why his heart is made of ice. You and I, we come from a planet made of dirt. That’s why our hearts are dirty.” Chloe stopped and pursed her lips. “That’s not right. I don’t mean bad dirt. I mean…” She took a couple deep breaths and then continued. “I’m not sure I get your point.”

“That’s okay.” Lana smiled. “I get it. You told me everything I needed to know.”

“I’m glad.” Chloe smiled back at her. “I love you, Lana.”

“Good.”

A wicked little grin spread across Chloe’s face. “I have an idea. Let’s call Clark.”

“You want to call him right now?”

“Yeah. We can say, ‘Eat meteor rocks and die!’” Chloe chuckled for a moment, then her hand flew to her mouth and she swallowed several times. “But first I have to use your bathroom.”

Lana sat back and watched as Chloe climbed up from the sofa and staggered towards the door.

Chloe’s right, she thought. It’s not me. It’s Clark. He has a heart of ice. He’s incapable of loving another human being. I’m fine. I’m perfect. There’s no earthly reason why Lex and I can’t be happy together.

She put her hand on her belly and sighed.

She was going to live a very happy life.

The End

That was fun. I wish you'd included the prank call to Clark.

Comment

This is actually a pretty good short story here. The relationship between Lana and Chloe is more platonic than it is romantic; that's a nice touch.

Great work

Comment

A few days after Hydro? Hmm!! You know, I've never understood Chloe and Lana's friendship. When I read ppl gushing about Chlana, I dont get it. Maybe I'm missing something, but they are not really girlfriends, are they? They are like Clark and Lex. There's always the underlying current of trust or lack of it between them. I thought "A Drink Between Friends" painted this perfectly. And, the line "Chloe was such a sucker", actually is damn accurate. Despite her spunk, Chloe in SV seems insecure when it comes to Lana. It's like she wants so desperately to be her friend despite what Lana has done to her.

Comment

That was good

Comment

loved that! it really shows the relationship between them. chloe actually cares about lana, but lana's only using her to get to clark. i also like how you made it a friendship instead of a romance.

Comment

Great story.

Comment

Ha! That was a hilarious one-shot. I'm quoting my favorite parts:

“What you have to remember about Clark,” she said, “is that he’s… he’s… what’s the word I’m thinking of?”

“I don’t know. What are you trying to say?”

“Clark’s not like you or me.”

“You’re telling me, Clark’s not a woman?” Lana asked.
                I love that they're trying to figure Clark out. He is indeed, a conundrum unto himself.
                “Are you saying, Clark’s gay?”

“Wouldn’t that explain a lot,” Chloe said.

“Like why he broke up with me.” Lana felt an ember of hope stir in her chest. If Clark was gay than that meant there was nothing wrong with her.

“Or why the world has to be ending before he’ll stick his tongue in my mouth,” Chloe said.

“You let Clark stick his tongue in your mouth?”

“The world was ending. Don’t judge me.”

I literally burst out laughing at this. I can somehow totally picture Chloe saying this, just maybe not to Lana...
                “Clark is from another planet,” Chloe whispered, “a planet made of ice. That’s why his heart is made of ice. You and I, we come from a planet made of dirt. That’s why our hearts are dirty.” Chloe stopped and pursed her lips. “That’s not right. I don’t mean bad dirt. I mean…” She took a couple deep breaths and then continued. “I’m not sure I get your point.”
                Dirty Hearts would be a good name for a rock band!
                Thanks for sharing the one-shot with us, 'tis awesome!

Comment

I love how Chloe isn't lying at all (as far as she knows), yet she's saying it in a way that Lana doesn't realize that "not from this planet" is literal.

Comment

I gotta say I love this. Short sweet and impacted

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎