"Smallville" mental hospitals vs. real mental hospitals

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shirkie
    "24% of psychiatrists admit to eating their patients"
    Whoever says that is an idiot, trust me guys...

Comment

Re: Re: the real mental health

Originally posted by RedPhoenix23
      Why do I get the feeling that the creators of that site are
      sceintologists?
      I know for a fact that it IS a Scientology front group. "Human rights." Pfffffff. Yeah, right.

A "religion" created by a second rate science fiction writer who died paranoid and insane? Uh huh. Even a cursory look into Scientology is a trip into the weird. It is beyond ironic that a man that eschewed psycho-active drugs would almost certainly have benefited from them.

Comment

I agree. But let's be careful, I can hear the mods approaching already...

Comment

wow thanks for sharing Nospam

Originally posted by Nospam
          but I can't imagine why they would put sad people into an even sadder environment. It was the worst place for a depressed teenager.
          [...]
          I think the place would have made me crazy rather than help me.[...]
          Needless to say, I got better in spite of the place.

[...]And there were a lot of sad, lonely people that could have benefited from love, companionship and understanding more than doctors, nurses and counseling sessions.
          I have a family member who's been in and out of several different ones and sorry to say it's sad but true; When it comes to helping people with mental health problems they are seriously lacking... They're not allowed to medicate against the person's will unless the person is a danger, and they basically don't have a clue how to help other than by trial and error of a cocktail of various drugs, and as you said, completely useless "support" groups/ and counseling sessions, while family members bear the burden and watch helplessly at the loss of job, home, possessions, and relationships

I think the facility where Clark was looked more like a combination "Crisis Intake Center" and Locked-down section of a Psych. Ward.

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
          the set was pretty much a copy of the one from the 1975 movie

'One flew over the cuckoo's nest'

It's a movie by the great director Milos Forman, starring Jack Nicholson.

It's after a novel by Ken Kesey (which I can recommend).
          i loved that movie... and the book.

And now for a twilight zone moment:

when I went to visit the last time this person was hospitalized, the lock-down ward had a total of 3 rooms and a lounge. The orderly's name was Clark, the nurse's name was Lois, and a patient was telling us about her grandaughter, Chloe. I started thinking maybe I belonged in there

Comment

do the workers in the real mental hospitals wear bow ties just like smallville's.....or not? i thought it was a nice touch, it reminded me of ice cream and made me hungry

Comment

Originally posted by Khyla
              And now for a twilight zone moment:

when I went to visit the last time this person was hospitalized, the lock-down ward had a total of 3 rooms and a lounge. The orderly's name was Clark, the nurse's name was Lois, and a patient was telling us about her grandaughter, Chloe. I started thinking maybe I belonged in there
              Wow, Khyla.
              And your real name is...Lana?

Sorry, just kidding...
              That's scary indeed...

Comment

I also think it's sad but true that our country's mental health system is lacking. And unfortunately it has almost everything to do with economical and social class. Just the vast differences alone between the types of facilities in which my cousin and my sister's boyfriend were placed was enough to confirm for me the biased that is given the wealthy, upper-middle class, insured and those considered more "productive" or worthwhile members of society.

Sadly, one is a lot less valued in our country and far more likely to become lost in the shuffle if they have a mental problem and do not have the financial means to seek care from a private mental health practice or facility. A lot of these people wind up homeless and the ones who are eventually placed in a state-funded facility because they become a public nusance or a menace or danger to society are pretty much locked away and forgotten about.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedDemon77
                  I also think it's sad but true that our country's mental health system is lacking. And unfortunately it has almost everything to do with economical and social class. Just the vast differences alone between the types of facilities in which my cousin and my sister's boyfriend were placed was enough to confirm for me the biased that is given the wealthy, upper-middle class, insured and those considered more "productive" or worthwhile members of society.

Sadly, one is a lot less valued in our country and far more likely to become lost in the shuffle if they have a mental problem and do not have the financial means to seek care from a private mental health practice or facility. A lot of these people wind up homeless and the ones who are eventually placed in a state-funded facility because they become a public nusance or a menace or danger to society are pretty much locked away and forgotten about.
                  While that seems to be true in the U.S., Canada is nothing like that. Everyone receives the same care. That's the law. At least, that is the situation in the care facilities. Mental health services are covered by the various provincial health plans, so access to a psychiatrist is covered, but if you want to see a counselor typically that will depend on whether it is medically necessary or covered by third party extended benefits.

It seems that few provinces maintain full sized mental health facilities anymore. Instead, almost all provinces have moved to a community care model where those that are not a danger to themselves or others yet incapable of caring for themselves are placed in group homes. It's cheaper, better for the patients and the community in that the patients act as members of the community and interact with others, supervised of course. Unfortunately, this treatment model often means that a lot of the mentally ill fall through the cracks, since those that are judged technically capable of helping themselves often cannot and end up on the streets relying on meager disability benefits. Still, it's better than just shoving them in sanitariums like we did 50 years ago.

I know in my home province of BC, the only sizable mental health facility is the Forensic Psychiatric Institute, a rather vague sounding name for what is essentially a prison for the criminally insane. It used to be called Colony Farm, Riverside Unit because back in the early part of the 20th century the inmates had to work the area like a real farm to keep them out of trouble. No longer a working farm, the facility now looks and acts like a real prison with barred windows, razor wire, etc. If you were going to see padded cells, restraints and forced medication, this would be the place. While the farm work disappeared long ago, patients now are required to make those annoying fuzzy dog tissue box covers you see on top of your grandma's toilet tank.

So it goes.
                  Last edited by Nospam; 01-28-2007, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nospam
                    While that seems to be true in the U.S., Canada is nothing like that. Everyone receives the same care. That's the law. At least, that is the situation in the care facilities. Mental health services are covered by the various provincial health plans, so access to a psychiatrist is covered, but if you want to see a counselor typically that will depend on whether it is medically necessary or covered by third party extended benefits.

It seems that few provinces maintain full sized mental health facilities anymore. Instead, almost all provinces have moved to a community care model where those that are not a danger to themselves or others yet incapable of caring for themselves are placed in group homes. It's cheaper, better for the patients and the community in that the patients act as members of the community and interact with others, supervised of course. Unfortunately, this treatment model often means that a lot of the mentally ill fall through the cracks, since those that are judged technically capable of helping themselves often cannot and end up on the streets relying on meager disability benefits. Still, it's better than just shoving them in sanitariums like we did 50 years ago.

I know in my home province of BC, the only sizable mental health facility is the Forensic Psychiatric Institute, a rather vague sounding name for what is essentially a prison for the criminally insane. It used to be called Colony Farm, Riverside Unit because back in the early part of the 20th century the inmates had to work the area like a real farm to keep them out of trouble. No longer a working farm, the facility now looks and acts like a real prison with barred windows, razor wire, etc. If you were going to see padded cells, restraints and forced medication, this would be the place. While the farm work disappeared long ago, patients now are required to make those annoying fuzzy dog tissue box covers you see on top of your grandma's toilet tank.

So it goes.
                    Right. There's no comparison between the US and Canada in respect to mental and physical health care for their respective citizens. The US aka self-proclaimed "greatest and wealthiest nation on Earth" has allowed so many situations to get out of control on so many levels it's ridiculous. And none of this is to say that I'm not proud of the country where I was born, because there's a lot of good that's been done, too. But IMO it seriously lacks when it comes to taking care of many of its citizens and I just can't find a way to justify that at all.

Now I have to leap off the political path here before the mods come hunt me down with a ball bat and get back to "Labyrinth". Still totally agree with the assessment of the facility portrayed in that ep as having been done so for a surreal "nightmare-ish" quality rather than accurately portraying the institutions that many here have been witness to. But then you have to consider that Clark Kent is a Kansas farmboy who hasn't really experienced mental institutions on any level other than the occasional visit to Belle Reve and probably the ones he's seen in movies such as "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", so the Zoner was simply using whatever thoughts they had access to through Clark's own memories and in his mind.

Comment

For those who were in real mental hospitols on this site.

You can't really compare you experiences to Clarks.

Remember that you guys were in there for depression. Clark was in there for severe dillusions, paranoia, and agression. Id imagine that they would put him in a much more secure place than you guys.

Comment

have some sensitivity

Comment

Im sorry, was I not doing so?

I was just telling the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by KryptonX81
                            Im sorry, was I not doing so?

I was just telling the truth.
                            I took no offense. You are correct in pointing out that the facility Clark was in was in all likelihood a manifestation of Clark's fears and really nothing like a real mental health facility.

The hospital I was in contained a variety of patients suffering from all manner of mental disorders, from insanity and paranoia to depression and mood disorders. That hospital and others like it are now closed because BC, like many other jurisdictions, moved to a community care model. Someone like Chloe's mom would not be in a hospital anymore, but housed in a group home with similarly afflicted patients. Clark would likewise not be in a hospital unless he was a danger to himself or others.

The bottom line is that the alternate reality in Labyrinth was a manifestation of Clark's thoughts, feelings and fears.

Comment

Thanks for sharing guys. Those are really eye-opening. I myself have never been to a mental hospital in my whole life. How about the representation of that place where Chloe's mother is? Is that anything like a real-life mental hospital? How about Belle Reeve? I mean are there different types of mental hospital for different degrees of insanity/danger levels posed by the patients?

Comment

I think that tptb should do another story about Chloe's mom, and visiting. as I recall, she visited once and that was it...

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎