No announcement yet.

Chapter Three - One Giant Leap

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapter Three - One Giant Leap

As the “Heroes” continue to test their newfound extraordinary abilities, Claire (Hayden Panettiere) tries to maintain a normal social life when a romance with the football quarterback takes a tragic turn. While Hiro (Masi Oka) convinces his friend that they are destined to travel to America to save the world, a frightened Niki (Ali Larter) follows instructions from a mysterious, unknown source that directs her to the middle of the desert. Meanwhile, Nathan (Adrian Pasdar) uses Peter’s (Milo Ventimiglia) accident to propel his political campaign. The elusive Sylar is being hunted by both Matt (Greg Grunberg) and the FBI, as well as Suresh (Sendhil Ramamurthy), whose father’s journal leads to potential clues. (Clea Duvall and Nora Zehetner guest star.)

I was thinkin'....... If you drive into the desert with 2 corpses in your trunk......you wanna attract as little attention as possible, right? So why in god's name did she drive a huge, red convertible? Was it a Cadillac? I know nothing about cars, but she sure didn't worry about attracting anyone's attention.....

Comment

Because huge red convertibles look better on a TV screen then beat up old rust buckets.

Comment

Originally posted by MidgardDragon
        Because huge red convertibles look better on a TV screen then beat up old rust buckets.

That's what I was thinkin'......
        "What a pretty car.......uh, wait."

Comment

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
          I was thinkin'....... If you drive into the desert with 2 corpses in your trunk......you wanna attract as little attention as possible, right? So why in god's name did she drive a huge, red convertible? Was it a Cadillac? I know nothing about cars, but she sure didn't worry about attracting anyone's attention.....
          Maybe it was the onlyu car she could afford?

I'm thinking it was Jessica who bought the car. It's more her flashy style. Niki would bought a utilitarian sort of vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by ShelbyKent
            Maybe it was the onlyu car she could afford?

I'm thinking it was Jessica who bought the car. It's more her flashy style. Niki would bought a utilitarian sort of vehicle
            True. Yet Nikki also used it, that's what was confusing me..... Oh, well.

Comment

Originally posted by InLove_with_Chloe
              True. Yet Nikki also used it, that's what was confusing me..... Oh, well.
              It's gonna get more confusing later with Jessica and Niki...........

Comment

One Giant Leap Episode Review

Most of what I have to say about this episode comes in one-line comments. I think the Bits and Pieces section is going to be as long as the first part this time, which isn’t going to be too long itself.

More paintings! I’m not sure which comes first, the paintings or shooting the episode, but they’re great! And half of them are just placed nonchalantly in the background of a shot and never referred to. I appreciate the subtly.

Major misstep: Sylar’s apartment houses a big Wall O’ Mutants ‘N’ String, just like Chandra Suresh’s. He’s even got Nathan on there. If he has this master map (which I will assume he stole/copied from Chandra's wall), why is he so desperate later to get his hands on Mohinder’s list? Just because it's more complete than his? Or did he really not have a copy of this original that gets swiped by Eden's cleaning crew? Getting further into un-Sylar-like territory, the “I Have Sinned” mural just seems wrong to me, too. I realize he came from a religious family, but when we finally see how he began killing people, he doesn’t seem all that broken up about it. His killings seem to him like natural progression, like evolution, like something very impersonal that he gets to do because he can. The "evolutionary imperative" as they call it in 1x10 Six Months Ago. A lion never scribbles “Father forgive me” after it kills something—there’s no guilt or regret there. Sylar’s apartment in this episode makes him look a totally different kind of psycho than he ends up being. Sylar’s smooth and efficient, and this character seems frantic and sloppy. And last but not least, he exhibits a bunch of random, vague powers when Audrey and Matt chase him in the basement. Don’t start something you don’t plan on finishing or explaining, guys, you’d been so good up until this point!

The attempted rape and subsequent “death” of Claire was well done. Scenes like this are tough to do, both for the actors and the writers. They walk a fine line between realistic and something that just can’t be shown on TV, and this was well played. I think my favorite moment of the episode is when she wakes up on the coroner’s table. “Holy sh…!” The cut away from a swear word is always funny. :-)

Why did Matt drop in the bar after seeing The Haitian? Did someone put something in his drink? Because The Haitian doesn’t have the power to make someone pass out, right? And speaking of The Haitian, I like our introduction to him, just a taste, and we’ll be back to him later. At the time, the slow progression of the first couple episodes of the series made me crazy, but now I’m pleased that they went this way—a couple hints for each character and the tease of what’s to come is a very effective way of getting your viewer to tune in next week. And it makes the revelations all the better when they end up happening!

Bits and Pieces:

* Nice line: “If you really wanted to make me happy you’d only date nerds. ” Hear hear!
                * The writers did a great job of keeping me guessing on the subject of HRG’s loyalty. Good? Bad? The Ugly?
                * Love Peter’s attempts at flight off the playground structures. Very cute, and made ultimately perfect by the kid in the cape watching him.
                * Blocking misstep: when Mohinder randomly wanders away to lean forlornly against the door jam for no good reason. Cliché!
                * Audrey works for me in this episode. Her queries about what Matt’s ‘voices’ tell him to do is pretty cute.
                * We meet Matt’s wife! For anyone who has seen the unaired pilot, I’m so glad they recast, because this pairing works much better.
                * Nathan, you jackass. Not cool, man, he’s your brother!
                * Did Eden send a clean-up crew from The Company to sanitize Sylar’s apartment? That’s the only thing that seems logical now—Sylar couldn’t have done it himself. Can you imagine coming home from a grueling couple days of slaughtering people for their abilities and walking into a completely empty apartment? Excuse me?? Where’s my stuff? Is this why Sylar wanted Mohinder’s list so badly later? Because his working model was vacuumed up by The Company?
                * Adair, again, you rock. Way to steal a scene in 2. 5 seconds!
                * Where did The Haitian get that helix necklace? Are there more? What’s the significance?
                * Nice line: “You son of a *****!” “Easy, Pete, that’s our mother you’re talking about. ” I also enjoy the following thumbs-up.
                * Isaac’s realization that his girl is out kissing another guy as it parallels the actual events is heartbreaking. It’s a good show that can create a conflict and have the viewer root for both opposing parties. I’m so happy for Peter, and I’m so sad for Isaac!

Til next episode, or check out my website for more reviews!
                GoldenGait

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎