No announcement yet.

how do you feel about Clark ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MBCorp
    What in the world is up with this thread? I've been thinking that Clark has been alot more mature and Supermanly this season. So why all the hating on him?
    I'm just confused about the hate. How and why?

I never had a problem with Clark just that maybe the writers might have him accept his powers not seeing them as burden and want to be more proactive in helping other people out. Last week, he seemed ready to accept his destiny and was willing to find the rest of the Zoners. This episode he and Lana were civil and seemed to be moving on showing growing up from a long-standing crush, and GA seems to be opening Clark's eyes of other problems in the world and at the Thanksgiving dinner he looked to be at peace. I thought Clark was moving forward nicely this season and so far have no complaints.

Comment

Originally posted by The Ship!
      I am confused???? HOW MANY TIMES DOES CLARK SAVES LEX WHEN HE KNOWS THAT LEX WOULD RATHER KILL HIM ??

mOREOVER WHY IS CLARK SO WILLING TO SEE LEX SURVIVE...EVEN WHEN LEX HAS KILLED SO MANY?

IS CLARK IN LOVE WITH LEX? WHAT'S UP WITH THIS VIRTUOUS THING WHICH COMES TO THE EXPENSE OF CLARK'S CHARACTER. I MEAN WHAT DOES IT SAY OF A MAN WHO VALUES THE LIVES OF OTHER OVER HIS OWN?
      Because he's going to be Superman. I mean, that's really what it comes down to. Every version of Superman (except ones that were A.U. ones that were wrong) has lived by a higher moral code. It's one of the major attributes that seperates Superman from the rest of the superheroes. He won't take a life (whether innocent or not) willingly. He will always hold himself back and not kill. Because that's what he believes is the right thing to do.

He never kills Lex (in any version of the Superman mythos) because that would make him (in his eyes) an arrogant dictator who determines who had the right to live and who doesn't. He won't play God. Have you ever heard the quote, "absolute power corrupts absolutely"? It's kind of like that -- Clark is afraid that if he crosses the line on this issue then he'll never be able to look back.

This whole issue was explored really well in the animated series, "Justice League Unlimited". There is a Clark Kent/Superman in an alternate universe who kills the Lex Luthor of that universe. And, later on, he ends up becoming a dictator and the "Justice Lords" (that universe's version of the League) run the world like it's under martial law. They decide to take over this universe's world, as well. And, to do so, they have to entrap this world's Justice League. When AUSuperman fights a villian, he immediately uses his laser vision to drill a fiery hole through the villian's head. And Lois Lane is standing by and says, "what did you just do? You lobotomized him! You don't do that!"

Ultimately, the whole point of the episode was to show that Superman (and, later on, the League) could easily abuse their power and authority. It's a constant moral struggle for them to not do it on a daily basis.

I think -- within the context of "SV" -- it's the same ethical dilemma that Clark faces every time he needs to save Lex or Lionel. Sure, he could rid the world of a potential threat. But who is he to use his powers to play God? That's a slippery slope.

Comment

I agree with both sides. Clark is finally progressing. I just want to have the feel that he has a super intelect like Supes is supposed to have. He should be written as the smartest character on the show even at his young age he should be smarter than everyone. Instead we get the BDA. Maybe after his training he'll start to act like the super genius he is supposed to be. But I do feel he is finally making strides to get where he needs to be.

Comment

even I'm smarter then Clark... he's brain damaged

Comment

I miss Kal El.........

Comment

Well, here's my two cents on the matter:

What do you all mean, Clark is stupid? I mean, I understand the whole "sometimes he could use a little more common sense" thing, but I didn't see any of that in Rage. He was trying to save Lex, because that's what Superman does. He's not going to kill anyone, not even Lex, no matter how much they deserve it. Like eas said, it's what sets him apart from the rest of the superheroes.

And as far as a regression goes -- what regression? I was thinking earlier about how glad I was that Rage kept up the "maturing Clark" theme that was started in Fallout. He's finally getting over the nasty break up with Lana and it seems like he might be finally ready to accept that he's different and embrace his abilities. The fact that he might still be letting himself into the Luthor mansion while Lex is in trouble is completely irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

The questionS still stand:

Why save someone when you know that person will kill an innocent once saved?
                Why continue to walk in someone's home when they have told you YOU ARE NOT WELCOME?

Some of you are defending this character (clark), but he is flawed. That flaw was most apparent in the "Aqua" espisode and even in the first episode with GA, ect... ect...

Clark is obsessed, and extremely insecured. He is constantly seeing his life through the eyes of others, he had begun for the first time (once freed from the FZ), and speaking with Raya, to see his life in a newer light. However in this past episode. we see that he has regressed. It is not so much that he needs not save the innocents from harming themselves. I cannot compare Superman to Batman at all. They are in a totally different class. Even when he claims that "it is not for him or GA to decide the faith of Lex", HE IS DECIDING THE FAITH OF LEX, indirectly. And yet In this show we have seen that Lex survives many many times...thanks to: Clark!!

In the movie that came out when apparently Superman is lurking outside lois home and in a weird / perverted way ...scanning the entire home... That was disturbing to say the least.

Clark needs to grow up fast!! So far he is very far from superman.
                Last edited by The Ship!; 11-12-2006, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The questionS still stand:

Why save someone when you know that person will kill an innocent once saved?
                  Why continue to walk in someone's home when they have told you YOU ARE NOT WELCOME?
                  I am not defending Clark on walking into the Luthor mansion. He is an absolute moron to do that and if Lex wanted to, he could press charges on Clark for breaking in there all of the time. As for saving Lex's life, I think that you are now arguing about the concept of Superman. Superman saves lives, whether they deserve to be saved or not. That's how it has always been, so your main problem has to do with who Superman is based on the mythology, not based on something that happens specifically on this show.

Clark needs to grow up fast!! So far he is very far from superman.
                  True, but he is taking major steps so far this season and the writers are clearly pointing out that Superman doesn't sit back and wait for people to come to him, Superman is supposed to be more proactive. It's all part of character development and I give the writers credit for actually giving us some this season.

Comment

You still continue to avoid the question:

WHY save someone you know is about to kill an innocent???

This makes Superman just has guilty for Lex's crimes ...and it pretty much negates all the great things he does or stand for.

My gosh how dumb do you have to be? Given you could save many many innocent lives by neutralizing one man only.

He is not a great superhero. The only things that are great about him are his powers, take that away..and he is nothing...just a baby.

Superman could never ever Do the things Batman does!!!

Comment

You still continue to avoid the question:

WHY save someone you know is about to kill an innocent???

This makes Superman just has guilty for Lex's crimes ...and it pretty much negates all the great things he does or stand for.

My gosh how dumb do you have to be? Given you could save many many innocent lives by neutralizing one man only.

He is not a great superhero. The only things that are great about him are his powers, take that away..and he is nothing...just a baby.

Superman could never ever Do the things Batman does!!!
                      How does Clark know at this point that Lex is going to kill people in the future? And just because Clark saves a guy who is a murderer, that doesn't mean that this guy can just walk the streets if he is found guilty of his crimes. He'll be thrown in jail or end up getting the death penalty.
                      Last edited by myankskent; 11-12-2006, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Great! That premise would work if we lived in a perfect world. We do not.
                        Lex has killed before, Clark now knows it!! Further more we're not talking about the future..

So you think it is ok to save a murderer who will likely kill again another innocent...and wait for justice to happen / or not.

What about saving the innocents??? Does lex's life matter more than others?? Or is it Equal? If it is...then It wouln'd matter if you did good or bad.

This is why i do not like this superhero. He has many flaws and truly has not evolved in this show as i would like him to. Since his encounter with Flash..i really saw that this hero wanna be would not be able to grow beyound his total experiences in smallville ..as a Kent.

Comment

Lex seems fond of the words 'The days of....'

The last one I think was in Wither

the days of you showing up unannounced in my home are over

Aqua

The days of you barging into my home to give me sage advice are over

I KNOW there are at least 2 more instances but I can't pick them just now

Always the same sort of live 'the days of.......... are over.......

Anyways - has anyone else noticed this, cause Lex keeps sayin' it and Clark STILL keeps waltzing on in like he owns the place... what's up with that?

It must be a running joke

Comment

Lex has killed before, Clark now knows it!! Further more we're not talking about the future..
                            Hold on a second. When has Lex killed before? He has never killed anyone in cold blood on this show. He killed Roger Nixon, but that was because he was going to murder Clark's father.

So you think it is ok to save a murderer who will likely kill again another innocent...and wait for justice to happen / or not.
                            And how do you know if the person that you are saving is going to kill again? And how do you know that the courts would let the person off for their crimes? Those are a lot of unknowns for a person to take matters into their own hands and decide if a person deserves to live or die.

This is why i do not like this superhero. He has many flaws and truly has not evolved in this show as i would like him to. Since his encounter with Flash..i really saw that this hero wanna be would not be able to grow beyound his total experiences in smallville ..as a Kent.
                            So what would you like to see on this show? Do you want to see him let Lex Luthor die so that the show would end? I just don't understand what you want out of Clark.

Comment

What about saving the innocents??? Does lex's life matter more than others?? Or is it Equal? If it is...then It wouln'd matter if you did good or bad.

It seems to me that since you hate Clark so much, you should stop watching, instead of ranting and raving about the "flaws" you hate so much. This forum is here to discuss things about the show, not bash. It's great that you have an opinion, but I think most of us don't share it. Anyway, it's not worth blowing a gasket over...it is just a show... *ducks for cover from flying objects*

Comment

I agree. Just because we know what Lex becomes, the characters do not. There has also never been proof of any of Lex's evil doings. Which is why he is not in jail. It is because Chloe and Clark suspect Lex's involvement is why they both are very suspicious of him. Both Chloe and Clark would love to have proof and put him away before anyone is hurt, but that doesn't mean they should commit murder themselves. If Clark let Lex die, he could go to jail for letting a crime happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎