This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• great^^

Comment

• The Kents are getting ready for their first Thanksgiving, without Jonathan. I liked that they had the characters acknowledge this fact. We're shown them having to deal with real-life issues, which is something that I always like.

This episode introduces the Lana pregnancy plot, which I've commented on elsewhere, so I'm not going to go into that.

The main plot concerns Oliver using a healing drug, which I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, I thought they did a good job at getting across why he's pressured to using drugs. He's a normal human, fighting crime and unlike someone like Clark, he has to be worried about being injured or killed. He also has to try and keep up with superpowered people like Clark, Bart Allen and Arthur Curry. On the other hand, it's an issue that he instantly gets over. There is no sense of withdrawal or that he'll be temped to use it again. He's perfectly fine the next day.

Oliver also doesn't appear to have added much protection to his GA suit. He's a billionaire. Yet, he doesn't attempt to make the suit bulletproof.

Comment

• Originally posted by jon-el87
        The Kents are getting ready for their first Thanksgiving, without Jonathan. I liked that they had the characters acknowledge this fact. We're shown them having to deal with real-life issues, which is something that I always like.

This episode introduces the Lana pregnancy plot, which I've commented on elsewhere, so I'm not going to go into that.

The main plot concerns Oliver using a healing drug, which I have mixed feelings about. On the one hand, I thought they did a good job at getting across why he's pressured to using drugs. He's a normal human, fighting crime and unlike someone like Clark, he has to be worried about being injured or killed. He also has to try and keep up with superpowered people like Clark, Bart Allen and Arthur Curry. On the other hand, it's an issue that he instantly gets over. There is no sense of withdrawal or that he'll be temped to use it again. He's perfectly fine the next day.

Oliver also doesn't appear to have added much protection to his GA suit. He's a billionaire. Yet, he doesn't attempt to make the suit bulletproof.
        My other issue with Oliver in this ep is how much of a hypocrite he's being. If Lex is producing this drug for soldiers to use in the military, then that's wrong and evil. But if Ollie himself produces the same drug then that's somehow peachy keen and okay. The worse part is that the narrative of the epidose seems to back Oliver back up on this, even if Oliver ended up paying for some of his vices in this ep.

Despite the fact that Clark saved Lex from Oliver Queen, I still got the feeling that Clark would willingly side with Oliver Queen's viewpoint had he not had been abusing the drugs.That in turn makes Clark Kent look like a hypocrite too.

Comment

An OK episode but my biggest issue with the idea of Oliver using this wonderdrug isn't the side effects, the morality argument or that it makes him look like a junkie, it's the fact that every time the Green Arrow gets shot, the wound doesn't prevent him from injecting himself with the miracle cure. What if he'd been shot in the head like Lex in 'Fracture' for example, or straight through the heart?

In all of the season 6 episodes featuring Oliver, there was an example of his enmity towards Lex, but 'Rage' is the first time we see him perfectly happy for Lex to die. He is even putting those he cares about in harm's way. It didn't crop up in season 7 because Oliver only appeared in one episode, but seasons 8 and 9 had Oliver going on his downward spiral. From what we've gleaned from Oliver's story in the series, it suggests that Oliver was not a good person before being marooned on that island (for however long it was. I know the Arrow version of Oliver Queen was stuck there for 5 years), being a school bully and later a carefree playboy.

'Rage' also brings up one of Lois' apparent foibles that we've never actually seen her display, and that is her biting her nails. Lionel pointed it out to her during their first meeting in 4x01 (Crusade), and she references it in this episode as well as in 5x16 (Hypnotic). Same with the nicotine gum addiction. We saw her talking about trying to quit smoking in 'Crusade' but it never crops up again. Mind you, Lois is smoking in every episode so there is that! She also got over her pet hair allergy from the earlier seasons around about the time Shelby had a sex change. He was referred to as 'boy' in 8x04 (Instinct) by Clark when feeding him at the beginning of the episode, but by 8x19 (Stiletto), Lois was referring to Shelby as a 'she'. Maybe Clark's time reboot using the Legion Ring also messed up the dog's hormones!

'Rage' is a little light on Clark but his actions do serve as the moral counterpoint to Oliver's behaviour. He won't allow Oliver to take the easy out.

I actually liked the Thanksgiving dinner juxtaposition between the Kent farm and the Luthor mansion. Thanksgiving at the Kent farm is presented as a warm, cosy, intimate environment where everyone is enjoying the holiday and the meal. At the Luthor mansion, Lex and Lana are sat at either end of a long table and while I'm sure the food is excellent, the whole experience looks joyless and cold. It was probably the first time Lana would have got an inkling of how isolated she'd become if she and Lex got together for good.

Comment

Working...
          X
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎