X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am looking forward to it.

Comment

Originally posted by monstra
      The CW is always happy. They cant come out and say the shows arent doing as well as they thought can they?
      BUt they can how ever move the show to an easier time slot, or cancel it like runaway.

Networks cant afford to be proud and not recognize when a show is not doing good, if its not doing well they do something about it, whether its canceling it or changing it to a less competitive night, but they havent why, cause SV is doing good, I personaly missed the game (of course I have Tivo) but I was swithching between college footbal and the world series, I watched SV afterwards, cause if I do it the other way around and tape the games instead, its more factible to get really spoiled and find out the final score before watching the game, I rather watch a game live and watch SV afterwards, I would be surprisedmany men think like me.

Comment

Originally posted by MBCorp
        I do have to wonder about that plotline in regard to the ratings, it seems like something that would really turn people off of the show.
        It's going to be interesting. For all of the bashing that I did of Smallville over the Summer, this show has been surprisingly good through the first five episodes. But it's the last 11 or so episodes that could ruin that, which is what happened last season. The storyline that you and I both know about could potentially overpower this show during the second half of the season. I hope it doesn't.

Comment

even if the ratings are holding, it doesn't change the fact that I am fed up with this show. and I love it more than words on a message board or fansite can prove. seasons 5 and 6 are dogsh*t. they're irrelevant.

season 7 get here soon!

Comment

soooo, tells us how you reaaalllly feel now don't hold back, details, details

Comment

Originally posted by ajfinn
              Notice, that the CW article doesn't compete Smallville against ITSELF, this time last year. Yes, they are pointing out the positive, comparing it against how each episode does in comparison to the rest of the previous in the season.

Against its historical ratings, Smallville isn't doing so hot. But for the CW to bring that to attention is bad press. They'd never do that, and I don't blame them

Smallville will stick around, however, if the advertisers are impressed with the numbers. Unless the cost to produce it (SV has to be the most expensive show they make, right?) doesn't keep raking in the cash to pay for itself.
              I think it makes sense for TPTB to compare Season 6 against itself, rather than comparing this season with last season same time last year. Why? Because last year, Smallville was on the WB. This year, Smallville is on the CW. As a product , Smallville on the CW is a completely different animal as compared to Smallville on the WB, from a business and marketing standpoint.

Before the merger of UPN & WB, UPN had its own set of affiliate TV stations while the WB had its own set of partner local stations.

After the merger, CW could not simply pick-up all the affiliates of both UPN & WB. Some affiliates operate in the same area . It doesn't make sense having 2 local stations broadcasting the same show at the same time.So, only one of these affiliates/media outlets (logically the stronger of the 2 stations) would be picked as a partner by the CW. In some cases, the CW would draw up a new contract with a completely new local station, one that was neither affiliated with the WB nor UPN.

Of course all this is a complicated process because it involves negotiating new business contracts (the lawyers on both sides are raking in the big bucks I'm sure!). I bet this complicated process is still ongoing. Meaning there are still some areas that cannot get the CW. The CW has not yet reached all its potential media outlets.

Think of the CW as like a shoe manufacturer, let's say Nike. Nike makes the shoes. But you the consumer, you don't buy your shoes directly from the Nike factory. You buy it from retailers like Macy's, Footlocker, or your local sporting goods store. The retailers are the equivalent of the CW's local stations/affiliates. It's the retailers that actually distribute the goods to the consumer.

Even if Nike makes the most awesome shoe in the world (say it's an all-in-one basketball, football, baseball & running shoe, plus in can do your homework!), that awesome shoe will not sell, if it's not on the shelf of the retailer. The shoe will not be bought if Macy's won't renew it's distribution contract with Nike, or if majority of the Footlocker stores went on strike. Nike still has an awesome shoe but the consumers can't get their hands on it.

CW is in the same boat as of the moment. Great show, great product. But there are some kinks in the distribution thru the media outlets. But that won't be permanent. It will be fixed as soon as the CW finishes all their negotiations with their affiliates.

The CW bigwigs consider all of the above when they look at Smallville's current ratings. And based on that article, TPTB are of the opinion that Smallville is holding strong, despite the fact that the CW is temporarily handicapped (in terms of affiliates and market reach).

Comment

From what you've stated, it sounds more like a lack of proper preparation in the think tank department of CW. Timing is everything. The fact that they did not acquire the licenses or settle the contracts with their affiliates is assinine and wholly incompetent - who does their marketing for pity sake? Goodness - Smallville was a winning product or maybe still is. Therefore it is no excuse to fail to timely present one's product at the market place of TV land if you will. The prospectus should have been out there several years in the making - this is a marketing feature if you will. Point is, the contracts should have been nailed down in advance to the first airing of the season's premiere. To say or suggest that it was not timely nailed down prior to Zod's airing is more than likely due to incompetence. But I could be wrong. A good marketing team will get the job down no matter what. Ideas have a window of "sale time" and then it gone or too late.

If what you say is true, boy, that is not good. Goals and time-tables appear to not have been met, if in point of fact they even had any. which would be just about par for the course of this theme of late. unfortunately.

JMHO

peace

Comment

Originally posted by Damali
                  From Mediaweek:
                  Can someone break this down for me and explain what it means. I get the 4.7 or so millon part, but what does the rest mean?

Thanks in advance!!

Comment

I'm confused about what K-Site posted on the main page of the site.

Even though it was up against Game Four of the World Series, Smallville moved up slightly in the overnight ratings over the previous week. Could that Sunday repeat earlier this week have snagged some viewers' interest?

How do they assume that when both The Office and My Name Is Earl were on repeat?

Duh Smallville did slightly better!

If The Office and My Name is Earl wasn't on repeat I can bet my left arm Smallville's numbers would had been, if not the same as last week or even lower!

I'm going with lower because of these numbers:

Arrow - 3.5/ 5; Viewers: #5, 4.65 million; A18-49: #5, 2.0/ 5
                    Reunion - 3.7/ 6; Viewers: 4.79 million; A18-49 2.2/ 6

That isn't a improvement people! Not when two top shows are on repeat!

So whoever did that write-up is spinning Smallville's numbers along side TheCW.
                    Last edited by Kreukie; 10-28-2006, 04:01 PM.

Comment

"The "Reunion" episode had season highs in men 18-34 and men 18-49 and matched its season best in adults 18-34 and 18-49. Compared to the previous week, Smallville climbed 4 percent in adults 18-34, 10 percent in adults 18-49, 15 percent in men 18-34 and 19 percent in men 18-49. "

Proves my point that females have left Smallville to watch Ugly Betty

Comment

hmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Kreukie
                          b][/i]

How do they assume that when both The Office and My Name Is Earl were on repeat?

That isn't a improvement people! Not when two top shows are on repeat!

So whoever did that write-up is spinning Smallville's numbers along side TheCW.
                          What makes it worse is that even the repeats of those shows, marketed to the same age group, still beat Smallville.

I about cried when I saw that The Office was a repeat

Comment

Oct.16 - Oct.22

America's Next Top Model 5.15
                            Gilmore Girls 4.85
                            Smallville 4.71
                            Friday Night Smackdown 4.67
                            Supernatural 3.29

Oct.23 - Oct.29

America's Next Top Model 5.45
                            Smallville 4.79
                            Gilmore Girls 4.73
                            Friday Night Smackdown 4.48
                            One Tree Hill 3.67
                            Supernatural 3.65

Source: abcmedia

final ratings

anyone else loves how high Supernatural numbers went w/o competition and SVLs ratings still couldnt get atleast 'Wither's ratings again?

PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS

"America's Next Top Model," the highest-rated show last season on UPN, averaged 5 million viewers in its fall 2005 cycle. This fall, as the highest-rated show on the CW, it's averaging 5.3 million.

Whoopee.

(To put this into perspective, NBC's likely-to-be-canceled "Twenty Good Years" is averaging 6 million viewers.)

"One Tree Hill," whose renewal raised some eyebrows last spring, is also up a bit from its WB days, with 3.26 million viewers, compared to the 2.8 million who watched last season.

"Smallville," which drew 4.652 million on the WB last season, is averaging 4.877 million this fall on the CW, which doesn't exactly equal leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

oh and note how the 4.65 its the average of the whole season, the 4.87 its just the average from the episodes so far, imagine how low the average will be by the end of the season
                            Last edited by monstra; 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM.

Comment

And?

Comment

I'll still do my part and watch.
                                IMO, a bad episode of Smallville is still better than no episode of Smallville.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎