Lana questions Clark about his secret, to save Lex

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wingz Of Steel
    I totally agree...

So Clark should be a man and tell her something other than a grade-school OBVIOUS lie and understand he doesn't have the "right" to ask anymore of her aswell..."It's a 2-way street, don't come asking me questions about Lex either..." Remember Lex had told her what to do if something happened to him (Call Detective Pontius and not get anyone else involved), so why tell Clark? Because he's such a pure person? Because he's so good? Because he's Superman? Who knows? He might be Red-K Kal right now? Or the liar from Hypnotic? Or his many other personalities that Lana talked about when she burned him in Vessel...

IMO it's not just that she wants to know "THE SECRET", it's that she hates having her intelligence constantly insulted...Yes Lex suffers from this aswell which oddly enuff has served as a bridge in their friendship prior to Lexana (which is their frustrations in Clark making them feel bad or like idiots when he's doing the lying)...During the "Black Ship Saga" this was an issue of bonding between the 2...while Clark was lying to her Lex preyed on that insecurity and played the "trust-card", and with her being on the rebound she fell for it because she desperatley wants to have trust and be trusted by someone (Jason, Adam, her biological dad from Season 2, Clark couldn't fill this)...and like i've said several times Lex laid seeds for this FAR before Lexana...

And like you so cleverly pointed out, boy I sure do remember Chloe feeling somewhat betrayed and upset Clark didn't put his trust in her when she found out about his powers in Season 4 and she was just the 3rd wheel, imagine being the person that actually sleeps with the guy (Lana). So Chloe can be all pi$$ed and guilt-trippy about secrets in season 4 but not Lana his love interest?

She knows that Clark never has trusted her. I think subconciously this is quite true from Clark's perspective. Remember Clark nearly choked her to death last season in "Splinter" before cheating on her in Hypnotic, before that Red-K Kal dissed her and belittled her...It's true she really doesn't know him and is conflicted by so many of his personality changes..."Transference" Clark, Silver-Kryptonite Clark, "Mortal" Clark (who promised "NO MORE LIES"), Reckoning Clark who had to lie about that being a "special day"... But you want her to be all open with Clark now and just trust him? Hell she might even think he has a connection to the Kryptonians she's seen because of his lies...Man you guys are hard on this chick, but put yourself in her shoes...

I totally sympathize with Clark (AT TIMES), but if he wasn't Superman would you really tolerate his behavior in a realistic relationship?
    From Lana's POV no, but from our POV, were we know WHY Clark has acted like this (I.e. none of it is his fault), yes. The "Mortal" Clark is his real personality in my opinion....

Comment

I totally sympathize with Clark (AT TIMES), but if he wasn't Superman would you really tolerate his behavior in a realistic relationship?
      Absolutely not, and I'm growing tired of Clark being such a pansy.

Comment

Originally posted by ajfinn
        Absolutely not, and I'm growing tired of Clark being such a pansy.
        You are mean

Comment

So, why exactly SHOULD Clark trust Lana ( or anyone else) with a secret that woudl land him in Quantico Bay ??

Comment

I always wanted Clark to tell Lana and still do. But, by her hinting that she was going to tell Lex about Clark knowing he was going to turn into Zod made me feel otherwise. If I were Clark, that one statement "Not Yet" would be enough for me not to tell her. But, I'm not Clark, so I want Lana to find out.

Comment

I totally agree...

So Clark should be a man and tell her something other than a grade-school OBVIOUS lie and understand he doesn't have the "right" to ask anymore of her aswell..."It's a 2-way street, don't come asking me questions about Lex either..." Remember Lex had told her what to do if something happened to him (Call Detective Pontius and not get anyone else involved), so why tell Clark? Because he's such a pure person? Because he's so good? Because he's Superman? Who knows? He might be Red-K Kal right now? Or the liar from Hypnotic? Or his many other personalities that Lana talked about when she burned him in Vessel...

IMO it's not just that she wants to know "THE SECRET", it's that she hates having her intelligence constantly insulted...Yes Lex suffers from this aswell which oddly enuff has served as a bridge in their friendship prior to Lexana (which is their frustrations in Clark making them feel bad or like idiots when he's doing the lying)...During the "Black Ship Saga" this was an issue of bonding between the 2...while Clark was lying to her Lex preyed on that insecurity and played the "trust-card", and with her being on the rebound she fell for it because she desperatley wants to have trust and be trusted by someone (Jason, Adam, her biological dad from Season 2, Clark couldn't fill this)...and like i've said several times Lex laid seeds for this FAR before Lexana...

And like you so cleverly pointed out, boy I sure do remember Chloe feeling somewhat betrayed and upset Clark didn't put his trust in her when she found out about his powers in Season 4 and she was just the 3rd wheel, imagine being the person that actually sleeps with the guy (Lana). So Chloe can be all pi$$ed and guilt-trippy about secrets in season 4 but not Lana his love interest?

She knows that Clark never has trusted her. I think subconciously this is quite true from Clark's perspective. Remember Clark nearly choked her to death last season in "Splinter" before cheating on her in Hypnotic, before that Red-K Kal dissed her and belittled her...It's true she really doesn't know him and is conflicted by so many of his personality changes..."Transference" Clark, Silver-Kryptonite Clark, "Mortal" Clark (who promised "NO MORE LIES"), Reckoning Clark who had to lie about that being a "special day"... But you want her to be all open with Clark now and just trust him? Hell she might even think he has a connection to the Kryptonians she's seen because of his lies...Man you guys are hard on this chick, but put yourself in her shoes...

true story. well done

Comment

Now all we have to do is figure out how ANY relationship Lana has had, or anyone on Smalville for that matter, is a "realistic relationship".

Comment

Originally posted by Kryptonian-Ronin
                  Now all we have to do is figure out how ANY relationship Lana has had, or anyone on Smalville for that matter, is a "realistic relationship".
                  funny nuthin' but a soap opera

Comment

She doesn't seem overly obsessed to me. Realistically, with all that's happened, who wouldn't be as curious as she is?

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Kal-El20
                      I'm starting to wonder why Lana is so obsessed in finding out his secret. Someone that eager has something up their sleeve. Clark is doing the right thing in not telling her. I wouldn't trust her either. I mean people have a right to their privacy. I think Lana is too nosy. She reminds me of that neighbor on 'Bewitched'.

What a dumb a** thing to say! Lana has already proven that she can deal with Clark's secret and you say something like she can't be trusted. God, how stupid!

Comment

But she can't be trusted. But what she can't be trusted with is to know the secret and stay alive. That is the problem, not that she'll tell someone, but that she'll be victimized. Lana is way to readible as she proved that with Lex in Reckoning, and not only that is that her judgement and choices are very bad and she even admits it. This only provides someone the ability to take advantage of her.

Comment

Originally posted by All about Clark
                          But she can't be trusted. But what she can't be trusted with is to know the secret and stay alive. That is the problem, not that she'll tell someone, but that she'll be victimized. Lana is way to readible as she proved that with Lex in Reckoning, and not only that is that her judgement and choices are very bad and she even admits it. This only provides someone the ability to take advantage of her.
                          well just like any other 19-20 year old, has to be taught the "ropes" about who you can deal with and who you should not have to deal with. The problem with the show is that the character seems to get a pass on alot of things that she should not have gotten the pass "just cause she's pretty." Those life lessons are important and help to mold the individual's make or breaking point. hHer problem is that she can be broken (mentally) real easy. They dropped the ball on that one. JMHO

Comment

My feelings about Lana questioning Clark

I totally agree...

1. Let’s get one thing straight here, ok? this is not about superman. This is Smallville. we all know that Smallville is about Clark Kent. Not Superman. This is Clark before superman. so please do not confuse Clark with superman. They’re the same person just with different alter egos. Superman is the future, Clark Kent is the past and present. That’s what we are now seeing is Clark Kent. We won’t see him transition into superman until later in the series. Not before that.

2 Who’s being more hypocritical here? I’ll assure you it’s not Clark. if you want my honest opinion, Lana doesn’t deserve Clark. if all she’s gonna to do is disrespect Clark’s privacy and take advantage of him. Trust is not a right. Trust is not an obligation. Trust is not an expectation, and trust is not something you should be entitled to, even if you feel or believe that you are entitled to that trust, trust doesn’t work that way. Trust is a privilege that has to be earned and Lana did not earn that trust. She constantly abused and took advantage of Clark’s trust.

3 Chloe betrayed Clark, not the other way around, she made the deal with Lionel behind Clark’s back for her own personal gain, after she promised she would stop looking into his life and she broke that promise in seasons 2 & 3. Chloe went to Lionel because Clark pushed her away, and didn’t tell her about him and Lana. Chloe always had a thing for Clark since the 8th grade, and Chloe always had this bitterness and resentment towards Lana for jumping in and deciding that she has feelings for Clark too.

4 Clark may have never really got Lana (nor did he respect her): Clark treated Lana like a five-year-old. I mean, throughout the series, everyone wants to protect Lana (and let's face it, up until about Season 6 she actually needed it), but Lana did not want to be protected. If Clark had truly understood her, he would have acknowledged that and stopped acting like she wasn't able to make her own decisions. It's a constant theme throughout the series until Lana's departure at the end of Requiem. Something's going on, Lana finds out about part of it or all of it and tries to help (or accidentally makes it worse, or whatever), and Clark acts like she's made of glass and should just stay out of it. Lana is not a strong woman (at least initially), but she is definitely durable and she's not stupid. Clark treats her like she's a child who doesn't know the stove is hot. It shows an incredible lack of respect for her on his part. It's in his nature to protect people, but there's a difference between protecting the people you care for, and making the assumption that they're too fragile to look after themselves and just locking them up in a metaphorical ivory tower. Clark protected Lois and Chloe (for example), but when he hovered too near they gently (or not so gently, on occasion) reminded him that they were big girls who could in fact take responsibility for themselves. No matter how much Lana protested that she didn't need to be protected, however, Clark seemingly refused to view her as someone capable of protecting herself. A noticeable example is in the beginning of Requiem, when Clark brings out the (formerly) kryptonite necklace. Lana has made it apparent in the past that she views this necklace as a symbol of the helpless girl she used to be, which is something she hates. She hates that she used to be so weak and dependent. She has spent the last six to eight months literally torturing herself in order to put that weak, dependent girl in the past and become a competent (if incredibly dark) woman. And the very first thing Clark does with the necklace is to put it around her neck... and Lana has this incredibly uncomfortable expression on her face. It's like he's putting a collar on a dog. Except that by that point, Lana wasn't a puppy anymore, she was a wolf, and he was trying to put her right back in her cage. And he was doing that because the girl that he loved was in fact that girl who always needed Clark Kent to save her, not the woman who didn't want to be saved by anybody but herself. The way Clark treats her is actually incredibly demeaning to Lana. Sure, for most of the time he knew her she was a very confused young woman who didn't know who she was and so she absorbed the personality of whomever she dated last, but by the time Season 7 rolled around, she was actually starting to find who she was, and he couldn't seem to respect that. She went a little (actually a lot) too far with it in Season 7, but the truth is, she was always dark like that underneath. Her relationship with Lex just brought it to the surface. And because Clark knew, underneath it all, that he couldn't love a girl with that much darkness in her, he refused to treat her as the adult she had become and instead chose to plaster the sunshiny face of the girl he first knew over top of the woman she'd become, and it's insulting to her. It also shows in the fact that after Lana puts on the Prometheus suit, Clark's immediate reaction to this is "Oh god, this is horrible, she's gonna go on another crime spree isn't she?" Actually, I think the actual conversation this reaction is flat-out stated in was an unaired scene (that counts as canon, right?), but that general feeling of this is seriously not good runs right through his whole reaction to Super Lana, both aired and unaired. He does not trust her to be responsible when given that kind of power, and if he truly loved her the way he's constantly claiming he does, you'd think he would have enough faith in her to trust her not to immediately go out and start killing people or something.

But Lana never really got Clark (nor did she trust him): Early on in the series, Lana and Clark bonded over the whole orphan thing, and they could empathize with each other about the baggage that brings along, and that was good. But beyond those first tentative explorations into each other, Lana didn't really seem to absorb much about him other than that "Clark Kent lies." Which is actually kind of hilarious, because Clark is honest to a fault... except about this one thing.If Lana truly was Clark's one true love or whatever, it shouldn't have bothered her so much that he had a secret. I can totally understand getting frustrated that someone you love won't open up to you. It would be frustrating to anyone, but Lana took it way past the point of acceptability. Rather than taking all the other things she knew about him (that he was a good man, that he always put the well-being of those around him before himself, and that even if he did so by accident, he never ever wanted to hurt her or see her be hurt, for example) and deciding whether all the good things she knew outweighed this one single bad thing, she fixated obsessively on something that (from her perspective) was his one flaw. She wasn't the only one to do this (notable examples being such dark creatures as Tess and Lex), but she was certainly the one most bothered by it. It flat out comes down to the fact that she plain did not trust him. Admittedly, Lana doesn't trust anybody, but if she and Clark really were as deeply connected as they always claimed they were, she should have been able to at least trust that he wasn't keeping secrets for malicious reasons and wait for him to tell her in his own time. A person's trust (especially a person like Clark, who lives the kind of life he does) is a privilege, not a right. Lana expected his implicit trust without ever giving him her own. She didn't trust him enough to be honest with him about her own secrets (which were many), and she didn't trust him to love who she really was any more than he trusted her to love who he really was. This is proven time and time again in the series. She said it herself at the end of Season 2, and again in Season 7: From Accelerate: "This might sound silly... but I have this fear that-- that one day you'll finally get a good look at me and... I'm going to disappoint you. That you'll see that I'm not as strong or as good as you think I am. And I'm afraid that it'll change the way you feel about me." Which is a legitimate fear, all things considered. Clark "fell in love" with her apparently years before they ever had a conversation that lasted more than thirty seconds. Now, I know that love at first sight is all super-romantic and all, and if it happens to someone, then great. But you can't just rely on blind love to carry you through. You have to actually know the person and actually love everything there is to know about them as well. Otherwise that "love at first sight" kind of love is purely superficial. You have to understand someone's flaws and strengths and accept all of them, and Lana suspected even then that Clark didn't really want to do that. Trust me when I say I know the feeling - being put on a pedestal is not fun. From Wrath: "Don't do that. Don't take all the blame so that you don't taint the image of me that you created. I have to live with the decisions that I've made. I just need to know that you love me. No matter what." So from this we can clearly see that Lana's feelings on the subject haven't really changed in the five intervening years. She still feels as though she is not really the person that Clark loves and is still asking him to love her despite her flaws rather than just pretending they don't exist. She never could trust him to just love her as she was. (And it's interesting to note that not even two years previously, Clark promised oh-so-sincerely in exactly those words that he would always love Lana, no matter what, but when she asks him to make that promise again after her actions in Wrath, he's somber and silent, noticeably questioning whether that's even true anymore.) That, in the end, was what led her to putting on the Prometheus suit. It wasn't the only reason, but it was a big part of it. She thought if she could become someone and something else, then maybe it would work and he would love her the way she wanted him to. If you really want to be in a relationship that works, it can't be that it works because you fundamentally changed something about yourself. It needs to work because it always worked, and if things change along the way (because let's face it, people are constantly in a state of flux and change happens), then that's okay, but the change can't happen because "if I do this, maybe he'll love me more." That's an incredibly infantile and unhealthy way of thinking. On another note, I have to bring up the Bizarro thing. I have to. If Lana is supposedly so in love with Clark and as in tune with him as true love couples are supposed to be, it should have been obvious pretty quickly that something was wrong. Maybe not immediately, but after a couple of days (especially once Bizarro started sleeping with her, which Clark had refused to do), Lana should have at least picked up on the differences. And then once she did realize that the man she'd been living with for three weeks wasn't actually Clark, she flat-out said she preferred him."I've never been more in love than I have the past month. But it wasn't with you... it was with him." Or how about how she described Bizarro as being more affectionate and more understanding, that being with him was easier? That implies right there that Bizarro was giving her something (besides the obvious) that she wasn't getting from Clark, something that she needed from a relationship. Now, a relationship doesn't have to fulfill every need in your life (and in fact, for it to be healthy, it shouldn't), but in that situation, when you actively preferred your relationship with a different person, that's a time for reevaluation. Oh wait, but she killed Bizarro, didn't she? So why bother to reevaluate since you murdered the person who made the reevaluation necessary meaning the option is no longer available?
                            (That was sarcasm, by the way...)

and Lana never respected Clark (nor did she appreciate him).Lana is always constantly criticizing Clark (and she also often criticizes Chloe at times, but mostly Clark) for his questionable, unpredictable, confusing, evasive and secretive behavior and Lana has always taken Clark for granted but even if Lana is grateful for Clark being in her life, she will always be ungrateful for all that Clark has done for her so far. being there for her, befriending her, protecting her, saving her life countless times, helping her, giving her advice, her taking his advice, being patient with her, being understanding, selflessly risking his life for her in the process, looking out for her, having her best interest at heart and always trying to do what's best for her, you know, trying to do right by her. and what does Lana do to repay him for his kindness and compassion? criticism. Criticism and pressure. Nagging. demanding. prying. space invading. pressing. pushing. complaining. crossing lines, disrespecting boundaries you name it. and Clark never calls Lana out on any of these things she was doing to him, like he did with Chloe and Lex. Lana is too obsessively focused on honesty and having people being truthful to her and not reciprocating the same. And don't get me wrong, Honesty is very important value to have, but honesty is not the only value that is important, there are many other values that are just as equally important as honesty. Lana expects too much from Clark, she doesn't even acknowledge his good qualities, she was just only interested in finding out his secret no matter what the cost. (so Lana is no different from Lex) One minute, Lana declares her love for Clark and then the next minute she's disrespecting him. You don't hurt some one that you love because you’re the one who’s hurting, you can't say that you love some one one minute, and then disrespect them the next minute that is not ok. Lana has abused and taken advantage of Clark's trust. Love. nature. powers and hospitality, she is horrible to him on so many levels, and therefore brought out the worst in Clark (appreciation to men, is what affection and reassurance are to women) Lana never appreciated Clark and if Lana doesn't know what Clark is thinking then Clark is probably thinking of leaving, but never does when he should.

and plus Clark and Lana are always constantly questioning their relationship:
                            : This one actually applies a lot more to Clark than to Lana, but Lana did her fair share of questioning, too.Clark is often saying things such as his reaction in Lockdown when Martha suggests telling Lana the truth. He doesn't trust her to react well to his secret. I recently re watched the entire series from start to finish with a friend who had never seen the show before, and he's CONSTANTLY saying stuff like this. With one breath he protests that he loves Lana so much, and in the very next sentence he says he's just not sure that being together is right for them. Off the top of my head I can't remember all the examples (I really should have written them down), but there are a LOT, at least three that are practically word-for-word the same statement. For example, during Reckoning (before the reset), when Clark tells Chloe about asking Lana to marry him, he insists that he "knows" that she's going to say "they're too young, that there's a reason [he] didn't tell her before, that there's too much at stake," but Chloe is nothing but supportive and happy for him, even knowing how she felt about him at that time. Chloe didn't think those negative thoughts about Clark and Lana's relationship... but Clark did. He voiced them as being Chloe's supposed thoughts, but those thoughts didn't come from Chloe's head. They came from Clark's. And that's not the only time, to be sure! Lana: We should have come together, Clark. That's what couples do when these things happen, they turn to each other. Clark: Why didn't we? Lana: I love you. I love you with all of my heart, but I don't know how to talk to you anymore. The above excerpt is another interesting thing to touch on. Instead of buckling down and putting their heads together to figure out how to solve the problems in their relationship, they just walk away from each other immediately after that conversation. Rather than making the effort to try to fix their problems, they seem to find it easier to just mention them once, sweep them under the rug, and let them fester there until their relationship is so damaged that they simply have to break up again... and then get back together, promise each other that "this time, it'll be different" and then proceed to make exactly the same mistakes. The way they interact with each other is so immature. Sure, they're cute together in a quiet sort of way, but they are obviously unwilling (or perhaps unable, which is worse) to put in the effort that is absolutely necessary to any relationship to make one work. And when they fight? They fight like five-year-old kids on the playground, attacking each other and making conscious efforts to hurt each other emotionally, rather than taking a step back and tackling the actual problem together and working out how to make their relationship stronger. Basically, any problem that comes along can put cracks in their relationship, and a big problem can shatter it like glass. That's not how a healthy relationship works- a healthy relationship learns to become stronger under pressure and adapts to the challenges of life, rather than breaking up extremely quickly.

But If Clark & Lana really wanted to be together, they would be If Clark honestly, truly wanted to be with Lana so badly because she was the great love of his life, he would have made it happen. As he himself posited in Promise, all of that "the only way to protect her is by lying to her" stuff was mostly an excuse. There was some truth to it, sure, but mostly he just told himself that because he didn't trust her to react the way he hoped.Clark never fought for their relationship. Sure, he's definitely the self-sacrificing martyr type, but you notice how he fought pretty damn hard to keep his relationships with Alicia and Lois despite pretty intense obstacles to both? He didn't fight for Lana. He found it easier to break up with her in Season 5 than to try to find a way to work through their issues. He just let her go at the end of Season 7, when he could have chased after her if he'd really wanted to, but clearly even once he got back from Russia, he never even considered it and just moved on with his life. In Season 8, there was the kryptonite debacle, but you know what? I can think of two EASY solutions to that right off the top of my head. If he'd really wanted to, he could have used the Legion ring to go back in time and stop Toy man from setting up that bomb in the first place, and they never would have had the problem. OR he could have found himself some more Blue K and worn it while he was around her, meaning that the Green K wouldn't affect him and they could be together, then he could take it off and still fulfill his duties as the Blur (and later Superman). So don't tell me "they just never had their chance," because they had plenty of chances. Neither of them just ever seemed to find that it was worth it.The only times Clark actually takes action with regards to Lana is when it looks like he's flat-out going to lose her for good. At the end of Season 3, for example, or in Promise like 2.6 seconds before her wedding. To me, this seems to indicate that his continued dependency on that relationship stems, not from the fact that he loves Lana so desperately that he can't even imagine his life without her (because clearly he can since he moves on quite quickly after she's permanently gone and seems pretty much content with his life), but from the fact that he was scared of growing up. His very negative encounters with Jor-El gave him a very negative impression of his destiny, and if he grew up and let go of that first love that was so very strongly associated with his childhood, that meant he had to accept the burden of that destiny which he was afraid to do. Meaning that in a subconscious way, holding onto Lana was his way of holding onto a simpler, easier time.If he had really wanted it, he could have taken any opportunity to make it work, but he didn't. If a guy really wants something, he makes it happen, and Clark may be Kryptonian but he's still a guy. Clark didn't make it happen.Incidentally, Lana also could have made it happen, but she seemed perfectly content to sit back and if Clark made a move she'd dive right in but she didn't seem secure enough in her feelings to actually commit to them unless Clark had already declared himself... or if he was about to leave her, or if fiery death was about to rain down on them and she thought she was probably going to either die or go to jail or if she was about to leave Smallville for good and it didn't matter or... well, you get the picture. The only time outside of these "dire circumstance" type situations is at the end of Power when she's convinced that she's done the one thing that will make her Clark's "equal" (even though it was never a physical equal that he needed). Then she has to actively convince him that this is definitely the right decision, as he's clearly reluctant to go there again.One of the biggest rules of storytelling is that you have to expose your characters by way of showing who they are through their actions, not just telling about them. Sure, you can say anything you want, but the actions have to match the words or the words ring false. Clark and Lana are constantly saying how they love each other so much, but the way they actually act with regards to each other says something completely different. Actions always, always, always say more than words.

but the cold hard truth is that Clark and Lana do not have the same moral code:
                            This is the biggie. You know how marriages collapse because the two people manage money in very different ways, or couples break up because one of them is pro-life and the other is pro-choice and they can't find a common ground? It's the same principle. Lana absolutely believes from the bottom of her heart that the ends justify the means. If she does something wrong (such as steal a car, or a lot of money, or engage in espionage and armed assault, or physically assault no less than three people, or any of the long, long list of morally questionable actions that Lana takes over the course of the series), she feels that it is totally okay as long as her end goal is good. Now, I know we all hated the Star Wars prequels, but you know what Lana's reasoning sounds like? A whole lot like the kind of reasoning that led Anakin to becoming Darth Vader. If you do bad things for good reasons, it doesn't make you a hero. It makes you an anti-hero, and it's very easy for an anti-hero to become a villain if she/he is not careful. Clark, in contrast, has a very rigid code of ethics. We know this. If you don't know exactly what Clark Kent's moral code is by now, what the hell show have you been watching? Yes, he is capable of going too far when he's emotional- anyone is- but when he's thinking rationally, he draws a line in the sand and WILL NOT CROSS IT. Lana looks at the line, scuffs out a place with her toe, and slips over it, and justifies that because killing five people would save fifty. And why shouldn't she view the world that way? Until Season 7, she suffered absolutely no consequences for any of her actions because Clark and Lex (and earlier, Nell) absorbed all the consequences for her (and even during Season 7, she never suffered any consequences such as jail time for her crimes or anything, she only suffered the consequence of damage being done to her relationship with Clark). Hell, in Phoenix (during S3), she straight up killed a guy and suffered no consequences for it. It could be called self-defense, yeah, but based on most
                            U.S. laws it would probably be considered something called Constructive Manslaughter which would still earn her jail time. Yet after she impales the dude, it's basically never mentioned again. She seems to suffer no remorse for killing a man, and I'm sorry, but that's kind of weird. Even if he was a criminal, even if it was manslaughter and not murder, I would still feel incredibly bad for being the reason a person's life ended. From Siren:“Every transgression that I have made, you have answered with a hypocritical judgment. No one can live up to your self-righteous standards." The point here is that no relationship can survive- and I mean NO relationship, at least of a romantic type- when the two people involved have such a wildly divergent attitudes about morality and personal responsibility. It's one of those absolute fundamentals that just has to be there. You don't have to agree on every little detail, but the gist of it has to be relatively similar. Clark and Lana's moral codes are not relatively similar. One thing I know for certain about love is this: you find your soul mate when you find someone who might be very different from you on the surface, but underneath all the top layers, you're the same. Clark and Lana are very similar on the surface. They're both fairly reserved people who come from similar backgrounds, both intelligent and with a predilection for melancholy and dwelling on the past. Underneath that, however, in the real sinew and bone of who they are, they're incredibly different people. They're sort of like what would happen if you tried to make a pair of pants, and you made one leg out of denim and the other leg out of lace. Both legs are the same shape and the pants will fit, but you probably don't want to wear them! ...And with that rather odd metaphor, I'll conclude this epic-length post and officially rest my case (at least until the next time the YouTube comments section pisses me off and sends me on another rant, anyway). Lana and Clark may have loved each other, but love is not enough. Love is the reason that you fight through the hard things. It's the best part of any relationship. But it's not the only thing a relationship needs. A successful relationship also needs trust, respect, friendship, and the willingness to work through obstacles (even obstacles within the relationship itself) as a couple. Clark and Lana had the love, alright, but they did not have ANY of the other elements. They didn't often trust each other, they didn't often respect each other, and despite all their talk of "we're just friends" in the first two seasons, they weren't ever really friends in the way Clark was with the other girls in his life (including the woman he married, who declared him to be her best friend). And when two people find it easier to just give up rather than try to untangle their problems, I wouldn't call that "working through obstacles."

I am sorry that this post is very, very long. My apologies. This is an article on Clana that I found on line a long time ago, I just came across it one day and it’s not mine so I can’t take credit for it, But I felt I had to explain the Clana relationship to you as to why the Clana doesn’t work as a response to this comment that you made. because your comment really got under my skin somehow and I don’t know why that is, I just somehow reacted very weirdly to that comment, I can’t really explain it nor describe it. So I don’t know if I should be offended by your comment or not. I don’t know if I should let it bother me. You know what, I’m not going to do that. I am simply going to not let it bother me or be offended by it, I am simply going to be confused by your comment and say that i don’t understand and this makes no sense to me, and ask what are you trying to say in this post? because I don’t know how else to respond your comment without people taking offense to it or causing waves or even creating disharmony. I don’t want to say anything stupid that would set any one on an offensive rant.
                            Last edited by laurarawlins; 01-03-2017, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎