No announcement yet.

Shipless

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipless

This is a short, one-shot fic. It was originally written as an entry into the K-Site story contest. Since it wasn't selected for the voting (by the K-Site mods), I decided to post it here for you to read.

Of the two stories I entered, this was my favorite. It's not a pure Clana story, rather, all three ships have chances here.

Shipless

Newly graduated from Central Kansas A&M, with a degree in journalism of all things, Clark Kent had leaned on an old acquaintance to get his first job. Perry White had just been named editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet and was eager to help out the young man who had saved his life. Well, he had been eager once he read a sample of Clark’s work in college. As a consequence, Clark was moving to Metropolis, where he had found a small studio apartment that he could afford in an unsavory part of town.

Clark watched from the porch as the last box was loaded into the delivery truck for the trip to Metropolis. He could just as easily have rented a truck and moved it all himself, but being hired by the Daily Planet had its perks, including the use of professional movers. His mom had already taken a smaller house in town, which, between Clark moving out and her spending half of the year in Topeka, was all she would need.

The movers had his new address, but they wouldn’t deliver until tomorrow morning, so Clark watched, hands stuffed in his pockets, as the delivery van rumbled down the hard-packed driveway, taking with it everything he owned that was not already stuffed into his pickup.

As soon as the truck disappeared from sight, Clark returned to the house, making one last sweep to assure himself nothing would be left behind. The house seemed…larger somehow, now that everything that had made it a home was gone.

The giant auction they had held the week before had attracted buyers of all kinds. Some were farmers looking to pick up some lightly-used equipment at a good price. Others were sale junkies, the kind of people that check the newspaper daily to find the best sales. Still others were just curious, wanting to see what the State Senator was getting rid of.

Some of the damnedest things brought on minor bidding wars, like Martha’s cookbooks and his old high school football jersey. The cookbooks were bought by old Mrs. McGreevey who cackled that now she would finally be able to win the baking contest at the Lowell County Fair. The jersey was won by Chloe of all people. At the end, she outbid the owner of a local sporting goods store who had wanted a piece of memorabilia from Smallville High’s last state championship to display in his store.

When asked why she had chosen that item, Chloe’s face went red as she remembered what she hadn’t been wearing on that long ago night in the loft and replied, “I kind of liked the way I looked in this, Clark. Plus, having this brings back memories of a different time in our lives.”

“Believe it or not, Chloe, I also liked the way you looked that day. I was just focused on someone else back then and your behavior kind of weirded me out.” Gesturing at the jersey in her hand, Clark added, “If I had known you wanted the jersey, I would have given it to you.”

“I know you would have. You’ve given so much to so many people over the years. Giving is a part of who you are, but I wanted to win this fair and square.”

Lana made a purchase of her own, something that only a select few knew the significance of: Clark’s old telescope. Broken and put away in its case, Clark thought it poetic that it was purchased by the woman who had so often been its focus. She and Chloe had driven down for the sale and for one last look around the memory-filled farm before it was sold. Clark made the same comment to her about wishing he could give her what she had already purchased.

Like Chloe, Lana demurred, saying, “Clark, you’ve given me so much, more than I could ever reasonably hope for from a friend. I can’t take any more from you…unless I’m allowed to give you something in return.”

Clark knew what Lana was referring to, a return to a full-blown romantic relationship. That was something Clark couldn’t handle with Lana right now. The odd thing was, his secrets were no longer in the way. Once Lana had discovered what Lex was all about and dumped him, she and Clark had taken a long time and had painstakingly rebuilt their friendship to the point that he had finally let her in on his secrets.

What was stopping them now was that Lana was like a hot stovetop for him: once burned, twice shy. Having seen her with Lex and knowing that her allegiance had, for a time at least, been given to his greatest enemy had broken something inside of him…something he thought might not be fixable. So while they had rebuilt their friendship, restarting a romance would be hard.

As for dating Chloe, he had tried and tried once he returned from the Phantom Zone, but she had turned him down. She was steadfast in wanting to maintain their close friendship but had smoothly deflected all of his attempts at something more. Clark couldn’t figure her out. That last kiss before his first showdown with Zod had been filled with passion, a passion she now denied at every turn. She had Jimmy, though how Chloe the adrenaline junkie dealt with a boyfriend who was just this side of comatose was beyond Clark’s ability to figure out.

Things were completely backwards. Lana wanted him and he wanted Chloe, and just like in high school, he didn’t have either. That confusion eventually led him, almost by a process of elimination, to Lois. They started dating right about the time she had left her position as his mom’s chief of staff to work for the Inquisitor. She was free because it turned out that Oliver Queen wasn’t such a straight arrow after all.

Lois was the one woman in his life who had never obsessed about his secrets. If she even suspected he was hiding something, she never said and didn’t seem to care. As annoying as she could sometimes be, Clark was comfortable with her. All she cared about was him. It felt wonderful to love and be loved, without conditions. Conversely, the fact that she didn’t care about his secrets made it easier for him to tell her everything.

And then came the mind wipe.

Clark and Jor-El had been going back and forth for years about his ‘destiny,’ with Jor-El insisting on 24/7 immersion in his duties and Clark steadfastly refusing any duties at all. Finally, they agreed on a compromise. Clark came to realize the good he could do with his abilities, but he also wanted to live a normal life, so they created a compromise: an alter ego, someone Clark could be as he used his abilities in public, so that no one would suspect mild-mannered Clark Kent. In order to make this work, Jor-El agreed to help him with the one constant threat to his secrets: Lex Luthor.

There was no bodily possession or anything as inelegant as that this time. No, Lex was handled at long range with a mind wipe. Jor-El made it so Lex would forget everything about Clark except his name and that they were friendly acquaintances. If Lex came across any information hinting at Clark’s secrets, his mind would just pass over it as if it wasn’t there. Now, the only way Lex could mentally link Clark and his alter ego was if Clark told Lex himself. Clark, his family, and his friends, were finally safe from Lex’s predation.

The problem was, Lois was talking to Lex at the time of the mind wipe, trying to get him to leave Clark alone, and was caught in the effect. She also forgot everything about Clark. When she came to, Clark was nothing more to her than a vaguely annoying friend. She was disdainful when told by everyone she knew that Clark was her boyfriend. ‘What could I ever see in Clark?’ was her snide reply. To Clark himself, Lois just said, ‘In your dreams, Smallville.’

Clark was crushed. He and Lois were back to square one, and there was no way for him to know how their relationship would be rebuilt. Would they be friends, would they be enemies, would they fall in love?

So as he embarked on this new phase of his life, there were three women out there, each as distinct as primary colors. Chloe had taken a position at the Daily Planet just like he had, Lana was the newest reporter for KMET TV-9 news, and Lois had recently been hired away from her position as a reporter for the Inquisitor to work at the Daily Planet. He knew the right girl was out there, and he suspected she was one of those three. Could he get past the heartache and try again with Lana? Could he get Chloe to take a chance on him? Could he manage to rebuild what he had had with Lois? He didn’t know, but there’d be plenty of time to find out once he made it to Metropolis.

Clark finished his tour at the kitchen door, stepping out into the yard before locking the door one last time. He would take the keys by his mom’s house an slide them through her front door mail slot on his way out of town, but first, he needed to take one last look at the loft.

Seconds later, standing in the open loft doorway, Clark looked out over what he could see of the Kent farm. The cattle had long since been sold, leaving only emerald grass and wooden fences. Turning to look at the loft, at his loft, one last time, Clark didn’t see the loft as it was, empty as the day his dad completed building it, but as it had been.

He saw the day Chloe gave him his first kiss, the day his father told him he was an alien, the day Lana brought him a midnight birthday cake. On and on the memories came, first a trickle and then a torrent. Faster and faster they raced, until they seemed to be nothing more than a continuous smear of color, one blending into the next. And yet for Clark, each memory was distinct, each moment precious.

At long last, it was time. Time for him to move on to the next step in his life, both as Clark Kent, rookie reporter, and as the hero he was called to be. He closed the loft doors, turned off the lights, and closed the barn doors as he walked out into the dying sunlight. Clark drove down the hard-packed driveway not looking back, but looking ahead, wondering what was in store for both Clark Kent and the guy in the red and blue suit.

Could he get past the heartache and try again with Lana?
    YES! Definitely!
    Could he get Chloe to take a chance on him?
    Nah, why would you wanna do that, Clark? Forget Chloe.
    Could he manage to rebuild what he had had with Lois?
    No way! She was your THIRD choice, Clark. Why would you want to settle for that?

Go for what you REALLY want, Clark. You know you never really wanted anyone else except Lana. She's waiting for you, Clark. Go to her. Fly!

Okay, Card, now you need to write an epilogue, so this can really be a Clana fic.

Comment

Oops! Forget my comments on the other one-shot. I really thought this one had a chance...

I wasn't impressed much by the competition, so I can't really guess which stories they might have chosen (unless they were smart enough to choose one or both by SVsleuth, of course ).

**Edit**

2nd again? I was first when I replied...

I agree. You have to do the epilogue, if only to make this the appropriate forum for your story...
      Last edited by happycamper; 10-04-2006, 11:42 PM.

Comment

z
        yeah lol you have to continue and have him choose Lana!
        we know u want too!lol
        Last edited by NYC300Z; 10-04-2006, 11:49 PM.

Comment

I wasn't impressed much by the competition, so I can't really guess which stories they might have chosen (unless they were smart enough to choose one or both by SVsleuth, of course
          Thanks, hc. I appreciate that. But neither of mine were selected either. I may eventually post the longer version of Superman here, but I don't think I saved it in it's entirety, so may have to work on it, if I can find time. It seems the entries were chosen strictly on the plot ideas, rather than on the writing style & quality of writing.
          Last edited by SVsleuth; 10-04-2006, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I guess I'll do a second chapter/epilogue to make this a proper Clana story.

Comment

I agree with SVsleuth.

I went back to look at the selected stories, and they all seemed to have traditional endings. Blech!

If they wanted that, they should have specified it in the contest! (and what was with the last story...it seemed to clearly exceed the word limit!)

**Edit**

Thanks Card! Looking forward to it!
              Last edited by happycamper; 10-05-2006, 12:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cardinal
                Yeah, I guess I'll do a second chapter/epilogue to make this a proper Clana story.

yay!

Comment

I agree ...... needs an epilogue

Closed my eyes when the love for *ois was mentioned. Shivered when he still wanted to be with Ch**e.

SMILED and CHEERED when Clark thought of LANA!!!!

Does that make my choice clear????

Comment

Shipless - Part 2

After getting settled in his new apartment, Clark visited each of his Metropolis-based lady friends to see how they were doing and to let them know he had completed his move. Lana promised to come by soon and help him decorate his new place. Proud to finally be a full-fledged reporter and no longer consigned to the basement, Chloe had agreed to meet up with him before the start of their first day so they could start their new careers together. Lois was still unable to get over the fact that ‘Smallville,’ as she still liked to call him, had moved to the big city and joined her newspaper.

Clark’s other identity also settled in. The new hero in red and blue was seen everywhere in Metropolis, from foiling bank robberies and stopping plane crashes, to getting cats down out of trees. Only Lana and Chloe knew who he was, and Clark had impressed upon them the necessity of them staying away from his alter ego. Anyone that was close to him personally couldn’t have anything to do with that story for the sake of their own safety. Both Lana and Chloe decided that they’d rather maintain their close friendship with Clark, so they left the hero story strictly alone. Lois, now completely unaware of Clark’s dual identity, threw herself into the story…and did it with a passion that surprised everyone who knew her. She was even responsible for naming the hero, calling him Superman after seeing the S-shield on his chest as he zoomed into the sky.

The only black spot in Clark’s existence was, unsurprisingly, Lex Luthor. Superman had already stopped one of Lex’s schemes, when he listened in on a supposedly secret and secure meeting in Lex’s LuthorCorp office. During that meeting, he had heard Lex vow to ‘destroy Superman and everything he stands for.’ You’ve been trying to destroy me for some time now, Lex, Superman thought blackly, and with Lana, you almost succeeded.

Stopping the many-headed monster that was LuthorCorp was like battling the mythological Hydra. Every time Superman cut off one of its heads, it seemed to grow three more as replacements. While Superman was battling Lex and the immense resources of LuthorCorp, Clark Kent had been fending off his own Hydra. Her name was Lana Lang.

Whenever they met, whether it was a happenstance meeting at a news story they were both covering or meeting with friends for a hurried lunch, Lana always took special pains to let Clark know she still loved him. It might be something as quick and simple as one of her big-eyed stares that would always hold him spellbound until she returned her attention to the job at hand, or it could be something more involved like her sitting next to him at lunch and occasionally squeezing his thigh under the table. When they couldn’t meet, Lana made sure he always had something to remind him of her, whether it be e-mails or voice mail messages. She was a constant presence in his life, and she intended to stay that way.

As for the other women in Clark’s life, he had learned early on that Lois was stuck on Superman and that, no matter what he did, he’d never be more than a distant second best. So, regretfully, he buried the feelings he had for her, surprised only by how easy it was to do.

Chloe, on the other hand, seemed to be truly happy in her placid relationship with Jimmy. Clark didn’t know what brought on this liking for stability and domesticity, but like with Lois, it was something he couldn’t fight. He had had more than enough chances to make something happen with Chloe, he hadn’t taken advantage of them, and she had moved on. Deep down in his heart, Clark had known for a long time that, romantically, Chloe was a battle he could not win. He hadn’t had to bury his feelings for her, they had blown away like ashes in the wind.

All that was left for him were his conflicted feelings about Lana. While he shied away from anything more than friendship with his one-time love, he had to admit that remnants of the old passion he had harbored for her were still there in his heart. Unbeknownst to him, those ‘remnants’ were actually banked coals ready to be fanned into an all-consuming flame if only they could be uncovered…and Lana was digging furiously in an attempt at finding them.’

Once Lana was sure Clark had given up on Chloe and Lois, she stepped up the pressure. One day, she arranged with the other girls for her to have a private lunch with Clark. They both supported Lana’s hopes, but since Clark wouldn’t tolerate their interference in his love life, they were limited to helping Lana in small ways like this. While the two of them ate, Lana skillfully directed their conversation to her abandonment issues, which she privately blamed for getting her linked up with Lex in the first place.

“Clark,” Lana said eventually, “everybody that knows me well knows I have abandonment issues and have had ever since my parents died. But I wonder how many of our friends know that you have something similar? You have a need to be in love.”

“Huh?” Clark was surprised. He wondered how he had been brought into the conversation.

“Ever think about how convenient it was for you that, as soon as you decided you could no longer love me because I was with Lex, you started to ‘love’ Chloe? And when she turned you away, you suddenly ‘loved’ Lois?” Clark wasn’t comfortable with this line of thought. “The thing is, I don’t believe you were ever in love with either of them.”

Putting down his fork, he replied, “Oh yeah? Then what was it that I felt? I know I was in love with Lois and I had strong feelings for Chloe, too.”

“I think,” Lana said, “that you are in love with me and always have been. When you didn’t want to love me anymore, you tried to redirect that love, first to Chloe and then to Lois.”

“That may be true with Chloe,” Clark allowed, “but not with Lois. I know I loved her.”

“Are you sure, Clark? Or were you in love with a version of me that didn’t push you about your secrets?”

Clark was stunned and he made no response. He didn’t lie to Lana anymore and he was afraid that any answer he gave her besides ‘I love you’ would be just another lie.

Satisfied with what she saw on his face, Lana stood to leave, and as Clark politely stood with her, she said, “I want you to think about that, Clark.”

Lana’s promised visit to come by and help decorate ‘soon,’ had become later, and then much later since their work schedules were highly incompatible. As the newest reporter for KMET, Lana worked odd hours, and with Lex’s schemes keeping him busier than a one-armed wallpaperer, Clark was essentially working two full-time jobs right now. But eventually, they managed to clear some time together. Since he lived in a somewhat rougher part of town, he wouldn’t hear of her making the trip on her own, and thus drove her over himself.

Once there, Lana went to work. Well, really, she just called out the name of a piece of furniture and pointed, and Clark did the work. After seeing a dozen different configurations of his furniture, Lana finally found one she really liked, but she made Clark move the furniture another half-dozen times just to get him irritated.

It was all part of her plan.

She knew Clark still loved her, but she thought she’d have to shake his legendary self-control before his feelings could sneak past his guard and out into the open once more…so, her plan was to pick a fight with Clark any way that she could. She knew it was a high-risk strategy, but she couldn’t find any other way.

“I would have done this for you weeks ago, Clark,” Lana said offhandedly, “but you could never seem to make the time for me. Why is that? Still chasing after Chloe, who has clearly moved on? Or hoping Lois will be satisfied with the ‘man behind the curtain’ instead of ‘the great and powerful Oz’ that she’s infatuated with now? Don‘t count on it. She’s got stars in her eyes.”

Clark was confused by Lana’s sudden change in demeanor, and was surprised that she would rub salt in his wounds by bringing up Lois and Chloe. One way or another, Lana had been pounding on the idea that she was the only woman he had ever truly loved, and it was getting to him.

“But me?” Lana continued, “I can’t get a second look from you. Well, that’s not exactly true…I can feel your eyes on me like a lover’s touch, but whenever I want to turn that into something concrete, you back away. You refuse to give me, to give us, a second chance. And yet, every time in the past that you hurt me, I was willing to give you a second chance…even when you wouldn’t tell me what really happened in the first place.”

Clark was flustered when she correctly pointed out how forgiving she had always been toward him, but he thought that Lana comparing her becoming emotionally involved with a monster like Lex to him running off to Metropolis, among other indiscretions, was like comparing worm-riddled apples to oranges. Still, he kept his thoughts hidden and his emotions tightly shackled.

He wasn’t, however, as successful as he thought. Lana saw something in his face, something that let her know she was getting to him, and she poured more gas on the fire.

“To top it all off, every day that you deny us, you waste the death of your father. You told me he died because you came back to save me, but now that you can have me…well, you know the rest.”

Clark was beside himself with surprise, and anger. He thought the mention of his father’s death was clearly a low blow. “Why are you doing this to me?!” he shouted.

“Because I love you, Clark!” came Lana’s impassioned reply.

Clark was confused once again. “I love you, too,” he said, his voice racked with pain, “but I’d never say anyth…” Oh dear God, what have I just done?

Lana’s face burst into a triumphant smile upon hearing the words, ‘I love you, too.’ She knew she had him. “Not only do I love you, Clark, but I’d do anything, say anything, to get you back. I’ll fight for you with everything I’ve got.”

“You’d fight for me?” he asked uncertainly.

“Yes, Clark. I’ll fight for you the same way you fight for the people of Metropolis.” Lana paused, knowing the next part was up to Clark.

Hesitantly, as if he was tasting the words before saying them, Clark finally said, “I…I…I do love you, you know.”

“I know, I’ve always known…and now that you’ve admitted it, we can get to work on the important stuff.”

After that breakthrough, the rest was just details. Lana and Clark spent the night talking and by morning, things between them were looking up. Lana never did get around to rearranging the small loft bedroom that night, but she figured she’d have plenty of time to spend there in the future, so why rush it?

The End
                    Last edited by Cardinal; 10-06-2006, 06:26 PM.

Comment

that was good!!! Go Lana... sneaky girl but she got what she wanted...

Good work Card...

Comment

that was great!

Comment

And the Clana is re-ignited! Yay! Good for you, Lana. You knew what he really wanted and were determined to give it to him.

Thanks for the Clana addition to this story, Card. Maybe you need to change the title to "No Longer Shipless" -
                          Last edited by SVsleuth; 10-06-2006, 03:59 PM.

Comment

That was great !

Comment

That was awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡