Errors: Glaring and Miniscule

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll agree with Lana's hand. I think it should have perhaps phased her a little more than needing a gauze bandage.

As for Zod, everything was proper. If he was to truly be considered Zod (as I think the writers wanted it to be) he should have every single power. I think it was even said during the episode..."He has all of the abilities of a true Kryptonian." Flying is on the basic checklist.

Comment

The biggest problem I have with the episode (and a common theme among Smallville) is the lack of consequences that anyone faces for terrible deeds.

Lex broke into the Pentagon, stole a computer, almost destroyed the entire world and there's not even a damn informal inquiry on the guy? Seriously, even if he was possessed by the spirit of an alien, I think he'd at least be taken into custody and asked a few questions. But nope, he nearly destroyed the world and an "I'm Sorry" is pretty much all it takes.

It's just so frustrating. So much potential. So many glimpses of greatness and they kill it because they don't care about the details.

Comment

Originally posted by seannyd
        The biggest problem I have with the episode (and a common theme among Smallville) is the lack of consequences that anyone faces for terrible deeds.

Lex broke into the Pentagon, stole a computer, almost destroyed the entire world and there's not even a damn informal inquiry on the guy? Seriously, even if he was possessed by the spirit of an alien, I think he'd at least be taken into custody and asked a few questions. But nope, he nearly destroyed the world and an "I'm Sorry" is pretty much all it takes.

It's just so frustrating. So much potential. So many glimpses of greatness and they kill it because they don't care about the details.
        I agree with you in large part regarding continuity, but some things just need to be accepted as part of the show. If there really were any footage of Lex commiting those crimes, where would the show take it? To be realistic, he'd be arrested, investigated, held for a while, tried (his plea that he'd been inhabited by an alien probably wouldn't hold up very well) and thus probably convicted, and then sent to prison. It's also unrealistic that Clark would be freed from the PZ with just enough time to save Martha and Lionel from getting crushed. Or that the first place he went when back in SV was the barn. These are just a few, but there are more, and to enjoy the show you need to suspend your disbelief. The most obvious instance of this in the Superman universe is that people don't recognize that Clark Kent = Superman. They'd know. Period. But, to enjoy the show, we ignore that detail. I think the inquiry into Lex is the same way.

Comment

If I remember correctly, Lexod, broke the dagger, isnt it Kryptonian steel?? he shouldnt be able to use it.

ANd the whole "it was Brainiacs serum" is the reason Zod had powers is lame, there are canon "cientific" explanations on why kryptoniand have powers in earth, and its the molecular density, also by acumulation of sun energy, the longer they remain exposed to the yellow sun the more powerfull they are, considering Zod being exposed to them one day, against 16 years of Clark I think Clark could have overpowerd him easily, or should have at least to what we know empowers kryptonians, the fact is the mistake was made the minute Zod didnt have a body of his own but inhabited Lex´s.

Comment

True...though you can break a knife, but daggers are usually thicker then knives, so the steel should've at least cut his hand when he broke it...unless Jor-el disappearing erased the daggers powers as well, or Fine neutralized it.

and the kryptonian powers you are right, with that logic unless if the person is kryptonian he can't do the same thing as a kryptonian, nor would his body be able to handle it.

oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal-ed
              If I remember correctly, Lexod, broke the dagger, isnt it Kryptonian steel?? he shouldnt be able to use it.

ANd the whole "it was Brainiacs serum" is the reason Zod had powers is lame, there are canon "cientific" explanations on why kryptoniand have powers in earth, and its the molecular density, also by acumulation of sun energy, the longer they remain exposed to the yellow sun the more powerfull they are, considering Zod being exposed to them one day, against 16 years of Clark I think Clark could have overpowerd him easily, or should have at least to what we know empowers kryptonians, the fact is the mistake was made the minute Zod didnt have a body of his own but inhabited Lex´s.
              You know, I agree with you in general, but (similar to an earlier post I made), there are exceptions. We've seen Kryptonian powers transfered to non-Kryptonians before. Twice now Eric Summers has leached Clark's powers, giving an earthling's body kryptonian powers, regardless of exposure to the sun or molecular density. We've seen Jonathan Kent use Kryptonian powers (these were even granted to him at night, when he had zero exposure to the sun).

And not just in Smallville. Lois and Clark had a couple episodes where Superman's powers were transfered. Once was due to a lightning strike (which the original Smallville transference imitated a bit) and once was due to a red kryptonite laser beam.

There are earlier examples of it also, especially in the comics, which should really be the 'highest' form of Superman canon.

Basically, I don't think it was an error. You can't just write off the serum as being 'lame.' Fine had an intricate plan, which involved making Lex's earth body susceptible to Kryptonian powers via the serum, then preparing him in the black ship. If that's not a good enough explanation, then neither is electricity passing through kryptonite or any of the other myriad causes of power-transference that have occured in Superman canon.

Comment

Well you have to consider which superman we are talking about, it wasn't always the sun that gave him powers, the sun was added cause it was kinda hard to explain that if all kryptonians were that strong and powerful that something like a sun exploding wouldn't kill them.

As well as they haven't introduced that his powers don't work under a red sun. What color was the sun in the phantom zone? If there even was one, cause that would explain the lack of powers and ability to bleed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mischael12
                  Well you have to consider which superman we are talking about, it wasn't always the sun that gave him powers, the sun was added cause it was kinda hard to explain that if all kryptonians were that strong and powerful that something like a sun exploding wouldn't kill them.

As well as they haven't introduced that his powers don't work under a red sun. What color was the sun in the phantom zone? If there even was one, cause that would explain the lack of powers and ability to bleed.
                  The Phantom Zone thing goes back to the comics also. Kryptonians don't have powers in the Phantom Zone.

Comment

I like Post crisis explanation of his powers, cause precrisis, it was sometimes vague and specialy in the Silver age, it got really off track, he was moving planets, and had this Goku ability to get as strong and powerfull as the ocation called for, he even had faceshifting abilities in some incarnations so I guess I like that now they solidified as to why superman has powers on earth, his density and the sun. And SV had handeled that canon characteristic, but then they forget about it. Its not the fact that I cant phantom a non Kryptonian body having powers, but what I dont like are the cop outs, writters sometimes use, Although MR is my favorite actor on the show, I would have prefered Zod to have his own body. And Zod having his own boddy would have saved them from the serum thing and I wouldnt be complaining right now, that in SV canon (not even comic) seems not possible...Wait a minute, what canon... SV doenst have canon... No, they do, anything goes.

Just some continuity thats not to much to ask for.
                    Last edited by Kal-ed; 10-04-2006, 09:20 PM.

Comment

What I don't understand is where Zod came from. I was under the impression that he was in the Phantom Zone - which he very well may have been...but if that is the case, why is it that he was the only one released from the zone when the portal was opened?

I'm not sure if it's an "error", because the issue may have been addressed, but I don't remember it being mentioned....can anyone help me out?

Comment

Originally posted by MandyVox
                        Another mistake...

In the end "Iguazú Falls - Patagonia - Argentina"

The mistake is, "Iguazu Falls" is not in Patagonia, that actually, is in the south of Argentina, it's a island. "Iguazu Falls" is a larger territory, between Brazil and Argentina, really far from Patagonia.
                        Oh my, Patagonia is NOT an island. It's part of the Argentinian territory, I should know that since that's where I live
                        And yes, big mistake there. And those didn't even look like the Iguazú Falls (been there).

Oh well...

Comment

No one should really be surprised about the powers thing.

Ironically in this respect Smallville is actually being true to it's own little continuity (although completely at odds with traditional Superman lore).

Ever since Leech Smallville has treated Clarks' powers as something that can be lost or transfered to others.

They even go as far as having Kryptonite not affect him when he is without his powers (Leech, Arrival, Mortal). At the end of Hidden remember the Doctor's report that Clark's tests all came back "Normal" suggesting that without them he's basically a human in the minds of the writers.

And don't forget that S3 Jor-El gave Jonathon temporary powers to get Clark back. It's not that hard to stretch out that with "preparing" as Braniac called it that a more permanent power could be attained.

I won't touch on how much this approach completely irk's me Just pointing out that it's absolutely logical with Smallville precedent.

Comment

I heard a couple of theories in various threads, also some not in KryptonSite, that the reason Clark and all the other ZOTWs landed in Earth when he opened the portal was something like the FoS (even though it wasn't powered up) was on Earth, and something along the lines of that's where Jor-El's spirit was, and since it was supposed to be only somebody from the house of El to use the gateway, that's why he was drawn to Earth, with Jor-El.
                            And to answer "Jor-el could've just pinpricked his hand when Raya decided she was going into the Phantom Zone. He builds this incredible prison, is the smartest person on Krypton, but can't give her an ounce of his blood so she could get out." I suppose TPTB will just give you a lame excuse 'it has to be fresh blood!'

Comment

Zod was Totally Flying!

I have a simple three step explanation for how Lexod has full Kryptonian powers - with full capabilities - and total failure/memory loss afterwords.

First - The infection preperation process.
                              Between the Braniac nanites or whatever Lex's body was improved so that it would be able to hold and handle the energy of the kryptonian's powers. The nanites do the bulk of the work but the the point is to enable the body to utilize the power. Similar most likely to a high speed version of what Jor-El did to make Kara.

Second - Very important.. the method of transfering Zod into Lex looked a whole heck of alot more like the way Jor-El put the power into Pa than it did any other power effect so far. I imagine the Braniac had effectivly full access to the FOS capabilities which includes (I imagine) a massice energy store for use in these situations.

Third - When the whole braniac sustem that were powering Lexod was deactivated and the Zod spirit was banished a large amount of Lex's newfound physiology (including memories) were destroyed along with it. Without the nanite assitance he can't power any abilities, and as we have seen with psychic possesion previous to this - you don't remember what happens when another soul has control of your body.

Lastly - Allison Mack is most certainly limping when she runs to Clark, and there is no doubt in my mind that if you were in Lana's position you woulda pulled that bad boy right out same as she did. I know I would.

Regarding other errors..

The hand‽ Do you realize exactly how bad a wound would have to be to have bled out through that much flippin gauze! Really? A pipe through the hand like that? I think she is going to need reconstructive surgery actually.

Kayla - I bet Jor-El had faith in her (founded since she was still alive) and that getting her and a few "others" out was going to be one of those things he had Clark do .. after he finished training because there is no way to communicate into the phantom zone.

The Sun? I think that the way Kara sat and soaked instead of eating is a pretty good indicator that they are going the solar energy stored and converted into force fields method. The force fields are the super power theory helps with the way Clark has been able to totally nullify certain inertial realities in the past.

And another thing about Kara (and the power mechanism in general( is that Kryptonians can vaporize things because they can emit energy of many forms from any location on/around their bodies. All she did was push out enough energy through the hands to vaporize the car in a second - the only question I have about that is why didn't Zod vaporize anything?

Comment

One thing that I noticed was Aaron Ashmore messing up his lines during one of the scenes. I guess that scene didn't make it through edits.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎