Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mikemike
    it probably didnt help that the smallville ad had clark looking like a moron.
    You mean the CW "Free to be Super" ad?

Originally posted by JLA
    The Thursday night competition is an absolute killer. With the strong premiere of Ugly Betty, each network has strong shows in the 8:00/9:00 slot. Given the increased competition, I wouldn't be surprised to see Smallville moved to a different night this season.
    The competition is killer... but I think that "SV" will perform much better on Thursday night than any other CW show. The only reason I could see for them to move "SV" to a different night would be if they expected to make a significant impact on the ratings for that night. I can't think of any night in the week where "SV" would be able to do that. This season there are a lot of good shows on & most networks have at least a couple of buzz-worthy new shows. There really isn't any night on TV where the CW is not going to get trounced by the major networks.
    Last edited by eas; 09-29-2006, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vyperman7
      According to Mediaweek :

Also at 8 p.m. was the season-premiere of the CW’s Smallville (Overnights: #4, 3.8/ 6; Viewers: #5, 5.04 million; A18-49: #5, 2.2/ 6),

Looks like I was right.

All I have to say is OUCH. That is pretty damn low for a premiere. All the premieres have always done over 6 million easy. It is a shame too because Zod was actually deserving of much higher ratings.
      That's what you get when they continued to show that lexana sex promo over and over and over again.

Comment

I doubt the CW would move Smallville. The ratings for Smallville are on par with the network's other big shows like GG, 7th Heaven, and top Model. There's no where to put smallville other than thurday at 8 because it is a solid anchor for Supernatural. I think the rating decrease has more to so with people either not getting the CW or not being able to find it. This year is about "educating" viewers to find the CW.

And yea, the billboard ads looked pretty dumb. Nothing flashy.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiLLyFAn087
          I doubt the CW would move Smallville. The ratings for Smallville are on par with the network's other big shows like GG, 7th Heaven, and top Model. There's no where to put smallville other than thurday at 8 because it is a solid anchor for Supernatural. I think the rating decrease has more to so with people either not getting the CW or not being able to find it. This year is about "educating" viewers to find the CW.

And yea, the billboard ads looked pretty dumb. Nothing flashy.
          I think that we still need to take into consideration the second half of last season after Reckoning. This show has been in a ratings decline ever since then. It's not a shocker to me that the ratings were this bad. Had Smallville finished up with high ratings like the first half of season 5 had, I would be shocked at the ratings for "Zod".

Comment

The second half of season 4 also went on a ratings decline similar to 5, if not worse, but the show bounced back in the premeire. Season 4's finale was stronger so that could have a little to do with it.

Comment

10/5 - My 3rd favorite premiere.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiLLyFAn087
                Smallville's ratings were kinda blah, not amazing, but not terrible. Once the official numbers are out, the Season Six premiere will probably be around 5.3 - 5.4 million. Ugly Betty, Earl and Suvriror are going to major factors, but I agree there is no where else to put Smallville, but on Thursday.

I orginally thought the CW biggest problem might be the whole new network thing, but now I'm thinking it's competition from the other networks. GG and 7th under performed, but Top Model out performed their previous records, but we have wait and see how LOST affects Top Model. When Smallville went against LOST during Season four, they got killed in the ratings.
                Last edited by Damali; 09-29-2006, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I really expected for the The CW to perform better. So far the only show that had an improvement in ratings is America's Next Top Model. I guess, like some people mentioned, that this season is more about educating people to find the network and to get use too it.

However, the fact is that The CW had a huge promotional campaing for America'a Next Top Model, they has really taken some shows for granted expecting people to show up. Hopefully as people discover, find and get used to The CW in the coming months the ratings for most of their shows should improve, including Smallville.

Comment

Some people don't even get the CW yet or know where to find it.

These ratings are fine.

Comment

Several people in my area could not find the station as it moved from the WB channel to the UPN channel.

Comment

Did you ever think to consider maybe the new CW channel does not have the ability to reach as many people as the WB did. And thats why all the popular shows from the WB like Smallville, Supernatural and Gilmore Girls does not have so much viewers like they used to get before the merg. And American Top model is up in ratings because it was on the UPN who we all know had fewer viewers then the WB

I think there in lies the problem the CW has not so many stations yet like the WB did have in its time. And it has more then UPN did that is why only UPN's shows is up.

Comment

Number of stations did strike me as a possibility. Is there a count on the number of WB stations vs. the number of CW stations? If it's different by 20% or so, that would have made a big difference.

Comment

How about the areas that only had UPN that now get the CW. How do we know that there are more people out there this season that don't have the CW yet?

Comment

Season 4 Crusade did 6.1 m., season 5 Arrival did 5.9million. Two weeks ago I said that anything below 5.5 would be a sign that Lexod and Lexana were losing viewers.
                              Starting a new network should not greatly affect an old show like Smallville UNLESS their are less markets. I think last season pissed off a great number of fans and it will take more than this episode to bring them back. At least they didn't protray Lana as the helpless victim, again.
                              Vessel had a million less viewers than did Commencement. Season 4 grew away from the ratings killer we call "witches and stones" and went back to a season two approach of FOTW and bumbling Clana.
                              Now we have stumbling Lexana. I would not be surprised to see the number next week be down yet again as it is another kidnap and torture show. Ho Hum.

Originally posted by canon
                              What was the number (viewers) for Vessel?
                              Oracle was 4.84 and Vessel was 4.5, not too good for a two part finale.
                              Season avg for season 4 was 5.0, for season 5 was 5.35. Season 5 lost 1.2 million from the first 8 episodes compared to the final 8 episodes. Zod would have needed a Super miracle to have done 6 million.
                              Just my opinion but alot of people spoke badly of all the Clana and angst, but at least those fans kept the numbers up. I hope it doesn't cost us next season.
                              Last edited by Fly by guy; 09-29-2006, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Vessel was watched by 4.58 million. "Zod" had 5.04 million viewers. 500K more viewers tuned in after Vessel. CW is not aired in Hawaii and some other states, I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎