View Poll Results: Has Smallville destroyed the Superman mythos?

Voters
446. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!! It has totally destroyed the mythos!

84 18.83%
  • Smallville hasn't affected the mythos

155 34.75%
  • Smallville changed the mythos, but I like it better this way.

156 34.98%
  • What's a "mythos"? I just watch the show.

51 11.43%
Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast
    Forum Regular

Has Smallville destroyed the Superman Mythos?

Has Smallville destroyed the Superman mythos? Why or Why not?

I've noticed a lot of discussion about this in other unrelated threads and have often wanted to respond, but it wasn't the place for that discussion. I couldn't find any other threads totally devoted to this topic, so I started this one. Feel free to vent/argue/discuss/expound/whatever, and let's leave the other threads open to their respective topics.
    Last edited by CeeJ; 06-30-2006 at 08:58 AM.

No. It's simply a retelling of the story. Think of the "Ultimate" line of Marvel comics(Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate X-men). Those, like Smallville, are just retellings of the same story for a more modern audience.

Forum Whiz
    I think it's changed some of the basic parts of the mythos, but with a character this big and for mythos this old, it's going to happen.

Overall, I like the changes, but there are some things I wish they hadn't done.

Forum Regular
    I really do have an opinion on this, but it's very long and I have neither the time nor the energy to post it right now, so I will try to have it up sometime this weekend. :-)

Forum Regular
    Yeah, they just try to retell it for a more modern audience, its better the way they do it, it would be pretty boring and to predictable if they followed all the myths, it would be like starwars episode 3, you knew what was going to happen so it wouldnt be very good.

Forum Regular
    Actually, Star WarsIII wasn't bad because you knew what was going to happen, but because the writing, acting, directing, special effects, and anything else that's involved, STANK!!! It could have been very good if it had been handled properly and as an avid Star Wars fan I was extremely disappointed in those three movies. (Personally, I think Lucas has lost his touch.) But anyway, that's a totally different topic. :-)

Meanwhile back in Smallville...

Forum Regular
    Episod 3 was good, dont get me wrong Cee J, But in my opinion, it wasnt the huge tragedy i thouught it was going to be, it needed to be more darker, and smallville does a good job of keeping people geussing because they dont follow original myths. that is its successs

I don't think it has really changed anything major, except for Lois being introduced so early in Clark's life. Everything else in the storyline (usually) is plausible to have happened early in Superman's life. I'm not counting stupid things like the vampire episode.

1000 More To Go!! Welling_is_pretty's Avatar
    Originally posted by rpglord
    No. It's simply a retelling of the story. Think of the "Ultimate" line of Marvel comics(Ultimate Spiderman, Ultimate X-men). Those, like Smallville, are just retellings of the same story for a more modern audience.
    exactly! I've always thought of Smallville as the 'ultimate' version of Superman. Now all we need is Bendis to come in and kill everyone off!

Originally posted by Welling_is_pretty
    exactly! I've always thought of Smallville as the 'ultimate' version of Superman. Now all we need is Bendis to come in and kill everyone off!
    Except that he is not Superman, and sometimes I wonder if this loverboy is ever gonna be Superman the way he's acting.

Stronger moral values for Clark, that's what the show is missing ... hm ... and extra 200 IQ wouldn't hurt.

Originally posted by FreakyDroid
    Except that he is not Superman, and sometimes I wonder if this loverboy is ever gonna be Superman the way he's acting.

Stronger moral values for Clark, that's what the show is missing ... hm ... and extra 200 IQ wouldn't hurt.
    There's nothing but a big hole in Clark's head on smallville. Of course, you'd never be able to see it without a nice chunk of kryptonite in your hand so that you can open his head up. I just hope that he gets out of the phantom zone a changed man. No more of this, "I'm not going to the fortress of solitude because I want to sit at home and throw a football through a tire." Get your a$$ to the fortress and develop a relationship with Jor-El.

Originally posted by FreakyDroid
    hm ... and extra 200 IQ wouldn't hurt.

I had thought that same thing! LOL

Originally posted by myankskent
    There's nothing but a big hole in Clark's head on smallville. Of course, you'd never be able to see it without a nice chunk of kryptonite in your hand so that you can open his head up. I just hope that he gets out of the phantom zone a changed man. No more of this, "I'm not going to the fortress of solitude because I want to sit at home and throw a football through a tire." Get your a$$ to the fortress and develop a relationship with Jor-El.
    You're killing me

Originally posted by rpglord
    Good Point!
    From the watcher

After Clark gets out of the phantom zone, there are two possible things that could happen. If you share Al/Miles thoughts...this is what would happen....

Jor-El gets Clark out of phantom zone.
    Clark: Oh awesome, thanks Jor-El. Any chance you could take my powers away again so that I can have sex with more girls and pay no attention to you?

If you share my thoughts...

Jor-El gets Clark out of the phantom zone.

Clark: Jor-El, thank you so much. I know that I don't deserve this. It will be different this time. I want to learn. Tell me more about planet krypton and what happened to it.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast