Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Season 2 in Review (aka; what did you think about Season 2?)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season 2 in Review (aka; what did you think about Season 2?)

Feel free to add your own review of Veronica Mars : Season 2.

=====================

The Good:

* The Season's Secondary Mystery wasn't formulaic, and was solved on an episode-basis and not the typical, last-minute revelation style of the primary mystery.

* They had the balls to dip into one of last years main mystery's, and have the outcome changed.

* The Relationship between Duncan and Veronica got better as the episodes past. Deeper emotion and conflict on the way to Duncan's departure.

The Great:

* Rob Thomas had the foresight to avoid a "Dawson's Creek-esk" love-triangle featuring two former best-friends and the girl.

* The "dream-sequences" Veronica had seperated what she let on as what she wanted, and what she really wanted.

* They weren't afraid to give their bad-ass star character an STD, something that most shows and networks would oppose to whole-heartedly.

* The Tight-Plotting. Some people might think Season 1's mystery was better, because this mystery was more predictable -- though, we weren't given any evidence to implicate the season 1 villian until the last episode, where this season had tightly-plotted arcs that were revealed over the 22 episodes.

The So-So:

* The rushed Logan/Hannah relationship. Clearly originally designed to be a few episodes longer then it lasted, the relationship went through a lot in just a few episodes.

* The weak B-Plot heavy episodes. B-Plots are well and good when you need something to occupy the space between character development and primary story arcs, but don't base an entire episode around a B-plot without any development or arc follow-up. And I'm sorry, but a cliff-hanger arc-twist doesn't cut it anymore.

* Lack of face-time for people who aren't Logan, Veronica or Keith. Throughout the show, only three characters got any relevant individual face time; Keith, Veronica and Logan. Wallace's brief arc featuring his father, and the Mac/Beaver angle's were always kept under 3 minutes.

The Verdict:

As a whole, not quite as solid as the first season -- though, the bigger episodes were better done.

90/100.

I started watching in the middle of the seaon and likd what i saw.

Comment

Damn good season I would give 90/100. Season 1 was slightly better but season 2 still rocked.

Comment

Ooh, here we go. Gonna be a long one!

The main problem, to me, about season two was that in no way could it live up to season one. I'm not exaggerating when season one was almost a perfect season, with the Lilly murder in every episodes, always pushing along, throwing in new twists, suspects, clues, while also haivng a mystery of the week, added with great personal/character dynamics. It was so well-handeled, that, IMO, everything else will pale in comparison.

Lilly was Veronica's bestfriend and her murder was the premise of the entire series: the murder molded Veronica into who she is and was her main motivation. Lilly and her death held everyone together. Weevil, Duncan, Logan, Keith, the Kanes, the Mars, etc. all were connected with her in some way. Her relationships with people were the effects of Lilly's murder and the investigation. It seemed as if everyone was so emotionally invested in Lilly that it was one of the main premises. And when you replace that premise with another, there's no way it can hold up.

Which leads me to the bus crash. I thought it was great how they found a way to make the murders so radically different to Lilly's and make a new dynamic. But that was part of the problem: the change wasn't for the better. The people on the bus were a bunch of people we didn't know, except for Meg, who miraciously survived with her coma baby (which I'll get to later.) The attempt to make us care for these characters wasn't there ("I Am God" was one episode) and thus, I didn't care. While I wanted Veronica to solve the mystery and wanted to find out who did it.. it was curiosity. With Lilly's murder, I was curious on a personal and normal-TV-watching level. I felt I knew Lilly. I liked her character, disliked some of her actions, but ultimately was emotionally invested in her. I wasn't with anyone on the bus crash, so it was just some distant case.

Another problem was the way it was handeled. The pacing was so different than last season's. Unlike the Lilly Kane case, which always tied in with something and was brought in naturally, the bus crash either dominated an episode or was forgotten. There was no balance, it seemed. There were so many juggling plots, from the bus crash, Felix's murder, Duncan/Veronica/Meg, Kendall, Woody Goodman, the Fitzpatricks.. unlike last year, which was all different puzzle pieces going into one enormous puzzle, this year, there were about five different puzzles and it became difficult to realize which pieces went where. (okay, done with the analogy) It wasn't, IMO, as tightly plotted nor as interesting. Again, I didn't care about Felix, so the case wasn't as good.

Another hampering thing was the relationships. I was really uncomfortable with Veronica jumping from Logan to Duncan in one episode (and that's not because I ship them and despise VD, pardon the pun.) It felt too quick and sort of.. well, I don't know. I didn't like the strong, indepent heroine boyfriend skipping. Unlike last year, where she made out with Leo and Logan in one episode, then went from one to another, it made sense and didn't make her seem desperate. She wasn't sure why she was attracted to Logan, didn't want to be, was confused. However, she went from being there for Logan in the summer constantly, being the only thing there for him.. then, with what seemed like no reservations, went to Duncan and became so dependent and shmoopy on him that it didn't seem like the tough Veronica that I fell in love with. And Duncan and Veronica were, to me, enough to put me to sleep. Duncan was such a boring and bland character (I mean, just sat there, except when his epilepsy kicked in, which kind of disappeared this season) that I didn't see how Veronica stuck with him.

I'll just mention the horrible Meg/coma-baby plot. It. Was. Bad. I know it was UPN's idea to let Meg survive (curse you!) but did they have to give her a kid? I mean puhlease! We are not on Days of Our Lives, nor do we live in Dawson's Creek. It was unrealistic that no one asked her about the bus crash, especially Veronica, and her death seemed so unnecessary and random.

Another sloppy and obvious plot was the Jackie one. A teenage black girl having a child is rather cliche. I do like what they did with the character and am sad that she's gone.

Which leads me to too many new characters. I know that the show has to change and evolve. But these characters ushered in a new show. It seemed so alien to me that the show was suddenly focused on these people I could care less about opposed to the people I grew to know and love and hate (I miss my Celeste ).

And then there was Cassidy. When it turned out he was behind the big bus crash, it wasn't that big of a surprise. I didn't think it was him, because the clues were too obvious and everyone suspected him.. but he was. And Beaven was behind EVERYTHING. The bus crash, voting against corporation, killing Curly, everything! And then he turns into the mustache twirling "Muahaha" villain, which sat okay with me. It seemed in character, that he should want to get the spotlight for so long and now that he has it, he's milking it. But other people didn't buy it, and that's what bothered me: usually VM is so good with characterization, people rarely debate character's motivations, but everyone had different opinions about Beaver, it just rubbed me the wrong way.

So, good season? Yes. I really enjoyed it, although it doesn't sound like it from my review. It just didn't match up to season one, which I hope season three can accomplish.

Comment

Okay.. so Ihave just rewatched Seson One and Season two respectively. And I have to say on second viewing I really, really liked S2.. you really have to watch it togerther as a whole to appreciate it.

WHen I watched the season when it aired.. it was too spread out and felt heavy. But in reality I think S2 was just as good, perhaps even better than S1. I loved the Lily kane story and i know that is what defined Veronica and the show as what it is. But I don't think S1 started getting really good until about midseason with "An Echolls family Christmas".

I think if I had not read the spoilers and speculation I would have been much more surprised at the S2 ending. That is why Iam vowing to not read anything else pertaining to S3.. nope nothing ...

At first I didn't buy the whole Beaver being all psycho, but I have to say there are many clues and subtle hints dropped throughout the season. It makes much more sense to me. there were alot of plot twists, red herrings,etc. so I can see why people might have thought it confusing, but second time around it is great.

Iagree with what Aqua is saying about Beaver. Iwas upset that Beaver was the bad guy, because Iliked him alot .. I still do, even evil I don't care. I was really sad to see him jump and I still am... but I didn't get it at first. Why would Beaver go to all this trouble just to get rid of two guys?? I see that Cassidy was a genius and had flipped his lid. I can't blame the guy being around two Dicks all day.

In conclusion, I think that those who said S2 didn't measure up or wasn't enjoyable should really reconsider it and watch it over again. from start to end it's classic.. even the DuVe parts

Comment

My biggest beef with s2 (and I know I'm being nitpicky here) is the discontinuity of the bus crash details.

In Driver Ed (2x02) Veronica is busy investigating what Ed Doyle got/did at the convenience store, and deduced that he'd made a phone call between 4:15 and 4:30 p.m. - about 15 minutes before the crash. But later in the season Keith's got his boxers in a twist because he's got to find an alibi for Terrence Cook which puts him away from any phones at 7:03 p.m. - the alleged time of the crash.
            With the other storylines being so well crafted, this seems like a major gaffe to me.

(And why has Backup been such an infrequent feature? He ought to have been caught in a shot every time Keith and Veronica were at home. -I'm assuming that the multiple Backups has already been covered.)

Comment

I loved this season.

I thought even though the whole thing didn't hang together quite as well as it probably should, it was miles better and more advanced a story than lillies murder in the previous season.

Though I didn't realise how great this year was until I thought about Not Pictured and its events. Having Beaver be the psychotic abused guy was a stroke of genius, I was sad he turned out so uhappy and well insane. But I think it gave the whole season a new kind of darkness and manipulation.
              Also the rape revelation was surprising, but Beavers motives become obvious once one thinks about how he has been treated in the present and previously. Although this story takes some thinking it's very very good and interesting, sad and unnerving all at once. Now that's the sign of a great season!

Comment

i loved the LoVe sceens i miss thm!wahhhahhahahahaah im cryin if u cant tell

Comment

Working...
                X
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎