Collapse
No announcement yet.

R.I.P. Jonathan Kent - All Discussion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course it does. He could have gradually come to grips with Clark's purpose in life. I mean, they should have read Birthright, for goodness sake!

Comment

Jonathan Kent's Death - All Discussion

When Jonathan Kent died, I thought he died fighting a truly bad person (Lionel). I thought there was a good reason for Jonathan’s death….. But since Lionel turned into a good guy a few episodes later, looking back it makes Jonathan’s death pointless. It makes you say “What was he fighting for? Was it really worth dying for?”

It seems to me like bad consistency from the writers. No?

Comment

I totally agree. Jonathan died for nothing.

Clark's behavior in the whole Clexana mess of S6 makes it even more painful, IMO. He has not learned anything from 'Reckoning', it seems.
        Bad, bad writing indeed.

Comment

I'd say he ultimately died from the physical strain that was put on his body since Exile (when he temporarily gained powers). Although the events in Reckoning certainly played a role in the timing of his death, as the universe would have to find a balance after Clark went back to save Lana, his death was really just around the corner anyway. I still maintain that the choice to kill off Jonathan then was the right one.

Comment

Originally posted by hassenmorad
            I'd say he ultimately died from the physical strain that was put on his body since Exile (when he temporarily gained powers). Although the events in Reckoning certainly played a role in the timing of his death, as the universe would have to find a balance after Clark went back to save Lana, his death was really just around the corner anyway. I still maintain that the choice to kill off Jonathan then was the right one.
            Bingo, his death served a purpose and it wasn't like he was needing in clark growing up anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny_Luck
              Bingo, his death served a purpose and it wasn't like he was needing in clark growing up anyways.
              Has Clark grown up any since Jonathan's death? It seems to me he hasn't. It's still Lana, Lana, Lana and let trouble come to me so I can deal with it.

Comment

Jonathan's death served no purpose. Nothing has changed for the better because of his death! Al and Miles thought they would do something huge for the 100th episode, so they thought, "Hey let's kill off one of our most beloved characters!"

Comment

But if Johnathon didn't die, then would everything go the same way?

Nothing could be the same without a tragic thing like this, it's 'fate'.

Comment

Thew show is essentially the same that it was before he died. The only difference is that his absence has made it worse.

He was the backbone of the show and killing him off was a horrible descision that 99% of the fans have been against.

Comment

I believe that Jonathan Kent died trying to protect Clark's secret from Lionel. He has always hated Lionel because of what he has done to the people of Smallville. While the powers that Jor-El gave to Jonathan had a adverse effect on Jonathan's body, I still say that it was more stress that caused the heartattack rather than the powers that was granted to him, albeit temporarily.

Originally posted by Kal-El Son of Krypton
                      Thew show is essentially the same that it was before he died. The only difference is that his absence has made it worse.

He was the backbone of the show and killing him off was a horrible descision that 99% of the fans have been against.
                      Remember the first Superman movie. Jonathan dies of a heartattack in that movie as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lana_Lover_22
                        Remember the first Superman movie. Jonathan dies of a heartattack in that movie as well.
                        And? In the new continuity, his dad is alive.

Plus even if killing him off was an apsolutly vital part to the story (which it isnt) they should have waited until the last season, so the shpow wont suck without his absence for 3 years.

Comment

I think it was really sad that Jonathan died. Watching the scene where he died+ his funeral made me cry, and I don't think any other episode did.

It was kind of Clark's fault, because he only thought of rescuing Lana, and didn't ask any questions, nor realised the consequenses of that. I miss Jonathan, I think it's quite empty without him.

R.I.P. Jonathan Kent

Comment

Jonathan's death

I've been thinking about this recently. Did Jonathan's death really mean anything in the long run and was it worth it?

He attacked Lionel because LL was trying to blackmail him in regards to Clark's identity. This caused Jonathan to suffer a fatal heart attack. But we later learn that Lionel has long been working as an emissary for Jor-El. Even during this time. So, was his sacrifice in vain because in the long run, he wasn't protecting Clark from anything?

Also puzzling is Martha and Clark's lack of angry that Lionel's confrontation with Jonathan caused the heart attack.

Jonathan's death always happened early in Superman's life and was a catalyst for him to embrace his destiny. Not so with Clark. It just caused him to sulk more and years after his death, Clark is pretty much in the same place he's always been.

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Pipes
                              I've been thinking about this recently. Did Jonathan's death really mean anything in the long run and was it worth it?

He attacked Lionel because LL was trying to blackmail him in regards to Clark's identity. This caused Jonathan to suffer a fatal heart attack. But we later learn that Lionel has long been working as an emissary for Jor-El. Even during this time. So, was his sacrifice in vain because in the long run, he wasn't protecting Clark from anything?

Also puzzling is Martha and Clark's lack of angry that Lionel's confrontation with Jonathan caused the heart attack.

Jonathan's death always happened early in Superman's life and was a catalyst for him to embrace his destiny. Not so with Clark. It just caused him to sulk more and years after his death, Clark is pretty much in the same place he's always been.
                              First of all, Clark and Martha didn't know that Lionel visited Jonathan that night until Clark found out in late Season Five. Clark got angry and threw Lionel around a bit, shouting "you beat every last breath out of him, didn't you?" or something like that. I'm not sure when Clark told Martha offscreen - probably did - she didn't get angry, I guess she was too upset.

Jonathan sacrificed himself because he thought that he needed to. Of course, he was wrong, but as Chloe said in Season Seven, "every man who has died for you added something to the man you are today!" and thus, he did. Maybe not in an obvious way, but maybe subconsciously and spiritually.

Comment

Jonathan didn't sacrifice himself for nothing.
                                If he had never gone to Jor-El and asked him to give him powers to bring his son back, he would've never died.
                                His death had nothing to do with Lionel or protecting Clark from Lionel.
                                It was brought on by the fact that he was willing to do anything for Clark. (Exodus)

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎