Collapse
No announcement yet.

UK Veiws

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey love-sv! It's not such a far-fetched dream, is it? Anything's possible on this show!
    You are certainly right Krypto500; as, to my delight, I have found out beautiful news about a certain 'ship in the season finale, which has made my day!( I'm a sucker for spoilers!!)

Comment

Hey love_sv!

I share your delight at the spoiler you mention

PM me if you want to discuss it!

I also think that whoever posted the reply describing Lana as 'the reptilian She-Beast' deserves a prize

Sorry guys, hope I haven't given too much away with that ... it's just, darn it - THE REPTILIAN SHE-BEAST!

Must remember that one ...

Comment

I thought this episode was really good.I LOVED that Lois was back,she's the best T.V. character ever! i thought the actress that played Maddie was good as well.Tom's Directing was real good. basicly everything was good I liked what Martha said about Clark and Maddie,so sweet

Comment

Originally posted by Krypto500

So I agree with you that it's difficult to see how there could be a reconciliation between Clark and Jor-El anytime soon. That said, you have to figure that the show's writing team KNOWS that, and that they have a story that will bring the characters together.
          Hi Krypto. I'm with you on the idea that some kind of reconciliation will be near the ultimate end of the show. It's something that I'm greatly looking forward to. Ever since Terence Stamp uttered the words "It is time Kal-el" towards the end of S2, I've always enjoyed the storylines that involve Jor-el. Even more so for the fact that his intentions are so ambiguous (and of course in complete contrast to Marlon Brando's version). In fact, having watched the trailer for Superman Returns, it's quite emotional hearing Jor-el talk about giving his son as a gift to the people of Earth.
          I'm not inclined to agree with you on Jor-el's current position though. I think he's changed from the kind of Great I Am character that we "saw" in Season 2 and 3, and after the events of Crusade now seems somewhat resigned to the fact that he can't control his son. In letting Clark save Chloe and return to Smallville in Arrival, rather than complete his initial training he effectively gave Clark a choice. This theme of letting Clark make big decisions (even if they carry heavy penalties) suggests to me an easing off of the oppressive role Jor-el used to play. Perhaps the most crucial sign of this change was when Jor-el, speaking through Lionel, told Clark to know that he is loved. You may totally disagree with this but it would be good to know what you and others think.

As for yours and love_sv's mention of certain spoilers - have you read the AOL blog link that psycosis posted? There's an indication on there as to why Fine needs the toxic blood samples. From there it's easy to make the connection to the finale's title. Although I haven't read the thread that you two are referring to, just the image of Clark, Lex and the Kryptonian writing on the homepage has got me expecting big things for the last episode!

Comment

I agree with your position on Jor-el, Lex Dance - sure he may have been heavy handed in the past (though I’ve always thought that was his way to help Clark make the right decisions) but as this season comes to a close I get the feeling we will find out more on Jor-el's true intentions.

As you say though, they will probably keep that story running right the way through to the end - in previous incarnations of Superman Clark never even knew about Jor-el at this point in his life, so there's still plenty of time for them both to come to some kind of understanding.

The AOL blog is very intriguing isn't it!
            That image on the homepage totally spoils what this season’s cliff-hanger will be - though how it happens will be interesting to find out.

Comment

Hello again my fellow UK Dwellers!

psycosis - you spelt 'veiws' incorrectly! - unless this is part of the new game as we ran out of synonyms for opinions so now we mispell the words - hey, that's not a bad idea - the Mercy thread shall be 'UK Oponions'!

....and I'll get me coat!

Sorry, bit hyper today - 2 out of 4 exams finished and just 2 more to go as well as FA Cup Final to look forward to!

About the episode - I thought it was a nice episode - sweet really going back to farm life for Clark however I do feel it wasn't the best timed. We are not looking for fillers at this point in the season. We want to know what the hell is going on with Lionel and Martha etc! Still, just 4 eps left! Can't wait!

I thought Tom did a good job of the directing and it was a nice warm reference to Jonathan towards the end of the episode. It was just a really nice episode - nothing much we can say beyond this though. I await Mercy with baited breath.

Comment

Originally posted by smids
                Hello again my fellow UK Dwellers!

psycosis - you spelt 'veiws' incorrectly! - unless this is part of the new game as we ran out of synonyms for opinions so now we mispell the words - hey, that's not a bad idea - the Mercy thread shall be 'UK Oponions'!
                Bah!!! you spoiled my cunninly evil plan to misspell words in order to corropt the very fabric of space/time......

......and i would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you!!!

you win the "how did i ever mis spell THAT!" prize, for fiding my on-puprpose-honest spelling mistake!!!

Nice to have you back on board - don't be a stranger.
                Last edited by psycosis; 05-13-2006, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lex Dance
                  ... an easing off of the oppressive role Jor-el used to play. Perhaps the most crucial sign of this change was when Jor-el, speaking through Lionel, told Clark to know that he is loved.
                  Originally posted by psycosis
                  ... sure he may have been heavy handed in the past (though I’ve always thought that was his way to help Clark make the right decisions) ...
                  Whoa!

Ok, you guys are both looking at this from the same angle!

Tell you what, I'll continue to be the Lana apologist, you two can be the Jor-El apologists

I understand what you're saying, and I respect that point of view. But I've always found it hard to support because in my view Jor-El's actions since the end of S2 are unforgivable.

UNFORGIVABLE, I SAY!

1) Threatening harm to Clark's family and friends if he doesn't leave town. 2) Torturing Clark with the reverse 'S' on his chest for disobeying Jor-El. 3) Keeping an innocent girl's corpse 'on ice' and using it to deceive and lure Clark into becoming Kal-El. 4) Threatening to kill Jonathan if Clark doesn't obey Jor-El. 5) Removing Clark's powers because he was unwilling to abandon his family and friends when they needed him in order to return to the FoS; and in turn partly allowing his son to be 'killed' ... and in turn partly responsible in getting JONATHAN killed!

Well alright, the last point is tenuous - but you know what I mean!

Maybe I'm just holding a grudge against him for that stuff, but I honestly don't care if Jor-El did all of that 'for the greater good'. In this instance, the ends do NOT justify the means. I don't care if Clark needed to go through this in order to grow - or even in order to become Superman.

It doesn't matter if Jor-El is now letting his son do whatever he wants. I take where you're coming from, Lex Dance and psycosis, but I just don't agree that a season of non-violent and non-threatening behaviour from him adds up to 'a strict father using tough love'.

And you know what? I think Clark agrees with that! When Maddie asks him whether HIS father is as bad as hers, his reply is "Maybe even worse."

Not a fan of the tough love!

Comment

Originally posted by Krypto500
                    1) Threatening harm to Clark's family and friends if he doesn't leave town. 2) Torturing Clark with the reverse 'S' on his chest for disobeying Jor-El. 3) Keeping an innocent girl's corpse 'on ice' and using it to deceive and lure Clark into becoming Kal-El. 4) Threatening to kill Jonathan if Clark doesn't obey Jor-El. 5) Removing Clark's powers because he was unwilling to abandon his family and friends when they needed him in order to return to the FoS; and in turn partly allowing his son to be 'killed' ... and in turn partly responsible in getting JONATHAN killed!
                    Well there is a theory out there that suggests maybe not all those things were the doing of Jor-el - though I’m not 100% about that theory it would help to explain why he was just as bad if not as "evil" as he seems - perhaps Clark HAD to go through certain tests or trails to see how he would react and to help him move towards his destiny, ether way we probably won't find out anytime soon.

But Jor-el ultimately HAS to be good - he is Clark's father (I won't say dad, that role was Jonathan's), he saved his son from a dieing planet, sent him to a life supporting planet onto the hands of people he knew would love and accept him - AND he has created the FOS as a way to help teach Clark about his Kryptoian heritage, his powers, and why he is on Earth - something Clark has been avoiding so far.

Most of the bad things that have happened, have been because of Clark's actions, Jor-el simply warned him that every time he uses his powers without understanding them completely he will have to face whatever the consequences - Jor-el is simply trying to help Clark understand that his destiny is greater than saving Lana or whoever every so often!

P.S. Reverse “S”???
                    It was an 8 and it is the El family crest.

Comment

Hi psycosis!

Originally posted by psycosis
                      Well there is a theory out there that suggests maybe not all those things were the doing of Jor-el
                      Are we talking about the "it's-not-really-Jor-El's-voice" theory? Yeah, I've read that one too. I agree that it would be a nice way to explain why this incarnation of Jor-El has been so antagonistic, but methinks that's reaching too far for an explanation.

... perhaps Clark HAD to go through certain tests or trails to see how he would react and to help him move towards his destiny, ether way we probably won't find out anytime soon.
                      AAARGH! You're right, but don't you think that we SHOULD find out?! I mean, how can Gough & Millar think it's alright to spend the better part of four seasons (S2-S5) barely hinting at this cryptic impression of Jor-El? After a while it just becomes exasperating and fans give up waiting ...

... he saved his son from a dieing planet, sent him to a life supporting planet onto the hands of people he knew would love and accept him - AND he has created the FOS as a way to help teach Clark about his Kryptoian heritage, his powers, and why he is on Earth - something Clark has been avoiding so far.
                      This I entirely agree with. We still know nothing about what Clark was being 'programmed' with in "Arrival" when he had his first 'lesson' at the FoS. That thread seems largely forgotten

Most of the bad things that have happened, have been because of Clark's actions, Jor-el simply warned him that every time he uses his powers without understanding them completely he will have to face whatever the consequences - Jor-el is simply trying to help Clark understand that his destiny is greater than saving Lana or whoever every so often!
                      OUCH! See, that's where I have to disagree with you - mainly for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. Clark has been consistently COERCED by his father. All Clark wants is to GET AWAY from Jor-El. Even the creation of the FoS was a result of Clark trying to unite the stones to save the world rather than make any grand discoveries about his heritage.

"his destiny is greater than saving Lana"? Psycosis, are you speaking from Jor-El's point of view, or is this YOUR view? In either case, surely no one has the right to decide that except Clark? Clark should be the one deciding his destiny - not Jor-El. That's what makes Jor-El a b$£"^&$ IMHO - he's an overbearing, meddling, ruthless, obstinate SOB rather than the guiding, enlightening father that he was in previous incarnations

P.S. Reverse “S”???
                      It was an 8 and it is the El family crest.
                      Oh, you know what I meant!
                      Last edited by Krypto500; 05-13-2006, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Thank y'all for the welcomes. I feel I have officially 'arrived'.

Comment

Anytime, Lex Devotee

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎