Episode 1: "Pilot"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 1: "Pilot"

Original Airdate 9/20/90

The origin of a superhero. An accident gives police crime-lab expert Barry Allen awesome powers of speed, and he vows to use them to bring his brother's murderer to justice. But first, Allen must learn to control his sudden, remarkable talents.

Discuss this episode here.
    Last edited by WhiteBoy20; 05-07-2006, 09:36 AM.

Wow. Troll around much

I haven't seen this series before, sounds interesting though..

Comment

If they were to make an episode like that, with all the special effects (and better acting) that we have now... it would definately be a hit TV show

THE FLASH IS F*CKING AWESOME, THE BEST SUPERHERO NEXT TO SUPERMAN!!!!!!

Comment

Actually, it was a really good show for the day. But flash in this, is way underpowered. The special effects are also pretty cheddar worthy, but if you remember this show from when you were a kid, I would recommend getting it. I just don't find most teenagers of today to be all the excited about a 39 year old flash.

Comment

I've got the dvd of the whole(single) series. It's one of my favorites. It's a shame it didn't continue.

Comment

I remember loving this pilot when I was little....it came out in the very early 90s right?

I still remember the line to his nephew at the end of the first episode...'i'll be there...in a Flash.'

Comment

I thought it was a very well produced pilot. For all the complaints of poor special effects, I think the pilot captured the feel of what Flash should look like when he's running (a blend of realistic with a bright red blur following him). And the pilot feels very much like a feature film, instead of just being shot completely in a backlot.

It's just a shame that majestic, skyscraper-laden city shown in the title card for Central City in the first moments of the show doesn't quite match what the rest of the series ever depicted.

Comment

I remember seeing this Pilot years ago. I just purchased the series and watched
                the Pilot, last night. I quickly received the impression that no one in this thing
                really knew how to act? Special effects tolerable. Story tolerable. It felt like
                a Saturday Morning Cartoon. Probably why it didn't survive on Prime Time TV.
                This would have been good on Sci-Fi Channel and could have lasted for years.
                I'd give this episode a C. Average.

Comment

Just watched this pilot ep from the complete flash set I got. And I have to say, I loved it! I loved it more than I thought I would.

After all, I did go in comparing this older series to the new one. But a part of me was also treating this as an alternate universe Flash show, which also helped me enjoy it more as well. My impressions throughout the show:

1) Central City in the beginning reminds me very much of Tim Burton's Batman universe.. the gothic undertone and the sense of danger looming around every corner of the city in the night. Central City was even Gotham-like in how crime seemed to be rife and the criminals were getting away with everything.

2) What was with the criminals using glowing green stuff to blow things up though? The green stuff keeps on making me think of Kryptonite. And is it just me, or were the biker gang directly lifted from the "Streets of rage" beat'em up game? They just have that aesthetic of being a video-game baddie. That's not a bad thing at all, but it did amuse me a little. Especially Pike, the boss. He pretty much had that Videogame boss look down pat.

3) I thought it was kind of cool that they had Pike, the villain of the pilot, be an ex-cop. It explains why they were able to get around the cops, and made fools out of them without causing the police to look incompetent. After all, who knows how the police work and their methods better than an ex-cop does?

4) Comparing this Barry and the newer younger Barry: I found it interesting how this Barry was so different because he had an happy family life. He had a loving big brother, even if he often felt that he couldn't measure up to him. Basically, I really loved seeing this difference here, even if they had {highlight for spoiler} to kill off his poor brother to motivate Barry into being the flash.{/spoiler}

5) Earl, the dog! The acting chops on that dog... why, he could give Shelby a run for his money!

6) I know others don't agree with me, but I liked how they played up the problems that having a super-fast metabolism could cause for our hero. It really added to the sense of drama, and made you want to root for him.. so that he could overcome that and defeat any adversary that stood in his way.

7) I was struck by how similar Tina Mcgee and Catlin Snow were... two different flash shows, but the two have so much in common. Both worked for starlabs, lost somebody they loved thanks to something that could had been prevented by Starlabs, etc. Seriously, if 90's flash and The new flash did a crossover, I'm sure Tina and Catlin would find so many things in common and bond over that.

8) I also found it highly interesting how Barry Allen in this older universe seems to be very leery of Starlabs in general... after all it does have a very "scary" reputation, and the fact that Tina revealed how they experimented on her husband doesn't seem to help with that. contrast that with the new barry, who has a good relationship with all of starlabs in general despite the fact that it was practically founded by a villain.

9) however I was not a big fan of how they handled Iris in this. She's commitment-phobic, doesn't want to get married even though Barry wants to... broke up with Barry for a while but then got back together with him at the end of the plot episode. I guess a Superhero show isn't a superhero show without a little relationship drama?

overall, I would give this pilot a 9/10 rating. knocking off one star because a few things really showed it's age.
                  Last edited by Aurora Moon; 07-08-2015, 11:59 PM.

Comment

just re watch it tonight. some part that i didn't remember it like the start of it.. I love how he was trying to clean his place before Iris get up there made me laugh hard...

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎