Oracle's Ratings

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might help it for a few episodes especially in the beginning of the season, people check it out and see if it's anywhere near as good as the movie.

But knowing Smallville's history especially with continuity, i doubt people will stay and watch it. But i may be wrong, guess we'll see.

Originally posted by myankskent
    Before we say that they don't care about Smallville and all they care about is not making the same mistakes with Aquaman, let's see Aquaman pick up first and get some ratings. We don't even know if Aquaman is going to happen or what kind of show it is. It will be tough for them to make a show like that compete with what Smallville has become.
    Aquaman is Smallville, the plot, characters and ideas are the same. The hero, the girl the hero's inlove with, the girl's boyfriend who is a jock, the hero's best friend who is btw a girl... you get the idea.

Comment

I think that they just stopped advertizing it as much you forget but b4 this break they advertized Smallville a lot!!! Remember the 100th episode that was advertized like crazy I just think it's that..... All it needs is some advertizing it's the season finale!!! And ratings will go up!

Comment

I think many people watch smallville by downloading from BT.
        I do not live in America(in Asia), so I need to downloading from this way to watch my favorite series.
        And find that smallville's rating in BT is higer than other series.
        Maybe many people watch other series at 8:00pm on Tuesday,
        and then download smallville to collect.
        Last edited by kuang; 05-08-2006, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kuang
          I think many people watch smallville by downloading from BT.
          I do not live in America(in Asia), so I need to downloading from this way to watch my favorite series.
          And find that smallville's rating in BT is higer than other series.
          Maybe many people watch other series at 8:00pm on Tuesday,
          and then download smallville to collect.
          HA..HA I'm that kind person.

I dont even know why they allow that download thing. It should be shut down if it's free and without permission from Warner Bros.

How can I get a Nielsen box to get that rating up? I watched Smallville everyweek whether the eppy is good or crap. I even watch reruns when it's hiatus time.
          Last edited by canon; 05-06-2006, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Lets face it the cop out that is " Reckoning" killed the show for those fans that were on the fence of leaving the show for good or staying and continuing to watch. It was such an oppurtunity lost having Lana die and they blew it. If you think about it you can actually pin point the moment those fans tuned out. Remeber the commercial break just after Jonathan pulled Clark away from Lanas bloody carcass? They come back from commercial and we see Clark babbaling in the fortress to Jor-EL whaaahh whaaahhh You killed her. As soon as the " Time Crystal " appeared it was over, done, finished. We haven't seen them again. They will never come back even if Zod comes back or even if Clark flies period. I believe the ratings for "Vessel" will be just as bad as all the rest after " Hypnotic".

Comment

Originally posted by warriorrenegade
              Lets face it the cop out that is " Reckoning" killed the show for those fans that were on the fence of leaving the show for good or staying and continuing to watch. It was such an oppurtunity lost having Lana die and they blew it. If you think about it you can actually pin point the moment those fans tuned out. Remeber the commercial break just after Jonathan pulled Clark away from Lanas bloody carcass? They come back from commercial and we see Clark babbaling in the fortress to Jor-EL whaaahh whaaahhh You killed her. As soon as the " Time Crystal " appeared it was over, done, finished. We haven't seen them again. They will never come back even if Zod comes back or even if Clark flies period. I believe the ratings for "Vessel" will be just as bad as all the rest after " Hypnotic".
              If seeing the crystal to turn back time is what caused people to stop watching the show, then why have the episodes that followed Reckoning been much higher in terms of ratings than the ones that followed hypnotic? Why did Cyborg, three episodes after Reckoning, do a 4 rating with a 6 share if it was based only on Reckoning. Now I admit that Reckoning was a part of it, but Lana living did not turn people away from the show, or else ratings would've suffered immediately after Reckoning and never recovered.

Comment

Originally posted by myankskent
                If seeing the crystal to turn back time is what caused people to stop watching the show, then why have the episodes that followed Reckoning been much higher in terms of ratings than the ones that followed hypnotic? Why did Cyborg, three episodes after Reckoning, do a 4 rating with a 6 share if it was based only on Reckoning. Now I admit that Reckoning was a part of it, but Lana living did not turn people away from the show, or else ratings would've suffered immediately after Reckoning and never recovered.

4 weeks in hiatus, then we got Hypnotic which was really a crappy episode. I dont know what the writers were thinking and why they had to do an eppy like Hypnotic with Clark making out with some girl just so the writers can show the viewers the nail in the coffin for the total demise of Clark/Lana relationship.........when I thought their relationship ended back in Reckoning. Killing off Pa Kent probably lost some of his fans. Then they had their promo dept ran Lex/Lana kiss in Fragile/Fade/Oracle which probably turned off some more.

Oh well, at least Smallville still has me to tune in....too bad I don't have a Nielsen box so it won't matter if I tune in every week.
                Last edited by canon; 05-06-2006, 02:04 PM.

Comment

blaming lana not dying for the bad ratings is soooo stupid, cuz then the ratings for every ep after reckoning shoulda been bad. but the ratings started going down after hypnotic, wich besides being a horrible episode, broke up clana in the worse way posible.

Comment

I'm no Clana fan, but the handling of that has certainly disappointed many people, and I can't blame them. I may have been tortured to death by their relationship for five years but it was an important part of the show and should have been handled with all the seriousness and importance of a significant event. It just seemed like their whole breaking up arc was slapped together, not to mention all the parts where they are obviously going for the cheap, teen-angst drama. I believe that the silliness and yo-yoing of this has trickled into the subsequent episodes. Certainly both characters have suffered from it and gone down in the estimation of some viewers.

I was disappointed in "Reckoning" too. I was more let down by the time-travel stuff and the predictability of the storyline, but I think the appeal of the show to many people was the family dynamic between the Kents and that was pretty much broken with that episode. I know a few people who have quit watching because of it.

Lexana seems to be a killer to some I know as well. I myself have no interest in their relationship. In fact, I find it rather pointless and unnecessary. Only loyalty to the show (and the fact that I still have my moments of liking it despite my gripes) has kept me from tuning out a few times because of Lexana, and I‘m more than a casual viewer of the show.

I realize that there is nothing in this that other posters in this thread haven’t touched on before but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

I also think, although I really don’t have much to back it up, that the rocky continuity has turned off some fans. The show’s continuity has been pretty consistent with Season Five as a self-contained entity. However, the overall continuity of the seasons has suffered (as usual, sad to say). The writers keep retrofitting the characters to these plot-bombs rather than trying to develop the plothooks from what we know of them.

Don’t want to leave out the FOTW and filler episodes. Can’t exactly draw attention with those and they seem to be rough on the hardcore fans. I’m not sure how they affect the more casual viewers.

The release of “Superman Returns” may draw some new viewers to the show. If it wants to keep them, however, I think they should concentrate on delivering some well-written episodes.

Comment

i see. well, my way of thinking is that, ive watched this show for 5 seasons now, i wouldn't just stop watching it cos i don't like a couple of episodes.....if i thought like that i woulda stopped watching last season cos of that magic ish.

Comment

If you think about it you can actually pin point the moment those fans tuned out. Remeber the commercial break just after Jonathan pulled Clark away from Lanas bloody carcass? They come back from commercial and we see Clark babbaling in the fortress to Jor-EL whaaahh whaaahhh You killed her. As soon as the " Time Crystal " appeared it was over, done, finished.
                        I think you're right, unfortunately. When that crystal popped out, I said to myself, "Oh, no."

They never should have killed Lana in the first place. What was the point? That Clark would do anything to save her? We already knew that. What's the lesson for Clark when Jonathan dies? Don't mess with destiny because it will come back and bite you in the a**? I don't know what the point was, at all. And it left us with a bleak show without one of its strongest, most positive characters.

I think casual viewers might have been willing to hang in there until the next break. But having a few weeks to get away from the show, and having nothing to come back to, presumably, the less-than-die-hard viewers let it go. And why should they come back? I mean, what was there to come back to but a sleazy Hypnotic? That's not why people were watching SV.
                        Last edited by Watching Smallville; 05-06-2006, 04:56 PM.

Comment

The second half of "Reckoning" certainly felt like a classic Jump-the-Shark moment. The fact that the run of episodes that followed it couldn't seem to figure out Lana & Clark were still a couple sure didn't help. I, for one, needed those three episodes to have more of them trying to work it out, refering back to what happened, etc.

That said, 'Cyborg' and 'Tomb' were decent enough that I didn't regret the hour I invested. Solid sci-fi action TV is fun enough by itself for me.

However, 'Hypnotic' felt like a slap in the face. I am not a huge ship guy. I like the plot driven stories and meta-stories using the Superman mythos. I'd really like to see the Legion of Super-Heros, for example. That said, the ships are a big part of the show.

The Clana took two freaking years to set up. Prior to S5, we'd only seen them as an actual couple for, like, three episodes. Forty episodes of set-up and three episodes of pay-off was annoying. Jason was decent character, but after wasting all of S3 it was getting weird. In S5, we were finally going to see them as a real couple. You knew it wouldn't last, but at least the wait would be over.

After all that, having it ignored and then watching the actual break-up totally butchered was totally insulting. The quality of the episodes has picked up a bit recently, but my faith is shaken and I consider myself a pretty hard-core fan. If I wasn't curious how they were going to turn this Lois & Clark into the adult versions we know, I might've stopped watching as well.

Comment

The WB needs to promote the show more. Also we don't know what they are allowing the writers to write as they (WB) has full control on what happens with the show. Look what they did to L&C totally blew it out of the water.

But I agree the marketing department has not been doing there job and seems like they are just letting it hang out there, all by itself.....

Jack

Comment

I must say the ratings slip has caused me some concern. I thought we would see a gradual climb after hypnotic because of the long break the show had. That could explain why the first returning episode after a few weeks off did not do so well. Yet Hypnotic did better then the second to the last episode? Yikes!
                              I don't think you can blame any ship (Clana/Lexana). Perhaps Reckoning was so hyped that it left many fans disappointed when it did not deliver for them. I know all I posted preReckoning was just don't use time travel, stick to whatever happens and WTH did I get.... extactly the last thing in the world I wanted to see. THEY HIT THE RESET BUTTON! *Jaime getting frustrated* So if I was let down perhaps so were alot of other less diehard fans then myself. Maybe they weren't as forgiving and didn't return.

Hopefully after Superman Returns this summer it will draw fans to the SV season premiere, but it is up to good writing to keep the new found fans in S6. *Jaime crosses her fingers*

Comment

Yeah -- after the break, we really needed a strong episode to show people there was something to come back to. It should have been the anti-Reckoning: "See, this is why we did what we did." But we got a weak episode, a sleaze plot line, and a final scene that made every single Clana fan angry.

It's little wonder the ratings fell after that.

Let's hope the movie gives the show a boost.
                                Last edited by Watching Smallville; 05-06-2006, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎