Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the actors have a say on what goes on with the series?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Juan
    The point is that both TW and KK are not very fond of the repeated romantic angst that has plagued the Clana relationship since the begining and want to do different things with their respective characters. Heck Welling himself said he couln't understand why any man would want to be with Lana given that she's way too much high maintenance. This was from an interview with Smallville magazine shortly before season five began. The WB website had a video interview with Kristen Kruek pre-season five as well where she talked about Clark and Lana's relationship and let me tell you her demeanor and body language sent one message crystal clear and that was a real lack of enthusiasm about having to go down that road yet again. I think you can pretty much gaurantee KK knew or had a pretty good idea how they were going to cause the tension that ultimately broke up the couple. At the end up the day both TW and KK wanted out of Clana.

At this point the actors want to explore different venues with the characters and want to do different things other than keep doing what they had been doing for the last five years. I believe that all of the big three actors were frustrated on some level at just how formuliac the show has been and the lack of real concrete forward motion for the characters. From TW interviews for Reckoning and on forth you can tell he really wants to explore more of the Clark becomming Superman rather than Clark's girlfriend woes. IMO the man is right because all the highest rated episodes of the season have been superhero/mythology themed episodes.
    Great points, Old Juan. I remember those exact interviews you're referring to, and would've mentioned them accordingly had you not already done so.

I don't blame TW one bit for wanting Clark to get beyond his high-school-crush hang-ups and onto his Superman-ish duties. I'd get sick of harping over a toasted romance for 4 1/2 seasons if I was an actor.

Comment

Actors should have some input about their characters, because of how well they know their characters. However, they shouldn't have over-inflated egos and make demands just because they are the stars.

Not that I think any of them are being prima donnas. They all seem to be level-headed and intelligent in interviews.

Comment

Just want to chime in that my earlier post regarded actors on televisions series' in general and is not meant to specifically apply to Smallville. I've heard some great ideas from actors on this show and others, and I've heard a few not-good idea from actors from this show and others, too. Unfortunately, those happened sometimes.

Comment

I think their opinions and suggestions should definitely be considered but they are not the writers and if the writers don't like their idea at all then it shouldn't be done.

Comment

Originally posted by photogirl
            I think their opinions and suggestions should definitely be considered but they are not the writers and if the writers don't like their idea at all then it shouldn't be done.
            Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Juan
              The point is that both TW and KK are not very fond of the repeated romantic angst that has plagued the Clana relationship since the begining and want to do different things with their respective characters. Heck Welling himself said he couln't understand why any man would want to be with Lana given that she's way too much high maintenance. This was from an interview with Smallville magazine shortly before season five began. The WB website had a video interview with Kristen Kruek pre-season five as well where she talked about Clark and Lana's relationship and let me tell you her demeanor and body language sent one message crystal clear and that was a real lack of enthusiasm about having to go down that road yet again. I think you can pretty much gaurantee KK knew or had a pretty good idea how they were going to cause the tension that ultimately broke up the couple. At the end up the day both TW and KK wanted out of Clana.

At this point the actors want to explore different venues with the characters and want to do different things other than keep doing what they had been doing for the last five years. I believe that all of the big three actors were frustrated on some level at just how formuliac the show has been and the lack of real concrete forward motion for the characters. From TW interviews for Reckoning and on forth you can tell he really wants to explore more of the Clark becomming Superman rather than Clark's girlfriend woes. IMO the man is right because all the highest rated episodes of the season have been superhero/mythology themed episodes.

I always love hearing the wisdom from Old Juan. Thanks! Great post, I agree.

Comment

Since Reckoning we have had interviews with Allison, Michael, Tom, Annette, John S., and John Glover talking about the direction of the show. Where is Kristin? Her character has changed the most since that episode. Allison even alluded to the fact that she was happy Kristin was getting an opportunity to explore a different side of Lana. Where's Kristin's opinion? It has been 4 months since Reckoning aired. She has played Lexana and a druggie. The last interview I read was in the SV Maginzine and that was pre-Splinter.
                Kristin did an interview where she said she used to fret over the Lana character but had since left it up to the writers. She should thank them for making her be held in so much contempt. Even Clana/Lana fans are upset. Did it help the ratings? I say no. Maybe KK should get involved, at least in promotion if not storylines and character development.

Comment

Actors should just do what they are told. That's sign of a good actor: being able to pull off whatever role thay are told to do. The story telling should be left to the writers

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎