X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

The entire Martha and Lois talk near the end

Comment

Originally posted by clarksmuse
      When Clark calls himself "your guy Friday" when speaking to Chloe... That's priceless!!
      I'm going to have to admit my ignorance here. I've seen a lot of people quoting that line on the forum... what significance does "your guy Friday" have? What does it mean?

Comment

When did Lex say this line

Lex to Lana: "Now I have more to live for." ?

Comment

Originally posted by TampaVille
          I'm going to have to admit my ignorance here. I've seen a lot of people quoting that line on the forum... what significance does "your guy Friday" have? What does it mean?
          It's a reference to His Girl Friday, which is a movie from the 40s, where an editor (played by Cary Grant) tries to keep his ace-reporter (played by Rosalind Russell ) from leaving the paper to go off and marry some guy.

It's what in many ways the iconic Lois Lane (not the SV!Lois) character is based off of. The hard-nose reporter type, I mean. In the Smallville universe this type would be Chloe.

Comment

It's a reference to His Girl Friday, which is a movie from the 40s, where an editor (played by Cary Grant) tries to keep his ace-reporter (played by Rosalind Russell ) from leaving the paper to go off and marry some guy
            Not necessarily. The term "Man Friday" predates that movie and the term 'girl friday' by a couple of hundred years. It comes from Daniel Defoe's novel Robinson Crusoe. The shipwrecked hero from the story finds a native man on Friday and so calls him Friday and often refers to him as "my man Friday" in the way he might refer to a butler or other servant. Because of that novel a "man friday" or a "girl friday" evolved to mean someone who performs indispensable tasks, but is usually not treated with equality.

Comment

I think the line was 'not that I mind being our boy Friday...' (which is funny not only bc of the analogy of Chloe being the hard-headed reporter, but bc that is essentially Chloe's role to Clark in the larger sense).

I liked it after Lois' and Clark's "what are you doing here?!" When Lois asked Clark to do her a favor and pretend that he doesn't know her. That might explain her seemingly not knowing Clark at the DP later on down the road and not admitting she'd ever heard of Smallville... plausible.

Plus, Lois is just great comic relief. i thought it poetic that he caught her just coming out of the shower. Like the audience has a clue on the inside joke, but the characters don't. Very funny.

Comment

Lana to Clark: "I know you think you 're being some kind of a hero Clark, but the truth is I don't need you to protect me..."

Comment

I can't remeber the exact words, but I thought Lex, when he told Lana to tell Clark about them because he at least deserves a little respect, was very classy. He did it out of respect. If he wanted to hurt Clark, Lex would have told Clark himself so he could watch as Clark staggered emotionally.
                  Last edited by puddinpiester; 04-28-2006, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by constancelight
                    It's a reference to His Girl Friday, which is a movie from the 40s, where an editor (played by Cary Grant) tries to keep his ace-reporter (played by Rosalind Russell ) from leaving the paper to go off and marry some guy.
                    Many thanks to constancelight and batfinx for the explanations!

Comment

Originally posted by puddinpiester
                      I can't remeber the exact words, but I thought Lex, when he told Lana to tell Clark about them because he at least deserves a little respect, was very classy. He did it out of respect. If he wanted to hurt Clark, Lex would have told Clark himself so he could watch as Clark staggered emotionally.
                      I liked that line too. It was my favorite line in the ep.

Comment

Graham to Lois

"You his girlfriend?"

Lois to Graham

"Not in this lifetime."

Graham to Lois

"That's odd."

Lois to Graham

"That's Clark Kent."

Clark to Chloe

"Ever since I found out that Lionel knows my secret, I've been, waiting for a bomb to go off."

Chole to Clark

"Yeah, well don't duck and cover yet, I mean, for we know, he may never light the fuse."

Clark to Chloe

'This is Lionel Luther we're talking about."

[Clark says wisely for once, cause he's typically a BDA]

Graham to the star witness (the red tie)

"Can I help you with that?"

Graham to Clark

"Made a killing the other day, it's all thanks to Clark Kent."

[Indeed]

Gia to Clark

"Do you want to take a tour. I hear the view from the bedroom is even better than the balcony."

[Schwing!]

Graham to Lois

"It is, but it can get a little cut-throat".

[Like Lex's condition, eh]

Lex to Lana

"Not suppose to do a lot of things."

[Starting with]

Lana to Lex

"I don't understand who would of want to do this to you?"

Lex to Lana

"Pick a number. There are a lot of people who want to see me breathe my last breath.
                        But I'm not gonna [going to] make it easy for them. I have too much to live for."

[Yeah, especially since you need to become the villain in the story]

Lois to Martha

"Me, I'm fine. Getting swept off my feet by a notorious hit man is just my way of livin' La Vida Loca."

"But it does confirm a very disturbing trend in my life. In as much as I'd like to deny it, I seem to be a magnet for guys who end up on America's Most Wanted./Trust me, you don't want to see the rap sheets."

[That's a howler line]

"Why can't I just meet a decent guy from a decent family who, happens not to be a psychopath?"

"What worries me is that when my Jonathan
                        finally does come around, I'll be looking the other way and I'll miss him completely."

"Well. if there's a good reason for all the pain and aggravation, I'm dying to know."

Martha to Lois

"Maybe, you have to get through all the wrong men, so, you can recognize the right one."

[Earth to Lois, hello, you call him Smallville]

Comment

Lois, playing video game: "Aw, come on, Smallville. You killed me."

Comment

Lana: I don't need you to protect me

Comment

Lex when he learns that Clark visited him at the hospital: "Too bad it takes a near-death experience to bring old friends together."

Thought that worked on so many levels: makes you sad that he's admitting they were once friends but that it's all over, and even sadder that he realises it and wishes it could be different.

Comment

Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I saw it as a ploy for him to try to win Clark's friendship and trust back. Though with Lex, those two interpretations are definitely not mutually exclusive.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎