Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saw???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i saw scary movie 4 last night and the opening scene was so much like smallville on thursday that i could almost anticipate what the masked psychopath was going to say. i've never seen Saw before but my friends told me it was saw that they were parodying in SM4 so i put 2 and 2 together and realized smallville was "borrowing" from Saw. i'm not sure what to think of that though. i like it better when smallville is completely original...

Comment

I was waiting for the guy to say, "Oh yes, there will be blood."

Comment

ok i dont think anyone trully denies that this episode is highly influenced by the movie Saw...nothing to defend here and nothing to disagree with. If Saw never came out, this episode would have never existed ...period

me: whos feels like they wasted an hour watching this?...cuz i dont, and who cares that the writers stole some stuff to make an episode that was still meaningful in this season's arc?...cuz i dont feel that way either....good day

all of you guys: but boywithbluehanger...

me: (rushes in) I SAID GOOD DAY!!

Comment

Originally posted by boywithbluehanger
          ok i dont think anyone trully denies that this episode is highly influenced by the movie Saw...nothing to defend here and nothing to disagree with. If Saw never came out, this episode would have never existed ...period

me: whos feels like they wasted an hour watching this?...cuz i dont, and who cares that the writers stole some stuff to make an episode that was still meaningful in this season's arc?...cuz i dont feel that way either....good day

all of you guys: but boywithbluehanger...

me: (rushes in) I SAID GOOD DAY!!
          Ha Ha! God, I love Fez!

Comment

I think you guys are missing the point of what the writers are doing. They know how to appeal to their audience, it's a key part of how to target your demographic. Hit them with something they are familiar with as a positive experience.

People who enjoyed Saw could see this and immediately have the reference to a cool movie they saw and equate this episode with that experience. Just like when Supernatural's bloody mary borrowed from the ring. It's a way to make viewers say "cool, this is like Saw!" which they enjoyed, so they sit back and see how it unfolds.

That's just how pop culture works, in music, movies, whatever. One formula sparks interest and gains a following and many others come along and cater to the genre with a similar formula.

Comment

I haven't seen Saw but i know of it and the first thing i thought was "oh this is so Saw". I'm fully aware that films influence films, but in the best cases of this, the new film would take an older film and then step it up a notch. I found it a bit annoying because there's been quite a few film rip-offs in this series and i love smallville but it's Superman and i think it should be setting trends and not following them. I did enjoy it though and was a great chance to see something happen within the story that isn't just "another kryptonite superperson" x

Comment

Originally posted by NotTodayPete
                I think you guys are missing the point of what the writers are doing. They know how to appeal to their audience, it's a key part of how to target your demographic. Hit them with something they are familiar with as a positive experience.

That's an amusing spin on this situation.
                So the writers are attempting to give us quality entertainment by ripping off popular films and tv shows.

People who enjoyed Saw could see this and immediately have the reference to a cool movie they saw and equate this episode with that experience. Just like when Supernatural's bloody mary borrowed from the ring. It's a way to make viewers say "cool, this is like Saw!" which they enjoyed, so they sit back and see how it unfolds.

That's just how pop culture works, in music, movies, whatever. One formula sparks interest and gains a following and many others come along and cater to the genre with a similar formula.
                Hmm I didn't know pop culture was about plagerism. Thanks for the insight.
                Last edited by zanos; 04-25-2006, 03:35 AM.

Comment

you know... i thought the EXACT same thing.

Comment

Try to think of the guy in the episode as a copy cat of types and that will help you out slightly...

I mean granted it is kind of lame that they ripped off something else for the episode but all in all it was entertaining so I am willing to look past it

Comment

• Originally posted by zanos

That's an amusing spin on this situation.
                      So the writers are attempting to give us quality entertainment by ripping off popular films and tv shows.

Hmm I didn't know pop culture was about plagerism. Thanks for the insight. [/B]
                      if you still can't grasp the concept, then I can't really help you. Good luck! Marry up.

Comment

• How old is the average age of people who watch smallville? Isn't Saw an 18? Always thought there'd be people who aren't old enough for that rating so wouldn't have watched Saw. Same with Scary Movie being a 15, some people haven't seen the films! I saw Saw last night! x

Comment

• Lmao, I cant believe the writers actually had the cojones to do that.

Seriously, the writers, or should I say more creative writers, could have put across the same themes in their own unique style. This wasn't a homage and it shouldn't be praised because people look at it and say 'Wow this is just like saw that is so kewl and awesome!!!'

This episode was just ludicrous which is a complete shame, because it had alot of positive elements.

Comment

• The whole concept was like "Saw".

It was plagerism lol

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍