Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wise words from Martha? Not all of them.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wise words from Martha? Not all of them.

I for one, was not all ga ga over Martha's comments to Clark - "You're in an adult relationship now..." Give me a break! He couldn't have behaved less like an adult than he did.
    "We may all regret what that drives her to do" (I'm paraphrasing on that one) WTF??? I know the writers probably threw that in there as a foreshadowing of Lana's story arc, but the writers are stripping away what little dignity her character may have retained...and to have Martha hint that she could betray Clarkor somehow be a threat to him now was pretty nasty...I don't care how gently Annette O'Toole delivered the line...it was just crap....

The foreshadowing line was pretty forced, wasn't it? I think they beat us over the head a bit too hard with some of those anvils.

Comment

Martha: "You know Clark, Lana may go and have "adult relations with Lex, then plot your demise over a crackling fire, sipping on expensive wine. Boy, you're screwed. So, how did you like the pie I made?"

Comment

What about the one: " maybe deep inside you thought she was not the one". I was like "Martha have you watched this show ever?"
        It makes me unconftrible everytime Martha tells Clar that he is in a adult relationship, because he behaves exactly the opposite. An advice from my parents would had been (by season 3) "tell her the truth or make a clean break", oh and " stop apologizing already".

Comment

Is this Martha's platitude speeches?

Because if so I think we need Schneider back really really need Schneider back.

Comment

The more I think about it, the more irritated I get about the line that angry Lana could be a problem...how could she be a threat if she's never put the pieces together about Clark or been told? If this is truly the direction they are taking Lana's character, then things will be worse than I ever imagined...

Comment

Originally posted by loisluvr_72
              Martha: "You know Clark, Lana may go and have 'adult relations' with Lex, then plot your demise over a crackling fire, sipping on expensive wine. Boy, you're screwed. So, how did you like the pie I made?"
              Thats exactly what she should have said!

Originally posted by unPTC I for one, was not all ga ga over Martha's comments to Clark - "You're in an adult relationship now..." Give me a break! He couldn't have behaved less like an adult than he did.
              I nearly choked on my dinner when she said that! ADULT? Did she just imply that Clark was acting like an ADULT?! WTF?! Clark smashed Lana's heart because it was what was easier for him, not what was best for her. That is childish and I can't wait for Lexana to start having 'adult relations' and Clarkie to find out and of course have the nerve to be heart broke about it. I will be laughing my aas...um, butt off! Thats what he gets!

Comment

Oh, I'm so glad you posted this thread.... this was exactly what I was thinking. What an enabler... she needed to say, "Um, Clark - you're acting like an emotional child. Why'd you treat her like that? I would have thought I raised you better."

I thought Chloe handled his plan in a mature way.

Comment

LOL, Thats what my mom would have done. Clark has to learn to grow up and if Ma doesn't have the backbone to help....god help Smallville.

Comment

Originally posted by unPTC
                    "You're in an adult relationship now..." Give me a break! He couldn't have behaved less like an adult than he did.
                    I may have misinterpreted it, but I took it as her telling him he was in an adult relationship now not telling him he was acting like an adult. More of the "this is not a high school one and sometimes you have to do the responsible thing even if you don't want to and eve if it hurts" sort of talk.

Originally posted by RedPhoenix23

Clark smashed Lana's heart because it was what was easier for him, not what was best for her.
                    I am not a fan whatsoever of clana, but do you really think that him lying to her about not loving her so that she would let him go wasn't best for her? Him dragging his feet and hurting her everyday by not sharing his secret was what was bad for her in my opinion. And a lot of people are upset b/c he looked her right in the eye and lied and said he didn't love her. Sometimes this is what you have to do in an adult relationship. Sometimes no matter how much you love someone, you just know it isn't going to work and you have to end it no matter what. She had made it more than obvious that she was willing to wait no matter how bad it made her feel. If he had said anything else (e.g. "This just isn't going to work") she never would have accepted that answer and would have kept holding on and kept pushing him. Making her think he didn't love her any more was the only way she was going to let it go. I have been in her shoes and I guarantee you, in the situation, what he did was better for her in the long run. Now, that having been said, I think he should have stopped being a big baby and just told her his secret. He should have given her more credit than he did.

Comment

Martha: "You know Clark, Lana may go and have "adult relations with Lex, then plot your demise over a crackling fire, sipping on expensive wine. Boy, you're screwed. So, how did you like the pie I made?"
                      This just cracks me up everytime I read it!!

Next time I am giving advice I'll remember to have pie handy
                      Last edited by LuckyKrypto; 03-30-2006, 11:14 PM.

Comment

LOL, Thats what my mom would have done. Clark has to learn to grow up and if Ma doesn't have the backbone to help....god help Smallville.
                        Yeah, I was really missing Jonathan in that scene. I just hope that Jonathan comes back to Clark in a dream or something and smacks him up side the head.

I mean, I'm all for the break-up, but Clark handled it in a really immature way. He took the easy way out & Martha just said, "Good boy. You did what would make every mother proud. Now, let me just blame it all on Lana if anything bad comes out of this."

On an aside... where is supermom getting time to bake pies?!?!? Frack... she's a senator!!

Comment

I think you have to look at how Clark told Lana and why he lied to her. He lied to her to protect her and to keep from hurting her in the future. Thats an adult decision and a very compassionate decision, I don't care what you say about it.

p.s. I like to see Lana bawl like a little kid, so entertaining...

Comment

I thought it was a big enough anvil, but yours is funnier.
                            Indeed! I thought she was going to say somthing like "adults should try be honest with each other but Clark is an adult and can make his own decisions". I really can't believe she approved of another lie. I'm not even sure Jonathan would have comforted Clark with a platitude this time.
                            Thats exactly what she should have said!

I nearly choked on my dinner when she said that! ADULT? Did she just imply that Clark was acting like an ADULT?! WTF?! Clark smashed Lana's heart because it was what was easier for him, not what was best for her. That is childish and I can't wait for Lexana to start having 'adult relations' and Clarkie to find out and of course have the nerve to be heart broke about it. I will be laughing my aas...um, butt off! Thats what he gets!
                            Last edited by FotW; 03-31-2006, 03:35 AM.

Comment

She (or someone) should have said, "Clark, think about this: If you love her, tell her the truth; If you tell her your secret, maybe you should look into PROTECTING her this time. Explain to her what Lex's obsessions and suspicions mean to both of you. Maybe you could even mention what happened the last time you told her, she went to Lex, Lex killed her, you went back in time to change it, and Jonathan DIED and couldn't be saved! Oh, by the way, how is it you didn't kill Lex that time around?"

Another possibility is this: "Clark, the problem is Lex, obviously. Maybe you shouldn't kill him, 'cause that'd be BAD, I guess, but you're a big boy now, and have to decide for yourself. Let's see: superspeed, superhearing, X-Ray and Telescopic Vision, and Superstrength - Isn't there some way you could get evidence to have him executed or put in Fort Leavenworth? Show a little initiative and backbone, son. Fight for Lana. Besides, Jonathan never liked that little bastard."

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎