Collapse
No announcement yet.

That was just flat out mean!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clark believed, probably correctly, that he had to have a final breakup with Lana, and that it would be a bad idea to tell her his secret.

But as Martha has tried to point out to him, the real reason Clark felt a need to break up with Lana might not even relate to his powers. Martha could tell that Clark recognized that Lana was just not the one for him. That doesn't mean that he doesn't still love her on some level. He just knows that the two of them are not quite the right combination for building a life together, and it would be unfair to Lana to tie her down to a relationship that he knew was ultimately not going to work.

It would certainly have been possible for Clark to have communicated this to Lana in a much kinder way than "My feelings have changed. I don't love you. Get Lost." He wouldn't even have had to tell her about his powers. But Clark isn't smooth enough to do that. That's realistic. Most 19 year old guys aren't. So he ended the relationship in a crude and clumsy way that hurt and angered Lana unnecessarily. Besides being realistic, this also moves along the storyline of Lana becoming involved with Lex and turning against Clark.

Comment

I'm not a Clana shipper, but I agree with you people, it was harsh! I never expected it would end this way.

Comment

i feel sorry for lana. she got the crappy end of this relationship.

Comment

Originally posted by MBCorp
          That's a good point, Becki. If Clark would tell Lana the truth about Lex then maybe she'd be smart enough to stay away from him. I still don't understand why he hasn't warned her away from Lex.
          Because he's a big dumb Alien! It's funny the big three have all been made into idoits.

Comment

Originally posted by angelfire east
            Because he's a big dumb Alien! It's funny the big three have all been made into idoits.

Good points Coyote. I think you hit the nail on the head.
            Last edited by Happy Random; 03-30-2006, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote
              Clark believed, probably correctly, that he had to have a final breakup with Lana, and that it would be a bad idea to tell her his secret.

But as Martha has tried to point out to him, the real reason Clark felt a need to break up with Lana might not even relate to his powers. Martha could tell that Clark recognized that Lana was just not the one for him. That doesn't mean that he doesn't still love her on some level. He just knows that the two of them are not quite the right combination for building a life together, and it would be unfair to Lana to tie her down to a relationship that he knew was ultimately not going to work.

It would certainly have been possible for Clark to have communicated this to Lana in a much kinder way than "My feelings have changed. I don't love you. Get Lost." He wouldn't even have had to tell her about his powers. But Clark isn't smooth enough to do that. That's realistic. Most 19 year old guys aren't. So he ended the relationship in a crude and clumsy way that hurt and angered Lana unnecessarily. Besides being realistic, this also moves along the storyline of Lana becoming involved with Lex and turning against Clark.
              I totally agree with you
              (I forget at times that he is only 19)

Comment

I think no matter how TPTB would have ended Clana people would be unhappy, whether it be at Clark or Lana.

I just don't get why people are saying some of the things they are about Clark. It would have been more selfish for him to keep holding on to Lana and the best way to end it is to act as if there was no more love between them. To lie to her once again, allowing Lana to move on. Very poetic.

All of this is to protect her. I'm not saying he should be lying, but look at what happened when he did tell her the truth. We see Lex's true colors. And it would happen again were he to tell her now.

I'm sorry, but I'll always end up rooting for Clark because he truly is a tortured soul as he discovers his destiny and my heart breaks for him. Lana can always find someone new. Even though we know Lois is his future he doesn't, so he'll always feel alone until then.
                Last edited by love_smallville; 03-30-2006, 11:28 PM.

Comment

Re: That was just flat out mean!

Originally posted by Happy Random
                  Is any body else ticked about the way that they ended the Clana?!? I mean I have gripped about the Clana and have been kind of waiting for it to end, but Clark was just a butt!! I mean how could he do that to her?!? I like Lana as a character and that was just the most awful way that they could have ended her relationship with Clark. Please post your opinions. *Happy Random goes off into room with punching bag to cool off*
                  Oh I am. It was very insulting. You can't build up their love for five seasons and then end it like that. Clark would NEVER hurt her that way. And then he was so non-challant about it. Even Chloe knew it would crush her and warned him NOT to do it that way. Even if Lana isn't the love of his life, she has been for 11 years and you don't just turn that off like a switch. And Martha has been beating the Clana drum for years. She even insisted Jonathan delay Clark's being grounded because he finally landed a date with Lana. She also wasn't upset when Clark told them he spilled the beans to Lana. Why is that? It's because she realizes that Lana is the one person he has wanted to tell more than any other person.

I don't have amesia and I remember the last five seasons. Clark has been all about Lana. And even when she was with other guys, it was clear she really wanted to be with Clark. I can't stand how they are writing Clark. They are making him deliberately obtuse. I can't stand him now. Clark is a lying, insensitive jerk. He couldn't even break up with her right.

Comment

Originally posted by Kal'sGirl
                    what was he supposed to do?

He tells her his secret- lex finds out- he (being LEX LUTHOR) finagles the secret out of her and possibly kills her in the process.

He doesn't tell her and they continue this torturous dance.

OR

He pushes her away to save her. He GRANTS HER JUSTIFICATION not to pine for him. He MAKES SURE she doesn't try to patch things up with him.

That wasn't mean, that was selfless. He loves/cares for this woman to his core.
                    I think this is the most accurate perspective. She would not give up on him if it wasn't done this way.

What I don't get is that alot of people keep bringing back the secret will not kill her. It's not just about her. Say Lex finds a way to get it out of her, but she lives. Lex could easily put Clark, Martha and Chloe all in danger over this. None of them would be safe, so this way, they are all safe.

Comment

Originally posted by All about Clark
                      I think this is the most accurate perspective. She would not give up on him if it wasn't done this way.

What I don't get is that alot of people keep bringing back the secret will not kill her. It's not just about her. Say Lex finds a way to get it out of her, but she lives. Lex could easily put Clark, Martha and Chloe all in danger over this. None of them would be safe, so this way, they are all safe.

If a drunken Lex was smart enough to figure out that Lana knew the secret, am I supposed to believe that sober Lex doesn't strongly suspect that Martha and Chloe know? Is he going after them? Nope. All the writers had to do was have Clark tell Lana and pen a few episodes with her struggling with it and then accident, partial amnesia or coma. That way Clana fans get some pay-off to a five season build up and not feel cheated.

I get that they had to break them up, but it's totally out of character for him to be that cruel to her? Telling her that he doesn't love her made no sense. I bet the guy who runs the laundromat knows Clark loves Lana. He could have handled it a 1000 ways. Here's one:

"Lana, I'm not happy with our relationship and I want to break up."

No. He hit her with a sledgehammer. Then he looked dumbfounded when Martha said his actions might make her hate him. Well duh! Lana knows fool well Clark loves her. You can't fake the depth of feelings they have shown one another. She knows it was yet another lie. Lana might be many things, but she's not stupid. I know Lana haters will disagree. But you don't spend that much time with someone and not know when they are lying. She can read him now. She ended it because she was pissed and fed up with his pathetic lies. I am 100% sure she didn't buy his excuse.

I am totally indifferent to Clark now. I did not recognize him tonight. For a superior being--he's very slow! And to the writers: if this was your idea of Clana closure--don't spit on my cupcake and call it frosting!

Comment

I personally liked the way they handled it. It would have been boring and lame to have Clark pull another "Lana I will always love you, but I can't keep hurting you. No matter how much I love you, we can't keep doing this to each other" Blah, blah, blah...

They need something like they gave us to finally end things for good and get the story moving in the direction that it needs to be going in.

What I find funny about this is that so many people who ship Clana defended the Reckoning reveal saying that they cut it short to give us a preview of what's to come. Then we are shown that Clark would rather lie to Lana, then expose his secret. Let's face it, the reveal in Reckoning is all we are going to get.

Comment

Re: Re: That was just flat out mean!

The argument that Clark can't tell Lana because she will somehow be killed, doesn't hold water IMO. Martha, Pete and Chloe know his secret and they are alive and well. Lana's death in "Reckoning" was more Jor-El's doing than Clark or Lex's fault. In my opinion her death in that episode had nothing to do with Clark's secret. Someone had to die because Jor-El had decided it and Lana just a random choice.
                          And tellng Lana doesn't put her in greater danger from Lex either. He isn't going to torture Lana in his dungeon over Clark's secret - he likes Lana more than Chloe or Martha and he hasn't even tortured them yet. And Lex probably assumes from the events in "Arrival" that Chloe knows Clark's secrets, and it's obvious that Martha would know. And if it came down to it, is Clark powerless against Lex? Can't he protect the love of his life from Lex? Is Lex's going to send his powerful security team to attack Clark and Lana? Of course not. It's just silly.
                          I agree with the posters who said that if Clark had to break up with Lana he could have said something else a little less cruel. I mean we are supposed to feel bad for (identify) with Clark since he's the hero and heart of the story, but time and time again he lies and acts stupid. He could have said anything like....
                          1)"I can't be in a romantic relationship now...(for various reasons)
                          2)" I can't ever be who you need/want me to be" (which is the truth)
                          4) "You are too needy "( oh wait that's kind of mean but still the truth )
                          3)"My secret is, I'm gay" (sorry I couldn' resist)

But in the end, it seems to me TPTB are more concerned with having Lana fall for Lex - than with the Clana love they have built up for 5 years, or with Clark showing compassion. Clark had to make Lana angry and heartbroken so she would (of course) run to Lex's sexy arms.
                          Now Lana and Lex can start a " Deeply Bitter Ex-Friends/Lovers of Clark Kent Club". They can bond over the pretty- but-secretive farm boy who broke their hearts.

Originally posted by vyperman7
                          I personally liked the way they handled it. It would have been boring and lame to have Clark pull another "Lana I will always love you, but I can't keep hurting you. No matter how much I love you, we can't keep doing this to each other" Blah, blah, blah...
                          But he did say almost word for word, only to Chloe about Lana.

Originally posted by voytek

I don't have amesia and I remember the last five seasons. Clark has been all about Lana. And even when she was with other guys, it was clear she really wanted to be with Clark. I can't stand how they are writing Clark. They are making him deliberately obtuse. I can't stand him now. Clark is a lying, insensitive jerk. He couldn't even break up with her right.
                          Last edited by FotW; 03-31-2006, 03:25 AM.

Comment

I know what everyone means! He completely crushed her and LIED to her -again!- just so he wouldn't have to continue lying to her. I hate to break it to you Clark, but if you don't tell her your frickin secret like a good boy, you're always gonna have to lie to her.
                            And I still dont' get why he broke up with her, and why he did the way he did. He loves her so much, and she loves him too, and they were finally back together, and then he just breaks it off. (?)

Comment

If Clana had to end at all, I expectd that Lana would be the one to break it off. But Clark did, and he was a completely insensitive idiot!

Comment

It was Selfless, somewhere in Clarks Heart and Mind he knows that Lana can never know his secret becuase of the Ramifications of 'Reckoning' and the affects to Lana of the first Meteor Crash.

This has happened in the Movie 'Spiderman 2', PP tells MJ that he dosent love her he was acting selfless to protect her, hell its even Happened in Harry Potter in HBP Harry Breaks up with Ginny becuase of the threat of Voldermort and the fact that he wants to protect her from everything.

Moving on, i think Lana has every right to be angry but she dosent even let Clark justify his actions (the comments i think were i don't want another ''Clark Kent'' Apology, if you love someone that much and you wanna break up you must justify why and that is what Clark tried to do.

From a personal point ive been dumped by 2 girls in more heartbreaking ways than this one by TXT for god sakes and the other just kept taking my heart and stabbing at it by dumping me without a reason so.

One more Point is Lana seems to do the same thing every time to Clark split with him go with another guy:

Season 3 splits with Clark and goes out with the Guy in Magnetic, Clark gets his heart broken (not his Fault no Red K, NO HYPNOSISI), Clark attempts to go out with Alicia, Lana get p'd.

Season 4: Same again they been apart, she goes out with Jason, once Again Breaking his Heart, he attempts to have one Relationship once again with Alicia (no outer force controlling Clark in Praiah) and what happens once again Lana takes it badly and completely ignores Clark and the girl dies for god sake.

Since Season 1 the Clark/Chloe/Lana triangle seems to reoccur
                                , Season 3 it is mentioned, Season 5 Lana knows Clarks being more honest with Chloe than her) but now Lex enters making this really a fued between a couple of Lana/Lex v Friends who have shared a secret Clark and Chloe.

THANK GOD CLANA IS OVER!!!!

Bring on Clark and Lois/Chloe v Lex and Lana

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎