Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by vyperman7
    Actually Trekker,

I beg to differ.

Clark and Lana were not friends last season at all. They stayed away from each other for the whole season up until Blank. Then from then on out, they were painted in the light of probably getting back together.

Lana was upset at Clark, especially after what happened in Transference. So he ignored him.
    in the 3rd episode of season 4 Lana came to clark and asked him about the drawings in the cave. Even though she came to see Jason - Lana had a friendly conversation in the 4rd episode. In episode 6she came to him to be quiet about Jason to save his job. In the 7th episode Lana defended Clark to jason when Jason was supposed to give him a drug test. At the end of #8 Lana came to applogize to clalrk for jumping to the conclusion that he got Jason fired...she said she should have known he would never do anything so cruel and she asked his help with the tatoo on her back. Lana came to clark to try and help in "scare" to find out why Jason and chloe were affected. They worked together to solve the problem. In sacred Lana went to china with Clark to find one of the stones. She said that despite everything the 2 people she trusted to help her were Lionel and Clark. In onyk Lana came to clark after her confrontation with lex...she was upset and clark was the only one she could talk to. In spirit Clark came to the hospital to see about dawn and saw lana and asked how she was and she was gratefull for clark's concern..later she came to the prom to share a dance with clark.

I think you can see by these examples the flaw in your arguement. While they lana sometimes didn't like clark alot...she always loved him. She just didn't trust him to tell her the truth. But, She always knew that when she was in trouble...he was the one she could go to and get the help she needed. Then after the prom they were together for the rest of the season and then they reconciled in the season premiere of season 5.

Any questions.

Comment

• Hypnotic was definitely not the worst episode in 5 years. I liked it. I think its ridiculous to call it the worst ep in 5 years.

Comment

• The worst BIG episode maybe

Originally posted by Watching Smallville
        I didn't feel slapped, and I'm a fan. For people who were waiting for Clark and Lana to solve their relationship, then this episode was probably very disappointing. But for me this show is not about Clark and Lana -- it's about Clark Kent becoming Superman. I'm glad to see them get on with that story.
        The worst episode from a purely quality standpoint was probably 'Ageless', or 'Spell'. However, those were pure filler episodes. They didn't change the status quo, nor were they designed to. You can happily ignore them.

'Hypnotic' was different. This was apparently the end of the Clana. Love it or hate it, the Clana has been a key element to the show from the Pilot onward. TPTB knew from Day One that they were going to need to end the Clana at some point, so they have had five and a half years to think about this episode and this is what we got. Ugh.

Comment

• Re: The worst BIG episode maybe

Originally posted by dhacker615

'Hypnotic' was different. This was apparently the end of the Clana. Love it or hate it, the Clana has been a key element to the show from the Pilot onward. TPTB knew from Day One that they were going to need to end the Clana at some point, so they have had five and a half years to think about this episode and this is what we got. Ugh.
          That is the point I've been trying to make. You are one of the few to actually admit the truth. There was any number of ways to endl Clana if that is what has to happen. To do it this way just shows that they have no idea what the fans of smallville want.

Comment

• Originally posted by hanemg
            I have to say, in my own opinion it was either the worst episode ever or at least among the bottom 5. Maybe I’m just tired of the same old nonsense being repeated over and over again, but sometimes I think the writers just have no clue how to structure things and not only don’t think 5 steps ahead, but don’t think at all.
            Look, perfect would be if the McGuffins that they were using from season-to-season fit together in some way. If there was a moment when everything Jor-El had done to date was put in context and made perfect sense, for example.

I am not asking for perfect. The various threads are too disjointed at this point. It would take an Alan Moore level genius to unravel it. However, would be nice if the arcs made sense within the same season.

I knew that Clark and Lana would eventually break up, but when they did I at least thought the entire matter would make sense.

First of all, why wouldn’t Clark tell Lana his secret? We and he both know that she would take it well because he already told her in one version of history on the show and she not only took it well, but agreed to marry him. I mean even ignoring the fact that in “Reckoning” it would have made much more sense for him to have still told Lana the second time and simply warned her about Lex (I mean seriously, “honey, I have super powers and I’m an alien” is OK, but for God’s sake don’t tell her you traveled back through time and why?!), but why couldn’t he tell her now? There’s never been a good reason for this.
            That is an amazing point. 'Reckoning' was a vastly better episode than this one, but it was the start of the problem. What Clark did in the last half of that episode made no sense and, therefore, created a new status quo that made no sense. "Hypnotic" was just the pathetic result of that.

Secondly, for me at least I need to see why Lois ends up being “the one” when Lana didn’t. I don’t want to see her as the consolation prize because he couldn’t be with Lana. That’s stupid. Clark and Lana needed to not work simply because of Clark and Lana not because “well, duh, if only I had figured out how to juggle my public and secret identities before I could have been with Lana. Oh well, at least I have Lois I guess.” Again, that’s stupid.

Maybe I’m just frustrated at this point, but I think the writers have done a poor job so far with the overall story. Sure, there have been plenty of really good standout episodes, but as far as keeping any long range plan in mind to move things along …well, I haven’t seen it.
            I would phrase it another way, Clark and Lana still have unfinished business. They did a great job in the first two seasons creating a rationale for the Clark-Lana relationship, but they have done a less good job of keeping them apart. Lana is fragile and shares the sense with Clark of being alone and different. Clark loves her because he feels like he can protect her and that she empathizes his alien nature on some level.

As long as Lana is still looking outside herself for someone to save her and Clark still thinks that he can change her internal world, they are always going to be drawn together. Any break-up that doesn't resolve that aspect of their relationship is fake. That is why TPTB need to go to the OOC drawer of magic tricks (memory loss, mind control, etc.) to break them up.

Clark’s going to be a world class journalist, but so far I haven’t seen him writing since sometime in early to mid high school and I never really saw an interest despite his lame essay to his principal. The same with Lois.

I understand that they want to show all of the main characters as being far from their eventual destinies, but they still need to at some point at least show a direction beginning to form. Drawing out a storyline for an original series is one thing, but even when you’re dealing with fictional characters when the overall story is known to the general population it gets silly after awhile. It would be like George Lucas doing 20 prequels to Star Wars and never once showing any hint of Anakin’s volatile personality just to give the illusion of keeping us guessing only to suddenly end it with a rushed footnote that “…and Anakin decided to turn to the Dark Side and kill all of the other Jedi. The End.”
            Who knows how long "Smallville" will run, but it is safe to assume that we are past the half-way mark. Clark doesn't feel anywhere close to be in half-way to where the show is supposed to be taking him. Lex has moved along more steadily, but they are really struggling with keeping him consistent.

Look, I can live with breaks in the cannon. I have gotten used to Lois pushing coffee at the Talon,etc. However, what got me hooked on the show was seeing the big moments that lead Clark to Superman. The end of the Clana was supposed to be one of them I thought. Seeing handled in such a ham-handed manner makes me wonder if I am going to see my faith in this show rewarded.

Comment

• Re: Re: The worst BIG episode maybe

Originally posted by treker
              That is the point I've been trying to make. You are one of the few to actually admit the truth. There was any number of ways to endl Clana if that is what has to happen. To do it this way just shows that they have no idea what the fans of smallville want.
              I don't see a truth or non truth. But I'll go with point of view.

I found their break-up, after all they'd been through, completely believable. I don't have any emotional investment in Clana, so it didn't upset me. It just looked realistic. Like a real breakup. They're not pretty.

Comment

• I thought the ep was okay. As for the stupid things that happen in the storylines that sort of thing always happens in TV. Characters ALWAYS do stuff that just wouldn't happen in life, but we accept it cus its tv and it always happens....worst ep in my opinion was either Ageless or Fanatic...

Oh really off topic but I was watching some DVD's of seasons 2/3 and the whole thing with Jor-El giving JK super powers to bring Clark home and then screwing up his heart and eventually killing him......its just occurred to me that that was REALLY STUPID!!!! Er.......JK.....get some kryptonite....walk up to Clark.....take off the Red-K ring.......hey presto you didn't die!!! Has that occurred to anyone else before?!!

Comment

• This was not the worst episode but not the best one either. I think Bound, Lucy, and Ageless were the worst episodes ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by red-K glory
                    This was not the worst episode but not the best one either.
                    Exactly! This was actually ok. The Clark and Simone ickiness was probably the worst scene in the history of Smallville! But I enjoyed the rest of the episode.

Clana break-up: well I'm glad it's finally over but I agree that it was handled a bit dodgily. But to be honest, Clana relationship shouldn't have happened in the first place as it's only brought angst and trouble to both of them.

I don't see this as a filler episode at all because it had elements of all the different stories in Smallville at the moment. It's actually made me look forward to future episodes!

Comment

• It was not the worst episode as far as the storylines but it had a terrible lasting effect because of the Clana breakup. It also continued to a larger degree the downward trend of poor ratings. It followed a strong Cyborg episode with bad promos and a terrible Lex manipulation of Clana plot.
                      Hypnotic may one day be referred to as the beginning of the end of SV. Ratings must improve.

I'm glad we have Al/Miles to tell us what a great season it's been and how sexy Hypnotic was, in their opinion. I still can't bring myself to watch it again and it has been 1/2 a year.
                      Last edited by Fly by guy; 08-13-2006, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Out of five years I agree with you, it was the worst episode ever. I don't think that the people who create smallville really understand that most of the fans come from clana. I think next season they are going to wonder why their aren't as many viewers. They don't realize that Smallville was built around clana and without the show is going to slowing come to an end. Some people will watch it, like me to see if their could ever be another clana but since that episode I'm not to sure. Even though I heard that Lana was going to learn his secret this year. Maybe they'll get back together, the shows ratings would definitely go way up!

That's my point of view.

Comment

• Not the worst, but definitely not the best!

I wouldn't say this episode is the worst-- that would go to the handful of satanic episodes from the latter part of Season 4-- but if it wasn't for Professor Fine's return, this episode would have been absolutely worthless! As I have on my profile, I have recently taken a liking to James Marsters. He's on my desktop, my cell phone screensaver, and my blue vintage locket.

That "I don't love you anymore" just about sliced my heart in two! And why couldn't Clark lose Lana to someone as good-natured as Jimmy Olsen? I think the Clana (which I am also a fan of) thing should have ended with Lana finding the right man and Clark lamenting only for awhile and then moving on because he would have known that at least she was in good hands.

Comment

• Didn't see anything wrong with this episode, I personally liked it because lana and clark broke up =)

Comment

• The episode was definately not the worst! That award goes to Thirst & Visitor.

Comment

• Its my favorite episode is season 5 but not my favorite ever

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎