Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventures of Superman (1950's TV Show)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jon-el87
    The show ended in september, 1958, so they didn't exactly have much to choose from.

You know, Brainiac was introduced in july, of that year. Bizarro first appeared a month, after the show ended. General Zod didn't appear until three years later (Darkseid, 12 years). Metallo was created, in 1959. Basically, most of the villains, that Supes have got today, were created either towards the end of the show's original run or since the show ended.

All they had to choose from was really:
    * Lex Luthor.
    * The original Ultra-Humanite (which they couldn't use. As at this point, he had only transplanted his brain, into a woman's body (the albino gorilla form wasn't introduced, until the 80's). Meaning, they would've featured a character, who'd undergone a sex change. Too controversial, for 1950's television, especially as the show was aimed at children).
    * Toyman (who wouldn't have fitted into their serious tone).
    * The Prankster (same there).
    * Mr. Mxyzptlk (who's magic would've been too expensive, for the show's budget).
    What a great post. Can't believe I waited until now to drop back in this thread.

I guess with the end of Smallville, and the dropping off of posters, it would be silly to try and get some life in this thread.

I need to try and find a message board for all things Superman/Batman/Justice League. And one that doesn't skimp on AOS.

Comment

For my birthday, I got seasons two through six of “The Adventures of Superman.” I already had season one, which I loved, so this gave me the opportunity to finally watch the entire series.

I enjoyed the entire run of the show, but I will say that to me, the grittier black and white episodes were more fun to watch than the more kid-friendly color episodes. I think my favorite episode was probably “Human Bomb,” where Lois is handcuffed to a man with a bomb strapped to him. Other favorites of mine included “The Haunted Lighthouse,” “The Monkey Mystery,” “Night of Terror,” “The Stolen Costume,” “The Clown Who Cried,” “Clark Kent, Outlaw,” “The Wedding of Superman,” and “Disappearing Lois.”

I thought that George Reeves made an amazing Clark Kent/Superman. I loved that Clark Kent was portrayed as a great character in his own right rather than just Superman’s disguise. It reminds me of how Dean Cain's Clark Kent would later be portrayed on “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.” Clark was such a great character, in fact, that I could have easily seen a show revolving around him and his friends at the Daily Planet even if he wasn’t Superman.

Phyllis Coates and Noel Neill were both great as Lois Lane. It’s hard for me to pick a favorite between the two, but if I had to I think I like Noel Neill just a little bit more. One thing I thought was interesting was that this Lois suspected Clark was Superman on several occasions, getting rid of the ‘galactically stupid’ image you might give to some other versions of the character. It was an interesting twist.

I enjoyed Jack Larson as Jimmy Olsen. I thought he added a nice comedic touch to the show. John Hamilton also made a good Perry White. Some of the funniest scenes involved Jimmy and Perry.

I thought that Inspector Henderson was a good addition to the Superman story. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one since the character eventually appeared in the comics and on “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.” I liked him because he provided Clark with a friend outside of the Daily Planet staff.

Are there any other thoughts on this interpretation of the Superman story?
      Last edited by Lois_Lane_Fan; 12-20-2012, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I love this show. I just received S2 for christmas and its just fun. Sure cheesy at times, horrible special effects and fairly predictable stories, but that's how they wer ein the 50's. He's still a great Superman and a GREAT Clark Kent.

In Episode 1 of S2, "Five minutes to Doom" Clark grabs a bomb and rolls out of the car, effectively blowing up the front of his suit leaving him exposed as Supes. Lois throws him a coat and he puts it on, with no glasses he looks right at Lois! I love things like that. The glasses disguise is flimsy at best but when you blantantly talk to people without them on!! lol.

I really do wish Reeves could've known the affect he had on people and still does today.......

Comment

I just got Season 1 a few weeks ago, and I've really enjoyed it thus far. As I get older, I appreciate cheese more and more. Hence, the multitude of episodes that end with a joke about Clark being Superman just make me smile. Of course, not everything's cheesy. There are some genuinely well written episodes, and I haven't even finished the season yet. It must have been cool to watch this as a kid in the '50s.

Reeves does a really good job. And I like the abundance of Clark.

Comment

Originally posted by nate-dog1701d
            ..... Reeves does a really good job. And I like the abundance of Clark.
            I agree, I appreciate it being more Clark and just a little Superman, just like LnC. Just like I appreciate Clark being a hard nosed newspaper man that doesn't take guff.

Comment

Just Finished S2 of "Adventures" some great stuff including one of the fan favorites (Sienfelds and more) "Terror in the Sky" where the asteroid causes Supes to lose his memory (stolen by LnC). Great ep, great scene where Clark isn't wearing his glasses and the entire gang comes over to his apartment to talk to him. Jack Larson in the commentary stated that he kept asking why they wouldn't recognize him. George told him to not open a "keg of beans" and Noel told him they didn't recognize him cuz "they didn't want to lose their jobs", lol.

Noticed that Reeves seems to wear a pinky ring that he forgets to take off as Clark. Throughout S2 it kept appearing on his left pinky.

Comment

The 1950s Superman series is where I got my first exposure of Superman. It's been a while since I last saw it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lois_Lane_Fan
                  For my birthday, I got seasons two through six of “The Adventures of Superman.” I already had season one, which I loved, so this gave me the opportunity to finally watch the entire series.

I enjoyed the entire run of the show, but I will say that to me, the grittier black and white episodes were more fun to watch than the more kid-friendly color episodes. I think my favorite episode was probably “Human Bomb,” where Lois is handcuffed to a man with a bomb strapped to him. Other favorites of mine included “The Haunted Lighthouse,” “The Monkey Mystery,” “Night of Terror,” “The Stolen Costume,” “The Clown Who Cried,” “Clark Kent, Outlaw,” “The Wedding of Superman,” and “Disappearing Lois.”

I thought that George Reeves made an amazing Clark Kent/Superman. I loved that Clark Kent was portrayed as a great character in his own right rather than just Superman’s disguise. It reminds me of how Dean Cain would later be portrayed on “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.” Clark was such a great character, in fact, that I could have easily seen a show revolving around him and his friends at the Daily Planet even if he wasn’t Superman.

Phyllis Coates and Noel Neill were both great as Lois Lane. It’s hard for me to pick a favorite between the two, but if I had to I think I like Noel Neill just a little bit more. One thing I thought was interesting was that this Lois suspected Clark was Superman on several occasions, getting rid of the ‘galactically stupid’ image you might give to some other versions of the character. It was an interesting twist.

I enjoyed Jack Larson as Jimmy Olsen. I thought he added a nice comedic touch to the show. John Hamilton also made a good Perry White. Some of the funniest scenes involved Jimmy and Perry.

I thought that Inspector Henderson was a good addition to the Superman story. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one since the character eventually appeared in the comics and on “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman.” I liked him because he provided Clark with a friend outside of the Daily Planet staff.

Are there any other thoughts on this interpretation of the Superman story?
                  Wish I had read this post earlier, but.....

This is a very good take on the show. It reminds me of the several times I heard Jack Larson opine that if George Reeves could just play Clark Kent, he would have enjoyed being in the show.

Said it before, I'll say it again, Reeves is my favorite Superman. Yep, I've seen 'em all.

Comment

Nearly a year since I posted here...a shame!
                    Anyone watching this series at the moment?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Amen11.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	6627853

Comment

George Reeves was born 100 years ago today.

Comment

Originally posted by RightWingConspirator
                          Nearly a year since I posted here...a shame!
                          Anyone watching this series at the moment?
                          I recently aquired season 2-6, but haven't had time to check them out yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
                            George Reeves was born 100 years ago today.
                            I love stuff like that! Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I also just got seasons 2-6 (had season 1 for a year or two). I've watched the first six episodes of season 2 thus far.

Comment

Really quiet on this thread in the past couple of years. I'd have thought a mention would be made of the recent passing of Noel Neill, Lois Lane from the TV series (aside from 1st casting of Phyllis Coates). Noel was 95.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎