Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Adventures of Superman (1950's TV Show)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Adventures of Superman (1950's TV Show)

Does anyone know if they ever showed George Reeves doing the classic "shirt rip" to turn into Superman, or did he always just loosen his tie?

I used to watch that show religiously years ago. I don't remember him ever doing a prominent shirt-rip. He kind of entered a store room, and then was seen jumping out the window. The whole change thing was usually implied by moving tie and taking off glasses.

Comment

Yeah, he never really did the shirt rip. Sometimes, (as in the episode where he lost his memory) he was seen taking his shirt off with his back towards Jimmy or something and it was on underneath. Usually they never showed him actually ripping the shirt off.

Comment

Yeah, that was a comic book/Christopher Reeve move, the shirt ripping.

I like how classy it is just to show him taking off his glasses and loosening his tie.

I mean, you know what's going to happen and it really is more powerful not to see him rip the shirt off...

Comment

You're probably right, but it's one of my favorite Superman moments in any show. It seemed like it took Clark forever to do it in L&C, then he finally did it in the Asteriod/amnesia episode.

Comment

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love to see it. I'll be a little disapointed if it doesn't happen in Superman Returns.

I just think that the loosening the tie is pretty cool. Also, it would be pretty fresh if it was used nowadays. Mr. Reeve was the last to do it in the fifties right?

Comment

Yeah I think George Reeves is the only actor portraying Clark who just did the tie. At least I can't remember any other instance.

Comment

SUPERMAN 50s TV Show

Thought it was a great show especially growing up.
                Last edited by LexLuthorMetropolis; 03-04-2006, 09:41 PM.

Comment

I use to watch this show all the time when I was young. I just recently bought season 1 and have watched a few episodes but wondered if any of these stories were based on stories from the comics?

Comment

I never saw it.

Well, except now. I have season 1 and 2. It's really the next step up from the radio show...a lot of the same gags.

But I really like it, especially season 1.

Comment

I'm sure some of them are based on the comics, but probably few of them. Most of those episodes were Superman fighting "real crime" whereas the comics had super villians, and super powered stuff happening all the time.

The most Supes ever fought in the series was the occasional mad scientist....

But thats my recollection....I've only just watched Season 1 again and its been years since I saw any of the others.

Comment

I really like season 1 so far. (That's the only one we have right now) I read somewhere that this season is considered 'darker' then others. Has anyone else heard that? I'll have to find where I read that. But I remember the article mentioning specificly the episode with the little girl that writes to Superman. I didn't think that was a 'dark' episode or story. But I don't remember the other seasons all that well.......
                        Besides refering to that episode I actually liked it. I liked the ending a lot, and I remember when I was little writing my own letter hoping Superman would take me out flying

Comment

I think it's the dvd extras themselves that talk about season one being darker,although; I think they were talking about Season 2 as well. At least what I got out of it was the b&w eps had a darker tone to them.

Comment

I loved that old tv show with George Reeves.
                            A while back on Biography they had his life story on that. I recorded it on video. But now I can't find my copy. I always thought Reeves was so cool as Superman. One of my favorite
                            I Love Lucy tv shows is with him on that playing Superman.
                            That show was on last week on tvland. I really though liked
                            Noelle Noel playing Lois Lane better than Phillis Coates who played Lois first. I don't know why she left the show though.
                            Superman is my favorite superhero.

Comment

Why did Phyllis leave the show??
                              You know what's funny is when I was little I never noticed that it was a different person playing Lois, just that for some reason I thought after Noel was on the show that Lois smiled more......hey, I was 8 at the time

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎