And Now It All Begins

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

i second that

Comment

YAY!!! 2 updates!!!!! and AMAZING ones at that!!!

PPMS!!!!

Comment

Chapter Eleven – Bedmates

“Alright, you just relax right there while I run the hot water.”

Lois left Clark leaning against the toilet while she quickly turned the hot water knob on. The water spurted a second before bursting into a long stream of steam. Lois felt the fatigue kicking in but she fought it off. She had more important things to do like nurse her farm boy back to health, that is, until Martha came back and did a much better job.

Turning back to Clark. “Let’s get you warmed up.”

Lois briefly hesitated before beginning to unbutton the flannel shirt Clark was wearing. It was soaked through with mud and rain. Once his flannel shirt was thrown to the side, his undershirt followed. Lois then unlaced his heavy workman’s boots and wet socks.

“My what big feet you have. But, I already know that saying is true when it comes to you, Smallville. Big feet…Big…”

“Lois.”

She hid a smile. At least she knew Clark was listening to her now. Kneeling next to him, Lois eyed him wearily before resting her hands on his belt. “It looks like we’re going back to the clothing optional stage of our relationship. But, I’ll have you know that I take no enjoyment in this and that it is all for your benefit.”

Clark opened one eye to look at Lois. She could swear she saw his lip curl up in a smile for a split second. “Why do you always get to see me naked? When do I get a turn?”

As Lois worked Clark’s jeans off his long legs, she smirked. “Never gonna happen, Smallville. Now, can you try to stand?”

Lois once again slipped under one of Clark’s arms and together they got him up. Clark was feeling some of his strength coming back but he nearly toppled back over when Lois left him. She grabbed onto him and helped him over to the bathtub. The water began to hit Lois in the face and wet her already drenched clothing.

“This isn’t working as well as I thought it would. Okay. Clark, I’m just going to sit you down on the edge of the tub for a second. Can you stay up?”

“I think so.”

Lois helped Clark slowly sit down. She then quickly shed her own boots and clothes until she was clad only in her underwear and bra. Clark had a hard time keeping his eyes off Lois. This time he did manage a smile. Raising an eyebrow. “Butterflies?”

Lois forgot that she had worn her lacey underwear and bra set that day. The set with the little butterflies all over it. She turned a slight shade of pink. “You ever mention this to anyone and I swear that I will make your life hell.”

“It’s cute.”

“Cute? That’s so gross!”

“Forgot. Lois Lane doesn’t do cute.”

“Cut the chit chat, Smallville. Remember the shower you desperately need?”

Lois swung Clark’s legs over the edge of the tub and helped him sit down. She sat behind him. They both gratefully accepted the warm water that washed over them.

Forcing herself out of her reverie, Lois grabbed the bath sponge and washed Clark’s back and shoulders. He seemed to be enjoying his own position, resting against Lois’ chest. Lois shut off the water just as Clark was falling asleep.

“Do we have to get out?”

“Yes. You need to get into some dry pajamas and get some sleep.”

Toweling him off, Lois first noticed that Clark didn’t have a single scratch, bruise or cut on his body. Looking at her own reflection in the steamed up mirror, she was not going to be so lucky. She could already see the makings of both a fat lip and black eye. There were tiny scratches and bruises covering nearly every inch of her body.

“You wanna tell me how it’s possible that you don’t have a single scratch on you while I look like death warn over?”

Clark’s eyelids were growing heavy. But he managed to mumble out. “You look beautiful.”

Lois snorted. “The hell I do. I guess all your injuries are internal, especially to your head.”

Lois helped Clark get into a pair of long flannel pajama pants and a cotton t-shirt. She was still wrapped in a towel wearing her wet under garments. “Now that you’re all nice and dry, I need to get dressed too. But no peeking. Got it?”

Clark silently nodded his head.

“Alright then. You just keep those green eyes closed.”
        “Blue. My eyes are blue.”

“No they’re not. They are a green with some blue specks.”

“Never knew you took the time to check me out so closely, Lois.”

“You wish.”

Lois finished drying herself off. She stood with her back turned to Clark. Slipping out of her bra, Lois never noticed the pair of eyes fixed on her bare back. She quickly slipped into yet another one of Clark’s flannel shirts. Her underwear joined the muddy pile of clothing on the bathroom floor. She bent over to put on a clean pair of boy shorts giving Clark a nice view of her backside.

Clark couldn’t help but grin widely. Lois turned back to Clark while toweling off her hair. She noticed the megawatt smile on his face and scowled. “What’s with you?”

“Nothing. I finally got to see one of your assets. Now the scores evened out, a little.”

Lois smirked. “You still have so much to see, don’t ya, Smallville?”

“Is that an offer?”

Lois grabbed Clark and helped him up. “I can see you’re feeling better. And, by the way, shut up, farm boy.”

Lois was too tired to drag Clark back down the stairs and settle him on the couch so she led him to his bedroom. She helped him in and covered him up to his chin. Clark was asleep as soon as his head hit the pillow. Lois sat on the edge of the bed and just watched him for a minute. She finally let herself relax. Without warning, tears welled up in her eyes. Lois quickly got up and left the room.

Downstairs, Lois tried to compose herself. She continued to towel off her hair as Shelby pawed at her leg. The sneezing soon followed. Lois looked at the clock and nearly gasped. It was nearly noon, yet it was still pitch black out. This truly was a strange night-day. She wondered where Martha and Jonathan were. She felt bad that she couldn’t get word to them somehow. Looking down at Shelby, a thought formed in her head. Lois tore a piece of paper off the pad and scribbled down “Clark okay and back home. Lois.” and then she tied it to Shelby’s collar. Opening the door, she leaned down to the dog’s level.

“Alright, Shelby. (sneeze) I need you to be super dog here. (sneeze) I need you to go find the Kents. (sneeze) Can you do that?”

Shelby stared deep into Lois’ eyes for a moment before barking and running off into the dark. Lois had to believe that Shelby would find them.

Hair dry, Lois went back up to check on her patient. She found Clark still asleep, but trembling furiously. Giving him extra blankets didn’t resolve the problem. Not even a hot water bottle at his feet did the trick. She paced the room.

“Think Lois. How do you bring up body temperature?”

Lois recalled the General’s words “Body heat is the best method of raising body temperature, Lo.”

Lois took one quick look at Clark before making up her mind. There was no way she was going to let him die after all of her hard work. Lois pulled back the covers and undressed Clark. On any other occasion, seeing Clark Kent stark naked in his bed might elicit a different response from Lois, but at the moment, Clark Jr. was the furthest thing from her mind. She shed her own clothes but kept the boy shorts on.

“Please don’t wake up. Please don’t wake up.”

Lois figured if she laid with Clark for half an hour that would do the trick and he would never be the wiser. Ever so carefully, Lois crawled over Clark before gently lowering herself on him. She pulled the cover over top of both of them. She gently rubbed his arms to create more warmth. Resting her head under his chin, Lois couldn’t help but notice how nice this felt. Clark was big and well-sculpted. He nearly dwarfed her and that took a big man.

Lois could feel the shivering subside in Clark’s body. Her mind focused on the rise and fall of Clark’s chest. No. She had to stay awake and leave before Clark woke up.

That was the last thought Lois remembered having before falling asleep.

As Clark came out of his sleep, he had the sense of something against his chest. It wasn’t heavy by any means. It was strangely comforting. Clark realized his hands were wrapped around something soft and warm. His fingers were actually moving up and down some delicate surface. It wasn’t silk, but something equally as fine. Shifting his head, Clark came into contact with another material that smelled like apples.

Opening his eyes, Clark was met with the biggest surprise of his life. Lois Lane was sleeping on top of him. Clark realized that he had been stroking her naked back with his hands. He was about to stop but found that he didn’t want to. She was so incredibly soft. Clark was surprised that he didn’t feel panicked at finding himself in bed with Lois. Not the way he had with Alicia. It felt right with Lois. Clark let his hands roam from the curve of Lois’ lower back up into her long hair. His fingers tangled up in her hair and he inhaled the scent of her.

Clark prayed that Lois wouldn’t wake up because something told him that this wasn’t for him to know.

Then Lois stirred. She lifted her head to look up at him. Their eyes met in the darkness. Lois opened her mouth to say something but Clark stopped her with a finger on her lips. Lois broke their gaze and looked down before looking back into his eyes. Her hand came out from under the covers and softly stroked his hair before tracing along the side of his face. Clark was surprised to see tears fill Lois’ eyes.

“I’m so glad you’re okay.”

That simple sentiment meant the world to Clark. But the next one was even more profound.

“I was so afraid that I’d have to live in a world without you.”

Clark shook his head. “Never.”

Neither knew who made the first move, but their lips met in a soft kiss. Clark wrapped his arms around Lois’ waist while she held onto his face as the kiss deepened. They pulled away when Lois needed to catch her breath. Her eyes went wide with realization at what they had just done. She quickly got out of Clark’s bed and threw on his flannel shirt. She was buttoning it up when she felt Clark’s hand on her arm.

“Please don’t go, Lois. Just for tonight.”

She handed Clark his pajama in silence. When he was finished dressing, he sadly looked toward her, expecting her to leave. But instead, she crawled back into bed with him. His arms went back round her waist while Lois’ cheek rested against his chest.

Somewhere in a muddy corn field, a golden dog found two worried parents and brought them news that lifted their hearts. Their son was okay.

Comment

you must continue this fic... like now

Comment

Trying this again. I could've sworn I had already posted Chapters 12 and 13. Scratching head.

Chapter Twelve - Explanations

“Clark Joseph.”

He vaguely heard his name being called from some far away place. And it sounded a lot like his father’s voice.

“Clark.”

This time, the voice sounded like his mother. He slowly opened his eyes. Looking up, he saw both his parents staring down at him. Their expressions were a mixture of relief, happiness, and confusion. The first two Clark understood but the last.

Clark suddenly felt slight movement on his chest and heard a female moan. The night came rushing back to him. Running. Kryptonite. Falling. Dying. Lois. She had saved him. Hot shower. Sleeping together.

Good grief. Sleeping together! No wonder his parents were freaking out. Clark quickly looked down at Lois and then back up at his parents. Martha gave him a small smile before turning out of the room. Jonathan leaned against the doorframe. His gaze lingered on Clark for a little longer before speaking.

“Downstairs, son. Now.”

Clark nodded. When Jonathan left, Clark’s attention went back to Lois. His arms were still wrapped protectively around her. Clark decided to face the music downstairs alone and let Lois sleep. She must be exhausted after the craziness of yesterday. Clark held onto her for a moment longer before lifting her from him. He got out of bed and settled her in his place. Lois let out a small snort before snuggling deeper into the pillow. Clark caressed her hair for a second before leaning down and kissing her temple.

Walking down the stairs to the kitchen, Clark realized that last night had been the best night of sleep he ever had. A smile appeared on his face as he thought of the kiss Lois and he had shared. His parents weren’t the only ones he was going to have to have a serious talk with.

Clark came off the last step and was engulfed into a hug. His mom held onto him protectively. Clark rested his chin on the top of her head. “We thought…we were so afraid, Clark.”

“I’m okay mom.”

Jonathan joined his wife and son in the hug. Patting Clark on the back. “Promise us that you’ll never scare us like this again.”

“I’ll try.”

Separating, Martha guided Clark to a chair. “We looked everywhere for you last night.”

“I fell into Old Man’s crater.”

Jonathan frowned. “Above the North fields?”

“Yeah.”

“Why did you go there?”

Clark shrugged. “I don’t know. I wanted to get away, I guess. I was running and not really thinking where I was going. And then I started feeling sick but before I could get away from the kryptonite, I uncovered a whole bunch of it. That’s when I fell into the crater.”

“Couldn’t you get out?”

“There was more kryptonite at the bottom. There was so much of it. I couldn’t move.”

Clark looked into his mother’s worried eyes and knew the next thing he said was going to hurt her. “I was dying.”

Tears sprang to Martha’s eyes for the millionth time in the last two days. Jonathan gulped his back.

“I was exposed to the kryptonite for so long. At first I hoped someone would come get me. But the longer I lay there in agony, the more I hoped it would all end. All I could think about was the things I didn’t get to do. Tell Chloe the truth. Tell both of you that I loved you and how grateful I am that I had you as my parents.”

“Clark, we know that.”

“But I haven’t said it lately. I love you dad. I love you mom.”

“We love you too, son.”

Martha took his hand in her own. “We’ve loved you since the first moment we saw you.”

Jonathan sat down next to Martha. “I don’t understand, Clark. How did you get out of the crater?”

“Lois saved me.”

“How did she know where to find you?”

Clark had been asking himself that question since waking up that morning. “I had this…vision of her, but she wasn’t really there. And the next time I opened my eyes, she was there again. But this time, she was real.”

Jonathan’s eyebrows creased in worry. “Did you tell Lois about your powers?”

“Dad, I could barely breathe. The last thing I had the energy to do was answer the million questions Lois would have about my abilities.”

“Then how did the two of you get out of there?”

“Lois. She dragged me up the side of the crater. And then she carried me on her back here.”
            Martha and Jonathan exchanged glances. Jonathan then patted Clark’s arm.

“Well, however Lois managed to get you here, we’re just glad that you’re alright. How are you feeling?”

Clark massaged his shoulder a bit. “I feel worn out. But I’m glad to be alive. And I think I’m going to be fine.”

Martha smiled. “Do you want something to eat, Clark?”

Clark hadn’t noticed how hungry he was until his stomach growled in response to Martha’s offer.

“Food sounds really good.”

“Lois must be hungry too, seeing as she carried you all the way here.”

Jonathan frowned. “I think we should let Lois sleep. I’m going to have to have a talk with her when she does get up.”

“About what?”

“She disobeyed your mother and me. In fact, she lied to us.”

Martha brought the bowl of eggs she was scrambling to the table. “Jonathan, you can’t be angry at her. She saved Clark’s life.”

“But that doesn’t change the fact that Lois was dishonest.”

“No offense, dad, but we aren’t the most honest family around seeing as we’re all keeping my secret from Lois and most everyone else in town.”

“That’s different, son. We don’t want anyone taking advantage of you.”

“Yeah, I understand that. But Lois lied to you because she thought she was doing it for the right reason.”

Martha nodded. “I have to agree with Clark here. I don’t like lies, but Lois knew that we wouldn’t let her go look for Clark. And for some reason she knew where to look for him.”

“Then why didn’t she tell us that?”

“Maybe she thought we wouldn’t have believed her. I don’t know what her reasons are, Jonathan, but I am glad that she did lie. I’m glad that she was brave enough to go out there and risk her own life to find Clark. Don’t ever try to convince me Lois was wrong. Otherwise, Clark wouldn’t be sitting here with us today.”

Martha’s voice cracked on the last line. She abruptly turned her back on her husband and son so they wouldn’t see her tears. Jonathan got up and put his arms on Martha’s shoulders.

“You’re right, sweetheart. I’m sorry. I won’t say anything to Lois. But if she ever lies to us again…”

“She won’t. I trust Lois, Jonathan.”

“So do I, Martha.”

Clark watched his parents’ interact. Martha quietly bustled about preparing breakfast. Jonathan stayed close to her, helping ever so often, but mostly rubbing her shoulders or whispering something into her ear. Clark could only hope that one day he would share this kind of simple intimacy with someone. He was surprised to find himself hoping it would be Lois. Thoughts of Lois filled his head once again. Clark rested his chin on his hand as he thought of Lois and her butterflies. Lois standing over him with tears in her eyes. Lois willing him to live. The feel of Lois’ skin underneath his fingertips. Lois caressing his face. The kiss. He had kissed Lois Lane. Or she had kissed him. He wasn’t sure which it was. But that didn’t matter. All that mattered was that it had happened. Clark never expected it, nor did he even dare hope for it. But it was real. There was something between him and Lois. Something Clark wanted to explore further. Something that felt more important than anything he ever felt before. And that scared him.

“Earth to Clark.”

Clark snapped out of his thoughts to find his dad waving a hand in front of his face. Martha had placed a steaming plate of bacon and eggs in front of Clark. The fact that he hadn’t touched it for a full minute gave them cause for concern.

“Where did you go just then, Clark?”

Clark tried to act nonchalantly by shrugging his shoulders. He couldn’t, however, hide the slight shade of pink creeping up his neck coloring his face. Martha and Jonathan exchanged glances again.

“You mind telling your mother and me what exactly happened between you and Lois last night?”

Clark paused in his chewing. He swallowed hard. “What do you mean?”

“It’s not every night that we find a girl in your bed, at least, not when you’re in it as well. How did the two of you end up in the same bed, Clark?”

“Well, I’m not exactly sure. I remember Lois helping me from the bathroom. I know I was there by myself when I fell asleep. But, when I woke up in the middle of the night, she was there.”

Clark decided to keep their lack of undress at that stage to himself. His parents didn’t need to know that. It was bad enough they had been caught fully clothed that morning.
            “I guess Lois will have to explain this once she wakes up.”

Clark’s eyes grew wide. “Do you have to, dad? Nothing happened, I swear.”

Jonathan studied his son’s face for a minute. He turned to Martha. “What do you think Martha?”

Looking into her son’s eyes, she knew immediately that something had indeed happened between Clark and Lois, but not the something Jonathan was so worried about. She smiled at Clark reassuringly.

“I think we should trust them, Jonathan. And, I think when Clark is ready to tell us what did happen, we’ll listen.”

Clark appreciated his mother’s trust. “Thanks mom.”

Jonathan wasn’t happy being kept in the dark, but he would accept it, for now. Clark fiddled with the food on his plate. Jonathan opened the paper to read about the strange happenings of last night. Martha looked over the ledger for the Talon. Clark couldn’t believe they didn’t want to know what happened between him and Lois. Finally, he couldn’t hold it in any longer.

“Lois and I kissed.”

The newspaper slowly flopped over to reveal Jonathan’s face to Clark. Martha tried to hide her smile.

Clark jumped up from his seat and began to pace in front of his parents. Shelby walked alongside Clark. “Kissing Lois?” Looking at both his parents. “How did that happen?”

“I don’t know, son. You were the one that was there. We were hoping you could tell us.”

“I don’t know, dad! All of last night was like a nightmare. The first part anyways. The rest of it was so surreal. I have so many questions. How did Lois know where to find me? What was that vision I had of her? How could that tiny girl…woman carry me on her back?” Clark corrected his statement after noticing his mother’s annoyed look. “This is absolutely incredible.” Clark flopped back into his seat. “I mean, she’s Lois for crying out loud. A thorn in my side most of the time. A person who can see right through me other times. Someone I know won’t put up with any crap from anyone, but who will cry at sappy commercials when no one is looking. And someone I would never imagine myself falling for. Until yesterday.”

Jonathan chuckled.

“Thanks a lot, dad.”

“I’m sorry, Clark. It’s just that your mother and I saw this coming from a mile away.”

Clark’s head shot up. “You did?”

“You know they say that opposites attract.”

“Thanks a lot for cluing me in on it.”

“Would you have believed us if we told you?”

Grudgingly, he admitted. “No. Believe it or not, but Lana pointed this out the first day she saw Lois and me together. And Lex said something when I went to see him after his date with Lois. I just thought they were crazy.”

Martha leaned towards her son. “Have you fallen for Lois?”

Clark sighed. “It’s more than that, mom. When I woke up with her in my arms. I…” Smiling as he shook his head. “Nothing in my life ever felt so right. I haven’t just fallen for her. I’m in love with Lois.”

The silence in the kitchen was deafening. It went on for several minutes.

“Ughhhhh.”

Four pairs of eyes shot up to look towards the stairs. Three human. One canine. Lois barely carried her bruised and battered body down the stairs. Her hair was flattened against her face on one side and nearly sticking straight out on the other. One eye was nearly sealed shut from bruising. Her lower lip was swollen to twice its size. She only had the energy to slip on one bunny slipper. Locating the other one under Clark’s bed had been too trying. There were bruises on her neck and some on her lower legs, the only other part of her body visible under Clark’s flannel shirt. Lois painfully shuffled across the kitchen floor before collapsing into her place at the table. She dropped her head on the table with an unceremonious thump.

“Oh my god, Lois honey.”

Martha quickly got up and went to pour her some coffee. Jonathan gently put his hand on her shoulder. Lois yelped.

“Please, no touching. Every. Single. Part. Of. Me. Is. Bruised.”

Jonathan quickly removed his hand. Eyeing Clark. “You sure did a number on poor Lois here.”

Clark looked on with the guilt beginning to creep into his gut. “Lois, I’m really sorry.”

With her head still on the table. “You need to lose some weight. You weigh a lot more than you look.”

“Sorry.”

Martha placed the coffee in front of Lois. Sniffing the air a few times. The aroma was tempting but Lois didn’t have the strength to lift the mug.

“Do you want a straw?”

Lois gave Clark an evil glare.

“Maybe not.”

“Is there anything we can do for you, sweetie?”

“Put me out of my misery.”

“How about a massage?” Clark suggested.

“What part of ‘no touching’ do you not get farm boy? Have you ever heard of a massage without touching?”

“I was only trying to help.”

Lois grunted. “I know. If you thought my moods were bad before, you ain’t seen nothing yet. A Lane in pain is very bad. I think I just need some aspirin and a lot of sleep.”

Martha went to the cabinet for the aspirin. “I think that’s a very good idea, Lois. Clark will help you back upstairs.”

“I’m okay. I can get there on my own.”

To prove her statement true, she got up from the table. Taking two wobbly steps, she nearly toppled over Shelby. Clark caught her to steady her. Lois sighed. “Maybe a little help would be nice.”

It took a while for Lois to actually lay back down in the bed. Every movement elicited a yelp. Everything hurt. Finally, she was able to lay down in peace, with a pillow between her knees and holding onto the balled up comforter. Clark sat down on the bed.

“Lois, I wanted to thank you for saving me.”

“It was nothing, Smallville. You’ve saved my life more times than I can count. Actually, I think I could count the times, but, you know what I mean. You don’t have to thank me.”

“Regardless, what you did last night was pretty amazing.”

“Hmm.”

Was the only response. Clark debated about what he was going to say next, but he went ahead.

“Lois?”

“Hmm?”

“About the kiss.”

She opened one eye to look at him. “What about it?”

“I uh. I wanted to know…”

“Forget about it, Smallville. You were delirious.”

“Oh. So it was me that kissed you then.”

“Did you think that I kissed you?”

“I don’t really know what happened. I do know it was nice.”

“Burn it in your memory, Smallville, ‘cause it’s never going to happen again.”

Clark silently nodded his head before leaving the room. When she was sure he was gone, Lois opened her eyes. She could swear her heart was beating loud enough for him to have heard it. Lois sighed. She couldn’t believe Clark had the guts to ask her about the kiss. She was hoping he wouldn’t have remembered it. Lois was not ready to deal with the kiss, and what it had meant. Lois was not ready to admit that she had feelings that went beyond friendship towards Clark. Even though he was a great kisser.

Chapter Thirteen - Departure

Sleep would not come to Lois. No matter how exhausted and worn her body felt, Lois could not seem to keep her mind quiet enough to close her eyes. The events of yesterday kept replaying in her head. Every time she thought of Clark near death tears threatened to fill her eyes. Staring up at the ceiling, Lois wondered how this had happened to her. When had independent, self-sufficient Lois Lane become such an emotional sap?

Who was she kidding? When it came down to it only one thought really terrified her. Clark Kent had gotten in. The mild-mannered, somewhat sad and lonely farm boy had wormed his way into Lois’ heart. And she never saw it coming.

Lois attempted to roll on her side but found it too painful and uncomfortable. She forced herself into a seated position. Looking around Clark’s room, it was strange how quickly his room transformed into their room. Her clutter somehow fit with his red and blue plaid and astronomy items.

Grimacing Lois stood from the bed and shuffled to the small mirror mounted on the wall. She gasped at her reflection. It was ten times worse than yesterday. Lois looked like road kill.

Remembering Clark’s words from last night. Lois smirked. “Beautiful my butt.”

Studying the bruises and cuts on her face from every angle, Lois slowly brought her hand to her lips. Allowing herself to revel in the feeling of their kiss for one guilt free minute. A smile quickly formed on the lips Clark had caressed with his own earlier that morning.

Clark really was a good kisser. Lois didn’t know why she was surprised by that. She begrudgingly had to admit that he was good at everything else he did.

Snapping out of her thoughts. “Stop thinking about him. He’s just a farm boy who got carried away.”

Except he wasn’t the only that had gotten carried away. Lois would never admit it to anyone, least of all Clark, but she was the one that had made the first move. She initiated the kiss. She could never let anyone know.

Lifting her chin up. “Besides he’s in love with Lana. Not you.”

Then why had Clark asked her about the kiss? And why had his eyes been full of hope and expectation?

Lois sat back down on the bed. This was a complication she didn’t need in her life. She had enough trouble taking care of herself. What was she going to do with Clark? He was as lost and unsure of himself as she was.

But he was so sweet. He seemed to understand her, or at least try to when no one else bothered. He saw right through her tough exterior when Lucy had barged into her life. Clark had seen how much it hurt Lois that the General put all of his hopes and dreams into Lucy while expecting Lois to watch from the sidelines.

Lois took a deep breath. Then she admitted it to herself. She wanted Clark in her life.

“There that wasn’t so hard.”

Then images of Chloe crashed into her brain. Her cousin was in love with him. Lois sadly shook her head. There was nothing left to say. Lois would never ever hurt Chloe like that. She had seen the brief look of panic on Chloe’s face that day Lois wore Clark’s shirt.

Once again Lois was going to have to sacrifice what she wanted for a family member. She couldn’t even feel bitter about it. She had been playing this role since she was a kid. First it was all about Lucy. And now it had to be about Chloe.

This time Lois wouldn’t let the tears fall. Pulling the collar of Clark’s red and gold flannel shirt tighter around her. She inhaled his scent.

“Easy come, easy go.”

Martha watched in surprise as Lois placed two bags on the bottom step. Martha stopped wiping her hands in the dish towel.

“Are you going somewhere?”

Lois forced a smile. It came out a lopsided smirk. “I’m leaving.”

“Why now?”

Lois shrugged. “I’ve been mooching off your family for too long. It’s time I moved on.”

“Lois. You know that you’re welcome to stay here for as long as you like.”

“You have no idea how much I appreciate that, Mrs. Kent, but it really is time for me to go.”

Martha studied Lois for a minute. “Does your decision to leave have anything to do with what happened between you and Clark last night?”

Damn, Smallville has a big mouth. Martha could see the question caught Lois off guard. Martha gestured for Lois to sit down.

“You’ve been through a lot Lois. We’ve been through a lot as a family this past year. Make no mistake about it...” Martha placed her hand on top of Lois’. “…you are a part of this family Lois.”

Lois shook her head and rolled her eyes. “I’m not. I don’t deserve to be.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Because I almost got your son killed that’s why.”

“Oh Lois. You did no such thing. Believe me, Clark would be the first person to accuse you of that if it were true. No one in this house thinks that.”

“Just because you’re all nice about it doesn’t mean it isn’t true. Clark ran off because I opened my big mouth.”

“The two of you have gotten past that. Or am I wrong?”

“Clark told you about the kiss, didn’t he?”

Martha nodded. “Clark’s told us how he feels about what happened. Do you want to tell me how you feel?”

Lois chewed on her bottom lip. “Confused mostly. Shocked. And sad.”

“Why sad?”

“I know nothing will come out of it.”

“Have you and Clark talked about it?”

“He tried. I wouldn’t let him. Big surprise there.”

“Lois, you deserve to be happy.”

“It’s not about me, Mrs. Kent. I could never hurt Chloe. Not in a million years. And you know better than anyone how much this would tear her apart.”

Martha smiled sadly. “I figured that Chloe wasn’t over Clark yet.”

“It seems like any girl that falls for Clark doesn’t get over him. They either pine for him forever, or die. Seeing as I don’t want the latter to happen to Chlo, I’d rather her pine forever. And so long as she does that, I won’t have any part in hurting her.”

“What about what you want? And what Clark wants?”

Lois shrugged her shoulders. “It doesn’t matter. If my time with you has taught me anything, it’s that family comes first. Chloe is the only person on this planet who shares the same blood as me and feels like family. I won’t do anything to ruin that.”

“Then I feel sad for you…and my son.”

Lois smiled sadly. “Clark will get over me like that.” She snapped her fingers.

Martha gently squeezed Lois’ hand. “Then I’m afraid you don’t know my son very well. He’s going to hurt for a very long time.”

“Gee, dig in the knife a little deeper, Mrs. Kent.” Lois was trying to lighten the mood, but she knew it was only going to get harder once she stepped outside to face Clark.

Lois looked at Martha. “You’re the best woman I’ve met in my whole life, Mrs. Kent. I see how much Mr. Kent and Clark adore you. But they also respect you. And I wanted you to know that I adore and respect you too.”

Martha’s eyes filled with tears. “I feel the same way about you, Lois. I meant it when I said that you are the daughter I never had but always wanted.”

They sat in silence for a while. Martha wiped at her tears. “Do you have to go?”

Lois silently nodded. “I think I grew up a little with you. But now, I have to find my own place in the world.”

“I understand that. I do want you to know that the door is always open for you. And I expect you to keep in touch.”

Lois smiled. “Thanks. I’ll remember that.”

Lois stood up. One down. Two to go. Picking up her bags. Martha stopped her. Lois looked up.

“I love you Lois.”

Tears fell from both their eyes. Lois dropped her bags and embraced Martha. “I love you too…mom.” Lois whispered the last word so quietly she doubted Martha heard.

Lois ran out the door. Martha held her hands against her heart. “Goodbye, my girl.”

Jonathan saw Lois fly out the screen door. Her face was full of tears. And she held onto two bags. That could only mean one thing. He turned to look for Clark. He could barely see him in the far field mending the fence.

Jonathan made his way to the porch. Lois finished blowing her nose when he walked up.

“You going somewhere?”

Lois turned towards him. “Yeah. I thought I’d blow this pop stand.”

Sadness filled Jonathan’s eyes. The small smile fell from Lois’ face. “So much for humor.”

Jonathan leaned up against the railing. “I’m a good listener.”

“I know you are, Mr. Kent. And you’re a lot more.”

“Do you know where you’re headed?”

Sighing. “Not really. Metropolis maybe. To see Chloe for a bit. And then, who knows from there.”

“I’m sure Martha’s already covered all the reasons why you should stay.”

“She was tough.”

“I figured.” Jonathan took his work gloves off. “Listen Lois, I know that I don’t say things right when it comes to you.”

“You don’t have to say anything, Mr. Kent. It was enough that you put up with me all this time.”

“Don’t say that Lois. You helped my family when we needed it the most. We didn’t know where Clark was. Martha and I were both recovering from the meteor shower. You kept this family together, Lois. And I’ve wanted to thank you.”

“Don’t. Don’t thank me for something I wanted to do.”

“Thank you for giving Martha the daughter she’s always wanted.”

Lois shook her head. “Please don’t say anything else. This is too hard.”

Jonathan nodded. Instead, he pulled Lois into a hug. He rested his chin on the top of her head.

“I wanted to say one more thing.”

“Okay.”

“Thank you for giving me the daughter I’ve always wanted.”

Lois lost it. She buried her face in Jonathan’s chest and sobbed. Jonathan began to rock her gently. “Shhh. It’s going to be okay. You’re meant for great things Lois. We just have to be selfless enough to let you go. But know that wherever you go, there’s a home waiting for you whenever you need. We love you, Lois.”

She could barely get out the words. “I love you too.”

Lois felt a wet nose press against her hand. She looked down to see Shelby looking up at her. “I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but I love even you, Shelby.”

She slowly stepped out of Jonathan’s embrace. Wiping her tears and runny nose on the back of her hand. “Can I ask you for one last favor?”

“Anything.”

“Can you drive me to the bus station?”

“Are you sure you don’t want Clark to do it?”

“I’m positive.”

“Alright. I’ll put your bags in the truck. I’ll be in the kitchen when you’re ready to go.”

Lois nodded. She watched as Jonathan walked into the kitchen and straight into Martha’s waiting arms.

Two down. One to go.

His back was turned to her. Lois watched in awe as Clark gracefully hammered the wooden post into the ground. It was a sin that someone could look so good in a pair of blue jeans and a white t-shirt. But he did.

Lois took a deep, unsteady breath. “Show off.”

Clark grinned. He had heard her come up but didn’t turn around right away.

“It’s not showing off when you don’t know someone’s watching.”

Lois rolled her eyes. Sadly she realized it might be for the last time. “Well, I don’t want to keep you from your chores.”

Clark turned to face her. “I can do my chores any time.” He stopped smiling when he saw the dried tears all over her face. He quickly walked up to her. “What’s wrong?”

Shaking her head. “Nothin’.”

His hearing picked up his mom sobbing in the kitchen. He could hear his dad saying that Lois would keep in touch.

“Where are you going?”

Lois was startled by the question. “How did you know I was leaving?”

“Does it matter?”

“I guess not.” Lois pulled at one sleeve. “I wanted to say bye before I left. So, here I am. There you are.” She looked up at him briefly. “So long, Smallville.”

Lois turned away and began to walk away.

“That’s it? ‘So long, Smallville?’ That’s all I get?”

Lois stopped walking. But she didn’t turn back to him. “What else do you want?”

Clark stormed towards her. He nearly forgot himself and used his super speed. He slid one finger under her chin and tilted her face up to look at him. “Be honest with me.”

“About what?”

“About us.”

Lois furrowed her brows. She took a step back. “There is no ‘us’ Smallville. There’s you. And there’s me. And the twain shall never meet.”

The truth dawned on Clark. “This is about Chloe, isn’t it?”

“No. This is about me moving on. How long do you expect me to keep my life on hold and hide out on your parents’ farm? I need to make a life for myself, Clark. I need to figure out who the hell I am!”

“Well I need answers from you, Lois.”

“Answers to what?”

“How did you know where to find me last night?”

“I…I don’t know. Luck.”

“That’s crap!”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me. You knew exactly where to find me and I want to know how.”

They stared each other down. Lois saw that Clark was not going to let her leave without something that resembled the truth. “The bracelet.”

“What?”

“It was that bracelet in your nightstand.”

The color drained from Clark’s face.

“It was weird okay. There was some bright light coming from your nightstand and when I looked inside, the bracelet was glowing. When I touched it…when I touched it, I saw you. Go ahead, call me a freak and haul me off to the nearest loony bin.”

Lois turned away from Clark. He hadn’t said a word in a while.

“See, this is exactly why I didn’t want to tell anyone. It’s crazy.”

She was the one. She was his true one. Clark’s eyes began to fill with tears. All this time he thought he was destined to be alone. Now he knew. He was destined to be with Lois. Now all he had to do was convince her of the same thing. Piece of cake.

“I don’t think it’s crazy.”

“Well you’re probably the only one.” Turning back to him. “Besides. It doesn’t matter. The important thing is that you’re okay. And that I’m leaving.”

Clark stepped towards her. “No.”

“What?”

“You can’t go.”

“What do you mean I can’t go? I can go wherever I damn well please.”

This wasn’t going the way Clark had planned but knowing what he did now there was no way he could let Lois walk out of his life.

“Please, there’s so much we have to talk about.”

“No, Clark, there isn’t.”

“We kissed.”

“Yeah, I know. I was there remember? And I thought I already explained that to you.”

“You gave me some weak excuse to get me to back off. Guess what? It’s not happening. That kiss meant something to me, Lois. And I want to know what it meant to you?”

Crossing her arms across her chest. “Are you challenging me?”

“I just want the truth.”

“Oh, like you’re one to talk. I don’t see you being forthcoming with your secrets.”

“This isn’t about my secrets. This is about how we feel about each other.”

“You don’t know how I feel about you, Clark!”

“But I want to know.”

Lois didn’t like being cornered. She was already emotionally exhausted after her encounters with Martha and Jonathan. She had wanted a simple goodbye with Clark. But he was going to draw this out until they were both raw and exposed.

“You’re Smallville, okay! You’re the annoying pain in my butt who spends most of his time mooning over a girl he’s been in love with since he was five.”

Clark looked right into Lois’ eyes.

“Not anymore.”

Lois swallowed hard.

“That’s how I used to be. That’s how you used to feel about me. But that’s changed. I can see it in your eyes. If you can’t say it, Lois, then I’m going to have to.”

Lois sucked in her breath as Clark slowly approached her. Their eyes remained locked.

“The truth is…you care about me, Lois. The same way that I care about you.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Don’t I? Didn’t you tell me last night that you were afraid of living in a world without me?”

“That doesn’t mean I want to live with you. So I care about you. There, I said it. You’re like my little brother.”

Lois started to turn away but Clark pulled her into his arms. Before she could protest, he was bending his knees and gathering her up into his arms. His intense green eyes never left her own shocked hazel ones as his lips found hers. At first she was too shocked to respond, but slowly all thought stopped and feelings exploded. Lois wrapped her arms around his neck and melted into the kiss. The kiss seemed to last forever. It was more intense and passionate than the first kiss. Neither wanted it to stop. Lois felt like she was floating on air.

Little did she know, they were floating on air. Two feet off the ground. Clark slowly opened one eye and noticed their predicament. With his focus not completely on the feeling of Lois against him, he felt his feet touch earth again.

Noticing Clark slightly distracted brought Lois back to reality. She pushed away from Clark with all her strength. Both stood gasping for breath. Lois covered her mouth with her hand.

“I can’t believe you did that.”

Clark could only stand there grinning. His heart felt like it was going to explode. He didn’t know what Lois’ next action would be, but he certainly didn’t expect her to step up to him and deliver a loud slap across his face.

“Don’t ever do that again.”

She pushed past him and began walking to the farmhouse. Clark chased after her.

“Don’t do this. Don’t pretend like this means nothing to you.”

“You are so naïve, Clark. This isn’t just about you.”

“We’re back to Chloe then.”

Lois turned angrily to him. Pointing a finger. “You’re damn right we’re back to Chloe. She means everything to me, Clark. She’s my family.”

“We can make this work, even with Chloe.”

“The hell we can. Chloe is in love with you, Clark. This isn’t some stupid school girl crush she has going on.”

Clark closed his eyes.

“No. You don’t get to conveniently shut out the fact that my cousin is in love with you. You’ve selfishly disregarded it for all these years while you were pining for Lana. But you don’t get to do that with me. Chloe will always be in love with you. I will not be the one to break her heart.”

“But I’ve told Chloe over and over again that I don’t feel the same way.”

“Well, now the shoe’s on the other foot. I don’t want to be with you, Clark. Can you get that through your head?”

Clark shook his head. “I don’t believe you.”

“And how many times do you think Chloe has said the same thing about you?”

“It’s not the same.”

“Oh and why’s that?”

Clark shouted. “Because I’m not in love with her! I’m in love with you!”

Lois’ jaw dropped. Her ponytail flicked as she spun and ran at full speed away from Clark. He watched her go for a full minute before taking off after her. He caught up to her half way to the house. He pulled her against his chest.

“I’m not letting you go, Lois.”

“You don’t have a choice.”

“Why won’t you let yourself admit that you love me?”

Spinning around. “That’s arrogant of you. Don’t presume to know how I feel.”

Capturing her face in his hands. “Then tell me how you feel?”

“I…I…need to leave.”

“Why?”

“Because, I need to leave.”

“Don’t you see, Lois. You want to leave because you’re scared. You’re scared of how you feel about me. You’re scared of how you feel about us.”

Lois closed her eyes. Clark wasn’t going to make this easy. She was going to have to hurt him. And she knew exactly how to do it.

“You’re not the kind of guy I see myself with. You’re just a farm boy. You don’t have anything to offer me.”

She opened her eyes and saw the pain streaked across his face. Lois could see him beginning to believe her but it wasn’t enough.

“Why do you think I go out with men like Lex Luthor? They can offer me the world. Not just a small pitiful farm with smelly cows. Do you really picture me here, by your side? Scooping horse **** and getting blisters all over my hands? Do you really see me wearing an apron and cooking you three meals a day and being happy about it? That’s not what I want. And I would hate you for keeping me hostage in a life I don’t want.”

Clark let go of Lois. “You’re lying.”

“You don’t even know who you are, Clark. How the hell do you think you can build a life with anyone else? You need to grow up. You’re just a boy. I need a man. I…”

“Enough.”

Clark turned his back on her. His shoulders slumped. The tears fell down his face.

“Go.”

Lois reached her hand out to touch his back but stopped before making contact.

“Be happy, Clark.”

She mouthed ‘I’m sorry’ before walking into the house to get Jonathan. Clark never moved from his spot. He kept his back turned as Lois and Jonathan got into the truck. He stood and listened to the gravel crunch under the tires. He never looked back.

Lois leaned her head against the glass. Tears fell silently down her face. Her eyes were tightly shut. She softly whispered. “I love you, Clark.”

He didn’t hear her words. Clark could only hear the sound of his own heart breaking.

Chapter Fourteen – Time

Chloe Sullivan loved a challenge. She currently had one young billionaire set in her cross hairs. Nonchalantly pushing her way through the crowd of young journalists, she didn’t stop until she managed to find a spot right in front of one Bruce Wayne. The mysterious billionaire from Gotham City was in Metropolis for the annual Young Entrepreneur’s Convention. Ironically started by Metropolis’ very own golden boy, Lex Luthor four years ago. Everyone in the city wanted to get their hands on Bruce Wayne for one reason or another. Men wanted to learn his secrets. Women fantasized about the luxury and glamour that would come with being Mrs. Bruce Wayne. Chloe on the other hand, wanted to pin the young man down for an exclusive interview.

Bruce looked out at the crowd of thousands and wished he were anywhere but here. He felt obligated to attend the convention, as a personal favor to a life long friend. Bruce had met Lex when they were both in a Swiss boarding school. Lex was a year older than him, but at eleven, Lex had been rather scrawny. And the bald head didn’t help matters any. Bruce took it upon himself to teach Lex martial arts so he could fend for himself. They remained in contact ever since. Usually in an attempt to one up the other. Lex gleefully sent Bruce Forbes with him on the front. A full six months before Bruce had made it. Bruce returned the favor when he was chosen as the most influential bachelor under 25 a couple years back. One year ahead of Lex.

Bruce tucked his hand into his long black coat. Alfred spotted the sign from a mile away. Young Master Bruce was growing weary of the crowd. To be fair, he had been standing out in the below freezing temperature for the past five hours. He had only been scheduled for the first hour.

“Thank you all for coming. I hope to see many of you at the Ball this evening.”

Bruce walked off the stage to a series of sighs and protests. Silently, he walked across the snow towards his limousine. Flipping his phone open, he made a few important calls. Mainly to check on the activity occurring a mile below Wayne Manor. Ready or not, Gotham, here comes Batman.

“Interview for your thoughts?”

Bruce looked up startled to find a beautiful blond leaning against his limo. Alfred stood not five feet away looking perturbed. “I’m sorry, Master Wayne, I tried.”

“No problem, Alfred. Why don’t you go for a scone and some tea.”

“Very good, sir.”

Alfred eyed the spunky blond once more before turning in a huff. Bruce walked up to young lady. “I’ve seen you before.”

Chloe lifted her chin up. “Good memory, Mr. Wayne.”

“You’re a reporter. At least you’re trying to be one.”

The smile fell slightly from Chloe’s face. But she was determined to get her interview. Bruce continued. “You were in Gotham last year. As I recall, you snuck into one of my private events and tried to get an interview then too.”

“That’s right. Chloe…”

“Sullivan. Yes, I remember. I’d ask what I can do for you, but I already know the answer.”

“Oh really? What makes you so sure that I’m going to ask you for an interview?”

“I can read people really well. That and you’re holding a pencil and pad of paper in your hand.”

Chloe quickly put those behind her back.

“Oh. Right. Look, Mr. Wayne, you are currently the most fascinating person under the age of 30 in the world. You’ve successfully revived your family’s enterprise single-handedly. And yet, you’ve never once sat down for a one-on-one interview.”

“People already know what they need to about me.”

“That’s a joke, right? The public can never know enough.”

“And it’s your job to get everything for them.”

“Don’t get me wrong. I’m not a tabloid journalist. I look for the truth. I don’t care if that means it’s going to be boring or spectacular.”

Bruce studied the determination in the sparkling green eyes. She certainly was beautiful. And feisty.

“I’m meeting an old friend for dinner tonight. If you manage not to annoy him in the first five minutes, then you’ll have my full attention for one hour tomorrow.”

“Are you serious? I mean, that sounds reasonable. Where should I meet you tonight?”

“Seeing as you and Alfred have gotten off to such a fine start, I’ll have him and my limo waiting for you at your place at seven o’clock. Sharp.”

“Let me jot down my address.”

“I already know where you live, Ms. Sullivan.”

“How?”

Bruce gazed at her a minute longer.

“I have my ways.”

Chloe watched the dark man step inside his limo. An uncontrollable shiver ran up her spine. Tonight was going to be fun.

“What the hell happened in here?”

She stepped into her cousin’s usually meticulous room. Every article of clothing she owned was thrown every which way.

“Chlo, what’s…” Lois’ sentence was cut off by a flying bra landing on her face. She pulled it down. Lois walked up to Chloe, whose rear end was sticking out of the closet. Lois contemplated it for a minute. Giving in, she smacked her cousin on the butt.

“Ow. Why’d you do that?”

“I’ve been speaking to you for about five minutes here, Chlo. What is going on?”

“I talked to him.”

“Talked to who?”

“HIM.”

“You’re gonna have to help me out here, Chlo. I don’t…oh, HIM him? As in Bruce Wayne?”

“Yes.”

“Did he answer a question of yours at the rally?”

“Even better. He agreed to sit down for a one-on-one tomorrow.”

“Get out! Congratulations.”

“Yeah, but he’s putting me through a test first.”

Lois raised an eyebrow. “What kind of test?”

“I have to meet the approval of an ‘old friend’ tonight at dinner first.”

Chloe continued her rampage in the closet. Lois followed her. “I don’t like the sound of this, Chlo. What if he’s got something else in mind?”

“Like what?”

“I don’t know. Like a billionaire sandwich, with you as the delicious middle?”

“That’s disgusting, Lois.”

“My point exactly. No one really knows anything about Bruce Wayne. I want you to be careful.”

Chloe turned to Lois. “I love you, cuz, I really do. But you have gotten so motherly in the last two years we’ve been living together. Whoever thought that I would be the wild one and you would be studying in the library until one every night?”

“I do not.”

Chloe rolled her eyes. “Sorry. Every other night.”

“You started with a clean slate. I had to prove that I wasn’t the slacker who got kicked out of here five years ago. Alright?”

“Lois, you’ve more than proved yourself. Who knew that you would be the second best journalist student in our class?”

Lois crossed her arms. “You might want to check last semester’s grades there, Chlo. I’m not number two anymore.”

Chloe bent down to pick up a pair of black stiletto heels. “Yeah, yeah, tied for first. You’re never going to let me forget that, are you?”

Smiling smugly. “Not a chance.”

“Are you just going to stand there grinning or will you help me find something decent to wear for dinner with a billionaire?”

Lois pushed Chloe aside and began to inspect the closet. “He likes blonds. You’ve got that going for you.”

“Hey, this is not a date. This is an interview. Besides, I have to pass with his friend’s approval. Not his.”

Continuing to leaf through the closet. “Still. I’m sure Bruce will appreciate the effort. Keep your hair down.”

Chloe ran a hand through her shoulder length blond locks. “Ya think? Doesn’t that make me look younger?”

Looking over her shoulder. “Exactly. These rich old farts like ‘em young.”

Chloe grabbed a pillow and threw it at Lois. “Hey, do you want my help or not?”

“Fine. What else have you got?”

Lois walked away from Chloe’s closet and grabbed her cousin’s hand. “What you need is in my closet.”

They made their way through a second pile of mess before coming to Lois’ closet. She slowly opened the doors. She stepped aside just in time to miss being hit by the pile of sweaters that fell from the top. Chloe rolled her eyes. “Geez, didn’t you clean up in here last week?”

“What can I say? My clothes like the floor more than the closet. Now, where is that red dress.”

Chloe’s eyes went wide. “Oh no. Not the red dress!”

“Shut up, Chlo. You’ll look fabulous in it.”

“I can’t fill it out the way you can.”

Lois stared her cousin down. She pushed Chloe in front of the floor length mirror. “I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but you’re one hot reporter. You’ve filled out in all the right places, Chlo.”

“Sorry, it’s the whole high school complex thing. I could never measure up to Lana Lang.”

“I like Lana, I really do. But, look where she is now. A single mother still in Smallville. And where is she working?”

“At the Talon.”

“Exactly. She’s still in the same exact spot as she was in high school, plus a scandalous affair with a married man that resulted in a child out of wedlock, but hey, she’s making it work. She’s moved on with her life, Chloe. And you’re moving on too. You just have to stop looking back. You’re not the same girl that always felt second best. You never were second best.”

“I was to Clark.”

Lois sighed. “That boy had more issues than Lana, you and me put together. It’s no wonder he never saw that you were the best one of all.”

Chloe shook her head. “Listen to me! I’m twenty-two years old and still the thought of Clark Kent makes me insecure and unsure of myself.”

“Yeah really. You’re about to have dinner with the most eligible bachelor on the planet. And I bet his friend won’t be too hard to look at either. You go in there with both guns blasting.”

“You’re right Lois. That’s why you’re coming with me.”

“Uh, no. I’ve got plans.”

“If your plans involve anything but going to the library, I will let you off the hook.”

Lois glared at Chloe. She rolled her eyes. Chloe smiled. “I knew it. Now, find yourself a dress. Bruce’s butler will be here at seven sharp. Do not be late.”

Forty Minutes later…

Lois rolled her eyes for the millionth time that day. She finished putting the long dangling earring in her ear. “I can’t believe I let you talk me into this. I must be crazy.”

Chloe brushed Lois’ shoulder as she walked to the mirror. “Or just desperate for some male attention.”

“Take that back.”

“Come on, Lois. You have to admit that you’ve hardly dated since coming to Met U.”

Shrugging her shoulders. “It’s not my fault. The last thing I want to do is go to a frat party, have some drunk pubescent boy hit on me and try to put his hand down my pants. I’m much better off concentrating on my studies.” Lois and Chloe looked at each other. Lois dropped her head.
            “Please tell me that I did not just say that.”

Chloe patted her shoulder. “You did. But that is going to change tonight.”

“Right. Like some perfect man is going to fall from the sky.”

“Who knows. Anything can happen. But it’s not going to happen with you sitting in the library so let’s go.”

Lex Luthor sat back in the leather chair. He was nursing a glass of brandy quietly watching the crowd of people. He was sitting in the finest restaurant in Metropolis. And he was bored. Sure it was his own restaurant, but that didn’t change the fact that the faces were the same every time he came in. They were either young adults from wealthy families or the up-and-coming stars from young Hollywood. All annoying. All fake. All boring.

Lex drained his brandy. Through the tilted glass he caught a glimpse of two exceptionally gorgeous women. Two women he’d never seen in here before. Pulling the glass down he looked for them. But they were gone. Lex scanned the room. No sign of them. Lex looked at the empty glass.

“I really need to stop drinking these.”

Lex slowly walked to the private room waiting for his party that evening.

“You’re late.”

Lex smirked. “I’m never late. I was sitting at the bar.”

Bruce eyed the glass filled with brandy. “I take it that isn’t your first one?”

“Always my protector. How are you, Bruce?” Lex extended his hand. Bruce shook it warmly.

“No complaints. And you?”

“Luthor Corp. is bigger than ever.”

“Bigger doesn’t necessarily mean better.”

Lex smiled. “That is true. But in this case, bigger is better. I have been hearing peculiar things from Gotham.”

“Such as?”

“Bruce Wayne might actually be settling down. Rachel Dawes?”

Bruce sadly shook his head. “That’s not going to happen. She finds my life too complicated.”

“I can certainly sympathize. It’s the price we pay for our fortunes.”

“I don’t think it was about the money.”

“Oh, the other stuff. Isn’t it always?”

“Sadly yes.”

“Changing this uncomfortable subject, you mentioned you would be bringing along someone?”

Bruce fought the urge to smile. “Yes. She struck me as …”

“She? You didn’t mention it was a she.”

“I didn’t? Must have slipped my mind. As I was saying, she struck me as someone I wanted to get to know better.”

Lex raised his eyebrows. “She must be something special.”

Bruce looked up as the two women entered the room. “We’re about to find out.”

Lex had his back to the door. He turned towards the voices. Curious to see who had piqued Bruce’s interest. It was them. The two women he saw through his glass. More importantly, they were Chloe Sullivan and Lois Lane. He fought the urge to drop his mouth open. Lex was aware they were both studying at Met U but didn’t have occasion to run into them. He may have remembered seeing Lois across a street sometime last year, but she was wearing a baseball cap and a winter jacket.

Chloe had barely spoken two words to him since the Kawachae Caves. Lex suddenly regretted not making greater efforts to extend an apology.

Lois noticed him first. “Oh great.” She muttered through a smile. Chloe turned to see what had suddenly given her cousin an attitude. “Oh great.” She repeated the sentiment.

Bruce looked between the ladies and Lex. “The plot thickens.” Bruce helped Lois and Chloe out of their shawls. “I take it that introductions are not needed.”

Lois sauntered up to Lex. “Unfortunately no.”

“Nice to see you too, Lois. How is Metropolis treating you?”

“It was treating me well. Until now. I had hoped my luck of not running into you would continue.”

Lex swallowed. “My apologies for whatever I did to upset you.”

Shaking her head slowly. Lowering her voice. “Don’t play dumb, Lex. It doesn’t become you.”

Bruce and Chloe walked up to join them. Bruce gestured towards the table. “Shall we all at least pretend to be adults and sit down for dinner?”

Bruce led Chloe to the table and helped her sit. “Thank you.”

Lois eyed Lex once more and then sat down at the table next to Chloe. The cousins exchanged glances. This was going to be a long night.

Bruce, who was usually the moodiest and angriest guest at a table, found himself in a peculiar situation, trying to lighten the mood. He couldn’t figure out which woman had it in for Lex more, Chloe, or her equally as enchanting cousin, Lois.

Wine was poured and orders were placed. Lois tried not to chug her wine. There was a long ugly silence. Chloe knew it was driving Lois crazy. Hence the super speed drinking. Chloe was going to have to make an attempt. Clearing her throat.

“So is there like a billionaires club where all you young people congregate? Is that how the two of you met?”

Lex fingered his glass of brandy. It was obvious he was not going to make any attempt to respond. Bruce sipped his wine before turning to Chloe. “Actually, we met in boarding school.”

Lois snorted. “How appropriate.”

Bruce eyed Lois for a minute before returning to his story. “I was ten. Lex was eleven. Neither of us really fit in so we found each other.”

Chloe tilted her head to the side. Suddenly very interested in Bruce’s story. “Why didn’t you fit in?”

“I guess you could say that we were both seen somewhat as freak shows. I was an orphan who witnessed the murder of my parents.”

“And I was the eleven year old boy without any hair.”

Chloe looked from Bruce to Lex and then back to Bruce. Lois drained her wine. Even more than uncomfortable silences, she hated feeling sorry for people. The emotion made her squirm in her skin.

“No one would let us play on the sports teams or join the clubs so Lex and I created our own.”

Bruce smiled at Lex.

“And by the end of the term every spoiled pompous brat in that place wanted to be part of our club.”

Chloe smiled at Lex. “What kind of club was it?”

There was a twinkle in his eyes. Chloe was taken aback by the huge mischievous smile spread across Lex’s face. “That’s a secret Bruce and I will take to the grave.”

Bruce nodded. “That’s right.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “Lemme guess, it was some adventure club. Daring each other to out do each other.”

Both men looked at Lois. Neither would ever admit that she was right.

“How about the two of you, any interesting escapades as teenage girls?”

Chloe sighed. Lois and Chloe thought of Smallville and all its green rock wonders. They smiled and shook their heads. “Nah.”

Lex laughed. He knew only too well the kind of trouble those two had gotten into. Bruce looked on. “Am I missing something?”

Lex tilted his glass towards Bruce. “You had to be there. Only those that actually experience Smallville first hand can truly understand it’s…”

“Weirdness?” Lois offered.

“Extraterrestrialness?” Chloe suggested.

“Uniqueness.” Lex finished.

“You all knew each other then?”

“I lived there longer than Lex or Lois. I went to high school in Smallville. Lex lived there for several years and then Lois just kinda happened there.”

“That’s not true. I came to find out who had killed you, remember Chlo?”

“Excuse me, killed her?”

Chloe waived it off. “Oh that. There were a couple of months where everyone thought I was dead. In reality, I was being held hostage by a creepy guy with a knife for a hand. Well, only for the last few days. Lex was hiding me out before that.”

Bruce nodded. “I knew there was a good Samaritan in there somewhere.”

Lex shrugged his shoulders. “It was because of my father.”

“Ah. What did the infamous Lionel Luthor do?”

“He tried to have Chloe killed so she wouldn’t testify against him in the murder of my grandparents.”

“A man with a heart the size of a shriveled pea.”

The night escaped the foursome. Dinner was eaten. More wine was consumed.

Lois walked out onto the balcony for some fresh air. She wasn’t used to boozing it up. Even three glasses of wine were beginning to have their effect.

“It’s almost as pretty as Gotham.”

Lois hadn’t noticed Bruce join her on the balcony.

“Actually, I’ve been to Gotham on more than one occasion. It’s a little run down, don’t you think?”

“That’s because you’ve never had someone show you all the right places to look.”

“I might take you up on that the next time I’m there.”

“It would be my pleasure.”

“I’d say that Chloe has passed the test, wouldn’t you?”

“Test?”

“Yeah, meeting the approval of your ‘friend’. Tell me that you didn’t know Chloe and Lex know each other.”

“I didn’t.”

“Mr. Wayne, for someone who knew where Chloe lives, you certainly would have known such vital information.” Lois turned to stare directly at Bruce. “Tell me you didn’t plan this whole thing just to put Chloe and Lex in the same room.”

“That would be very deceptive of me.”

“Yes, it would. Lex wasn’t very nice to Chloe. There’s no reason she should have to forgive him.”

Bruce studied her. “Maybe Chloe isn’t the one that has a hard time forgiving.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You knew Lex too.”

“That’s right.”

“Something tells me you knew him on a whole different level than Chloe did.”

Lois turned back to the Metropolis skyline. “I was young and stupid. There, is that what you wanted to hear? I’m sure I wasn’t the first. And I certainly wasn’t the last.”

Bruce stepped closer to Lois and leaned on the railing. “Maybe you aren’t looking to forgive Lex.”

Lois looked at him from the corner of her eye.

“Maybe you’re looking to forgive yourself for something you did in this Smallville of yours.”

Lois looked away. “You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Bruce nodded. “If you ever need a perfect stranger to reveal all your secrets to, I’m better than most.” Bruce slipped his business card into Lois’ hand. He gently squeezed her hand before walking towards the French doors.

“Lois.”

She turned to him.

“Whoever he is. I’m sure he’d forgive you.”

Bruce didn’t wait for a response. Lois looked up into the night sky. A gust of wind blew through her hair. The wind gently sent her dress dancing. Lois sighed.

“No he wouldn’t.”

Lois wrapped her arms around herself as the evening grew colder.

After pulling out of the Kent Farm that day, she had boarded a bus to Metropolis. But she hadn’t stayed long. Just long enough to tell Chloe she loved her. Lois then took a plane to Africa and had spent the next two years continent hopping. So much for finding herself. Every time the past caught up to her, she would move on. She was known by many different names. All but her own. Finally, in a small village in Ireland, Lois decided to stop running. Lois returned to Metropolis and enrolled at Met U. Chloe stumbled on one of Lois’ journals from her trips and was amazed by how well her cousin wrote. Soon, the cousins found themselves in battles over being the best journalist students the university ever had. Both were awarded with internships at the Daily Planet.

Lois never told Chloe about what had transpired between her and Clark. Some things were better left unsaid.

Lois never broke a promise. Through all of her travels, she maintained contact with Martha and Jonathan. She wrote them about her escapades, PG versions. They even came to Metropolis to see her a couple of times a year. But she never returned to the Kent Farm. And one name was never spoken.

At first, Chloe would talk nonstop about Clark when Lois first showed up in Metropolis. But then, even Chloe seemed to sense that it wasn’t a topic Lois wanted to broach. It was either that or Chloe finally distancing herself from her own childhood love. Lois hoped it was the latter. From what Chloe had spoken of Clark, he left not too long after Lois. To find himself is how Martha had described it.

Looking at the city lights sparkle in the dusk. Lois only hoped that wherever Clark was he was happy.

Taking Place at the same time as Bruce’s and Lois’ conversation on the balcony.

Chloe fiddled with her napkin. She had given up trying to transform it into different animals and settled on shredding it. Lex never once said a word. Chloe’s curiosity finally got the best of her. She looked over at him. She couldn’t help but smile when she saw that Lex had folded his own napkin into a crane.

“How’d you do that?”

“One of the many things Bruce taught me.”

Lex handed it over to her.

“Thank you.”

“How’s Gabe doing?”

“My dad is great, actually! He started his own little consulting firm a few years back. He loves it.”

“I’m happy to hear it.”

Chloe stopped playing with the crane. “I know you didn’t want to fire him. It was all part of your father’s sick plan.”

“We all make our choices, Chloe. And we have to be responsible for the outcome. I did fire your father.”

“It might actually have been the best thing to happen to him. Getting away from your family.”

“I’m sure many people say that.”

“Sorry. No matter how much I grow up, I’m always going to blurt things out.”

Lex smiled. “I’ve always liked that about you, Chloe. You don’t lie.”

“I try not to. It only gets me into a lot of trouble. So, have you been back to Smallville at all?”

“No.”

“Any reason why?”

“My P.R. people think it would be better for me not to be associated with it.”

“So that’s why you’ve been denying ever having lived there.”

“Yes.”

“Do you ever want to go back?”

“There’s nothing left there for me. I haven’t been welcome at the Kent Farm for many years. And my friendship with Clark is beginning to feel like a dream.”

Chloe looked at him. “It happened Lex. You and Clark were friends. Don’t ever forget it.”

“How about you and Clark?”

Chloe laughed. “Me and Clark never happened. But he will always be one of my best friends.”

Lex leaned his elbows on the table. “Where is Clark?”

“Finding himself.”

“Finding himself? Where?”

Chloe shrugged. “Only Clark knows at this point. I talk to Mrs. Kent once in a while and she tells me that he’ll send a post card here and there. Sometimes they get a phone call. But he hasn’t been back home for two years.”

Lex furrowed his brows. “That’s not like Clark. He loves his parents.”

“Just because he hasn’t come back doesn’t mean he doesn’t. He spent so much of his time tied to that farm so he could help out his dad. Maybe he needed this much time and distance to figure out what he wants in life.”

“Has he contacted you?”

“Not really. He sent me a couple of letters early on. But I haven’t heard anything in a year, I think.”

“That doesn’t bother you?”

“We’re all growing up, Lex. Growing up and changing. Maybe this is the way Clark needs to change. I don’t begrudge him that.”

“I found it odd how he just took off, weeks before starting university.”

“Yeah.” Thinking out loud. “I’m sure it had a lot to do with Lois’ abrupt departure.”

“Lois? What does Lois have to do with Clark?”

Chloe smiled. “Actually, a lot.”

Lex stared blankly at her. Realization began to dawn on him. “Are you telling me that those two had something going?”

“I’ve never actually asked Lois about it. But, I’ve had my suspicions.”

“Like what?”

“Oh, like the fact that Lois still keeps one of Clark’s flannel shirts tucked way, way in the back of her closet. And, every once in a while, I’ll catch her looking at this old photo I have of him. And you know Clark. Once he’s in love with someone…”

“There’s nothing else in the world.”

“Exactly.”

Lex looked towards the terrace. He could barely make out Lois’ silhouette through the curtains.

“Is she thinking about him right now?”

Chloe leaned across the table to look out. “Beautiful star-filled sky? Definitely.”

“Are you okay with that?”

Chloe bit her lip. “I think I first figured it out after Lois had passed through Metropolis and gone to wherever she went. I was more shocked than anything. Probably a little hurt. A little angry. But then I realized, I think I finally realized, Clark was never mine to feel that way about. I probably had a hand in him and Lana not working out. I just hoped that I didn’t end whatever could have been between Clark and Lois. But knowing my cousin, that’s exactly what happened. That hurts more than anything.”

“Have you ever tried talking about it with Lois?”

“When she sees that the name ‘Clark’ is even running through my mind, she’s ready to bolt. Besides, that’s their business. I’ve learned that even a reporter needs to back off in certain circumstances.”

“That’s very mature of you, Chloe.”

“I hope so. It doesn’t always work out that way.”

She grinned sheepishly.

“I think you’re a little bit of a miracle, Chloe.”

“How so?”

“I think you’re the first girl to have ever gotten over Clark Kent and…”

“not died right away?”

“I didn’t want to say that, but yes.”

Chloe thought about it for a minute and then smiled. “I think you’re right. I am over Clark Kent.”

“It’s about time.”

They laughed.
            Last edited by DanaButterfly; 02-11-2006, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanaButterfly
              Trying this again. I could've sworn I had already posted Chapters 12 and 13. Scratching head.
              I think you did, because if you didn't I'm on crack. I remember reading those chapters tonight and replying to them!
              Well that was a twilight zone moment, anyway....

Great updates!!! all of them!!!! I love love LOVE this story!!
              PPMASAP!!

Comment

Yeah, you posted them already. I think it's cuz of the forum crash, which is explained at the top of every forum. Just about anything done within a certain time period does not exist anymore, which also explains to me why post count dropped alot of posts. Anyway, great update! Ppms!
                Last edited by katt12; 02-12-2006, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Chapter Fifteen – Encounters

“Hey Chlo, there was something delivered to you this morning.”

Chloe walked out of her bedroom. She saw a single yellow rose in a vase.

“Are you sure it’s for me?”

“It has your name on it!”

Chloe bent down and smelled the exquisite fragrance. She opened the card.

“It’s blank!”

Lois walked up to her. She took the card from Chloe’s hand and opened it. “It’s blank.”

“Thanks Lo. I couldn’t have figured that out without you.”

“No problem. Listen, I’m going to take a shower, but then do you want to go grab breakfast?”

“I can’t. I’m finishing up my article.”

“I thought you finished it two days ago.”

“I did. But then there are these teeny changes I want to make to it.”

Lois crossed her arms. “Teeny changes?”

“Okay, okay, big changes. Besides, I have that interview with Bruce.”
                  “Right. How about dinner then?”

“You’re on. You cooking the usual?”’

“Of course. Luigi’s deep pan pizza!”

“See ya.”

Lois walked to the bathroom. Chloe knelt down and smelled the rose one more time. She smiled.

“Bruce.”

“Excuse me, but does Chloe Sullivan live in this building?”

“Third floor.”

“Thanks.”

“She’s not home. She just went to class.”

The man nodded his head, checking his watch. His plane was going to be leaving in half an hour. He had wanted to see Chloe before boarding.

“Can you tell her that an old friend stopped by.”

The girl frowned. “I’ve never seen you here before.”

“Chloe and I grew up together, in Smallville.”

Realization dawned in the girl’s eyes. “Are you Clark?”

He smiled warmly. “Yes I am. Clark Kent. Nice to meet you.”

“Amber Frost. Chloe is going to be so disappointed that she missed you. She talks about you all the time.”

Clark grinned. “Mostly good, I hope.”

“All good. Except, she was bummed how little you kept in touch.”

“Yeah. I was traveling a lot.”

“It looks like you haven’t stopped. Can’t you stay in town even for a night? I know that would make Chloe’s whole year.”

“I wish I could, but…”

“Wait a minute. If you know Chloe, then you’ll know her roommate too!”

“It isn’t Lana, is it?”

“No. That girl’s still in Smallville. Single mom, you know.”

Clark was shocked. “A single mom?”

“Yup. It was the biggest scandal to hit that town of yours since those meteor showers. I don’t much more of the details. You’d have to ask Chloe. Or her roommate.”

Clark looked up to the apartment. “Is her roommate home?”

“Yup. Lois never has an early class.”

Clark had been on his way up to the apartment. But when he heard that name he froze in his place. He slowly turned back to this Amber person. “Lois Lane?”

“Chloe’s cousin, yeah. They’ve been living together for the past two years.”

“And she goes to Met U?”

“Yup. Those two are a force to be reckoned with.”

Clark looked back up at the apartment. He could only smile. There was something so right about that. Chloe and Lois making their marks in Metropolis.

“Thanks for letting me know. Tell Chloe I said ‘hi’.”

“You don’t want to go up and see Lois?”

Clark wanted that more than anything.

“Not this time. Nice meeting you, Amber.”

“You too.”

Lois wrapped her coat tighter against her body. The snow was starting to come down harder. She abruptly stopped walking down the stairs of her building. She had an odd sense of familiarity. It lasted only a second before she brushed it off. Swinging her bag up on her shoulder, Lois started walking towards campus.

“Hey Lois!”

“No, I can’t give you my notes from class yesterday. You’ve gotta go sometime, Amber.”

“I know. I know. But I’m not here to beg you for your notes, I swear.”

“What’s going on?”

“I met an old friend of yours, well, I guess he would be an old friend of Chloe’s. I don’t know how well you knew him.”

“Amber, spit it out. Who was it?”

“Clark Kent.”

Lois stopped breathing. She stared blankly at Amber. It began to freak Amber out. She waved her hand in front of Lois’ face. “Earth to Lois.”

“Did…did you say, Clark Kent?”

“Yeah. He was standing right over there not ten minutes ago. He was asking about Chloe and I told him that she was in class.”

“Clark was here?”

“Catch up Lois. Yes Clark was here.”

“Where did he go?”

“Something about catching a plane. I asked him if he wanted to go up to see you but…”

Lois was already gone. She had taken off running down the street. Lois had no idea what she was going to say to Clark. Or how she was even going to find out which flight he was on, but she had to try. Lois managed to flag down a cab and dial her cell phone at the same time.

“Lex Luth…”

“Look, I don’t like you one bit. In fact, I pretty much despise you. I don’t blame you entirely for what happened between us because I was old enough to know better. But, I still blame you more than I blame myself, just because you were awfully cocky and full of yourself. But, I’m going to think about forgiving you if you do something for me. You have one second to say that you’ll help me or I’m hanging up.”

“Who is this?”

“Very funny. You know damn well that it’s Lois. I need an answer.”

“Do I even get to know what I’m saying yes to?”

“No.”

“Then my answer is…yes.”

“Clark Kent is boarding a plane in Metropolis right now and I need to know what flight he’s on.”

“Clark’s in town?”

“This is not a good time for questions, Lex. I need that information. Now. Could you hurry it up please?”

“I haven’t even had a chance to process this, Lois.”

“I was talking to my cab driver. How fast can you get this information for me?”

“Seeing as Luthor Corp. owns the airport, I’ll have it in three minutes.”

“Could you see about grounding all the planes until I get there?”

“Not even I have the power to do that. I’ll give you a call right back.”

The next three minutes were the longest of Lois’ life. She bit off every nail she had. Even the cab driver’s nails were starting to look good by the time he finally pulled up in front of the airport. Lois tossed a wad of cash at him and ran.

Her phone began ringing just as she stepped inside the terminal. “Talk to me.”

“He’s on flight A2300 to Rio De Janeiro. It’s departure time is in half an hour. Gate B16. Lois they’ve already closed the boarding gate.”

“They’re just going to have to open it then.”

“I took the liberty of purchasing you a ticket.”

“Thank you, Lex.”

“Good luck.”

She hung up. “I’m definitely going to need it.”

Out of breath, Lois stepped onto the plane. She scanned the aisles. Every seat was full, except one.

“Excuse me, where is the tall, dark-haired man that was sitting in this seat?”

“You must be talking about Clark Kent.”

“Yes, yes I am.”

“He’s the only passenger who didn’t board.”

Lois watched the plane take off from the terminal. She slowly turned away from the windows. Clark was standing there. Their eyes met across the room full of bustling travelers. Lois fought the urge to break out into giddy laughter. Instead. She smiled. It took him a while. But finally, Clark smiled back. He took the first step forward. They began to close their distance, slowly walking around people.

They were finally face to face.

Simultaneously. “Hi.”

It was a lame start to a conversation four years in the making but neither knew what else to say. They were still feeling the other out. Lois took the opportunity to observe the visible changes in Clark. The most obvious being the dark beard he was sporting. He looked mature and weathered with the facial hair. Gone was the flannel, replaced by a black turtle neck and grey slacks. A backpack was slung casually on his shoulder.

The sound of Clark’s voice brought Lois out of her inspection. “You changed your hair.”

Instinctively, Lois’ hand shot up to touch her hair. “Oh that. Chloe dared me.”

“The darker color suits you.”

“At first I wanted to change it back, but then it kind of grew on me.” Like you, she thought silently to herself.

Clark looked away trying to find somewhere to start. “Hey, I heard you’re attending Met U.”

“Amber told you?”

Clark nodded. “She seems nice.”

Lois rolled her eyes. “She’s okay so long as she’s not having a relationship crisis. She usually has at least one a month.”

This was not what Lois wanted to be talking to Clark about. Insignificant filler. She didn’t know when she’d see him next. Lois wanted him to know how important he was to her.

“Sorry I didn’t stick around earlier but I had to catch my plane.”

“Yeah, the plane you aren’t on right now.”

Clark sighed. “I realized that I have some unfinished business here.”

Lois raised an eyebrow. “Oh.”

Clark quickly explained. “Amber told me some things about Lana.”

Lana. This was about Lana. Of course it would be about Lana. Lois tried to keep her emotions in check.

“Is it true that Lana has a baby?”

Lois nodded. “I don’t know much of the details. Do you want to sit or something?”

Clark anxiously looked at his watch. “I kind of want to catch a bus to Smallville tonight.” The truth was being this close to Lois after their last emotional confrontation, even though it had been over four years ago, was getting to Clark. This was the same woman he handed his heart to only to have it thrown to the ground and stomped on.

“I could drive you to the bus station. We could talk on the way.” Lois offered.

Clark had planned on running to Smallville, but now he was caught in his own fib. “Thanks.”

They walked out of the airport in silence. Choosing to walk back to campus instead of taking a cab, the twosome slowly walked through the snow.

“About Lana?”

“Oh, right.” ‘Cause how could we possibly have anything to talk about except Lana Lang? Lois was surprised at her own animosity. It was her own fault Clark was so closed off towards her. “Let me see. Three years ago, Lana started a relationship with this guy, Eric Michaels. Apparently he was a real charmer because he managed to get Lana into bed fairly quick. What he failed to tell her is that he was married with two kids. Suffice it to say, she was devastated. She broke things off with him. And then she found out she was pregnant. When she told him about the baby, he denied it was his.”

Clark’s jaw tightened. That must’ve killed Lana.

“Lana being Lana, she couldn’t even allow thoughts of abortion or adoption to enter her head, so she’s been living in Smallville ever since raising her son.”

“It’s a boy?”

“Yeah. I don’t know what his name is though. I don’t know if Chloe’s ever mentioned it.”

“You didn’t go see her?”

“I wasn’t exactly around at the time.”

Clark looked at her in surprise.

“You’re not the only one who traveled the world. I of course was chasing my little sister as she country hopped. I gave that up about two years ago. And somehow ended up in Metropolis.”

“Have you been back to Smallville?”

Shaking her head. “School’s kept me busy. Plus I have a part-time job and an internship.”

Clark was impressed. “You really seem to have a handle on your life now, Lois.”

She shrugged. “Yeah well, I couldn’t go on mooching off your folks for the rest of my life.”

“I guess not.”

“What about you, Clark? Where have you been?”

A list of all the countries he visited ran through his head. “Around.”

“Ah. Doing anything specific?”

Clark stopped walking and looked directly into Lois’ eyes. “Becoming a man.”

Slap. Her own words hurt like hell.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for that to sound so vindictive.”

“No, it’s okay. I completely deserved that. I was the world’s biggest ***** to you that day.” Lois looked away before returning her gaze to Clark. Their eyes locked. “I’m so sorry about the things I said to you, Clark. I…”

Clark held up a hand to stop her. Shaking his head. “It’s in the past, Lois. There’s no reason to go back there. I should actually thank you for what you said.”

Lois was confused. “Thank me?”

“You were right, Lois. I didn’t know who I was back then. So how could I possibly have been ready to be in a relationship…with anyone. Even though the words hurt, they were the truth.”

“Clark…”

“Please, let me say this. I spent my life in Smallville hiding myself from people. What I wanted more than anything was to be like everybody else. What I didn’t know then was that I like who I am. I certainly don’t have everything figured out yet, but at least I’m not hiding and running from myself.”

“But I didn’t have anything to do with that, Clark.”

“Yes, you did. You gave me the kick in the butt I needed. I was so focused on having someone in my life, whether it was Lana…or you, that I didn’t take the time to look at myself.”

“Gee, so I’m supposed to be proud that I’ve turned you into a self-obsessed jerk?”

Clark laughed. “That’s not quite the way I’d put it. You made me look at myself, Lois. I don’t think I ever really did that before.”

Lois mulled it over. “I guess that’s not too terrible a thing.”

“Don’t get me wrong, you hurt me, a lot.”

“Do we have to bring that part up?”

“No. I told you. What happened is in the past. I live in the present and plan for the future.”

Lois stood in awe of Clark Kent. He had grown up. No longer was he a brooding, confused farm boy. He was confident. At peace with himself. Lois was absolutely jealous. She wished she could say the same about herself.

“Does that mean you’re going to stay in one place for longer than a month?”

“I need to see Lana.”

Here we go again, Lois thought to herself. Lois forced Clark into becoming a man and now Lana was going to reap the benefits.

Clark couldn’t quite place the look that crossed Lois’ face. They reached Lois’ apartment. “My car’s parked in the back.”

“On second thought, I think I’m going to walk to the bus station.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah. Thanks for the offer though.”

Clark and Lois stood looking at each other in silence. Lois didn’t want to let him go without him knowing. “Hey, you’ll never guess what I’m majoring in.”

Clark studied her for a minute before replying. “Journalism.”

“How’d you know?”

“Lucky guess.” Clark wasn’t about to tell her he had x-rayed her back pack.

“I guess, in a way, I have you to thank for that.”

“Me?”

“It was your idea, after all.”

Realization dawned on Clark as both thought back to the day of his high school graduation.

“It seems you were the only one of us right that day.”

“No law enforcement for me in the near future.”

Lois shrugged. “Never say never.”

Clark smiled. But it was a sad smile. “I guess I should go.”

“Yeah. I guess you should. Are you sure you don’t want to stay and see Chloe?”

“I really wish I could, but…”

“Right, Lana’s waiting.”

“Tell Chloe that I’ll come visit her soon though.”

Lois nodded. “Say ‘hi’ to your parents.”

“I will. I’m glad I saw you today.”

“I’m glad you didn’t get on that plane.”

“I guess we’re both glad about a lot of things.” Clark adjusted the strap of his backpack. “I’ll see you.”

“Bye Smallville.”

Clark made a half wave before turning away. Lois began walking up the front steps.

“Hey Lois!”

Spinning around. Ponytail following. “Yes?”

His green eyes pierced her hazel ones. “Are you happy?”

She thought about it for a minute. Slowly smiling. “I’m working on it.”

“Me too.”

He turned away. “Hey Clark!”

Clark looked back at her. “Yeah?”

“Don’t be a stranger.”

“I won’t.”

Sadly, both didn’t quite believe they would keep in touch. But they hoped. When Clark rounded the corner and was out of Lois’ sights, he leaned up against a wall. His heart was tight in his chest. There was only one thing he had wanted to say to Lois. The one thing Clark would never profess to her again. “I love you, Lois.” The words fell from his lips in a whisper.

Regaining his composure, Clark looked around. The coast was clear. He sped off towards Smallville. To face his past.

Lois stayed on the front steps for a long time. She had told him everything, but the truth. Why couldn’t she have admitted to Clark that what she had said to him on the farm had been a lie. Why couldn’t she have just told him that she cared. That she loved him.

Comment

DanaButterfly, i just wanna say, that you are the best! hahah no but really, you update all the time and the story just keeps getting better and better! I love it!

Comment

Awesome update! Ppms!

Comment

omg..i read this whole story in one sitting because i could not take my eyes off of it! This story is so amazing I am hooked !!! it is so emotional ..with what Lois and Clark are going through..i wish they would stop being so stubborn and just tell each other their true feelings!!! arg I want happy Clois!!!!

Comment

Clark=Hot! i agree, this story is addicting! i'd like to see them happy too. Definitely lookin' for another update on this baby

Comment

Chapter Sixteen – Celebration

“Hurry up, Lois.” Chloe impatiently screeched. If she didn’t love her cousin so much, Chloe might just have had to leave her behind. But today was a special day for Jonathan and Martha Kent and everyone who loved them should be there to join in their celebration. Chloe shook her head in amazement. Thirty years together. That was longer than Chloe’s lifetime. It made her sad, sad that she was now twenty-four with no life partner in sight. Yet hopeful all the same. There were still men out there like Jonathan Kent. Men who devoted themselves to one woman.

Chloe shifted the silver paper wrapped box to her right hip so she could pull Lois out of the car with her left arm. Lois was a reluctant guest. She wasn’t exactly dreading any particular person at the party. She was actually excited to see Jonathan and Martha. They both had visited her in Metropolis on several occasions, Martha in particular. But being back here, in Smallville and on the Kent farm overloaded Lois with memories. Good and bad. And ugly.

“Alright, alright. No need to dislocate my shoulder, Chlo. I’m outta the car and moving forward. See.” Lois demonstrated her legs moving towards the familiar yellow farmhouse. Lois began to fuss with her hair for the millionth time that day.

“How many times do I have to tell you, it looks great.”

Lois scrunched up her nose. “Really? You sure?” She fingered the curled locks. Over the last couple of years, she had experimented with even darker shades of brown. It was now a deep chestnut brown. It still cascaded halfway down her back, but was now full of curls.

“I’ll have to ask Mrs. Kent what she thinks.”

“Gee thanks. So my opinion doesn’t count?”

Lois slipped her arm around Chloe’s slim waist. “Of course it does, cuz. You’re just too biased sometimes.”

“As if Mrs. Kent is going to say anything bad about your hair. Or you for that matter. The woman is crazy about you.”

Lois eyed her cousin. “Do I sense the ugly green monster rearing its ugly head?”

“I’m not jealous.” Chloe laughed off the question. In reality, she was a little jealous of the relationship Martha and Lois had forged in the time after Lois left the Kent farm. At first, they became somewhat of pen pals. Martha had even ventured to Costa Rica to join Lois on a week long excursion into the rain forest. Martha then frequently visited both girls at Met U. Martha said she was there to see both Chloe and Lois, but there were many a times Chloe would walk into her own apartment and catch Martha already getting ready to head back to Smallville. It hurt Chloe, a little. She had always thought of Martha as a substitute mother. It was when she realized that Lois needed a mom too that Chloe was able to accept the bond Lois and Martha had.

They heard the music and sound of animated voices before seeing anyone. Their ears honed in on who the voices belting out the Elvis Presley song belonged to. Chloe furrowed her brows. “Is that? No. It can’t be him.”

Lois had a puzzled look on her face too. “That cannot be Mr. Kent.”

The cousins looked at each other and then took off running at full speed. High heels be damned. They rounded the corner and sure enough, Jonathan Kent, in all his farmer glory, was swiveling his hips and curling his top lip as he sang Jailhouse Rock. Lois and Chloe were even more shocked when Clark joined his father. Alas, his impersonation of Elvis was not as good as his father’s. The cousins burst into a fit of giggles. Joining the crowd of onlookers who were doing the same.

Chloe eyed Martha standing near the refreshment stand clapping her hands together and gazing up at her son and husband with adoring eyes. Chloe broke out into a huge smile when she caught sight of an old friend. Pete Ross. She began to make her way towards him.

Lois went to deposit the anniversary gifts on a table already overflowing with like wrapped gifts.
                            Her eyes never left the father-son performance. It cracked her up to see Jonathan hip check Clark to regain the center of the stage.

A child’s shrill laugh tore Lois’ attention from the stage. Sitting in the grass in the front of the crowd of people was Lana Lang. A stunning little boy sat in her lap. Both were clapping and cheering on the two performers.

Lois’ heart skipped a beat when she followed the little boy’s adoring gaze to one person. Clark. If Lois didn’t know better, she would easily have mistaken the little boy as Clark’s. Dark hair. Smooth complexion. Adorable smile.

When the karaoke performance ended, Jonathan and Clark took exaggerated bows. Lana clapped enthusiastically, as did everyone else. The little boy jumped out of Lana’s lap and propelled himself at Clark. Clark barely managed to catch the flying boy and lift him up into his arms. Clark threw the boy over a shoulder eliciting screams of delight from the youngster.

Lois inhaled sharply. It was obvious there was a strong bond there. It made her sad to think of all the other things she probably didn’t know about Clark anymore. Lana joined her son and Clark. She tickled the bottom of her son’s foot.

Lois begrudgingly had to admit that Lana was more beautiful now than she was as a teenager. Pregnancy had softened her curves. She looked lovely in a long summer dress. Lana’s hair was cut stylishly, in a longer bob, making her look mature yet feminine. She was barefoot. Clark absolutely towered over her.

Martha approached Lois. She was surprised Lois made no reaction to her waving hello at her. Martha followed Lois’ gaze. Clark, Lana, and the little boy were in Lois’ sights. Lois finally shook herself out of her stalkerish observations of the trio. She smiled when Martha came into her view. The two women hugged.

“I love your hair, Lois!”

“Thanks, Mrs. Kent.”

Martha swatted at the younger woman. “How many times do I have to tell you, it’s Martha!”

“I know. I know.” Lois replied sheepishly. “It just doesn’t feel right.”

“Suit yourself, Ms. Lane.”

“Hey now. Let’s not even go there.”

“So what did you think of the Kents up there?” Martha gestured towards the stage.

“I only wish I had a video camera. Juicy blackmail material.”

“Oh you. I didn’t even see you and Chloe pull up.”

“I don’t think anyone did. You were all mesmerized by the gyrating Elvises. How ever did you manage to get those two up there?”

“I told them it was the only thing I wanted for my anniversary.”

Lois pulled Martha into another hug. “Congratulations on that! You and Mr. Kent have set a very high standard for the rest of us.”

Martha’s eyes sparkled. “Any news you want to share on that front?”

Lois rolled her eyes. “I don’t think that’s even in the vicinity of possibility for me. I am way too busy at the Planet to even consider marriage.”

“Don’t make yourself too busy for a little romance, Lois.”

Popping a grape into her mouth. Lois mysteriously said. “Well, I didn’t say that.”

“Lois Lane, have you been holding out on me?”

Lois threw her head back and laughed. This caught the attention of a few individuals. One tall, dark and handsome spectator in particular. He wondered if his heart would ever stop leaping into his throat whenever he saw Lois Lane.

“I didn’t really want to say anything until it actually became something. And then, when it did become something, I didn’t want to say anything because it was awkward.”

Martha nodded in understanding. “You mean because of you and Clark.”

“Yeah. I know it’s silly. What happened, or didn’t happen between me and Clark is so ancient it’s fossilized, borrowing that phrase from Chloe. Still, you’re his mom.”

Martha grabbed Lois’ hand. “And your friend.”

“That is true.”

“Well.”

“I never knew you were so nosey, Mrs. Kent. Alright. His name is …”

“There you are!”

Chloe bounded up to Lois and Martha. Chloe hugged Martha. “Happy anniversary!”

“Thank you, Chloe! I’m so glad you both could make it.”

“Are you kidding. I wouldn’t miss Clark and Mr. Kent getting down for anything.”
                            “It was a quite a show. I saw you talking to Pete.”

“I can’t believe it’s been so long.”

Lois chimed in. “Pete? As in Pete Ross?”

“He’s over there.” Chloe pointed him out, standing next to Jonathan and Chloe’s father.

“You know, I’ve been wanting to meet this Pete Ross for years.”

“Today’s your chance.”

“Wait a minute!” Martha cried out as Lois began to make her way over to Pete. “I still want to hear who you’re dating.”

“Chlo will fill you in.” Lois said over her shoulder.

Chloe grinned. “Have I got a story for you, Mrs. Kent. See, it all began when Perry sent Lois on an assignment to Gotham City…”

“Hi Mr. Kent.” Jonathan smiled warmly as Lois walked up to him. He pulled her into a bear hug.

“Lois. We were beginning to wonder where you were.”

“What can I say, my cousin’s a slow driver.” They pulled out of their hug. “Hi Uncle Gabe.”

“Lo-Lo.”

Lois quickly hugged Gabe before turning her full attention to the dashing man. Sticking her hand out. “I have been dying to meet you.”

Pete eagerly took her hand. “What a coincidence. I’ve wanted to meet you since your name began to surface in Clark’s e-mails way back when.”

Raising her eyebrow. “Should I be worried?”

Pete leaned in. “Only a little.”

She laughed. “I can’t believe we haven’t ever crossed paths until now.”

“I know. I’ve been to Metropolis a few times in the last few years. I usually managed to see Chlo but you were always out. Buried in the library is what she always said. But now that I’ve seen you, I’m beginning to doubt that story.”

“Sadly it was true.”

Jonathan smiled proudly. “Lois here is the youngest reporter to join the investigative department at the Daily Planet.”

Lois’ mouth twitched. “Actually, that’s not true anymore. Chloe now has that honor.”

Pete’s eyes went wide. “Chloe! Get out! She didn’t say anything to me.”

“It’s going to be announced on Monday.”

Jonathan shook Gabe’s hand. “What an accomplishment, Gabe. You now have two brilliant Daily Planet reporters in the family.”

Gabe smiled. “Those are my girls. But, we can’t go any further without mentioning Pete’s successes, the youngest governor of Kansas, ever.”

“I know, I’ve heard.”

Pete was surprised. “You have?”

“I make a point to know who all the important players are in our country. And you are certainly one of them. But, I can’t imagine how it’s never been brought to my attention how attractive you are.”

Pete blushed. “You could get me into a lot of trouble.”

“Now how could I do a thing like that?” She batted her eyelashes at him. Then laughed.

“My fiancée might not understand.”

“I’m sure she’s secure enough with herself, and with your relationship to let you engage in a little innocent flirting.”

“Flirting is never innocent, Ms. Lane.” Pete ended that statement by winking at her.

“But winking is okay, right?”

Jonathan and Gabe could only laugh at the banter. “Are you sure the two of you have never met?”

“Scout’s honor.” Lois felt something run into the back of her legs. She turned to find Lana’s little boy wrapped around her legs. “Hey there. Can I help you out?”

“Hide me.”

Lois looked around. “From who?”

“From him.” The little boy pointed an adorable finger at Clark, who was about twenty feet away and obviously looking for something, or someone.

“I get it. You guys are playing hide and seek.” Lois turned a little so the little boy was hidden completely from Clark. “I won’t breathe a word to him.”

Clark, being the super cheater that he is, had heard the whole exchange. He pretended that he couldn’t find the child. He scratched the top of his. “Now, where did he go? It looks like he’s just too good of a player.”

The little boy giggled from behind Lois’ legs.

Clark continued to roam in front of Lois. Jonathan, Pete, Gabe and Lana looked on in amusement. Lois didn’t know how to act. How does one act when being used as a human shield in a child’s game?

Clark rubbed his beard. “I wonder if he’s….here.” He bent around Lois’ legs and swept the boy up into his arms. “Gotcha!!”

The boy squirmed in Clark’s arms, screaming. “No fair. She helped you cheat.”

Lois’ mouth fell open. “I didn’t say anything. I swear.”

Clark laughed. “It’s okay, Lois. I saw him run over here.”

Lana ran up to them. “I think it’s time for someone to have some lunch.”

Clark grinned. “Good, ‘cause I’m starved.”

Lana laughed. “I was talking about him.” She gestured to her son.

“I knew that. I was only hoping you would take pity on me and get me something to eat too.”

Clark resorted to his secret weapon. The eyes. He made the puppy face. Lana threw up her hands. “You win. I’ll get you something too.”

Pete chimed in. “Me too.”

“You boys do know that I only have two hands, right! Yes, I’ll get you something too. Would you like me to bring you back a plate too, Lois?”

“What?” Lois had been distracted by something. “Oh, no thanks, Lana. I kinda lost my appetite.”

Jonathan and Clark exchanged glances. Never had Lois passed on Martha’s cooking before.

“But I’ll help you with your tall order. Mr. Kent? Uncle Gabe?”

They both smiled widely. Lois rolled her eyes. “Should’ve known. Food coming right up.”

“Clark honey, do you want a hot dog or a hamburger?”

Lois waited for Smallville to answer. She was confused when Lana’s son spoke up. “Hot dog with beans, mommy.”

“How come he answered when you asked Clark the question?”

“His name is Clark too.”

Lois started to laugh. She laughed so hard she had to hold her stomach. “I’m sorry.” Tears came to her eyes. “I just thought I heard you say your son’s name is Clark.”

Lana, among others, looked at Lois strangely. “It is his name, Lois. I thought you knew that.”

Lois covered her mouth. She quickly looked at all the people staring back at her. Lois said the first thing she could think of. “I’m drunk.”

Gabe slowly shook his head. “You are not, Lois.”

“I wish I were.” Lana pulled on Lois’ hand.

“Don’t worry, we all make fools of ourselves at one point or another.”

“Yeah, but not usually in front of everyone you know.”

Lana and Lois were filling up plates of food. Lois began to shovel one corn chip after another into her mouth. “You fink I would learnth to think befor If speakf.”

Lana smiled. “Lois, it really is okay. A lot of people thought it was weird that I named my son after Clark seeing as he’s not his father.”

Lois swallowed the corn chips. Wiping at her mouth. “Yeah, but it’s obvious your son adores Clark. And the feeling is very mutual. I guess it worked out for you though.”

“How do you mean?”

“Naming your son Clark. And now you’re marrying Clark.”

“Excuse me?”

Lois pointed at Lana’s left hand. The one sporting an incredible emerald cut diamond. “I had no idea Smallville had that kind of money.”

“Lois, Clark and I are not engaged.”

“Then what’s with the rock?”

“I am engaged. To Pete.”

A dozen emotions ran through Lois. Relief being the main one. She tried to hide this from Lana. Who saw right through her.

“Oh. Well congratulations.” Lois flashed Lana a brilliant smile.

After the two women delivered the plates of food, Lois took a walk by herself. She settled herself on the porch swing. Closing her eyes, she finally let the tears come. No matter how much time passed or how many people came into her life, Lois was not ready to let Clark go. The thought of him marrying someone else had cut her deep.

“Hypocrite.” Thinking of her own relationship.

“I don’t think you’re a hypocrite.” Lois was startled by Lana’s voice. She quickly wiped away her tears.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have snuck up on you.”

“No worries.”

“Do you mind if I join you?”

“Why not.”

Lana sat down, tucking a leg under her. “If anyone knows what you’re going through, it’s me.”

“What are you talking about?”

Lana looked at Lois out of the corner of her eye and smiled. “Clark.”

“What about him?”

“You hide it better than I ever did, but I can see it. You love him.”

Lois was shocked into silence. Her mouth opened and closed but nothing came out. Lana put her hand on Lois’ arm. “I won’t say anything to him. Chloe told me you’re in a pretty serious relationship now.”

“Kind of.”

“He’s not the easiest guy to get over.”

Lois looked down at her lap. “Are you over him?”

“Finally. It took a while though. I know I was still in love with him when my son was born.”

“Is that why you named him Clark?”

“Absolutely. To that point, Clark had been the most important man in my life. I’ve loved men before him and I’ve loved men after him, but there’s just something special about Clark Kent.”

“Tell me about it.”

“But, when Clark came back to Smallville after being gone so long, I realized I had been holding on to something that didn’t exist anymore. The Clark Kent I was in love with didn’t exist anymore. Don’t get me wrong, this Clark is amazing. I love him dearly, but not in that way anymore.” Lana wistfully sighed. “I’m in love with Pete.”

Lois smiled. “He seems like a great guy.”

Lana looked at Lois. “He’s wonderful. Clark adores him.”

“Your son, Clark.”

“Yes. The other Clark adores him too.”

Lois studied her fingers for a minute before asking. “And what is the other Clark up to?”

“I’m not going to tell you that. I think that’s something you should be asking Clark.” Leaning her head on the back of the porch swing. “I guess I understand it, but why didn’t you and Clark keep in touch?”

“I don’t know. Busy.” That sounded lame even to Lois. “Maybe we just weren’t ready to be whatever we’re supposed to be…friends, I guess.”

“I understand that. How about now?”

“Considering I almost freaked out over the thought you and he were getting married, I’d say I’m not ready yet.”

“Maybe if you gave him a chance, and got to know him again, you might find that you’re over him.”

“Maybe.”

The two women watched Clark, Pete and little Clark play with a baseball and bat. Lois smiled.

“He is a beautiful little boy.”

“Thank you. I can’t imagine my life without him now. He’s the best thing I’ve ever done.”

“And now you’ve got a great guy.”

“I’m really lucky. It’s funny, I never ever imagined my life to be like this. But, I wouldn’t want it any other way. All the mistakes. All the broken hearts. I wouldn’t change any of it.”

“I admire you, Lana.”

“Why? I’m not the one kicking butt at the Dailey Planet.”

“No, but you are raising a little boy who can be anything when he grows up. Anyone can make a baby. But it takes a good woman to raise a child right.”

“Thank you, Lois. I always felt like I was setting back the women’s movement by being happy to stay at home with Clark.”

“That’s silly. I think the women’s movement is about giving us choices. You the choice to focus on rearing Clark and me the choice to work myself to death.”

They laughed. Someone called Clark’s name. Both the big Clark and the little one looked. Lois shook her head. “Doesn’t it get confusing, having two Clarks around?”

Lana scrunched up her nose. “It kinda does. I don’t know what I was thinking. We can’t call him Clarkie because I know you used to call Shelby that.”

“True.”

“How about Clark Jr.”

“That’s not really going to work either.”

“How come?”

“Weeeell, I kinda dubbed Clark’s thing, Clark Jr.”

Lana looked at Lois with a puzzled expression. “Clark’s thing? Oh, you mean Clark’s thing.”

Lois nodded. “Let’s just call your Clark, Clark and we can call big Clark, Smallville. Try it out.”

Lana laughed a little. Then shouted. “Hey Smallville.”

Clark turned towards the voice. It wasn’t Lois. It was Lana.

Lana smiled. “Smallville. I like it.”

Lois grinned. Lana turned her attention back to Lois. “Now, about Clark Jr.”

Clark watched the two women burst into laughter. Lois talked animatedly while Lana looked on with supreme interest. Pete joined Clark. They watched Lois gesturing with her hands, measuring something out. Lana raised her eyebrows in shock.

“What do you think they’re talking about over there, Clark?”

Clark shook his head. “I’ve learned a long time ago not to ask what women talk about when they’re alone.”

“So, kick in the super hearing and find out.”

Clark watched as Lois and Lana laughed together. “Nah. It’s not our business, Pete. Besides, look at them. This is the first time I’ve seen both Lois and Lana worry free at the same time.”

“It helps when they’re no longer pining for the same guy.”

Clark chose to ignore that comment. “You’ve got a good woman, Pete.”

“Don’t I know it. But Clark?”

“Yeah?”

“How come you never told me what a knock out Lois is?”

“Don’t start, Pete.”

“I know. You’re over her. Blah, blah, blah. But that doesn’t mean she ain’t still a knock out.”

Clark chuckled. “That she is, Pete.”

“So you’re sure you’re over her?”

“Pete, I told the woman that I was in love with her and she brushed me off. There’s no way to build on that.”

“Maybe she’s changed. You certainly have. I bet you’ve never talked to her about it since.”

“As a matter of fact, I did. A couple of years ago.”

“Oh yeah, and did you tell her you still love her?”

“No. I won’t ever tell her that again.”

“Why not, man?”

“Because, she doesn’t feel the same way.”

“Right. And that’s why she freaked when she heard Lana’s son is named after you.”

“So it surprised her.”

“Wake up, Clark. She loves you. I spent five minutes with her and I could see it.”

“She might love me like a little brother or something.”

Pete slapped his forehead. “You are frustrating, man. You may have grown up in a lot of ways, but you are still the densest guy when it comes to women. You and Lois aren’t going to do this dance forever. One of these days, she’s going to up and marry someone else. Ever think about how that would make you feel?”

Clark fingered the baseball glove in his hands. “Look, I appreciate what you’re trying to do, but it’s not going to happen. Lois and I are not going to happen.”

“Why not?”

Clark had fire in his eyes. But not the kind of fire that would burn his best friend. “She’s not in love with me. And she never will be.”

“Are you really sure about that? Because if there’s even one iota of a chance that she does love you, don’t you think you should take the chance and find out? I’m telling you man, it’s worth it.”

Clark sighed. “I’m not like you, Pete.”

“No, you’re not. You’ve had every single girl throw herself at you. You just had to snap your fingers and bam, you had Chloe or Lana or Alicia. Shall I go on? But Lois is different. She’s not that easy to get. And man, you are not willing to fight for her? Maybe you’ve been spoiled by the ‘I love Clark Kent’ fan club for too long. But, I’m your best friend, and I am telling you this because I love you, man. Lois is the kind of woman that comes around once in a lifetime. Don’t throw that chance away because you’re scared of being hurt, or humiliated. It’s worth it.”

“Why do I have to fight for her? Why can’t she fight for me? Do you see her coming after me to Smallville?”

“Do you really want to play this game, Clark? Listen, I know that she hurt you. She hurt you bad.” Pete put his hand on Clark’s shoulder. “But that was more than seven years ago. Do you want to pass up on your future because of what happened in the past?”

“Pete, you’re talking as if Lois has declared her love for me and I’m stalling. She has a life, a life that doesn’t include me. And that was her choice.”

Pete sadly shook his head. “I’m sorry for you, Clark. You don’t see it. But the rest of us, your folks, Lana, even Chloe, we all see it. You and Lois belong together. It makes me sad that you’re the last person who seems to get it.”

“I got it, Pete. I got it seven years ago. She didn’t. Lois didn’t want me then, and she doesn’t want me now.” Clark took a deep breath. “She’s seeing someone.”

It hurt Clark to say that out loud, but he had caught the tail end of Chloe filling his mom in on Lois’ boyfriend, the one man in the world richer than Lex Luthor…Bruce Wayne.

“I’m not that naïve to think she wasn’t seeing people all this time, but to put a name and face to it.”

Clark sat down in the grass. “It brings back everything she said. How I couldn’t offer her the things she needed. That I could only offer her this farm and how she’d end up hating me for it.”

Pete squatted down next to Clark. “But this farm isn’t all that you can offer her, Clark. You could literally give that woman the moon.”

“I would never use my powers to get Lois. Never.”

“And that’s why you are who you are. A great man.”

“A great man she doesn’t want.”

“I tried. I’m telling you that if you gave Lois just one sign that you still loved her, she would meet you half way this time.”

Clark swallowed back the tears. “I can’t do it.” He looked at Lois on the porch swing as Chloe joined the festivities. “As much as I want her, I can’t put myself through that again.”

“I’ll leave it alone then.”

“Are you serious? Someone’s been sending you a rose every day for the last two and a half years?”

“It’s insane, I know! At first I thought it was Bruce Wayne, but then he went all gaga over this one [gesturing towards Lois] so that theory was shot to hell.”

Lana pondered the situation. “And the cards are always blank?”

Chloe and Lois nodded.

“How about the flower shop? Have you called them? What am I saying, you two are brilliant investigative reporters. I’m sure you checked every lead.”

“Twice.”

Lana frowned in thought. “You said this happened right after you two had dinner with Bruce.”

“Yeah.”

“You said Lex was there too?”

Chloe waved him off. “He doesn’t matter.”

“Did you ever think it could be Lex?”

Chloe snorted. “It’s not him.”

“Why wouldn’t you think so? He certainly has the money to keep this up.”

“Lex Luthor has never been interested in me. He had the hots for you, Lana. And then there was the whole sex incident with Lois.”

Lois groaned. “Can we please never ever mention that again?”

“Sorry cuz.”

Lana shrugged. “I don’t think you should rule Lex out.”

Lois shook her head. “Seriously, Lana. This guy is in the society pages nearly every day and he’s always with another bimbo. It’s not him.”

“I guess not then.”

“I just wish this guy would hurry up and reveal himself. I’m in some serious need of action.”

Lois and Lana bust out laughing.

“You two can just shut up! It’s not like either of you are suffering any deprivation.”

Lois smiled sadly. Love the one you’re with and not the one you love. At least it was something.

Comment

really that was the best i have ever read. i hope you update soon.
                              PPMS!

Comment

woh!!!!! this is such a great story!!!!!!!!!! ur a great writer Danabutterfly, i cant wait for ur nxt update.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎