No announcement yet.

Lana in this episode

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kryptonian Snake
    But she can be there for Clark even if they aren't a couple. For me, the problem with Lana's actions was that she simply cut Clark out of the process, when the two of them should have come together as mutual friends of Chloe. Way back in "Nocturne" she got upset with Clark for trying to help Byron without including her. To me, Lana's comments were odd because the status of their relationship is irrelevant to their lack of communication during this episode.
    No argument on any of these points. I was simply commenting on the large number of times I've seen some version of this quote:

"What's her deal? I thought they were broken up?"

I think that whole conversation was poorly constructed. It was a classic "float" scene, where the writers have some future target "event" in mind (like them breaking up for good in a few episodes, maybe) and they need a scene with the two of them together, but where nothing concrete happens, and there is no hint of resolution in sight. Hence, the "float".

I've defended Lana's actions in this episode plenty before this, so I won't bother again here. But this conversation was more about them as a couple than it was about Chloe anyway. It would probably do them some good to focus on something other than them as a couple, but that would lead to some resolutions, and they (the writers) aren't ready for that to happen just yet. Just a very awkward scene all the way around.

Comment

• Re: Lana in this episode

Originally posted by alm26
      Let me start off by saying that I really enjoyed the episode. I think the acting was very good, especially by Allison, she was so amazing, and the plot was pretty good in my opinion as well. Even so, there was something that I really hated about this episode, and it was, in a word, Lana.

First it would’ve been really nice to see Lana stick up for Clark when Lex was being a total jerk at the dormitory, and the fact that she didn’t believe in Chloe didn’t make her anymore appealing either.
      You are forgetting that Chloe was walking around staring at the floor saying "Look at all this blood" when there really was none at all. If that was your friend, I'm sure you'd react the way Lana did, thinking Chloe was imagining things.

Comment

• Re: Re: Lana in this episode

Originally posted by Lana's Devious
        You are forgetting that Chloe was walking around staring at the floor saying "Look at all this blood" when there really was none at all. If that was your friend, I'm sure you'd react the way Lana did, thinking Chloe was imagining things.
        thats a good point, BUT, we can argue or discuss about that situation forever.

Comment

• Re: Re: Re: Lana in this episode

Originally posted by attitudejc
          thats a good point, BUT, we can argue or discuss about that situation forever.
          I agree with that 100%.

Comment

• The problem I have with Lana is after she sees the shape Chole is in why not go to Gabe or Clark, why go to Lex? I mean its like she did not consider anyone else, and she has to know as Chole best firend that Chole doesnt like him so why go to him?

It really feels to me like she betrayed Chole to Lex. . .

Comment

• well, clark or gabe wasn't in belle reeve before nor were they considered crazy. maybe she just thought that he would understand more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wildfire
                The problem I have with Lana is after she sees the shape Chole is in why not go to Gabe or Clark, why go to Lex? I mean its like she did not consider anyone else, and she has to know as Chole best firend that Chole doesnt like him so why go to him?

It really feels to me like she betrayed Chole to Lex. . .
                I'm begnning to think that what Lana did was more a sign of her immaturity and lack of family structure than anything else. She doesn't think of seeking out Nell or Henry when she has a problem, so it doesn't occur to her to go to Gabe or Lois. Although I'm still not sure why she wouldn't go to Clark. That's just odd.

Comment

• Originally posted by Watching Smallville
                  I'm begnning to think that what Lana did was more a sign of her immaturity and lack of family structure than anything else. She doesn't think of seeking out Nell or Henry when she has a problem, so it doesn't occur to her to go to Gabe or Lois. Although I'm still not sure why she wouldn't go to Clark. That's just odd.
                  I wrote this a while back on the whole Lana going to Lex vs. Clark issue:

[clip]
                  Case in point, "Tomb". Was it the wrong move to go to Lex? I think there is a pretty solid consensus on that. Should she have gone to Clark? Maybe. But Clark's reaction to Chloe's situation was to break her out of the psych ward. 2 questions on this: 1) In Lana's mind, was this the best possible course of action for Chloe, given that she believed Chloe was "unbalanced" to say the least, and 2) In Lana's mind, would the point of going to Clark be that he would immediately break her out?

My answer to the first question is no - she believed Chloe needed professional care, not a get out of jail free card. You can argue about whether she *should* have jumped to the "Chloe would never kill herself, she must be possessed" conclusion, but that's just not how she thinks. Her focus is always on the practical, the tangible first, and is constantly shocked by the supernatural or the unbelievable. Chloe being possessed is not the first thing she would have thought of - probably was not even on the list of things she would consider without definitely proof - and settled on the easiest, most likely scenario, that there was something very wrong with Chloe. That, to Lana, would not imply an exorcism, it would imply doctors with expertise in this area. A la Belle Reve.

My answer to the second question is also no - breaking Chloe out was not her goal and she would not assume that the first thing Clark would do would be to break her out. If her goal HAD been to break Chloe out, would she have gone to Lex? No, she's have turned to Clark.

But what did she know at this point? She knew Lex had been in a similar circumstance, she knew that when he came out of Belle Reve he was much improved, and she knew that, out of anyone in Smallville, he was the probably the only one with the means to help Chloe in that way. So, she went to him. Was this the right call? No. Did she do it for the right reasons? Of course, which is usually the case when she makes mistakes.

Comment

• Originally posted by jwoodie
                    I wrote this a while back on the whole Lana going to Lex vs. Clark issue:

[clip]
                    Case in point, "Tomb". Was it the wrong move to go to Lex? I think there is a pretty solid consensus on that. Should she have gone to Clark? Maybe. But Clark's reaction to Chloe's situation was to break her out of the psych ward. 2 questions on this: 1) In Lana's mind, was this the best possible course of action for Chloe, given that she believed Chloe was "unbalanced" to say the least, and 2) In Lana's mind, would the point of going to Clark be that he would immediately break her out?

My answer to the first question is no - she believed Chloe needed professional care, not a get out of jail free card. You can argue about whether she *should* have jumped to the "Chloe would never kill herself, she must be possessed" conclusion, but that's just not how she thinks. Her focus is always on the practical, the tangible first, and is constantly shocked by the supernatural or the unbelievable. Chloe being possessed is not the first thing she would have thought of - probably was not even on the list of things she would consider without definitely proof - and settled on the easiest, most likely scenario, that there was something very wrong with Chloe. That, to Lana, would not imply an exorcism, it would imply doctors with expertise in this area. A la Belle Reve.

My answer to the second question is also no - breaking Chloe out was not her goal and she would not assume that the first thing Clark would do would be to break her out. If her goal HAD been to break Chloe out, would she have gone to Lex? No, she's have turned to Clark.

But what did she know at this point? She knew Lex had been in a similar circumstance, she knew that when he came out of Belle Reve he was much improved, and she knew that, out of anyone in Smallville, he was the probably the only one with the means to help Chloe in that way. So, she went to him. Was this the right call? No. Did she do it for the right reasons? Of course, which is usually the case when she makes mistakes.
                    Holla!

Comment

• I can't believe I'm doing this as a Die Hard CHLoisark. to start KK was BRILLIANT as

LANA and the way she talked to Lex was Flawless. The subtext and the rolling of her eyes, PERFECT!

a Few people are getting it and Some are Missing it.

Lana's Mind set: My thoughts and others that pointed it out also.[list=1][*]After seeing Chloe go crazy in the hospital and standing there unable to help really hurts, and makes me distrought. "I'm going to do something to help. and Not be helpless, even If I have to ask Lex for Chloe's sake."[*]IF my Best Friend needs help I'm going to do whatever i can to help her. I don't care if my boyfriend is also my bestfriend's Friend. [*]"Let's see Lex has experience and the means why can't I ask him?" myankskent
                      Liriel
                      I don't fault Lana for going to Lex for help - farmer's son doesn't exactly have the ability to pull strings to get Chloe into a "top-notch" (I know, it's hard not to laugh) facility.
                      [*]"Even though Lex is a bit secretive, he always comes clean when i confront him", " he gives valid reasons why he keeps secrets from me" myankskent Lex: "normal people don't come back from the dead."[*]"Lex is still a Friend and He still can be turnred to for advice and help." BoSoxJim[*]"I can't seem to talk to Clark anymore, everytime i get intimate he keeps changing the subject"[*]Lana came to Clark TONS of times ALL through out SMALLVILLE and Clark pulls back everytime. Fly by guy[*]"Clark's Dad died I don't want bother him details that i do myself, like ASKing for HELP, which Clark never comes to me for help." (he always goes to Chloe that Boyfriend stealing B )
                      Crazy4Smallville
                      Lana is supposed to be Chloe's best friend. A best friend would know that Chloe is not the suicidal type. No one has their future mapped out in bolder print than Chloe Sullivan. A girl with dreams and ambitions doesn't think about committing suicide.

Also, Chloe is in Smallville. Lana should always question anything that happens out of the ordinary in Smallville. Lana knows about possession - she was possessed by Dawn for Prom, yet not once did it occur to Lana that Chloe wasn't herself? Is she that dense, self-absorbed and stupid?
                      jwoodie[/list=1]Clark's Mind Set: My thoughts and others that pointed it out also.[list=1][*]"I can't tell Lana my Feelings Now, cause of the 100th eps." SmallvilleMan [*]"If Lana knows my secret and she gets Hurt because of it, I'll never forgive myself."[*]"My Dad just died I have other Responsibilitites to attend to than my selfish love with Lana."[*]Clark can't confide with Lana with his Secrets. only Chloe can understand and have an Idea what he's going through.
                      Originally posted by myankskent
                      You trash Lana for not going to Clark with the problem and going to Lex. Let me ask you something, who does clark go to for help, Lana or Chloe? And why does Clark go to Chloe? That's right, because he is actually honest with her and not honest with Lana. I love it how people rip on a girl who is constantly being lied to and call her whimpy and say that she complains about everything.
                      [/list=1]Gabe Mind set:[list=1][*]"My Boss is Paying for my daughters Medical services. She's going to get the BEST Medical Attention and I'm supposed to say NO?"[*]Do you still need that scene to be shown or the fans knows and it's easily understood.[/list=1]Chloe's Mind set: *blub* *blub* *blub* "I'm crazy, No one is listening to me, and my opinion doesn't count" *blub* *blub* *blub*
                      People are forgeting what each character knows myankskent
                      It's not that I hate Lana, I just don't care about her.

Boy does my eyes hurt from reading all those text

Comment

• I know this thread pretty much died out in 2006, but I just watched this episode again and thought I'd throw in my two cents.

My biggest problem with this episode is that people forget: they're living in SMALLVILLE! Land of Weird and Home of Unexplained--Chloe says something like that herself, right? They've seen hundreds of things so far that would definitely fall into the category of "unusual" and it shocks me that they don't even pause to think, "Hey, maybe Chloe isn't crazy." Out of all of them, Clark was the only one who knew Chloe had a family history of mental illness so he had the most reason to think Chloe was indeed going crazy... But everyone else just suddenly assumes--out of the blue--that Chloe's so mentally unstable that she's going to start cutting herself and hallucinating? What?

As for Lana going to Lex... I definitely understand why she did it and in her situation, it was a very reasonable and caring thing to do. I just wish she had talked to others about it--like Clark, who is Chloe's best friend and Lois, who is Chloe's cousin. Even if she didn't talk to them *first*, you'd think she'd talk to them about it before a decision's made? Like before Lex says, "Yup, I'll make the call and get the best medical team out here". Lana acted as though she were Chloe's sole caretaker and it just doesn't seem like what a person would do in that situation. Like she said, people would try to come together in such situations and it felt like she was deliberately leaving out the people that care about Chloe the most. Just more than that... what made her think she or Lex should make the decision about where Chloe receives her care?

"Why didn't you tell me you went to Lex?" "Why didn't you tell me you broke Chloe out of the psych ward?" ... "Because you went to Lex and he was insisting that Chloe be transferred to Belle Reve where I previously watched him be electrocuted?" Seriously, Lana, as good as your intentions were, who broke whose trust first? I completely understand that Clark is just about the most secretive and--let's be fair--dishonest person on the planet, but you don't just leave him out of the loop for something like this! This is his best friend we're talking about. Eye for an eye is NOT the mind-frame you should be in when dealing with Chloe's mental health. Honestly, it is incredible that Clark had the energy left to remain in the relationship. What with all the lying he has to do and the defending and the explaining and the accepting the fact that Lana trusts Lex more than she trusts him... How is he not just emotionally drained? Or even Lana for that matter? If she didn't trust Clark to make the right decision about Chloe's medical care... what DOES she trust him with? And if she doesn't trust him at all anymore... for God's sake, Lana, why are you with him still?

Coming to that point: why DID Lana keep the Lex-thing a secret? She couldn't possibly have known that Clark would break Chloe out of the hospital if he found out, right? And if she did know that, did she ever stop to think maybe he had a good reason for it?

I just wish Clark had come clean and told her the reason why he doesn't want Chloe transferred to Belle Reve. It's not really a secret that Lex was zapped to kingdom come while he was in there, is it? Or that he was held in solitary confinement for days (that REALLY takes a toll on a person's brain!)? I feel like Lana would have understood that reasoning, but that's the problem with their relationship--neither of them trusts each other. Jeez, it's exhausting for ME to watch them together and I don't even have to deal with the drama every day!

By the end of every single episode, I sit in my couch DREADING the upcoming Clana scene. It's like TPTB have the perfectly infuriating formula down for their conversation:
                        Step 1: Lana walks into the barn (or the house just to mix things up once in a while) with some semblance of an olive branch.
                        Step 2: On his better days, Clark is brave enough to try to stand up to her about something that he feels she did wrong.
                        Step 3: Lana retorts with a single-liner about how Clark is the hypocrite here, when in fact her own single-liner shows the viewers how much of a hypocrite he is.
                        Step 4: Clark's bravado--SQUASHED!
                        Step 5: Lana blames all of the world's problems on Clark, makes herself the saint in the situation, and walks out on him.
                        Step 6: Viewers--despair that your incredibly kind and wonderful hero was belittled once again by Ms. Lana Mary-Sue Lang!

Grr.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎