Revelations

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revelations

Revelations

This is my first humble attempt at a fic. It takes place nine years in the future. After his dad died Clark pushed Lana away. Lana still roomed with Chloe during college, but avoided any contact with Clark. After graduating from MetU she moved to New York.

When Chloe had called with the big news that she was getting married Lana had been thrilled when she asked her to be a brides maid. Though Lana had moved to New York years ago to pursue her artistic dreams, they had always remained close. Chloe had been so focused on her career that Lana had been surprised when she had started dating Nathan (or “Dr. Nate” as they had dubbed him in their emails and phone calls) so seriously.

Finding out Clark was the best man had dampened her excitement. Apparently he had introduced the two of them. Unable to reach Clark on his cell, Chloe had tracked him down at the gym. Nathan had been among a group of guys Clark played basketball with once a week. The moment he saw Chloe he was smitten and begged Clark for weeks to hook them up.

Finally Clark relented and one fateful day Nathan “unexpectedly” ran into them at their usual coffee shop. When Clark introduced him as Dr. Nathan Roberts Chloe was unimpressed. And from that moment forward Dr. Nate devoted himself to the pursuit of her heart. And two years later here they were at their rehearsal dinner.

“Can I have everyone’s attention,“ Nathan said as he stood up. “I’d like to thank everyone here for being a part of our special day” taking Chloe’s hand he went on “Tomorrow I marry the most amazing woman I’ve ever met. I never knew I could love so deeply, so completely until I met you.” he said raising her hand to his lips and softly kissing it. “I want to especially thank Clark Kent, who without she wouldn’t have even taken a second look at me.”

“Not true” protested Chloe.

Lana took the opportunity to glance at Clark , who was smiling and shaking his head at his friends. Thankfully she hadn’t had to talk to him yet. The preparations for the wedding hadn’t allowed any time for more than a quick hello. She decided it wouldn’t be too difficult to avoid him over the next day or so.

As the toasts continued Lana let her mind wander. Being dateless at a wedding, a wedding where an old flame would also be, was not what she had planned. It had barely been a week since she and Josh had broken up. They had fought again, the same old fight they always had. He called her detached, and told her that she was going through the motions, but her heart wasn’t in the relationship. He slammed the door behind him when he stormed out of her apartment.

She had tried to protest, but the truth was hard to deny. It had been the same with every boyfriend she had had over the past nine years. She tried to ignore it but she knew exactly what her problem was. Every guy she met she measured against Clark. None of them came close, none of them made her feel the way Clark had made her feel. She looked over at him and Lois, they appeared to be each others date. It wasn’t all that surprising, there had always had a spark between them. Still she felt a twinge of jealousy.

As the dinner wound down Lana was ready to head to her hotel. After the long day starting with the flight to Metropolis, then the rehearsal, and finally dinner, she was worn out. She made her way over to the happy couple to say good bye. After hugs and a reminder of which salon they were meeting at to get their hair done in the morning she found herself standing on the curb waiting for a cab.

“Hey Lana” someone called from behind her.

“Clark” isn’t this great she thought sarcastically.

“Going back to your hotel?” he asked.

“Yeah, its been a long day.” Her eyes desperately searched the street for a taxi.

“Want a ride?”

“That’s alright, I’ll just catch a cab.” Lana said as she squinted, trying to see further down the street.

“Are you sure? It might be a while.”

“Yeah, I don’t mind.” Trying to change the subject she asked “Where’s Lois?”

“She’s talking to Chloe.”

“You’re not taking your date home?”

“She turned down my offer of a ride too. We‘re just friends. Her first choice was unable to attend. And, as Lois likes to tell me, monks have more exciting love lives than I do.”

“Oh” she said looking at him.

“So, how have you been?” It was his turn to change the subject.

“Great.” It wasn’t a complete lie. There were things about her life she loved, but true happiness eluded her. “How about you?”

“I’m good” he said. “How’s New York?”

“It‘s good.”

“I hear you’re quiet the success in the New York art scene.”

“Yeah, things are really starting to take off” she said. “How about you? What is it like to be a big shot, award winning journalist?”

“Well” he said, “I’ve had some luck. But I really love what I do.”

So, Clark was still humble. It was nice that some things didn’t change. But there was something about him that had changed since their days in Smallville. He carried himself differently. There was an air of confidence around him.

“You seem different.” She said as a cab pulled up, much to her relief.

“Must be the glasses” he said with a teasing smile as he opened the door of the cab for her.

“That must be it” she answered, returning his smile without realizing it. As Clark closed the door behind her, their eyes met for a moment. Her stomach was suddenly full of butterflies. While the cab merged into traffic she stole a look back and saw him standing on the curb, watching her slowly move away.

1st!

kool awsome new story cant wait 4 more PPMS!!!

Comment

that was great...love more...ppms!!!
      oh yeah and welcome "LetMeGo"

Comment

great writing and keep this going please!

Comment

great story so far. i hope theirs a little superman actions soon.
          PPMS!

Comment

This is great! PPMS!

Comment

i can't wait to see where this goes!

Comment

Post more that was GREAT.

Comment

Hey, no need to be humble! That was a really great start. I can't wait to see where this goes. Your writing is great and the story seems interesting. PPMS!

Comment

great! ppms!

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome! I’m glad you all like it. Here’s the update!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Clark stood there until the cab turned the corner before heading off to the parking garage. Seeing Lana after all these years had been tougher than he thought it would be. He had put all of that behind him, or so he had wanted to believe. He still felt badly about how he had treated her, he had been so young and stupid back then.

The loss of his father had hit him hard. The guilt he felt from choosing Lana without a thought as to who it might affect weighted heavily on his conscience. And though he never blamed Lana he had found it hard to be around her at the time. It wasn’t until his junior year of college that he had been able to find true peace over his father’s death and his role in it.

The past few months of Chloe and Nathan’s excitement over their up coming wedding had left him with an unexpected sadness. Thoughts of what might have been had entered his mind unbidden. The memory was so clear. He could still see Lana’s face as he told her the truth about himself and proposed. When she had accepted… he had never felt joy as intensely as he did in that moment. It was a picture that lived in his heart alone. For all intents and purposes it had never even happened.

He hadn’t allowed himself to love again. He dated here and there, but when things started veering toward serious he would quickly break it off. He kept his distance because it was too dangerous to let anyone in and he didn’t want to lie. He’d seen where that led. He had begun to believe his path in life was one he would walk alone.

On rare lonely nights he would fantasize about having a family. Their house would have a white picket fence, and of course they’d have a dog. Their children would be adorable, one boy, one girl. He’d take the family to the farm for Christmases and for summers. His mother longed for grandchildren, she would spoil them to no end. His wife would be kind, gracious, loving, and gentle… and though he fought it, it was always Lana’s face he saw.

Her dreams that night were full of Clark. All of the sweet moments they had shared, and all of the bitter ones. When she woke up the next morning she cursed herself for dreaming about him. Her plan to avoid him sounded better the more she thought about it. She just had to make it through the day and tomorrow she’d fly back to New York, leaving the past where it belonged.

After grabbing a quick breakfast at a small café, a favorite from her college days, she made it to the salon just as Chloe and Lois were pulling into the parking lot. When they walked in together they found the two other brides maids waiting inside. Then started a whirlwind of manicures, pedicures, and facials. They gossiped, laughed, reminisced, and debated how each of them should have their hair done. Finally they agreed that each of them looked stunning. Finding that they had just enough time to get to the church and change before the photographer got there, they piled into Lois’ car.

The ceremony was starting and Lana suddenly felt nervous. Chloe’s giddiness must be contagious she decided giving one last hug and encouraging smile to Chloe before taking her place in line. Standing at the front of the church after taking her turn in the procession she watched as Lois and Clark made their way toward her. Once again Clark’s eyes found hers and he held her gaze until the bridal march started and everyone’s attention was directed to Chloe and her father walking down the aisle.

Chloe was truly radiant. Lana was happy for her friend, a friend that had been a sister to her in so many ways. Her predisposition to cry at weddings kicked in, and she dabbed at her eyes with a tissue. The ceremony was beautiful and touching. After the exchange of vows and rings, the minister pronounced them husband and wife, and instructed them to kiss. And the music started up again.

Taking the arm of her assigned groomsman, Lana followed Lois and Clark out of the sanctuary. She pondered the way Clark had been looking at her earlier. It was extremely annoying that he could stir up so many feelings with a glance. She didn’t need any more complications in her life. Tomorrow she would leave, all she had to do was get through the reception. Steering clear of Clark shouldn’t be that hard.

Comment

I can't wait to see how this story progresses! PPMS!

Comment

.........updarte please.....

Comment

that was a great post. hope you put some Superman kicking some butt in this story.
                            PPMS!

Comment

Thanks! We’ll see Superman a couple times in the story.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clark sat alone jabbing his fork at a piece of cake. He looked up and saw that Lana was with the same guy she had been dancing with all night. She hadn’t even looked in his direction since the wedding. It was pretty clear how she felt. Not that he could blame her. It was better this way, he told himself.

“Lighten up Smallville” came a familiar voice.

“Lois” he said, trying to smile.

“This is a wedding, you’re suppose to have fun.”

“I am having fun.”

“Sure, that’s why you look like someone ran over your dog.” She said rolling her eyes. “Come on Clark, you’re going to dance with me.”

“Uh, I don’t really dance.”

“That isn’t going to work” she said grabbing his hand. He reluctantly allowed her to drag him to the dance floor as the next song started.

“Oh no,” he groaned when he recognized the fist few bars of the Village People’s Y.M.C.A.

Thankfully the guy she was dancing with (Mark… Matt… She was pretty sure it started with an M) wasn’t bad looking. More importantly her plan was working Clark was keeping his distance. As the song ended she excused herself and headed toward the bar. She didn’t get very far when she saw Clark and realized their paths would cross. Thinking fast she pulled out her cell and became very intent on checking her messages.

“Lana”

“Oh, Clark” she tried to sound surprised. “I’ve got to return this call” she held up her phone as proof.

Noticing a door near the bar that the waiting staff must have left open, she slipped out into the alley behind the reception hall. Dodged another bullet she thought, patting herself on the back. None of the messages were urgent, but she figured she might as well make a couple calls since she had a few minutes. She started dialing when out of nowhere a man grabbed her and shoved a gun in her face.

She screamed but knew no one would hear her over the music playing inside. Knowing that if he dragged her off somewhere she wouldn’t stand a chance, she fruitlessly struggled to free herself from his vice like grip. Suddenly there was flash of red and blue and her assailant was thrown in the air, landing in a dumpster thirty feet away. Her rescuer stood with his back to her, and she immediately saw that it was Metropolis’ famous hero Superman.

“Are you alright Ma‘am?” he asked turning around.

“Y…” the word had barely formed on her lips when she saw his face. The shock hit her like a freight train. “Yes.” She somehow managed to force the word out.

He nodded and said, “Try to be more aware of your surroundings in the future.” He left to collect the now groaning man in the dumpster.

“Thank you, Clark” she whispered.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎