No announcement yet.

Ep 4.20 - Ageless

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Supsfan
    The rapidly aging baby that explodes at the end was idiotic. They basically tried to recreate Ryan plus do a terrible homage to moments of Clark's life(finding the baby and say I don't think we found him he found us, having the kid run away because his dad is a dick, the kid wanting to see a windmill etc) in a cheesy way and the episode fell flat on it's face because by the end of the episode you can care less about the kid who blows up. It's hard to get past anything else in this episode beyond that(ie nice Clana, Lex or Lionel, etc)
    I guess it all comes down to different tastes here, because I thought the actors who played the aging kid did a great job and really made me feel emotionally invested. And as for "cheesiness", I don't see how "rapidly aging kid" is any more cheesy than any of the other Freaks of the Week. Just IMO of course.

Comment

Originally posted by MozartRequiem
      I guess it all comes down to different tastes here, because I thought the actors who played the aging kid did a great job and really made me feel emotionally invested. And as for "cheesiness", I don't see how "rapidly aging kid" is any more cheesy than any of the other Freaks of the Week. Just IMO of course.
      When something comes across cheesy when it's trying to be passed off as serious, that is a problem. Now when something is cheesy and the cheesyness is played up that way then it's much easier to get pass. I don't think Ageless was trying to come off cheesy basically while something say like Amy Adams eating a deer in Craving was ment as 100% cheese, so it's much easier to take the deer eating in stride

Also I don't see the rapidly aging kid as cheesy, I see him trying to relive Clark moments as cheesy(ie Clark giving us I don't think we found him, he found us line to Lana or the kid running away because he has problems with his father)

How about this doozy of a line that I assume wasn't ment to be cheesy

Clark: Where are you going?
      Evan: Dad! Mom's taking me to see a real windmill. Wanna come?
      Clark: Um...Evan... listen... we're not your real parents.
      Evan: Everyone's supposed to have a mother and father. And they're supposed to love each other very much, just like you and Lana.

Ok so in one sentence he refers to Lana as "Mom" and in the next he refers to her as "Mother" then "Lana"

Let's not forget the father falling on a spike and dieing and then being ignored the rest of the episode. I have to admit I do find that scene hilarious it so bad.
      Last edited by Supsfan; 03-20-2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

This episode is utter crap. Super fast pregnancy powers? Sheeesh...The kid got annoying in his teenage form and I felt no sympathy for him. Is it bad I wanted him to die?

Well there is one redeeming moment of this episode. It has one of the greatest Lionel Luthor moments: when he poisons Genevieve. LOVED that part. I could just watch it for the Lionel/Genevieve scenes..

Hmmm...what would I rate this episode? Definitely like a 3 or 4! I'll give it a 4 for the Lionel/Genevieve scenes!

Comment

Despite trying to show off themes and motifs like the responsibility of fatherhood, or maybe the difficulties one faces when they are essentially a 'freak', and despite Tom making Clark look like he's a natural with kids, and despite Lionel showing us a glimpse of a return to his old MB ways, the A-plot still ended up looking like a Clana fanfic.

Comment

When an episode title rhymes with "pointless", one should perhaps not hope for much. Like other posters have noted, this episode was likely trying to recreate "Stray"/"Ryan". In the end, it didn't work. This Evan kid isn't Ryan. Ryan had lived a real life (giving him a backstory, that made us care for him) and bonded with Clark organically, over two episodes. Evan is born, grows up and dies in a single episode. There is no bond, between Evan, the characters (apart from the episode insisting that there is, but you don't feel it) or the audience. The logic behind the Evan character is another issue. He's first introduced as an infant, then he suddenly turns into a seven year old. He's now able to walk, talk and read. No explaination is given how he's managed to developed these skills (that people usually has to learn, over the course of years from outside sources). Does his accelerated aging magically bestow him with the knowledge and skills, appropriate to his current biological age?

Then you have the scene, where Evan's father dies. After the father dies, Evan gets sad and keeps saying "dad". I didn't feel anything at that moment. These characters have no previous history with each other, that would justify an emotional moment. They've just met for the first time. They got into a argument, where the father rejected Evan and accidently died. We're not talking about a father, that Evan's known for years. He's a complete stranger, that Evan's just met and was rejected by. Yet, he's suddenly "dad".

Overall, the episode becomes more of an excuse to have Clark and Lana play house (because it's totally believeable that two barely 18 year old teens would be allowed to care for an unrelated infant, by the authorities).

The subplot between Lionel and Jane Seymour was the best part of the episode. If I were to say one positive thing about the A plot, is that they acknowledge that they need matching bone marrow, when Lex speculates that a bone marrow transplant could cure Evan and Lana offers some of hers. I just liked that they acknowledged, that you can't just randomly take bone marrow from a random donor. You need a matching donor. Actual medical science is often ignored in movies and TV shows.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎