No announcement yet.

Ep 4.19 - Blank

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Freawaru
    I actually meant Sisko/Gul Dukat. At the beginning of DS9 Sisko would tell Dax or Kira about a talk with Dukat and I kept wondering how he got the information from Dukat without Dukat explicitly saying it. It took me a while to see that they used some kind of code, with implications and hints and knowing what the other knew or could reason out. Lex and Lionel converse in a similar way. At times I broke down every sentence they said to each other, trying to find out what they meant by recollecting all information they had on each other and on Clark for example. Also, the acting is often necessary to include. For example, in the end of "Mercy" Lionel says something to Lex that might sound harsh ("Clark is a son every father can be proud of") but from the acting it is clear that Lionel was very pleased with Lex and had no intention of hurting him. And Lex looked thoughtful not hurt afterwards. Since season one it was established that Lionel would reward Lex with information when he was pleased by Lex's behaviour and I think one has to interpret what Lionel said in "Mercy" in this fashion.
    Sorry, I know you meant Dukat in that example - I was just adding that when Sisko and Garka were interacting, we got great conversations too. I can't recall the name at the minute, but the epsiode where Sisko enlists Garak's help in getting the Romulans involved in the Dominion War comes to mind.

Also, my post was edited because it was off-topic - basically, watch Lost. You'll like it a lot, I think (Hope that doesn't break the rules too)
    Last edited by Arbar; 07-12-2012, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arbar
      Sorry, I know you meant Dukat in that example - I was just adding that when Sisko and Garak were interacting, we got great conversations too. I can't recall the name at the minute, but the epsiode where Sisko enlists Garak's help in getting the Romulans involved in the Dominion War comes to mind.
      In the Pale Moonlight (DS9 6x19)

Comment

• Originally posted by Arbar
        Sorry, I know you meant Dukat in that example - I was just adding that when Sisko and Garka were interacting, we got great conversations too.
        I agree.

I can't recall the name at the minute, but the epsiode where Sisko enlists Garak's help in getting the Romulans involved in the Dominion War comes to mind.
        We are re-watching Next Generation - after that we will re-watch DS9, and I will pay attention to this style of communication and compare it more to SV. My point is that the complicated Lex/Lionel dialogues are not that difficult to interpret if one keeps those from DS9 in mind. And very different in meaning than on first look, too. I hope Clark will learn how to communicate in this style in SVS11 because it would ease his dealings with "villains".

Also, my post was edited because it was off-topic - basically, watch Lost. You'll like it a lot, I think (Hope that doesn't break the rules too)
        Thank you for the recommendation. I will look for it.

----- Added 55 Seconds later -----

Originally posted by DJ Doena
        In the Pale Moonlight (DS9 6x19)
        Thank you.
        Last edited by Freawaru; 07-13-2012, 08:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Never really thought about this episode too much when I first saw it but upon re-watches, I tend to like it! Originally I thought it was just unnecessary to have him lose his memories if he was going to gain them all back again but now I appreciate it for the character development. I like seeing how all the characters react to amnesia-Clark especially Lex. I like he subtly trying to manipulate Clark.

Also Kevin Grady was an interesting FotW. I enjoyed his story line and he was actually like-able (hard to say that about a lot of season 4 FotWs). I like how he protected Clark's secret in the end and how Clark just let him go.

Great epi!

9/10

Comment

• Interesting concept in this one - how does Clark protect a secret he doesn't know he has? The writers did a good job of showing Chloe protecting it on his behalf when his complete-memory self doesn't know she knows about him, and it made her learning about his abilities in an earlier episode key to the plot. They also had Lex being subtly manipulative in getting Clark to open up, and it acts as a nice precursor for how manipulative and obsessive he later becomes.

One thing though. The character of Kevin is portrayed more and more as an innocent victim in all of this, yet he never repaid the money he stole from the Talon.

Comment

• An interesting concept, that builds on the fact that Chloe is now aware of Clark's powers, but not the full extent of those powers or that he's an alien. It really resulted in some interesting moments, with Clark discovering his powers and Chloe having to explain his "origin" to him.

Oddly enough, I found myself liking the Lana/Jason scene. She expresses a disinterest in their relationship, as it's no longer like it was in Paris. Of course, it isn't. In Paris, the relationship was brand-new. She was entering a romance, in what is often considered the most romantic city on Earth. It was no doubt exciting. Now they've been together for months. It's no longer new and exciting, but the same thing that she'd had for months. When it comes to romance, I think Lana wants the Hollywood-version of romance and not the real deal (which just ends up boring her after a while, causing her to look for something new). The same with her great aunt Louise (and, probably aunt Nell). They want romance, like in films and are unable to deal with the real thing.

Liked the Kevin Grady character. However, I wish they had fleshed out the death of the brother. Was it truely an accident? In the flashback, it certainly looked like the father was intentionally aiming at Kevin's brother.

Comment

Working...
              X
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎