Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

good episode

Comment

Originally posted by red-K glory
      This is probably the most boring episode of Smallville ever. It is not the worst but it is one of them. The plot and everything just completely bores the heck out of me, which is disappointing because I have never felt that way about an episode of Smallville. I mean there were episodes that I disliked but they were not really boring either, but this episode was just boring.
      Hello! Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner.

Comment

Not too bad of an episode for me - there was some nice Lois depth, some Clois banter, and friendly Clexiness. Only two points:

I liked the little juxtaposition when Lionel says Lex must either be naive or a master conman, and then we see Lana unveiling the stone for where's she's hidden it - suggesting she's the greatest con-peron of them all

Am I the only one who was expecting the Clark-Lex barn scene to go like this?

Clark: "Lex, do you ever miss having a sibling?"
        Lex: "...."
        *Hands Clark a DVD of season 2 episode Prodigal and stalks out the barn.*

Comment

Originally posted by Arbar
          Not too bad of an episode for me - there was some nice Lois depth, some Clois banter, and friendly Clexiness. Only two points:

I liked the little juxtaposition when Lionel says Lex must either be naive or a master conman, and then we see Lana unveiling the stone for where's she's hidden it - suggesting she's the greatest con-peron of them all

Am I the only one who was expecting the Clark-Lex barn scene to go like this?

Clark: "Lex, do you ever miss having a sibling?"
          Lex: "...."
          *Hands Clark a DVD of season 2 episode Prodigal and stalks out the barn.*
          LOL! Yeah, I was thinking something like that....

Another point--Lois realizes Lucy is in on the con when their "kidnapper" gives them sandwiches and points out one has no tomatoes. Lucy doesn't like tomatoes. How did she know/
          Me, I thought the kidnapper was being sarcastic. Lucy could have said that, and it would have been plausible. Not sure how Clark figured out Lucy had been conning them.

Comment

Originally posted by RightWingConspirator
            Another point--Lois realizes Lucy is in on the con when their "kidnapper" gives them sandwiches and points out one has no tomatoes. Lucy doesn't like tomatoes. How did she know
            I know what foods(or at least some of them) my brother doesn't like so it's not out of the question Lois has an idea her sister hates tomatoes.

Comment

Originally posted by RightWingConspirator
              Another point--Lois realizes Lucy is in on the con when their "kidnapper" gives them sandwiches and points out one has no tomatoes. Lucy doesn't like tomatoes. How did she know
              As Supsfan said, it's not unusual to know what people close to you don't like to eat. And even if she didn't: Why would a kidnapper be so considerate and order a burger without tomatoes for his kidnapees?

I honestly like this episode, the Clois moments (all of them) are just great. But the plot? The entire con hinged on Clark waking up in the middle of the night AND following Lucy and Clark running to Lex AND Lex actually agreeing to hand over 50 grand for the sister of an acquaintance's of Clark's. Lucy would have to have intricate knowledge of Clex's friendship to predict this chain of events.

Also: The teaser was deliberately misleading. That is ok (like the one from Spirit) but it has to make sense in restrospect, which this one didn't (Or can anyone explain why Methos and some goons were chasing Lucy when she was in league with them?).

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
                I honestly like this episode, the Clois moments (all of them) are just great. But the plot? The entire con hinged on Clark waking up in the middle of the night AND following Lucy and Clark running to Lex AND Lex actually agreeing to hand over 50 grand for the sister of an acquaintance's of Clark's. Lucy would have to have intricate knowledge of Clex's friendship to predict this chain of events.
                Maybe they didn't have this plan from the beginning. Just that they wanted to steal money from Lex somehow. Lucy developed the plan when she saw how close Clark was with Lex and Lois. I mean Lex even glanced to Clark before inviting Lucy to the mansion. As if he needed Clark's permission.

Also: The teaser was deliberately misleading. That is ok (like the one from Spirit) but it has to make sense in restrospect, which this one didn't (Or can anyone explain why Methos and some goons were chasing Lucy when she was in league with them?).
                Yeah, well, made no sense to me, either. But I also have to admit that I am really too biased about this episode to think clearly: Why couldn't they give Peter Wingfield a recurring character ???

Comment

Another question. Did Lex let Lucie go on purpose? I mean, yeah, his guards are often not at their best but to let her steal that car, with the money? As Lex told Lois he had no choice but to give Lucie to the police - but not if she escaped, right? He might not have wanted to be personally involved into General Lane's daughter's arrest. And except for Lois, Clark, and himself nobody really was in a position to officially accuse Lucie of anything. Especially, if she was not officially arrested, but just tracked by Luthorcorp. I mean, he let Bart go after Bart stole from him something much more valuable. So I think it would be in character for Lex to tell his men to let her go if she tried.

Comment

Originally posted by Freawaru
                    Another question. Did Lex let Lucie go on purpose? I mean, yeah, his guards are often not at their best but to let her steal that car, with the money? As Lex told Lois he had no choice but to give Lucie to the police - but not if she escaped, right? He might not have wanted to be personally involved into General Lane's daughter's arrest. And except for Lois, Clark, and himself nobody really was in a position to officially accuse Lucie of anything. Especially, if she was not officially arrested, but just tracked by Luthorcorp. I mean, he let Bart go after Bart stole from him something much more valuable. So I think it would be in character for Lex to tell his men to let her go if she tried.
                    Interesting - and possibly I watched Lex's expression when Lucy drove off, and he looked saddened for Lois' sake (she looked devestated) but I didn't think he regretted the loss of his car at all. So perhaps he felt he had to let Lucy go, but he was sorry that her leaving in that way caused Lois pain.

Comment

Originally posted by Arbar
                      Interesting - and possibly I watched Lex's expression when Lucy drove off, and he looked saddened for Lois' sake (she looked devestated) but I didn't think he regretted the loss of his car at all. So perhaps he felt he had to let Lucy go, but he was sorry that her leaving in that way caused Lois pain.
                      I interpreted it the same.

But I also felt sorry for Lex because yet again he was the bad guy. Because now Lois would have a bad conscience regarding the money her sister stole from him. And considering how they all (especially the Kents) treated Lex once they owned him money he already saw that that beginning friendship was doomed (from Lois' side). It seemed to me that this was why he pointed out his "selfish" interest regarding "Methos" boss. He obviously was willing to help before knowing who was involved - but his supposedly selfish interest gave them the chance to allow him to help them. Humans are really odd. It is okay when Clark uses his superpower to help them - nobody has a bad conscience and feels a need to repay him, but whenever Lex uses his superpower for the same purpose they all just get angry.

I liked this episode very much. For a change they all work together - after a fashion at least. It was so nice to see them all in the Talon.

I keep wondering how much this episode still influences the relationship between Lex and General Lane. They had a scene together in SVS11 and the general seemed to still trust Lex. Considering that he talks to Lex about his daughter's wedding (with Clark!) and implying that he knows who Superman is and how to "deal" with him. Not to mention that he does not rise to Lex's threat that he will go through with Guardian no matter what - it must have surprised Lex as he even mentions it to Ollie.

Comment

Meh, this episode was okay. I don't hate it but I don't love it either. I did enjoy seeing the Lois/Lucy interactions. I enjoyed seeing Clark save the day. Not much else to say really. Just......okay.

7 out of 10

Comment

While it's obvious from the start that Lucy has an ulterior motive for coming to Smallville, the episode does give the viewer more insight into why Lois is the way she is. Importantly, it allows us to see her more vulnerable side. She's so knocked sideways by her sister's sudden arrival that it even throws her bantering with Clark off kilter, allowing him to one-up her at every turn. She just can't muster up the comebacks like usual. Clark calls her out on her reasons for making breakfast and offering to help around the farm, he calls her out on her grumpiness, he playfully jokes about where she went wrong given Lucy's list of achievements, and he offers a sympathetic ear when Lois reveals details about her family life (or lack thereof) following her mother's death. And then there's the scene at the end where he implies that they can maintain their antagonistic facade in front of everyone else, but that they can really be good friends - he's saying "I'm here for you if you need a friendly ear". She accepts it because she hasn't got a comeback line, plus she realises that Clark is someone who tries to see the good in everybody. Good stuff.

Lex might be offering help because he has something to gain from the situation, but there's no doubt his help is genuine in terms of benefitting Lucy, Lois and Clark. He comes out of the episode with a fair amount of sympathy too.

Comment

Enter Tony Stark's step-mother.

Thought the episode had good Clois scenes, but the Lucy plot falls apart. In the opening, she's shown to be hunted by Marcus Becker (a sequence that probably took a lot of time to set up), then she flees to Smallville, where she's revealed to be owning Becker $50,000 and gets the money from Lex. In the end, she's revealed to have been in on the whole thing from the start. Okay, then why was Becker hunting her in the opening? I guess he could've confronted her and forced her to go along with a plan to get $50,000 from Lex, but Lucy never hints at that in the dialogue. The scheme also had a lot of holes in it. The whole thing depends on Clark not only waking up in the middle of the night, but following her to the Talon. Then there's the fact that they'd have to get Lex to agree to give $50,000 to help the sister of a friend's friend. What if she hadn't met Lex at the Talon? What if he had refused?

After this, we only saw Lucy once more, in S10 (five years after this episode). Looking back, I don't think we needed Lucy Lane introduced, at least not in this season. We're given a plot that doesn't add up, in the end. Nor will we see the character again for five years. I don't recall if they even reference the specific events of this episode in "Ambush".

Interesting scene between Lana and Jason. She just wants to forget about the stones and focus on their relationship. Terrific Lana, the writers make you part of a storyline, that isn't about you dating some guy, and you don't want to be a part of it. Okay, the whole business with the stones and the witch are serious stuff, so I'd understand her not wanting to be part of it. But, her reluctance doesn't come across as her fearing the dangers of being involved with the stones, but her just wanting to do nothing but making out with Jason. Ironically, this makes her reluctant to move outside of her dating boys plotlines (that really make up the majority of her time on the show) and be involved in the arc of the season.

Comment

Lucy is traditionally an unlikeable character, but at least they always cast gorgeous women for the part.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎