X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

pete annoyed me in this ep

Comment

Originally posted by vyperman7
      Parker,

I think that there are a few other people on the whole site besides me, you, and Mel (Summers) that would agree. I am glad that we are on the same page with this one though..
      I as well believe this is underrated episode. It really showed the pressure that Pete was under. Always it really enforced that Pete was "us" as that was the purpose of his character. I mean how would we react if we all had a super friend. It would affect us greatly for sure, and this episode did a good job of showing it.

Comment

What did I think of Velocity?

1) I liked this episode a lot. I really like Pete Ross (he's my second favorite male character that is Clark's best friend). This story was about Pete Ross and him racing his car against Dante (using meteor rocks to make the car go faster). In this scene is Clark, Jonathan & Martha. Clark feels really bad about his Dad's heart-condition, and blames himself for it. Jonathan tries to tell Clark it isn't his fault. Clark says to Jonathan, "The last time you were at the doctor's, they said you had a heart of a 20-year-old just before I went to Metropolis. This is all my fault." Poor Clark. Jonathan & Martha are very loving parents, and really care about Clark's feelings. I just love all the Clark, Martha & Jonathan scenes.

Clark: Dad?

Martha: Sweetheart? How are you feeling?

Jonathan: Are you two still here? I think you need to go back, back home and get some rest. Hey, Clark, don't worry about me, son. It's gonna take a whole lot more than a heart attack to keep your old man down.

Clark: I just feel like this is all my fault.

Jonathan: Hey, come here. Look, there's a lot of things that you can do, but causing cardiac arrest is not one of them.

Clark: The Last time you were at the doctor's, they said you had a heart of a 20-year-old just before I went to Metropolis.

Jonathan: If you're suggesting that your biological father has anything to do with this--

Clark: He gave you powers to bring me home that no human was meant to have, and I don't think your heart could handle it.

Martha: Clark, no. There were other factors.

Clark: If I hadn't put on that ring and abandoned you and mom when you needed me most, you wouldn't be lying here in this bed.

Jonathan: As hard as this is for you to believe, not everything that goes wrong in Smallville is Clark Kent's fault.

2) This next scene that I like is the Clark & Pete scene. Clark tries to stop his best friend from racing the car (that is using Kryptonite). Clark tells his best friend that it's too dangerous for him to race cars. Clark even super-speeded and stopped Pete's car. Pete forced his car to stop suddenly by screeching it, so he wouldn't hit his best friend, Clark Kent. This is one of my favorite Clark & Pete scenes. Especially the short speech Pete gave Clark about his super powers.

Clark: Pete, listen to me. There have been a series of fatal car accidents this year in Lowell County. They were all tricked out with the same kryptonite booster tanks.

Pete: Clark, any car can be dangerous if you don't know how to drive it. But I do.

Clark: That's not the point!

Pete: Yes, it is! For once in my life, I finally found something that I'm truly good at.

Clark: What are you talking about? You're good at a lot of things.

Pete: Like what?

Clark: Like basketball. You got a killer jump shot. You've beat me plenty of times.

Pete: Yeah, when you're not using your powers. Clark, I'm okay at hoops. I'm a decent photographer. But you saw that crowd last night. You heard them chanting my name. And for once in my life, I finally get to feel what you feel like every single day. I get to feel special.

Clark: Pete, I'm not special. I'm different.

Pete: Clark, who do you think you're kidding? You can do things that I could never even dream of. And ever since we were kids, even before I knew your secret, I've always been walking in your shadow.

Clark: Pete, that's not true.

Pete: Clark, don't get me wrong. It's not a bad place to be. But I'm growing up. I'm realizing that I got my own talents.

Clark: Pete, as your friend, I can't let you race anymore. It's too dangerous.

Pete: Clark, what are you gonna do? Physically stop me every time I go to race?

Pete opens the car door and Clark slams it shut.

Clark: If I have to!

Pete: Fine, Clark, you win. I guess I'll just keep living vicariously through you.

3) I liked this scene with Clark talking to his father about his best friend, Pete Ross. Jonathan is always filled with wisdom when talking to Clark about his feelings, problems, friends, etc., or whatever Clark chooses to talk about. Jonathan Kent is the kind of man every father wishes to be. Jonathan & Martha are the parents everyone wishes to have. It's always great to talk to your family about real issues, problems, feelings, etc. That is why I love this scene.

Jonathan: Clark, sit down. Listen, son, it doesn't take a genius to realize that something's been bothering you other than my health lately. What's up? Hmm?

Clark: While you were in the hospital, Pete got himself into a bind. I did some things I'm not too proud of.

Jonathan: Well, your mother and I trust your judgment. We did raise you to know the difference between right and wrong. Clark, one day when we're not around anymore, I'm sure that you're gonna remember it. Look, in the world, things aren't always black and white. I mean, sometimes you got to just wander out into the gray areas and do what you think is best.

Clark: What do you mean?

Jonathan: Clark, I did go talk to Jor-El, and I think maybe that is why my heart gave out. But listen, son, I went into that cave knowing full well that there were risks involved. And I'd do it again if I thought you were in trouble.

Clark: Dad, I promise I'll never put you in that position again.

Jonathan: Clark, that's not what this is about. You're different than your mother and I. Son, you're gonna have to make choices in your life, moral choices that she and I will never have to make. But we both know that when that time comes, you'll do what you think is best. What's right. That's what's important.

4) I love this last scene, especially what Pete said to Clark. This is one of Sam Jones III best moments and one of his finest acts. (I really wish they haven't let Sam Jones go. He was one of my favorite characters). This is one of my favorite Pete Ross quotes:

Pete: I know. If I had listened to you from the start, none of this would've happened. Clark, listen, you told me your secret because I'm your friend, and at times, that's not an easy thing to be. But it doesn't give me the right to do what I did. I just want to say that... Clark, I swear it will never happen again. Clark, I know I let you down. But I promise you until the day that I die, I will never disrespect your powers again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosey
          Here's an article from The Daily Oklahoman on local actor Ryan Merriman, who played Dante in this episode, and what he's up to these days.

http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/4...ticlep20bt.jpg
          Update on Ryan from today's Daily Oklahoman.

Comment

there was one thing that really threw me out of the feel of this episode...sorta like if an episode dealt with your favorite hobby...i have a heavily modified car, and i'm a bit of a car guy. if they're gonna run with the old mustang, (this episode aired in the early 2000's and the mustang was around a 94 or 95...) they could have at least found a used GT. it would have only cost them another couple dollars, and all that paint effect stuff, and they couldn't even be troubled to put a bigger exhaust tip? they could have at least tried to fool people...

okay, nitpick over...i actually liked the episode. sure pete came out of nowhere with his behavior, but sometimes high school kids under a lot of stress can get in trouble really fast...

Comment

Originally posted by mech-anic
              Not so stupid, but ironic now that he did die of a heart attack.
              Wow, that is ironic...

Comment

Not one of the best episodes of the season.Liked how clark helped out his friend.But dident like the plot and even though it was about pete still very stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by vyperman7
                  This episode is very underrated in my opinion and not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I like the fact that it examines Clark and Pete's friendship. I also really liked how it takes a look at how knowing the secret weighs on Pete. While the street racing angle was not the greatest, this episode definately had some good things in it, and I enjoy it.
                  I was reading through this thread and I have to say I totally agree. I originally dismissed this episode but upon rewatches I find I actually really enjoy the Clark/Pete scenes. It's almost like the tension between Clark and Pete in this episode is metaphorical to Pete's character up to this point in the series. He's constantly taking second place to Lana, Chloe and Lex and is usually found in the background. This was a nice episode to explore the relationship. The final scene was just kinda heartbreaking for the Clark/Pete friendship.

I guess what I really don't like in this episode is the villain Dante. Ryan Merriman was just TOO young IMO for the type of character they were going for. He just didn't really "fit" the part. For a character that lead a street racing ring and too have the influence over thugs to threaten to beat up and kill, he needed to be more "menacing". I wonder if I had liked Dante better had I would have liked the episode better.

I also kinda liked how Clark had to push the moral boundaries in this episode by stealing from Lex. Even though Lex did kinda weirdly blow off what Clark did. I liked the scene between Clark and Jonathan where Clark tells him that he did something he's not proud of. A great father/son moment.

I'll give this one an 8/10.

Comment

Oh one other thing.....how did Clark and Pete avoid the mess that was Dante's death? How did Pete get off the hook for all that he did?

Comment

A Pete-centric episode... and it really makes you appreciate that the character was dropped after this season.

Pete gets involved in street racing and whines, whenever Clark tries to talk him out of it. Pete insists that he's always been in Clark's shadow... how? How has he been in Clark's shadow? I have no idea. Pete's on the football team, Clark isn't. And Clark's powers isn't public knowledge, so him having powers can't be it. The only thing I can think off, is that people probably likes Clark more than Pete. Why? Because all Pete does is whine and blame the Luthors (and god knows who else) for all of his and his family's problems. Sure, Clark could blame himself, but that was him blaming himself. Accepting responsibility, even if what had happened was only indirectly his fault. Pete pushed off blame on others. When he returned in S7, he blamed all of his problems on Clark's secret and insisted that it was Lionel's fault that his parents got divorced (unless Lionel slept with Pete's mom, I have no idea how he was to be blamed for that). Nothing wrong in his life, was his own fault.

The episode ends with Pete coming to apologize to Clark and actually says: "I will never disrespect your powers again." Not disrespect Clark or his advice, but his powers. So, the only thing that makes Pete respect Clark, is his powers.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎