Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ep 2.11 - Visage

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewatching this episode today. One line made me laugh. "One day, she was a pioneer for women, and the next, she's a glorified seamstress." Was Chloe predicting her future on the show? Replace "seamstress" with "Watchtower."

Comment

this is one of those episodes in which almiles reminded all of us of how everyone loves lana and how perfect she is. not only do all the men in smallville fall for her but the women do too.

Comment

funniest line.`` im gonna kick your ass kent``

Comment

I liked this episode. I was pleased to see the unredeemable Tina killed off, and rather painfully, see the beginning of a short thread involving the son of the doomed officer who visited Mrs. Fordman, and actually feel bad for Whitney, who was a prick in S1's early episodes.

Did I mention how Tina died a painful death? I cheered.

Comment

I liked Tina she was always good for a laugh how into Lana she was. I wouldn't mind if she came back a few more times to be honest. I am not sure who was more obsessed when it came to feeling for Lana - Clark or Tina. lol

One thing I noticed when I recently rewatched the episode is Lana at the end made the comment

"I don't care if you keep secrets Clark"

To bad that only stuck for a few episodes. lol

Comment

Originally posted by RightWingConspirator
              I liked this episode. I was pleased to see the unredeemable Tina killed off, and rather painfully, see the beginning of a short thread involving the son of the doomed officer who visited Mrs. Fordman, and actually feel bad for Whitney, who was a prick in S1's early episodes.

Did I mention how Tina died a painful death? I cheered.
              I think she was a victim of the meteor infection. Almost all of the infected ended up as psychopaths. Even Pete changed just by chewing a gum. I can understand why Chloe was so freaked out when she learned she was infected and was ready to give up all her memories to be healed of it. Better than becoming a psycho killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Freawaru
                I think she was a victim of the meteor infection. Almost all of the infected ended up as psychopaths. Even Pete changed just by chewing a gum. I can understand why Chloe was so freaked out when she learned she was infected and was ready to give up all her memories to be healed of it. Better than becoming a psycho killer.
                Gotta disagree. Most of the meteor infected were greedy or had parental problems. Tina had a dangerous obsession with Lana. She accidentally killed her own mother, but tried to take advantage of that, no grieving at all. She could have been a Luthor! I don't buy into the 'meteor infectation made me evil' excuse. Tina got what was coming to her. I hope she gets resurrected in the comic so she can accidentally kill herself again.

Comment

Originally posted by Supsfan
                  I liked Tina she was always good for a laugh how into Lana she was. I wouldn't mind if she came back a few more times to be honest. I am not sure who was more obsessed when it came to feeling for Lana - Clark or Tina. lol

One thing I noticed when I recently rewatched the episode is Lana at the end made the comment

"I don't care if you keep secrets Clark"

To bad that only stuck for a few episodes. lo
                  l
                  so true.

Still this was a GREAT episode, minus a one tiny detail.

Tina never used the necklace against clark. At least not knowingly. Having her know was not 100% with smallville cannon.

Comment

"Visage" marked the first return appearance of a FOTW. Prior to this, FOTWs had been one-shot villains, who came in, caused some trouble and were forgotten about the next week. Granted, this was often the case, after this episode. But, you still had some episodes, where a past FOTW made a return appearance. And, even if they didn't make a return appearance, some FOTW had an impact on later episodes. Tina certainly had more of an impact than other meteor freaks like Sean Kelvin and Tyler Randall (I had to look up the name of the latter). She may have died in this episode, but the murder she committed in it, proved to have consequences in season 3, where the guy's son began killing meteor freaks.

Another thing about this episode is that it, as far as I can tell, marked the first appearance by an openly LGBT character on a superhero shows (sorry to burst your bubble, Arrowverse writers). Sadly, said character is also portrayed as a psycho killer. So, it becomes a bit of a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they were doing something innovative on a superhero show. On the other, the portrayal resembles some more disturbing film portrayals of homosexuals from the 70's and 80's. Thankfully, the show would later feature some more LGBT characters, who weren't psycho killers. What the episode needed was to dive into Tina's psychology. Let us get a closer look at her. The first time we met her, she was willing to commit armed robbery and murder, because she felt her life was bad and wanted to take over Lana's life (whom she thought had the perfect life). We don't really know why she felt that way. We don't know anything about her upbringing. And we only saw her mom for one scene. Now, we know from the episode "Hug", that Smallville (due to being small town) can be quite closed-minded. And we don't know anything about Tina's mother (or her father... wherever he is). Maybe she was a deeply homophobic person, who sent young Tina somewhere to get "fixed", when she began to realize that her daughter was a lesbian. An experience that left the young Tina deeply scarred, emotionally. And that is what sent her down this path. Living in a closed-minded community and having mother, who threated her like a freak (both for being a lesbian and for being a metahuman) and sent her to places, where she was hurt. And that is why she wanted to become Lana, in "X-Ray", because Lana didn't have to go through all that crap and had a perfect life. Sadly, the episodes doesn't go into Tina's background (except her being born with a soft-bone disease). So, all we can do is speculate.

Really disliked the ending scene with Lana and Clark. Whitey's dead. His mother has lost both husband and son in less than a year. And Lana makes the whole thing about her. She talks about how everyone she's ever gotten close to leaves: her parents, Nell and now Whitney. The problem is, Nell isn't dead. Nor did she leave Lana. Nell was moving to Metropolis, while Lana didn't want to leave Smallville, which resulted in her moving in with Chloe and her dad. She could still be living with her aunt, if she wasn't so darn stubborn about not leaving Smallville. This was also the time, that Henry Small (her biological father) had come into her life. So, she had an aunt and a father (and, through him, a stepmother and half-siblings).

No idea why they had Whitney fight in Indonesia (which is nowhere near the middle east), instead of Afghanistan. Perhaps they wanted to avoid politicizing the episode, by having the character discuss a real war.

Thought it was funny to hear Chloe call Tina "the Mighty-Morphing Power Girl". A phrase that references both the Power Rangers and DC character Power Girl, whom Allison Mack would later voice.

Comment

Rewatched this recently and realized that there is a possibility that Tina's still alive.

We're told that Tina is alleged to have burned herself to death in a mental hospital. Clark asks if the hospital checked dental records, but it's never confirmed if they did. Did she kill someone else or did she attempt to kill herself and healed? The writers keep it vague. Possibly this was done as a get out of jail freecard, if they ever wanted to use her again. Just explain that it was herself, that she set on fire at the hospital. Which, in turn, would mean that she would likely have healed from being pierced by that piece of wood in this episode (i.e. after being taken to the morgue and they remove the wood, her body begins to heal and she gets up and leaves).

This idea isn't without support from later episodes. In both "Extinction" and "Fade", Tina's name is included on an index of otherwise living people. Sure, her corpse is featured in a Smallville comic, but that's tie-in material. A lot of tie-in material to shows and movies contradict things established onscreen, if even regarded as canon by the writers and producers (of course, they're never going to call it that, as then fans won't buy the stuff).

So, if the comic is non-canon and we take the mentions in "Extinction" and "Fade" as hints, then it is very possible that Tina is still alive and simply reformed (like Greg Arkin. Another person, who seemingly died).

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎