Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ep 2.08 - Ryan

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just watched this one again as I do a marathon rewatch... Great episode for sure.

Ryan was a great character and I was glad to see the show embracing some continuity and bringing him back. The relationship between Clark and him was really well done, and its a shame that we couldn't see more of that.

Lex vs Mayor Tate was awesome.

As was the introduction of the Warrior Angel comic books into the SV mythos.

Definitely tugs at the heartstrings at the end, no doubt.

One of the most touching episodes of SV there is, imo.

Comment

I like this episode. It was heartbreaking to see this character dying. I would have loved to see Ryan together with Clark and being a part of his life and being sort of like a little brother that he never would have.

Comment

The one thing this episode has in spades is heart. Ryan was one of the most likeable characters and the actor playing him does superbly well with the more emotional scenes in particular, making Ryan's demise one of the show's most heartbreaking moments. The character was obviously created to be a conduit that enables the show's key characters to pause for a bit of self-reflection, and he brings out the brotherly instincts in both Clark and Lex.

Comment

I also liked Lex's piece of advice to Clark about not spending so much time trying to find a treatment or cure for a loved one that you forget to spend enough time with the loved one themselves. It rings true to life and not just a story.

Comment

Ryan's back for his second and final appearance. I looked at the credits for both this episode and "Stray" and they were both written by Philip Levens. It's nice that all of a recurring characters episodes are written by the same writer. It creates a feeling of consistency.

The episode also introduces Dr. Lawrence Garner, who became a recurring baddie, during season 3.

Thought the Ryan story was a good emotional one. Not loving the Lana plotline. This episode is, of course, where Nell announces that she'll be moving to Metropolis (giving us our first organic Lana departure opportunity) and Lana decides that she doesn't wanna go. Very disinterested in her plight. In the first season, I think she even openly expressed that she can't wait to get out of Smallville. Here's her chance, but she doesn't take it. In "Visage", she even cries and insists that Nell left her, when it was actually herself who chose to remain in this town.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎