Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ep 1.9 - Rogue

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw it this afternoon. I really wish Phelan could have been in more than a couple of episodes. He was a good early adversary.

Comment

I couldn't agree more. I loved Rogue. One of the best in season 1. He was such a good villain, and he wasn't even a FotW Who would have guessed . And this was a great episode for Clark and the influence his parents had on him. You could see his developement and why growing up with those parents would one day lead to him becoming Superman.

Comment

Rogue was definitely my fave epi up to this point, and one of, if not the, best episode of season 1!

I loved the lack of a FoTW, it was a nice break from the first episodes of S1. Plus it showed a ton of uses of Clark's abilities (loved the safe toss out the window!), and showed that the worst threats aren't random freaks but those who could harm Clark and his family using knowledge of his secret.

A great episode and its too bad Phelan died at the end, would have loved to see him be a recurring antagonist... though Roger Nixon kind of filled that role, I suppose.

9/10!
        Last edited by The Krypton Knight; 07-26-2014, 03:21 PM.

Comment

With this episode, the show broke from its episode formula. Instead of running into a meteor freak, Clark finds himself blackmailed by a crooked cop. Resulting in an interesting plotline, where Clark and his parents have to deal with it. I like that they included a scene, where Clark considers not using his powers to save people and the Kents correct him. Especially today, after we've seen the infamous "maybe" line in Man of Steel, it's a welcomed moment. They don't tell Clark that he should let people die, just that he should be careful in the future (so, no one sees him).

I also liked that principal Kwan set his foot down, when it comes to what stories Chloe prints in the Torch. The Torch is supposed to be a school newspaper and here Chloe uses it to print stories, that have absolutely nothing to do with school. So, she's removed as editor. My only problem with this plot, is that Chloe gets her position back, before the episode's over and she continued to write these kinds of stories in the school newspaper, for the next four years. It becomes a bit unrealistic that she would be allowed to continue. I also think that they missed an opportinuity with this. In the episode, they have Clark visit the Daily Planet website. This was 2001, they could've had Chloe start up her own online newspaper, where she'd get to print the type of stories, that she wants. Which would give her a storyline, for part of the season, of trying to get said newspaper and website up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by jon-el87
            I like that they included a scene, where Clark considers not using his powers to save people and the Kents correct him.
            Well, actually... even Smallville's Jonathan Kent was not too keen on Clark actually using his powers in these first episodes. Both in Hothead (when Clark saved Kwan) as well as in this episode, Jonathan's first concern was if anyone had seen Clark do it. It took a look from Martha to Jonathan here for the latter one actually praising Clark for what he did.

Comment

Working...
            X
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎