No announcement yet.

Ep 1.7 - Craving

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VilleFan
    This is my favorite bad Smallville episode. Although the story of the fat-sucking meteor freak was a bit out there, I attribute my liking for this episode to AMY ADAMS!

I adore Amy Adams. I loved her in this episode, in Enchanted, Doubt, The Fighter, Julie & Julia, Night at the Museum 2, and EVERYTHING ELSE!

As for this episode, I liked the other plotline about Lana's party. The ending with the movie projector is one of my favorite Smallville episode endings.

But rewatching past seasons makes me miss Lois and especially TESS!
    OMG!! That was Amy Adams? I hardly watch that episode, it's so bad I can't stand it but now that you've pointed out that that girl is Amy, well, I might give it a try. Still, I'll have to fast forward the "deer-eating-scene" it's too sick!

Comment

Originally posted by kal-el_Girl
      OMG!! That was Amy Adams? I hardly watch that episode, it's so bad I can't stand it but now that you've pointed out that that girl is Amy, well, I might give it a try. Still, I'll have to fast forward the "deer-eating-scene" it's too sick!
      I know! She looked really different than she does now (although the fat suit probably contributed to that )

But yeah, fast-forwarding thru the deer-eating, Amy Adams definitely makes the episode worthwhile!

Comment

With all the news of Amy Adams as Lois Lane in the Zack Snyder Superman movie...I saw that this was voted worst ep of S1...granted it was gross at times...but not the worst. I gave it an 8.

Amy Adams was great as Jodi.

[edit] Yeah I close my eyes during deer eating scene.
        Last edited by Caught_In_The_Sun; 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM.

Comment

they should really show this episode for this weeks repeat and promote it as having Amy Adams and lets see how high the ratings go.

Comment

I just watched this episode a couple of days ago. The Freak power may have been a bit stupid and out there, but the overall story wasnt so bad.

Hard to hate something Amy Adams is in

Comment

Originally posted by superhippie2000
              they should really show this episode for this weeks repeat and promote it as having Amy Adams and lets see how high the ratings go.
              Yeah that would be interesting haha.

I decided to rewatch "Craving" again today. And I still feel the same way I did the last time I saw it (a couple of years ago) and all the previous times. It's still in one of my least favorite Smallville episodes of all time, and quite possibly the worst (in my opinion) episode of Season 1.

I always get a kick out of seeing Amy in things now that I saw her first in Smallville and she has done quite well for herself, but for me this episode overall is still weak despite that. I think both Amy and the principal cast are still finding the feet acting-wise or with their characters--just as Smallville and the writing team are still trying to find their stride at this point so early in the series.

There was some interesting back story elements brought in terms of Lex and Lana, etc, but other than that the episode didn't do much for me. The subject matter doesn't help either--they did a fat sucking person on The X-Files a few years or so before this, and I didn't like the idea then either.

I respect that everyone will see things differently, it just didn't do much for me personally.

Comment

Haha, I watched this episode the other day with my brother and told him, "Oh, that's the woman that's going to play Lois Lane in the new Superman movie." He was like, "Really?! Princess Giselle?"
                And he was quite surprised when I told him she's an Oscar nominated actress. He really needs to get with the times.

Anyway, back to the episode, not a fan. I had to look away when she started eating the deer. Definitely one of the worst episodes, if not the worst episode of the season.

Comment

This episode was my least favorite season 1 episode and now that im watching it again its still my least favorite out of the first 7. I like how Clark and Lanas relationship in in episode went up as it shows that they will be there for each other always. Lex finding out that he has powers (well kinda) and that he starts getting in the meteor rocks shows the start of his obession of the things surrounding him. Pete finally got a plot in this episode although its a crappy episode. The Jodie plot was just terrible. It was not interesting at all and it was very disgusting-It was like the Sean plot from Cool except that was at least decent.

So ill give this episode a: 6/10

Comment

Is it weird that this episode makes me hungry?

I really like this one, and it's great seeing Amy Adams in another guest-starring role, she was also in Buffy around the same time.

Comment

One the one hand I like how decent Pete treats Jody even before she's thin. It shows that Clark chooeses his friends well. But on the other hand both Chloe and Pete try to bribe her by "buying her lunch" as if that's the ideal way to get a fat person to do something for you...

Comment

I bribe people with food everyday. =P My number one way to get favors is to take them out for coffee or treat them to lunch, so I don't think Chloe and Clark meant anything by it. I like how folks reacted to Jodi's weight-loss problems in this episode. Pete was sweet (which is very unusual for him)!

Comment

Here was my review of the episode from another site:
                          I have to say, this is one of the Smallville episodes that really disappoint me, because this episode could had been so much better!

I mean, face it... this episode was clearly meant to be some kind of social commentary on eating disorders and how people who have it need help. But the message just got lost along the way.

It doesn't really help when you have the person with an eating disorder turn into a villain in the middle of the episode. I mean, Jodi stopped being a sympathetic person that just needed help, when she decided to start attacking humans in order suck fat out of them.

But that's the downside of having writers follow an formula when it comes to dealing with meteor mutants. According to the producers behind Smallville, all meteor-mutated humans must be:
                          1. Crazy and out of control.
                          2. extremely dangerous to the people around them.
                          3. They all must die or be deported to a mental hospital to never be seen again unless the plot demands it.

The writers very rarely break away from that formula, and seem to have a highly prejudiced viewpoint towards mutated humans to the point where they seem like they'd be right at home writing anti-mutant propaganda in the X-men universe.

So even though they may not mean to, they were basically excusing the jocks' fat-shaming treatment of Jodi earlier in the episode. Because, hey look at how Jodi turned out... she might be thin and pretty now after her diet... but she turned into a crazy b**h! That person totally needed to be taken down a peg... *rolls eyes*

And this is just so sad when you consider that they're being highly hypocritical. Clark Kent is the hero of the series, but isn't even human... hes' an alien from outer space who got adopted by a human family. He's basically even more freakish than any of those mutated humans!
                          Yet, Clark can do no wrong at all in the writers' eyes. He's a perfect, angelic hero..even when he was being creepy as hell by spying on Lana though his telescope this episode... AGAIN!! He'd be arrested for that kind of behavior in real life and you know it. Yet, nobody really calls him out on it.

Again, When Clark does things like that It's hard for me to think of him as the future superman... because in my world, Superman would had been far too decent to have ever done anything like that... not even when he was a horny teenage boy. At this point I just side-eye the hell out of the writers for this episode.

I wish that they'd show more mutants that were actually just harmless people dealing with everyday issues in a weird way. Jodi would had been perfect for that, had she not started attacking humans. I don't see why she couldn't have continued to attack animals instead of humans. Or even just keep on losing weight to the point where even Pete Ross realizes that she needs help... and have him drive her to the hospital.

Instead of addressing the fact that there are people with eating disorders out there who do need help... the writers associated eating disorders with being out of control and being a danger to people around them. Ugh. They definitely could had done better with this episode, because this just fell flat.

This is one of those moments where people turn to fan-fiction to fix this because the canonical writing of a TV episode failed big time.
                          Last edited by Aurora Moon; 11-04-2014, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora Moon
                            Here was my review of the episode from another site:
                            I think that person's not thinking the episode through really.

God bless you both! God bless everyone in your lives!

Comment

I know this is a little geeky and maybe not that interesting, but does anybody know where that Nursery and Dr Hamiltons barn is located in real life? Ive been searching for those places in google maps for a while now. I'm also still searching for Lanas home, that blue pretty house. Its really hard to find. Been searching all around the US/Canadian border and Vancouver.

Comment

This episode is probably most remembered for being Amy Adams' first involvement in a Superman adaptation. She plays Jodi Melville, which is likely a reference to John Melville, the author of Moby Dick. On a superficial level, one could consider the reference as having to do with Jodi being overweight. However, I'd like to argue that the reference is deeper than that. What is Moby Dick about? It's about Captain Ahab's obsession, to get revenge on the titular whale. An obsession that results in his doom. Like Ahab, Jodi has an obsession. She is obsessed with loosing weight (something that she feel she has to do, before Lana's birthday party) and this obsession leads to her doom.

I thought Adams gave a good performance. Jodi became a sympathetic character, rather than just some random psycho meteor freak. She doesn't wanna hurt anyone. Digesting Kryptonite-affected vegetables, caused her metabolism to go into overdrive. Unfortunately, there is no off switch. So, she constantly has to replace the fat, that her body has burned, to stay alive. And that forces her to attack people.

While this is going on, Lex become aware of the alleged effect that meteor rocks have on people, which leads to him developing his own obsession for much of the series.

If you've seen a lot of Pete scenes, you might've noticed two recurring topics: the Luthors and girls. Interestingly enough, this episode was like the only that he went out with a girl (or, at least, tried).

Thought some of the Chloe and Lana stuff really highlighted the difference, between the two characters. Chloe takes Clark with her, to look at the dead deer (thus involving him in the FOTW/main plot). When she discovers who the fat-sucking vampire is, she informs Clark, allowing him to stop her from draining Pete. Chloe's investigations help to drive the story forward. Meanwhile, Lana is completely uninvolved in the main plot. This week, she isn't serving as the damsel in distress (like she often had a tendency to become). She doesn't drive the plot forward. She's just sitting around, while others are planing her birthday party, something she herself admits to not being very interested in, so she isn't even interested in her own plot (nor in charge of it). The only impact that Lana's party has on the main plot, is giving Jodi a (unrealistic) deadline for weightloss and where she and Pete were going. You could've easily changed it, into something else.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎