No announcement yet.

Ep 1.4 - X-Ray

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Krypton Knight
    True enough, and good catch. I had kind of forgotten about that... Maybe it was just a glitch while the power was developing? lol, I don't know...

I just like the way they played that scene, the music and the look on CK's face... lol.
    No the producers actually stated that they liked the idea of "x-ray vision" meaning "exactly what it says on the tin".

I think the last time they used it as see-through was in season 1's Jitters (where Clark found the elevator to level 3) and they implied it when he saw Chloe's birthmark on her "other cheek" in season 2's Red.

After that it was always just x-ray.

On the other hand, Clark never seemed to have clarified that with Chloe for example, because in season 6's Freak when she asks him to x-ray her he a) looked shocked as if that was some offensive thing to do (he x-rayed her before in season 4's Jinx) and b) Chloe said "they were both adults", implying he would get to see more than just her bones.
    Last edited by DJ Doena; 07-25-2014, 10:33 AM.

Comment

PS: Other shows do that as well.

For example on Stargate SG-1 the Zat'nik'tel had three shots: stun, kill, evaporate.

The producers quietly "forgot" the last feature because it would make some plots too easily resolvable.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Doena
        No the producers actually stated that they liked the idea of "x-ray vision" meaning "exactly what it says on the tin".

I think the last time they used it as see-through was in season 1's Jitters (where Clark found the elevator to level 3) and they implied it when he saw her birthmark on her "other cheeck" in season 2's Red.

After that it was always just x-ray.

On the other hand, Clark never seemed to have clarified that with Chloe for example, because in season 6's Freak when she asks him to x-ray her he a) locked shocked as if that was some offensive thing to do (he x-rayed her before in season 4's Jinx) and b) Chloe said "they were both adults", implying he would get to see more than just her bones.
        Great post, you really know your stuff! They certainly weren't very consistent with their explanation of how it works... which is kinda par for the course when it comes to SV, lol.

I do like the stated intent, I like X-Ray vision to indeed be X-Ray Vision (despite my fondness for the gym scene).

Comment

Originally posted by The Krypton Knight
          They certainly weren't very consistent with their explanation of how it works... which is kinda par for the course when it comes to SV, lol.
          No they weren't. With his other powers as well.

Take heat vision: He used it in front of Alicia (Obsession) and Lois (Devoted) and neither one could see it, implying that it's de facto invisible. It had to be since he accidently used it publicly when he actually got it (Heat).

And yet Lana and that burnt cop could see it when the Kryptonians used it to kill all the cops in Arrival.

Same with superspeed, both visual (do you see a blur or not?) and acoustical (do you hear the 'whoosh' or not?) Both have been shown to work one way or the other, as the plot demanded.

Comment

Originally posted by Cellist
            This episode was brilliant. I especially loved the scene where he looks into the girls' locker room. I was laughing hysterically. Great episode.
            I actually hated that!! To me that was super-creepy behavior from Clark... I don't think somebody who's going to be the future superman should act like such a creepy pervert.

I mean, think about how it feels to be Lana-- She's always perved on, stalked, and at one point almost got sexually assulted. She gets enough of this **** from the bad guys.... she doesn't need the "hero" of the show to be doing the same exact things that the bad guys are doing!

Think about it... how would YOU feel if you had some creep spying on you in the locker room while you were changing? and espeically if that same creep was also spying on you at home though an telescope??

I hated the way Clark just kept on looking with that goofy smile on his face, acting like what he was doing wasn't wrong at all. Granted, he's basically a horny teenage boy. But still, that scene could had been made better if he actually blushed, and looked away.... or covered his face to prevent himself from seeing any more. This way people could had gotten the "fanservice", and Clark would had a funny moment where he felt totally embarrassed for a wide variety of reasons. you would have a scene where clark was spazzing out like he just walked in on somebody changing by accident, and the people around him would be wondering what the hell were up with him.

I think that would be way better than Clark acting like a total creeper!

Comment

First appearance of Tina Greer and Clark develops x-ray vision.

Tina wants to take over Lana's life, because she thinks Lana's life is perfect. Meanwhile, Lana herself discovers that the image Aunt Nell have given her of her mother (as a perfect woman) was a lie. So, you have Tina trying to live up to the ideal of Lana, who was trying to live up to a false image of her mother.

Tina begins the episode by robbing the local bank for $100,000. Don't think I've ever noticed it before, but when Tina-as-Lex starts yelling at the bank manager, you can hear both Michael Rosenbaum's voice and Tina's. Thought it was a nice little detail. She needs to focus to keep up the appearance of Lex, so when she gets angry she looses a little of her concentration and her voice changes a little. I do think they should've done more with her getting her hands on $100,000. Sure, her robbing the bank leads to her mother's accidental death. And the bank robbery leads to Lex having to deal with Roger Nixon. However, Tina herself never does anything with the money. She's a 14-15 year old, with access to $100,000. No way, that she'd be able to resist using some of it.

I also wish we had seen a bit more of Clark, before Tina-as-Lex throws him through the window and his x-ray vision kicks in. In the first shot of him, Welling appears to imply that something is going on with his eyes. However, I wish they had established that his eyes had been feeling weird all day. And his x-ray vision doesn't just come out of nowhere, just when he happens to look at a person with a green glowing skeleton.

Comment

This episode also starts the trend that the discovered superpower of the year has to save the day in that very episode which in my opinion worked rather badly in Heat in season 2.

They also realized too late that they wanted it to be "exactly what it says on the tin" as to how the power works. Here we get the idea that Clark actually goes through from look-through to x-ray which is why he saw Pete's muscles and Lana in the shower, which they confirm when Pete finds out about his powers in season 2's Duplicity. It is also implied to work this way in season 6's Freak when Clark freaks out when Chloe wants him to x-ray her and says "we're both adults", implying that he would see her in the nude before actually finding the tracker on the x-ray level.

They also re-affirm that he can use it as a see-through in season 1's Jitters when Clark finds the hidden elevator, even though a pure x-ray would have worked just as fine here.

But then again, Clark would have seen Chloe (and Lana, and Lois) multiple times naked, for example in season 1's Obscura where he first found Chloe in the coffin and then Lana getting shot at by Deputy Watts.

It is also shown not to work this way because shortly after he discovered this power he uses it for a magic trick in season 1's Cool where he x-rays the poker card which Lana is holding right to her chest (Clark would have invaded her privacy like that on purpose for a cheap trick) and again in season 4's Recruit where Clark x-rays the dorm closet and finds a person but does not identify her as Lois until he actually opens the door.
                Last edited by DJ Doena; 04-10-2017, 04:08 AM.

Comment

You know how they make several mentions of Saturday Night Fever in this episode? In the film, Tony's got a poster of Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman in his room.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎