Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally! We are getting to the REAL Lois Lane!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Let me see, my brother never went to college and now he is running a very sucessful company started from his own work. That makes him imcompete? "

Lois failed one way or another at graduating from high school and successfully completeing one semester at college. She is now 19 or 20 years old and fresh from filling coffee mugs and selling muffins, yet she is the fully competent campaign manager with all the accrued acumen to handle a senatorial campaign? Again, that could only be the case in fantasy land. She would be incompetent for this job but competent to work at the Talon. Whatever her intrinsic IQ might be, she hasn't developed either it or have the knowledge for this job. It is the 'stuff' of kiddie-thinking.

Comment

I agree that Lois' character is really moving forward. They are helping to bring out those natural traits her character has always had.

The young Lois Lane may be messy and disorganized and untrained, but if she knows what she wants and she's passionate about it, nothing can stop her until she gets it.

She's driven, and that is what will make her a great journalist in the future, and I'm happy to see them bringing out those characteristics in her with this campaign.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveS
        Lois failed one way or another at graduating from high school and successfully completeing one semester at college.
        Did she failed for lack of knowledge or lack of good grades? We saw otherwise. Is that a proof of imcompentence? We never had nothing to proof it is. So, everything else is just assumption.

Comment

Originally posted by ~*Lois & Clark Fan*~
          Well said

I remember one version of Lois in the comics didnt go to college, she took night classes while working at the DP. You don't have to go to college to be successful most of the time.
          Steve Jobs from Apple is a college drop out. His family worked hard for him to go to College, and he left it before finishing his first year. That didn't stop him from being one of the greats minds of our time. If I'm not mistaken, Bill Gates didn't finish College either, but I'm not completely sure about him. Steve Jobs I know, because he said so last year, on a College graduation speech. He spoke about the irony of doing this speech, when he never finished College himself.

Originally posted by Timester
          Did she failed for lack of knowledge or lack of good grades? We saw otherwise. Is that a proof of imcompentence? We never had nothing to proof it is. So, everything else is just assumption.
          As far as I know, in Facade she said she failed because she missed a few classes, so, it wasn't because of grades. She was admitted in Met-U (that in this universe is a fine school), so she had to have good grades and a good SAT score, or she wouldn't have been admitted in the first place.
          Last edited by liana; 01-20-2006, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by liana
            Steve Jobs from Apple is a college drop out. His family worked hard for him to go to College, and he left it before completing his first year. That didn't stop him from being one of the greats minds of our time. If I'm not mistaken, Bill Gates didn't finish College either, but I'm not complete sure about him. Steve Jobs I know, because he said so last year, on a College graduation speech. He spoke about the irony of doing this speech, when he never finished College himself.
            There are thousands of examples like him. In my country, we have hundred of businessmen that didn't even finished the 4th grade (yes, that's right) and they are very sucessful.

Comment

Lois failed one way or another at graduating from high school and successfully completeing one semester at college. She is now 19 or 20 years old and fresh from filling coffee mugs and selling muffins, yet she is the fully competent campaign manager with all the accrued acumen to handle a senatorial campaign? Again, that could only be the case in fantasy land. She would be incompetent for this job but competent to work at the Talon. Whatever her intrinsic IQ might be, she hasn't developed either it or have the knowledge for this job. It is the 'stuff' of kiddie-thinking.
              How is this any more unrealistic than Chloe being able to hack into any computer anywhere since she was 14/15 and get any piece of information that is needed to advance the plot? Or Lana starting and successfully running a coffee house at 15? Neither of those things are plausible or realistic but it helped develop Chloe and Lana into the characters that we know today. Just as being campaign manager is shaping Lois into her iconic character.

In Fanatic and Lockdown, we see Lois displaying characteristics of the iconic Lois Lane. She shows drive, passion, determination, committment and loyalty to the Kents and the cause of Jonathan's campaign.

I think she has always shown that she is the "real" Lois Lane, but I think this season especially, she is shaping up into the Lois Lane that people identify as the future love of Clark Kent's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Timester
                There are thousands of examples like him. In my country, we have hundred of businessmen that didn't even finished the 4th grade (yes, that's right) and they are very sucessful.
                I agree. I especifically talked about him, because not only he is a good businessman, but because he is a pioneer in the computer industry. He was the responsible for the first Apple and the Mac-OS and the list goes on. If you ask anyone in the computer business about Steve Jobs, you will see that he is a genius and a brilliant mind. If we are today, able to use a mouse and have this whole graphic technology used in Windows and Mac-Os, it's because of him and others, just like him. To say that someone who dropped College is a failure per se, goes against what we have seen more than once in real life. History more than once proved that great minds are not necessarily forged in Universities. They can be, they most probably will be, but then again, they may be not.
                Last edited by liana; 01-20-2006, 11:32 AM.

Comment

It doesn't take a college degree or a lot of specialized training to run a state senate campaign, or to be a reporter for that matter. Lois could do either job if she had any motivation. Anyway, Lois is hot.

Comment

I've been liking Lois alot this season. They have been giving her storylines that dont involve Chloe or Clark which is something new for her character. She's really evolving as a person imo.

Comment

Did she failed for lack of knowledge or lack of good grades? We saw otherwise. Is that a proof of imcompentence? We never had nothing to proof it is. So, everything else is just assumption."

Anyone, and most especially a 19 or 20 year college expel-ee, one who has spent her time playing video games or selling muffins, without substantial experience in politics far beyond student council elections, would be ignorant of campaign laws for a senatorial election,nor would she have political connections or savvy developed or years to handle people,money, and planning. Lois has shown several indications of poor planning and organization, from her failure to graduate from high school, from her professed focus partying (was it bar guides?) to her self-professed messiness. She would be incompetent to handle a serious campaign, other than in a comic book.

liana, Lois was admitted to Metropolis U. through Lex's ingress (try bribery/influence) not through her SAT scores or abilities. Her expulsion she earned herself.

Lana made a business plan and presented it to Lex for backing. Unrealistic though it was, there was a modicrum of explanation for the creating of the Talon, plus Lana was an honor student who attended class and successfully graduated on time. Independence due to her being an orphan?

Chloe has been on a computer in dozens of Smallville episodes with very little shown of her outside life. She too is an honor student. Hmmm, sounds plausible to me that she can be a computer expert.

Success has come to many non-college gradutes, but you will be hard pressed to find any realistic examples of ne'er do wells taking over as a campaign manager at 19 or 20 and leading a successful senatorial campaign...all without any experience or previously indicated expertise in that area.

Really, it is silly stuff like this that makes Smallville seem stupid, not a smart program.

Comment

Originally posted by pixiedust
                        How is this any more unrealistic than Chloe being able to hack into any computer anywhere since she was 14/15 and get any piece of information that is needed to advance the plot? Or Lana starting and successfully running a coffee house at 15? Neither of those things are plausible or realistic but it helped develop Chloe and Lana into the characters that we know today. Just as being campaign manager is shaping Lois into her iconic character.

In Fanatic and Lockdown, we see Lois displaying characteristics of the iconic Lois Lane. She shows drive, passion, determination, committment and loyalty to the Kents and the cause of Jonathan's campaign.

I think she has always shown that she is the "real" Lois Lane, but I think this season especially, she is shaping up into the Lois Lane that people identify as the future love of Clark Kent's life.
                        Well said

I'm gonna post what zoomway said in one of her essays:

At this point, in my opinion, there has been no logical motive for Lois to gravitate towards journalism. She worked at the Torch because of Chloe and presumably to get extra credits. Lois currently works at the Talon out of gratitude to Martha and to have money to live on, but she doesn't view either job as a possible career.

In one of my favorite X-Files episodes, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, the title character wondered why people make the choices they make. "Why does anyone do anything in their life? Why did this lady collect dolls? Did she just wake up one morning and say, 'I know. Dolls!'?"

In the same vein, I don't think Lois Lane just woke up one morning and said, "I know. Journalism!" Perhaps, as was hinted at in Solitude, Lois will want to take down Lex Luthor and journalism might be the most expedient means to that end, but if people are out there looking for an absolute canon motive for Lois becoming a journalist, they'll be very disappointed. There isn't one.

Comment

Originally posted by margroks
                          She's still the lazy muffin peddler, just lightswitched into being suddenly competant. It's still crap and in no way an organic growth for her character. To be organic, it should have started from the beginning. In fact, she should have been halfway to being a great reporter, as Chloe is, if she were to be believable. This is just lightswitching because the writers and producers couldn't make it believable.
                          I agree with margrok is is to old to out of no where get inspired and become the worlds greatest reporter over night. She's not really an over achiever and she's not really showing any journalistic tendencies.
                          Plus why do they still have LCark looking like a bumbleing idiot. If he is gonna be one of the worlds greatest reporters, Why can't he use the Internet? Why is Chloe still doing web seaches for this guy? why can't he investigate things on his own? It takes to much time to run all the way up to Metropolis so that Chloe can do w web search when he could just find a computer of his own and do it himself.

Comment

Originally posted by son2380
                            I agree with margrok is is to old to out of no where get inspired and become the worlds greatest reporter over night. She's not really an over achiever and she's not really showing any journalistic tendencies.
                            Plus why do they still have LCark looking like a bumbleing idiot. If he is gonna be one of the worlds greatest reporters, Why can't he use the Internet? Why is Chloe still doing web seaches for this guy? why can't he investigate things on his own? It takes to much time to run all the way up to Metropolis so that Chloe can do w web search when he could just find a computer of his own and do it himself.
                            Read my above post For her to want to be into journalism is lightswitching. They're getting her into it slowly, but yet it's still lightswitching.

Comment

How slow are they gonna go? she not getting any younger. She needs to be where Chloe is right now. If Lois is 20 it will probably take her 4 or 6 years to get a degree in Jounalism. Not to mention how long it would take for her to move up in the ranks at the Daily planet or any news paper buisness. Lets say it takes her 4 year to become the top reporter at DP. She would be like 30 years old when she becomes the #1 reporter. Superman would have shown up and saved the world 1000 time by the time lois becomes the number 1 reporter.

to me its not about if she can just switch in on at the last minute its about the time line and how much she has left. Im pretty sure a big buisness like the DP would not just hire someone off the street to be a reporter without some college credential or any kind of experience. Example Chloe had to prover herself before she became and intern.

Not to mention the time line for Clark he has to stop being a country bumkin. learn how to investigate on his own graduate at the top of his class in investigative reporting. Get a job and a news paper in Smalleville, build a bigger rep for himself in smalleville as a great reporter then move to metropolis with enough credentials to impress Pery white to give him a job beside Lois Lane the number 1 reporter.

With the time line they have now i don't see all of this happening right now.

Comment

Lana made a business plan and presented it to Lex for backing. Unrealistic though it was, there was a modicrum of explanation for the creating of the Talon, plus Lana was an honor student who attended class and successfully graduated on time. Independence due to her being an orphan?

Chloe has been on a computer in dozens of Smallville episodes with very little shown of her outside life. She too is an honor student. Hmmm, sounds plausible to me that she can be a computer expert.
                                They may have given Lana a motivation for it, but it still doesn't make it plausible for a 15 yr old girl to even begin to know how to make up that kind of business presentation to convince Lex Luthor (unless he loved her even then).

As for Chloe, we are not talking about her being a "computer expert" as in knowing how to google a search and find information. Sure, most teenagers can do that with one hand behind their back.

Most of the information that she obtains with her trusty computer cannot be found through a search engine. It has to be obtained by hacking into a protected website or data base (which happens to be illegal by the way in case you didn't know). That isn't something a normal teenager would know how to do and realistically with as many sites as Chloe had hacked into, she would have been hauled off to jail a long time before now if we were dealing with what was realistic.

But yet, Chloe's "skills" on the computer are one of the things that make her such a great, intelligent character to most of her supporters and in actuality, it is a skill that is illegal to possess.
                                Last edited by pixiedust; 01-20-2006, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎