Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by julian16
    I know this one is going to be tough, but my question comes from the Recent IC #6. How in the world could Alenander L from Earth 3 temp bring back people from Alt Earths? I was under the notion that he was only bringing back the earths and not the people, case in point earth #2. We saw Lex Luthor from Earth 3 and a bunch on other random people from Alt Earths.
    That was something that bothered me as well, and I don't know the definitive answer for this one. I made a guess that he was pulling people from Earth-1 to populate these Earths in order to see if they fit what he wanted the Earth to be before he made it the only Earth. Or, these Earths had no one on them until they went into his "petri dish", the rift at the center of the universe. But like I said, this is one I just don't know.

Comment

I was wondering about something. Is Earth 2 Superman more or less written as Superman from the Golden Age? That's the impression I get reading thing about him. I know he's suposed to be older than Earth 1 Superman.

Comment

Originally posted by Antithesis
        I was wondering about something. Is Earth 2 Superman more or less written as Superman from the Golden Age? That's the impression I get reading thing about him. I know he's suposed to be older than Earth 1 Superman.
        Superman from Earth-2 is sort of the Golden Age Superman as he was re-introduced once the Multiverse came into effect in the 60's. He is the Superman who debuted in Action Comics #1, but slightly different, essentially taking into account all the changes that were made before the Silver Age was introduced with the Flash. As the Multiverse concept was used more and more, it was decided to let the Earth-2 Superman be the version for which time passed and things changed. He married his Lois Lane, grew older, and eventually became the Editor in Chief of the Daily Star (the Earth-2 Daily Planet).

There were differences and continuity problems with this, though. Superman was never cancelled between the Golden Age and the Silver Age; therefore, his books were published continuously. Making the Silver Age version and Golden Age version different meant that all the in-continuity stories prior to 1959 about Superman were no longer in-continuity for the Earth-1 Superman. But there were a lot of discrepancies. Continuity back then was much less of an issue than it is these days, though.

So, technically, no. The Golden Age Superman is NOT the Earth-2 Superman. However, many of the Golden Age stories are considered in-continuity for the Earth-2 Superman, and many NEW stories set during the Golden Age (essentially the 1940's and early 1950's) were written long after the fact, and considered in-continuity for Earth-2.

It's all very complicated.

Comment

I'm not sure it's as complicated as that. I think, if you're reading, say, the Superman debut story from ACTION #1, you can consider the story you're reading to be an adventure of Earth-Two's Superman. Likewise all the stuff in 2005's "Superman in the Forties." But when you run into the inevitable discrepancies, like when the newspaper is called the Daily Planet, in a Golden Age Superman story, all you have to do is mentally make the correction. Pretend you read "Daily Star" instead of "Planet," and there you are.

Comment

There's something that's been bugging me. Remember in Identity Crisis, when it's revealed that the new Captain Boomerang's mother wasn't Golden Glider? And that he had super speed? Did we ever find out who his mom is, or are they gonna touch on that in later Outsiders issues? And if the Speed Force is "Gone" (Garrick says it in a 4-page preview of the new Flash on DC's website) does he still have superspeed?

Comment

Originally posted by muffinpeddler
              There's something that's been bugging me. Remember in Identity Crisis, when it's revealed that the new Captain Boomerang's mother wasn't Golden Glider? And that he had super speed? Did we ever find out who his mom is, or are they gonna touch on that in later Outsiders issues? And if the Speed Force is "Gone" (Garrick says it in a 4-page preview of the new Flash on DC's website) does he still have superspeed?
              So far, in Outsiders OYL (which, in case you didn't see the issues or spoilers, has Captain B Jr. as a member), he has shown no evidence of super speed. In fact, they're in process of facing a super fast bad guy, and he took Boomy out without too much effort.

Also, no, to my knowledge it has never yet been revealed for certain who his mother is.

Comment

Didn't think so. Just wondered if the info was out there. thanks! Personally, I believe that his lack of speed in OYL later is due to the speed force not being around, though it becomes hard pressed to explain Jay Garrick and the New Flash (Which could be barry, since DC is run by Silver age fanboys! Grr!)

Comment

Originally posted by muffinpeddler
                  Didn't think so. Just wondered if the info was out there. thanks! Personally, I believe that his lack of speed in OYL later is due to the speed force not being around, though it becomes hard pressed to explain Jay Garrick and the New Flash (Which could be barry, since DC is run by Silver age fanboys! Grr!)
                  I think there have been a few hints as to who the new Flash could possibly be in Infinite Crisis, but you have to be paying attention to catch them. For instance, the Flash that came out of the Speed Force to warn them that SB Prime was coming in one frame had Barry's lightning-belt, and in another frame had Wally's. We also are told that they kept Superboy Prime under a red sun "for years", meaning that time obviously flows differently in there. I think our new Flash will be an amalgam of all the speedsters in the Speed Force, including Wally's infant (and now grown) twins. At least, to start. The new Flash won't use the Speed Force, it will BE the Speed Force. However, no matter WHO runs DC, it's been categorically stated that the new Flash will not be Barry.

Comment

Yep, it won't be Barry. I mean, it's not like they said Jason Todd would never come back...

Comment

Originally posted by mvblacnyte
                      I think there have been a few hints as to who the new Flash could possibly be in Infinite Crisis, but you have to be paying attention to catch them. For instance, the Flash that came out of the Speed Force to warn them that SB Prime was coming in one frame had Barry's lightning-belt, and in another frame had Wally's. We also are told that they kept Superboy Prime under a red sun "for years", meaning that time obviously flows differently in there. I think our new Flash will be an amalgam of all the speedsters in the Speed Force, including Wally's infant (and now grown) twins. At least, to start. The new Flash won't use the Speed Force, it will BE the Speed Force. However, no matter WHO runs DC, it's been categorically stated that the new Flash will not be Barry.
                      Hmmm. Not sure i like the whole "Amalgamation" idea, but it least it's not Barry, although they've already done a good job of demeaning his sacrifice. But BEING the Speed Force? That's cool! Thanks for the info! (My shop STILL hasn't got IC #6, so I'm behind!)

Comment

Originally posted by HalJordan4184
                        Yep, it won't be Barry. I mean, it's not like they said Jason Todd would never come back...
                        Funny thing, though, the whole Jason Todd thing... I don't read the Bat titles, but I've kind of followed a little bit of the Jason Todd return story. Know what? It's not bad. Character-wise, I like Jason as the Red Hood. That being said... the explanation for his return was a little bit on the ridiculous side. OK, a LOT on the ridiculous side.

But, I think we're hijacking this board here. It's supposed to be for general questions about the DCU, we've kind of started using it as a discussion area about new issues... lol...

Comment

Originally posted by mvblacnyte
                          Funny thing, though, the whole Jason Todd thing... I don't read the Bat titles, but I've kind of followed a little bit of the Jason Todd return story. Know what? It's not bad. Character-wise, I like Jason as the Red Hood. That being said... the explanation for his return was a little bit on the ridiculous side. OK, a LOT on the ridiculous side.

But, I think we're hijacking this board here. It's supposed to be for general questions about the DCU, we've kind of started using it as a discussion area about new issues... lol...
                          So what exactly is the explanation? I have all the comics from the time of Jason becoming robin through his death from the Joker. I even remember them letting the fans vote for 'death' or 'life'. Great stuff.

I've checked out the Red Hood character and enjoy it, but I don't follow Bats enough anymore to have seen the explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by DreadShamus
                            So what exactly is the explanation? I have all the comics from the time of Jason becoming robin through his death from the Joker. I even remember them letting the fans vote for 'death' or 'life'. Great stuff.

I've checked out the Red Hood character and enjoy it, but I don't follow Bats enough anymore to have seen the explanation.
                            I'll try to give it in a nutshell. Anybody who does NOT want spoilers and hasn't read the recent Batman annual should skip this post now.

The explanation for Jason's rebirth is the same as the explanation for all the continuity inconsistencies since Zero Hour. Superboy Prime pounded on the walls of the paradise/prison that he and Superman2, Lois, and Alexander Luthor were trapped in. Each blow fractured reality, which caused the continuity shifts.

In Jason's case, it created a continuity in which Jason was not supposed to be dead, but didn't alter history itself. This left Jason alive, awake, and buried in a coffin. Batman had placed sensors around the coffin to tell him of any molestation from the outside. These sensors were inexplicably so fine-tuned that they didn't register Jason breaking out of the coffin and clawing his way to the surface.

Jason ended up walking by the road, nearly catatonic. He was helped by a passerby who took him to a hospital, and he ended up in a coma for some time. He was eventually found by Talia al'Ghul and brought to Ra's al'Ghul's home, but was still catatonic. After a while of trying to bring him out of it, Talia had the grand idea to dump him in a Lazarus pit, which did the trick. He left Talia and created his Red Hood identity, and went after Batman because Bats never avenged him. In fact, during the Hush storyline when Bats fought Jason/Clayface, it really WAS Jason. When Jason took off and Bats followed, he switched places with Clayface to finish the battle.

So, that's it, in a big nutshell. Like I said, the stories I've read with Jason in them have been well-written and have added something to the Batman mythos. But the after-the-fact explanation for his revival disappointed.

Comment

I wish I hadn't asked now... Thats horrible.

Comment

Okay, I'm sorry but I'll ask some real newbie FAQ question

1- What's the speedforce *exactly* ?

2- Tell me of every super hero who is the best at what he does. (Smartest, fastest, strongest, etc.)

3- Who created Doomsday ?

4- If a comic geez has time to make up a list of the ten most powerful Earth hero and why I'd like that

5- How did Joker and Harley Queen met ?

6- What happened in the fight between Superman and the JLA when Supes wanted to be king of the world ? I have the preview issue but never had the chance to get the one with the fight Who won ?

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎