DC Universe F.A.Q.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the Post-Crisis heroes encountered the Anti-Monitor and stopped him from destroying their universe - they just don't remember the other universes involved? Got it.

I always thought they should have just taken every single, frickin' title and rebooted them one-by-one from scratch to avoid problems like Superboy, who kept popping up in Legion of Super-Heroes, but I guess that must not have been the best decision from a marketing point of view or maybe the editorial perspective (I'm not in the biz - so I wouldn't know).

Comment

Originally posted by j03superbat
      So, the Post-Crisis heroes encountered the Anti-Monitor and stopped him from destroying their universe - they just don't remember the other universes involved? Got it.

I always thought they should have just taken every single, frickin' title and rebooted them one-by-one from scratch to avoid problems like Superboy, who kept popping up in Legion of Super-Heroes, but I guess that must not have been the best decision from a marketing point of view or maybe the editorial perspective (I'm not in the biz - so I wouldn't know).
      A lot of people complain about that very thing, but what it boiled down to was that some titles (like LoSH and Hawkman) had ongoing storylines that the didn't just want to abandon. The original Crisis wasn't something that had built up over years of planning like the current Infinite Crisis supposedly has. In fact, the original intent of the character of the Monitor had been as a bad guy, basically the same job Calculator was doing in IDC. Crisis was something they had talked about extensively, but when they decided to do it, they did it with what they had at the time instead of planning it out for years in advance.

And honestly, I was a big fan of the original Crisis and thought it was an amazing piece of work. But the current Infinite Crisis (which I tried to be determined not to like because of the hype) is a far better product so far in my opinion, and my determination not to like it faded long before issue one, with the lead-ins. It's well-written, the art's been amazing so far, the story holds together MUCH better than the original. It's just a better read all around.

Comment

Oh man! Infinite Crisis #4 blew my mind! I can't believe Flash is gone!

I hope he comes back. Also, my favorite Superhero Dick Grayson(The original Robin and now Nightwing) is playing a huge part. They'd better not kill him off.

Comment

Originally posted by nighthawk
          Oh man! Infinite Crisis #4 blew my mind! I can't believe Flash is gone!

I hope he comes back.
          [SPOILER]At WonderCon, Geoff Johns revealed that Wally West doesn't die. He just may not be Flash anymore[/SPOILER].

Comment

Question.
            The fight between Kal-L and Kal-el. Are these fights in the 3 part series and in Crisis #5 the same? Also, I do not understand which Superman died as a result of the Anti Monitior Stomping a mud hole into him in the last Adventures of Superman. It looks like Kal-L of Earth-2. I only know of Kal Earth 1,2, and Superboy Prime, (i do not know all those other ones Infinite #5 was Ultraman in there?).

One more question. Back in Crisis 1985, Earth 3 was destroyed by a anti matter wave. Does anyone think Alexander brought back that earth and does anyone think because the infinite earths have returned, that Pariah can come back due to this loop hole that Alexander has created?

Comment

I can answer the first question. Yes, the fight between Superman and Kal-L in the 3-part This Is Your Life story was the same as the fight in IC #5, just like the fight in Teen Titans #32 was the same Superboy vs. Superboy Prime fight in IC #4. As Kal-El & Kal-L are punching each other, they're passing memories to each other. That is, each one is experiencing what it would have been like to have grown up in the other's universe.

Kal-L imagined what it would have been like to land in Post-Crisis and Kal-El imagined landing in Earth-2. They each would have done things differently than the other.

So the Superman that got stomped by Anti-Monitor is Kal-El. He looks like L because he's in L's body, but it's El.

Comment

Originally posted by j03superbat
                I can answer the first question. Yes, the fight between Superman and Kal-L in the 3-part This Is Your Life story was the same as the fight in IC #5, just like the fight in Teen Titans #32 was the same Superboy vs. Superboy Prime fight in IC #4. As Kal-El & Kal-L are punching each other, they're passing memories to each other. That is, each one is experiencing what it would have been like to have grown up in the other's universe.

Kal-L imagined what it would have been like to land in Post-Crisis and Kal-El imagined landing in Earth-2. They each would have done things differently than the other.

So the Superman that got stomped by Anti-Monitor is Kal-El. He looks like L because he's in L's body, but it's El.
                And while that Superman got stomped, he wasn't really dead, because what we were seeing was a series of "What If" scenarios. Just like Earth-1 wasn't really destroyed when Kal-L (in Kal-El's place) took over as a totalitarian super-dictator.

I would assume that yes, Alex did indeed bring back Earth-3, but I don't envision seeing his mother and father or the Earth-3 Crime Syndicate anytime soon. So far, none of the Earths has come back with a population, just the heroes that were born there or SHOULD have been born there vanishing to their own Earths... but it's only the ones who survived the original Crisis. Which means that no, Lady Quark's family from her Earth didn't show up, nor will Lex Luthor and Lois Lane of Earth-3.

Now, here's another thing that ended up odd, though. Why did Wonder Woman of Earth-2 fade away after chatting with our WW? By the precedent set when the JSA disappeared to Earth-2, SHE should have shown up there too. Instead, she ceased to exist.

As for Pariah, I doubt he's coming back. TPTB have said that he's dead, and his immortality was tied to the original Multiverse. BUT, that being said, yeah, the Multiverse is (temporarily) back right now, so sure, I suppose it's possible he could be back. TPTB at DC have flat said no, he's dead for good, though... and that usually means they don't have any plans right now to bring him back.
                Last edited by mvblacnyte; 03-13-2006, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mvblacnyte
                  A lot of people complain about that very thing, but what it boiled down to was that some titles (like LoSH and Hawkman) had ongoing storylines that the didn't just want to abandon. The original Crisis wasn't something that had built up over years of planning like the current Infinite Crisis supposedly has. In fact, the original intent of the character of the Monitor had been as a bad guy, basically the same job Calculator was doing in IDC. Crisis was something they had talked about extensively, but when they decided to do it, they did it with what they had at the time instead of planning it out for years in advance.

And honestly, I was a big fan of the original Crisis and thought it was an amazing piece of work. But the current Infinite Crisis (which I tried to be determined not to like because of the hype) is a far better product so far in my opinion, and my determination not to like it faded long before issue one, with the lead-ins. It's well-written, the art's been amazing so far, the story holds together MUCH better than the original. It's just a better read all around.
                  So what did you think of Zero Hour? Problems with Hawkman and a few other comics made it necessary to flesh out original Crisis flaws. But I was a huge fan of the alternate universe Superboy who still had classic superman level powers as an explanation for his presence in LoSH.

Also, If you've read the new Superman that is '1 Year Later' what do you think of that whole story line?

Comment

Originally posted by DreadShamus
                    So what did you think of Zero Hour? Problems with Hawkman and a few other comics made it necessary to flesh out original Crisis flaws. But I was a huge fan of the alternate universe Superboy who still had classic superman level powers as an explanation for his presence in LoSH.

Also, If you've read the new Superman that is '1 Year Later' what do you think of that whole story line?
                    Zero Hour was necessary only because those characters like Hawkman weren't rebooted with CoIE, as they should have been. CoIE could have served completely, with no need for a Zero Hour, simply by DC sticking to its guns and rebooting EVERY title.

However, had they done that, our current Infinite Crisis would not be what it is now. What we're getting is an explanation of all the discrepancies left after Crisis and Zero Hour, but NOT a fix for them as far as I can tell. Essentially, what seems to be happening is, the heroes themselves are discovering what we as readers know: continuity is fluid and malleable. If this is the route DC is going (as they appear to be), and it's explained and planned well, and IF IT WORKS, then never again will a fanboy (such as myself) ever cry in anguish over minor continuity glitches.

As for the Superman OYL storyline so far, who knows whether the storyline will be good. The first installment didn't really set up the storyline at all. What I WILL say is, the first installment was well-written, and did do a decent job of outlining the new status quo for the Man of Steel.

Comment

Actually the completely recreated Hawkman. I really enjoyed the new Hawkman, but then the JLA of that time started using the original Hawkman and Hawkgirl at the same time and that created huge continuity problems.

Is there an explanation for Superman having no powers? I was lost there.

Comment

Originally posted by DreadShamus
                        Actually the completely recreated Hawkman. I really enjoyed the new Hawkman, but then the JLA of that time started using the original Hawkman and Hawkgirl at the same time and that created huge continuity problems.

Is there an explanation for Superman having no powers? I was lost there.
                        The explanation for Superman not having powers will be in Infinite Crisis 7, I'm sure. It's kind of weird that they did the OYL jump BEFORE the end of IC. It was supposed to tantalize us with the whole "year without a Superman, year without a Wonder Woman, year without a Batman" thing, but we're not getting ANY time without them. The first issue of Batman OYL should have had NO Batman. Superman did it better, with Clark having no powers and not being Supes anymore, but an issue without Clark would have worked too. But I can see why they went the route they did there. On Bats, though, we should have had an issue (or two) with no Batman, just Bruce Wayne, and then showed us IN THE STORY why Batman decides to put the cape and cowl back on, instead of just giving it to us as an already done deal.

PS: they didn't recreate Hawkman until well after the end of CoIE, after the rest had been rebooted for a while already. This caused a large part of the problem, because other titles didn't know which Hawkman to use in guest appearances and whatnot, so we had multiple versions of the same character running around, all of which were supposed to be in-continuity. And then, when they DID re-boot or recreate him, it was done sloppily. I'm just saying, if at the same time they had the Man of Steel mini, they'd have had an, I dunno, Man of Nth Metal mini, it would have worked better and taken out Hawkman's contribution to the need for Zero Hour. I'm not as familiar with that whole story as I am with the LoSH, though.
                        Last edited by mvblacnyte; 03-28-2006, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Well Hawkman hadn't sold as a solo title in years so there was no real reason to 'reboot' him yet. The final reboot was an attempt to get him his own title.

A lot of the changes in heroes changed over time after Crisis. Really only Wonder Woman and Superman were instant changes. Even Batman kept going until they did the Year One comics

Comment

What's with the Flash? He may not continue as Flash? Grrr! I remember reading the 1st issue of 'his' comic, and laughing that he ate tons of airplane food, and beat some hijacker or something and left those lil lightining bolt ring impressions on the guy's forehead. WW is Flash for me.

Comment

Lots of people said the same thing about Barry when he died and was replaced by Wally. And Wally has gained an incredible following over the past 20 years, possibly surpassing Barry in popularity. But it's a legacy thing.

Wally may or may not be the Flash coming to the new series, they're keeping it under wraps big time. All I can tell you for certain is that the Flash in the upcoming series will be a male... judging by the artwork I've seen. Other than that I have only guesses, educated and otherwise.

Don't feel too bad about the possibility of Wally not being around anymore, though. I'm dead certain that, in or out of costume, we'll be seeing Wally, Linda, and the twins again.

Comment

I know this one is going to be tough, but my question comes from the Recent IC #6. How in the world could Alenander L from Earth 3 temp bring back people from Alt Earths? I was under the notion that he was only bringing back the earths and not the people, case in point earth #2. We saw Lex Luthor from Earth 3 and a bunch on other random people from Alt Earths.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎