No announcement yet.

Too Many Reasons

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Many Reasons

This is something I've been working on, let me know what you think!

Too Many Reasons
    By: Randie
    Rating: PG-13 for now, who knows about later
    Disclaimer: I own nothing, abosolutely nothing, these people are just my toys
    Summary: What happens when Lex tells her the truth about his feelings?
    Spoilers: Up to and after Lexmas, non canon after that

Prologue

He closed his eyes and leaned back in the leather chair behind his desk, swirling the brandy in his snifter a little. The fireplace crackled in the background as he contemplated his next move. His father had called an hour before to tell him he was coming to visit the plant in two days to go over the profit and loss statement for that quarter. And, he added, to look at the employee records to do some marginal downsizing. He wished, right then, that his other half had not goaded the old man into reverting to his former ways. Lex rather liked the philanthropic Lionel more than the commandeering one.

The doors to his office sanctuary came open and he opened his heavy eyes to see who was the intruder. One of his security staff had dropped him a little present for his afternoon, making it a little brighter. A small smile teased the corner of his mouth and eyes and he set his glass down and stood up, walking around his desk to take her hand.

Lana Lang.

The tempest beauty from the small hick town; the one being since Helen that he had broken through his shell for, to love with all his being. As much as he could anyway. As much as he hated his other half, he had done the one thing that he had wanted to do for so long, and for that he was thankful. Too bad he hadn’t felt it or remembered it, then he would have finally felt what it would be to be in heaven, cause God knew he wasn’t going there.

“Lana,” he said casually, “what can I do for you this afternoon?”

She smiled, her eyes and nose crinkling just so, “Well, I thought we could talk about some things I was thinking of doing for the Talon before I went away for that month in June. I know its coming up, and we’ve been too busy with other-“ she looked down for a moment, “things, that I thought this would be a good day to get it done.”

He thought about it for a moment, tapping his finger to his lip, and reached for his cell phone. Calling a number real quick, he voiced into the phone, “Hello. Can you tell the stables I’ll be there in twenty minutes, with a guest, san then can you cancel any other business for the rest of the day? Thank you.”

Walking back around his desk, he took off his tie, shut the laptop and slammed what little liquor there was left in the glass. Coming back to her, he reached for her hand, pulling it to his, kissing the knuckles eloquently. “I am all yours for the rest of the foreseeable future, Miss Lang. And to truly discuss the Talon without any distractions, we need to do it in the free air.”

She smiled, “Let’s go.”

They rode for what seemed like forever, nothing between them, but horseflesh and air. Small clouds were gathering in the sky above them, and the tension was ebbing away slowly with every step. Clouds were gathering in the distance and a slight chill slipped through as their time together progressed. So far in their discussion, all they had covered was changing the daily specials.

Coming to a grove of trees, Lana dismounted and walked her horse over to rest. Lex circled, then also jumping off his ride, walking over to meet her.

“So, what else did you want to discuss?”

She smiled. “Well, if you must know, its kind of complicated.” She took a deep breath. Lex, patient as always, waited with baited breath. “ I wanted to talk about the spaceship.”

He reached inside his saddlebag and grabbed a couple of rolled up blankets. Spreading one out, he offered her to sit and then handed the other to cover herself with. “Well, what did you want to know?”

She sobered. “I was wondering why you didn’t tell me sooner. I mean, you said partner and that’s great, but I really need to know why.”

He thought about it for a moment and turned his head toward the clouds in the distance. “Something’s looming in the distance, Lana, and I don’t really want to get you involved. That’s the only reason you weren’t told right off.” He looked at her then, his head half-crooked.

She stared into his eyes as he gathered her hands together with his. “You mean too much to me, Lana. Too much to be jeopardized by something like this.”

She thought she saw him flinch—lust a little, as he said those words. Putting an arm around her shoulders, he gave her a sly smile.

Taking a deep breath, she voiced her question softly, almost unrecognizable, “Lex, are you in love with me?”

She felt him arm twitch, and his head turned away once again. “Lana, I’ve told you many times, no feelings or desires that I have will ever come between our friendship. I can’t possibly tell you many more times without sounding very redundant.” He looked back at her. “Regardless of how I feel, you belong to Clark. He’s my friend. That’s something I can never tread over lightly.”

She curled into herself, pulling the blanket closer, thinking.

“What’s wrong?” He looked concerned.

“You never answered the question.” She averted her eyes quickly, knowing that one look from him, she would let it die, but now she knew she needed to know—no more games.

He sighed and turned her chin to look at him; his eyes drinking her in all the while, and moisture gathering slightly at the corners. Shakily, he said, “Yes, Lana. I do.”

Chapter One

Yesterday hadn’t gone well. Their ‘meeting’ they were supposed to have, turned into confession from Lex and the quiet treatment from Lana. Today, however, Lana was determined to get more information from her friend. Regardless of how he felt about telling her, she needed to know how long this has been going on. Actually she had a lot more questions going on in her head, but that was the number one thought she could get a grip on.

The Talon provided a great refuge while she thought about their little problem.

It was dark out and there were many people still about outside, shopping for the holidays. In fact, the business had picked up to the point that Lois had even come in to help out, and she had been called in from Metropolis. Not that she wasn’t already headed here, but still, the fact of the matter remained that she was called in on her way back to Smallville.

Lana settled in with the books, checking them over, when she got a call on the store’s line. “Hello?”

It was Clark. “Lana, its Lex.” He started slowly.

“Clark, what’s going on?” She held her breath.

“He was robbed, Lana, robbed in the street and then shot. He’s been brought into Smallville Medical Center, but they don’t know what’s going to happen.”

Her heart slowed, then quickened, in a pattern that she didn’t know was evolving into a panic attack. “I’ll be right there, Clark.”

Grabbing her purse, she headed out the door to her SUV.

She stood at the window of his room with her palm flat on the glass. Fat, lonely teardrops slid down her cheeks, which were already too red from crying. The doctors had told them he was in a coma. They weren’t sure if was going to come out of it, and that wasn’t acceptable to her. She had planned on them talking about yesterday. That was the whole point of getting everything that she wanted to say together in her head, like a story she could tell with eyes closed since she knew all the words.

His skin color was like ash. He looked dead.

You couldn’t even really tell that he was breathing unless you were standing so close you could touch his chest, or were reading the monitors lining his bed. She shook her head and wiped the right side of her cheeks.

Lex Luthor.

Senator Luthor.

Senator Lex Luthor.

Such dreams and aspirations he had, not like Jonathan Kent had a chance, she mused, actually wondering where that came from. With Lex in the running, no one could win, she was sure of it. None of that mattered now, she thought as she wiped the left side.

Steeling herself for the night, she grabbed the door handle and pushed it in, and closing it silently behind her. Grabbing a uncomfortable looking easy chair, she pulled it over to his bedside and sat up, grabbing his hand. “Come back to me, Lex, you bastard. You can’t do this, we need to talk about, you know…” Her voice trailed off and she started to sob, hard, and in earnest. She reached even further up and laid her head on his chest, holding on hand, and her other resting softly on his cheek.

Clark watched from the window, the man of steel finally meeting his match.

Chapter Two

Her eyes were closed and a flimsy pale blue blanket that the hospital staff had given her covered her. She had slept there for days now, changed there, ate there, and they even let her shower there. She had not left his side since she had gone home to pack a bag.

Lois had come to the hospital and Lana had asked her to take over everything at the Talon until Lex woke up and she had agreed, take piles of notes, invoicing information, and other things needed to keep Lana’s real life going. Mrs. Kent had brought her a dish of apple cobbler to keep her warm one night. Mr. Kent had brought a coverlet for the chair she slept in, covered in wool, to make it tolerable for her back. Chloe had brought some books; mystery, romance, and intrigue. She hadn’t touched them. Clark came once in awhile, but all they did was sit and stare at the ceiling, not talking, except for the niceties, and basically making the room as silent as a tomb.

Her time had been spent talking to Lex and the doctors. Lionel came in from time to time, checking in, offering advice. She ignored him mostly.

Today though, he was coming to sit with Lex too.

She would have to share Lex with his father.

His father that inwardly hated his son.

He was weak as a child; asthma. Weak as a teenager; bald and pathetic, always feeling sorry for himself. Weak as an adult; couldn’t kill his father when he was pitiful and deceitful.

Lana hated him. Hated him more now that he had decided to play the good father to the people that had surrounded Lex; that wanted to fix him. He was despicable, and she knew it.

But, because Lex was out, she would deal with him.

That was why her eyes were still closed.

If she could keep her dreams going, then she could pretend that Lex was awake, and that they had had their talk, and she had already shared her feelings with him. While her eyes were closed, she could keep this life, knowing that Lex had already woke up, and that everything was going to be okay. In her dreams, she was going to be his queen; castles she had only dreamed about, all theirs in her mind. Away from Smallville, Metropolis. Maybe in France. She loved France, and knew that was one thing they had shared as well.

In France then.

A nurse touched her shoulder, causing her to jump, startled when her hand had left Lex’s. The kindly nurse smiled down at her, “Sorry Lana,” she blushed a little, “I was coming by to check his vitals and wanted to know what you wanted for breakfast this morning. Oh, and Mr. Luthor is on his was. He left the mansion a few minutes ago and had one of the staff phone here.”

Lana rubbed her eyes and sighed. “I’ll have a ton of coffee and a muffin if there’s any today. Guess I missed the chance for a shower, but I’m changing before Lionel gets here.” So he can’t be alone with Lex, she thought to herself, Lex would never forgive me if I left that madman in there with him.

She stood up and leaned down to kiss his forehead. Placing a hand on his cheek, she whispered to him, “Be back in a minute Lex. If your dad comes in, ignore him. I have a plan of how we’re going to deal with him today.” She kissed him on the cheek, and then walked out to go to the bathroom.

A few minutes later, she came back just a Lionel Luthor was walking into the room. Her coffee and muffin, as well as a fruit plate, sat on Lex’s bedside table waiting for her. “Hello, Mr. Luthor,” she said quietly.

“Lana, my dear girl, how is our favorite boy this morning?” He walked over to the other side of his bed and shed his long, black overcoat, placing it in the closet on a hanger.

“He’s fine. No change, but he’s fine. Just sleeping.” She took her post by the side of him and started to eat.

Pulling a thermos out from somewhere, he used the lid for a cup. Talon House Blend wafted into the room. “When you’re done with that cup Lana, I have some coffee from the Talon, if you’d prefer it to this garbage.” He gestured to her cup and smiled. A little too brightly.

“No thank you, Mr. Luthor. I’m growing kind of fond of the ‘garbage’ here.” She sat back in her chair to look him down, chewing on a piece of her muffin.

“Alright, then.” He sat down in the other chair, taking hold of Lex’s hand, his thumb stroking his fingers.

She ate in silence, and pushed the tray away. Grabbing a book she had brought from home, she started to read out loud.

MARK but this flea, and mark in this,
    How little that which thou deniest me is ;
    It suck'd me first, and now sucks thee,
    And in this flea our two bloods mingled be.
    Thou know'st that this cannot be said
    A sin, nor shame, nor loss of maidenhead ;
    Yet this enjoys before it woo,
    And pamper'd swells with one blood made of two ;
    And this, alas ! is more than we would do.

O stay, three lives in one flea spare,
    Where we almost, yea, more than married are.
    This flea is you and I, and this
    Our marriage bed, and marriage temple is.
    Though parents grudge, and you, we're met,
    And cloister'd in these living walls of jet.
    Though use make you apt to kill me,
    Let not to that self-murder added be,
    And sacrilege, three sins in killing three.

Cruel and sudden, hast thou since
    Purpled thy nail in blood of innocence?
    Wherein could this flea guilty be,
    Except in that drop which it suck'd from thee?
    Yet thou triumph'st, and say'st that thou
    Find'st not thyself nor me the weaker now.
    'Tis true ; then learn how false fears be ;
    Just so much honour, when thou yield'st to me,
    Will waste, as this flea's death took life from thee.

She sat back, placing the bookmark in the page and setting it between her and the chair.

“John Donne, Miss Lang? Very impressive.” Lionel sat up a little to look at her, scrutinize her. “A fascination that you and Lex share I see. You know I always told him that his study of prose as well as history would someday get his what he wanted.” A chuckle. “Aren’t you what he wanted, Lana?”

She sat up taller and leaned over Lex a little more. “Mr. Luthor, your son didn’t win me like some cattle to be sold off at auction. I am his friend. I love him and I would appreciate it if you kept your mouth shut when what you say neither concerns you nor is the truth. Are we clear?” She looked him directly in the eyes, what she knew would be that hardest to do and waited, for something. Her heart was racing, he mind ablaze with retorts she could use against him if she needed to.

“Well done, Lana. Well done.” That was all he said as he leaned back in his chair and rubbed his right forefinger over his mouth in contemplation.

“Good.” She sat back, blank-faced. Her heart was still beating hard, but because she had won a battle she was so sure she would lose. Grabbing Lex’s hand one more time she leaned down and kissed it, her breath tickling his skin in hopes of a reaction, like the doctors had asked for. “Thank you, Mr. Luthor.”

The day was hers, for now.

Chapter Three

It was dawn and they were lying in the grass near her Aunt Nell’s old farm. His body was slim, a little bony in places, and warm. She laid there under a blanket, leaning into his form, content and quiet. They were discussing their pasts.

“You know, if I didn’t know you better Mr. Luthor, I would say that you were the ever-diligent student.” She laughed a little.

“I was hardly the star student at Excelsior, but I did have the highest GPA of the class. Even the headmaster called me a maniacal genius. Said I mirrored Einstein in the theories of relativity.” He smiled a little, and kissed her on the forehead. “Enough about that.” He pushed her up and stood up himself, dusting off his back.

He leaned in and put his arms around her shoulders, his hands in her thick hair. “I love you, Lana Lang.”

“I love you, Lex Luthor.” She wrapped her arms around his chest and leaned in to kiss him on his mouth.

A warm hand laid on her shoulder, shaking her gently. “Lana?”

She looked up, blinking the sleep away, irritated slightly that her dream was interrupted. “Yeah, Clark, what’s up?”

A handsome, earthy face, filled with so much of his own love for her, looked down at her with one of his award-winning smiles. “Mom sent me by to get your clothes so she could wash them. Chloe wanted to know what you needed from her, and Lois told me to tell you that the Talon is fine and she was going to ‘bag me’ as soon as she saw me again for the crap I keep putting her through everyday, helping out.” His grin got bigger, if it was possible.

She smiled, “Thanks, Clark.” Standing up, she grabbed the bag of her laundry, and handed it over. “Tell Chloe, it A-OK here and I need nothing. Really. Tell Lois, I’m happy she’s helping out, and I hope everything is okay for her doing this for me.”

Clark took the bag, brushing her fingers. “I miss you Lana, I really do.”

Lana turned away, facing the bed, looking down at Lex.

“Can we please talk about this, Lana? I thought we were finally getting to that place you wanted us to be at. You with the sharing and tell each other secrets? I’m you’re friend, or did you forget about that?” He sounded incredibly hurt.

“Clark,” she began, “I can’t do this now.”

“Okay, Lana, I understand.” He started to back away, walking for the door. “I’ll just say that we’re on a break, alright? That might make it easier for both of us.” He paused as he was swinging the door shut, “He’s hid things from you too, just remember that, okay?”

She shook her head and let the tears fall down her face. She laid her head down on his chest and cried. Eventually, somehow, she ended lying there next to him, where she dreamed along with him.

When the nurse came in to take his evening’s vitals, Lex’s hand was curled around Lana’s shoulder, possessively.

Chapter Three

He closed his eyes and waited to hear her footsteps tip-tap into his study. Many, many times, he had wished for this; the time when he’d tell her the truth and wait to see what she’d say. Unfortunately, she’d already been told and even though he’d been shot, in a coma, and then transported quickly home, he’d have to face the reality of his actions.

Today.

Now.

The door came open after a slight knock, and she appeared. She didn’t know about the dream, the choices he’d made since. He wasn’t going to watch the fragile petals of this flower wither and die because of him making selfish choices. Not if he had the power to stop it. And he did. That was precisely what he didn’t want her to know.

When he had woken from the deep sleep his body had thrown his body into, he decided that from that moment on, she would be his first priority. Her slightly crooked teeth; her supple lips; the laughs that came from the times when he acted like an ass. He was going to save her, be her messiah. Only, she wasn’t going to know it.

“Lex.” His name was a sigh on passing from her lips and he smiled. He stood up and walked around the desk to meet her and hug her tightly.

“Hey, Lana. How are you?” He closed his eyes when they wrapped their arms around each other, savoring the feel of their bodies being pressed together for that moment.

“Better now that you’re okay.” She pulled back, but kept her hands on his lower arms. “You had us scared, Lex Luthor.”

He closed his eyes for a minute, remembering another time in the recesses of his mind, ‘I love you too, Lex Luthor. You’re a good man.’ He shrugged it off. “I didn’t mean to put you through anything unnecessary, Lana. I only wish I could have been there when you told my father off.”

She grinned, stopping his heart again for the millionth time in the last few moments. “I had to. He was being such a jerk.”

“Thank you, Lana.” He looked at her with warmth and regard. “Thank you, so much.”

That stopped her for a moment, and then she smiled again. “Come on, let’s sit down and talk. You owe me one.”

They walked over to the couch next to the fireplace and faced each other. He took her hands, absentmindedly stroking the tops of her fingers. She licked her lips and settled back. “So…”

“So.”

“You had a bad dream. You were yelling and screaming when they finally brought you out of it the other night. Wanna talk about it?” She looked at him meekly, waiting for him to open up.

Should I tell her, he asked himself. Do I tell her that in the future, if I give all this up to be the person I want to be inside, she dies, and the only love I’ve ever known; the only true love, dies with her? He threw all this around in his head, looking at the floor, the stained glass windows, anywhere but at her. The fight inside of him was almost too much for him to bear. Finally, it came to him. He could have her, yes, he could. Just work it around a little. Have her for now, the voice in his head said to him. What is it that Tennyson had said? ‘ 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.’

He took a deep breath, his eyes carefully non-committal. “I don’t want to talk about that. Really. It’s just the insecurities that I have inside that no one needs to bother themselves with. If you had even a moment of time to spend dipping into my psyche, you’d damage yourself for a very long time, Lana.”

She smiled. “Do you want to talk about us then?”

He dropped her hands and rounded the couch, heading for the bar. “Would you care for a drink before we talk? I know I could use one.”

She nodded and he grabbed two small glasses. Then he came back carefully, and set their glasses down on the glass table in front of them. “So,” he began, rubbing his hands together slightly, “what did you want to talk about?”

She steeled herself, although she was shaking inside. “I wanted to talk about our feelings, Lex, you know, getting them out in the open.” She looked away.

He drew in a long breath and let it out slowly. “Alright.” He sat there, wondering where to begin.

She reached over and took his large hands in his. “While you were sleeping, I thought about what I wanted to say. In a million years, I never would have thought I’d be sitting here, on your couch, talking about this. After our ride together, before your accident, though, I knew then that I needed to get this out.”

She gulped. “I saw you with that girl. The one in the pool.” He nodded and leaned in closer. “You were naked, on that lounger and were whispering things to her, things, God, that I had never heard up to that point. You were clinging to her, like she was your lifeboat in a dead ocean. I saw the feelings on your face and knew then—at that moment, I wanted to be her. I wanted to have you naked, quoting prose to me while you were running your hands all over me…” She faded off, searching his face for any emotion. None was to be found. “Lex?” She asked quietly.

“You were attracted Lana, nothing more. I mean come on, a girl of ten walking in to seeing two people enjoying each other’s company? Not something I’d say I would use as an opening line to negotiations for a relationship.” He leaned back into the arm of the couch, spreading his hands. “I was your Romeo at ten. How about at 19? Can you honestly say that I inspire those thoughts in you even now?” Inside, he was silently hoping she’d say no, that he could walk away from this unscarred and still be able to smile at that face with the friendship he should have.

Consciously though, he made a decision. Leaning into her, he smelled the mint and hint of latte on her breath, and whispered, “Could I take you Lana? Take you to heights you’ve never been to? Play with your dreams and make you mine, all with the intention of pulling and tugging at your heart until it wants nothing but to be with me? Make myself your obsession?”

A pause, and he leaned closer, his mouth a breath away now.

“Could you love me for the rest of your life knowing me like you do?”

She stared at him, stunned. Quietly, meekly, she whispered back, “You are a good man, Lex Luthor.”

And with that, he was lost—he met her mouth in a fury worthy of any God, plundering her with his tongue and teeth. Muffled he added, “You will be the death of me, Lana Lang.”

He was damned.
    Last edited by randie; 12-23-2005, 08:29 AM.

Here's chapter 4, enjoy everyone!

Chapter 4

A warm hand curled around her side and she awoke to stretching in a strange bed. Cream colored silk sheets, covered the bed, along with cream blankets and comforters. Swag taffeta curtains hung from the posters on the big dark oak frame. The room was somewhat dark, as large heavy drapes hung from a huge window. Only it wasn’t a window, she thought to herself, it was French-style doors. She’d seen them when she drove in from the gates. Usually, she would see Lex leaning over the balcony, staring out into the night, a brandy in his hand.

It dawned on her where she was then, and the realization panicked her. She sat up and gasped when she realized she was naked. She looked back and forth as she pulled the sheet to her chest and searched for her clothes. Then she remembered.

She and Lex had slept together.

He had been the most attentive lover, her second. Clark had been her first, and had been clumsy in that first time sort of way, but it was sweet. Lex was anything but sweet, that was for sure. Worshipped her, that’s what he had done. His mouth had covered her in places that she never thought was possible; in ways that were possibly improbable. His eyes had never left hers as she had taken him into her mouth, at the beginning, and she remembered the pleasure she saw shoot through those normally non-expressive eyes.

He’d been hot, but he had made her hotter.

At one time, and she laughed as she thought of it, but she had even rubbed his head for a few seconds. While he was down there.

She felt the bed move and a smile crept on her face. Leaning back into the pillows, she looked over and stared. Lex was beauty. He had a small scar above his upper lip, the brightest freckles on his shoulder and back. And she had kissed every one of them last night, she thought. He had a scar on his groin as well; small, and round, like a bullet wound. She’d rubbed that one too, as if to commit it to memory, in case this would never happen again.

Donne and Shakespeare flowed out of his mouth like it was the only language he’s ever spoken, and he was right, if said right, it was all about seduction.

Lex Luthor was a man that knew how to seduce.

Love you, want you, need you; these phrases leapt from his mouth as he came inside her, helping her join him. And after? He had sworn to her over and over, as he buried his face in her bosom, that he would be the only person in her life to never leave her.

Lana Lang was loved by Lex Luthor.

She laid her hand on his cheek, only for a moment, and then closed her eyes to rest, if only for a moment more.

Comment

Here's Chapter Five and Six.... Enjoy everyone and leave lots of feedback! I love it!!!

Chapter Five

He rose from the bed a few hours later, being cautious not to wake her. He stood there, naked; his dick lying limp against his leg, staring at the beauty that lay there curled on his sheets. She had been amazing last night, more receptive than even his wildest dreams. She had been his weakness where there should have been none, but there was nothing he could do about it now; the damage was indeed done. He had indeed seen paradise, and all it made him want was more.

Gathering the foil packages from his nightstand to throw away, he noticed one used condom lying over the edge of the can, so as he dropped the others, he picked this one up. A ragged tear was split all the way down the side of it. His eyes widened at that. Panicked, he walked quickly to the toilet in his personal bathroom and threw it away, concealing the evidence. He couldn’t have this, not right now.

Glancing back at her, he felt a sweat start to form at his brow, which was crinkled with worry. She can’t get pregnant now Lex, he thought to himself. We all know where that path will lead us.

He threw on the shower, as hot as he could stand it and stepped in. All four heads were pointed down directly over him, the water making red streaking tracks all the way down. He closed his eyes and welcomed the pain, punishing himself for not taking more care. Minutes, maybe hours passed by and he finally started to clean himself off. And then, almost as abruptly as he had turned the shower on, he shut it off.

Without a towel, he walked out into his suite and grabbed his terrycloth robe hanging from a rack. Sitting down at the foot of the bed, he watched her sleeping as his mind was formulating a plan on how to take care of this transgression.

He could take her to Paris, run away from his father and try not to let her die.

He could throw her out, never see her again and ruin that beautiful spirit for the rest of her life.

He could demand she take a morning after pill, to take away the chance of a pregnancy.

But most of all, he had to make sure she was safe. The only thing though, is that he wasn’t so sure that she shouldn’t be safe from him.

But Lana loved him. The one person in his life he could trust, and he was thinking about doing these things to her? He was losing his mind. There had to be another way. Slowly, he ran his hands back and forth over his head, as if trying to pull something, anything, out to help him.

She was watching him. Had been for the last few minutes. His father must have called or something, he seemed so upset. She sat up while his head was ducked down and cleared her voice. “Lex?”

He looked up, startled, and smiled rather madly for a moment. Coming quickly to her side, he sat down, in that fashion that all the Luther’s seem to have; all fluidity and grace. “Lana, how did you sleep?” His voice was calm, and he had visibly calmed after his hand had touched her.

“I slept wonderfully, Lex. What’s wrong?” She reached out and grabbed both of his hands to steady him, help keep him grounded.

He looked down, “Nothing, just anxious about meetings and things that I have to do today. You know, a Luthor never rests.” Dropping her hands, he stood up, and before moving across the room, he leaned down and gave her a soft kiss on the mouth.

She scoffed for a moment, wondering where this was coming from. Then she looked at him.

Lex Luthor was scared. Very scared.

She stood up, gathering a sheet around herself, and moving toward her clothes. “What has happened Lex? You’re not acting like yourself. Was it your fath--”

He turned around from his closet, to cut her off, with pieces of the suit he would wear in hand, “No, Lana. I’m just thinking.” He smiled one of the worst he had ever smiled in her presence.

As she started to dress, yanking her clothes on as she went, she got mad. Pissed off kind of mad. “What about no secrets, Lex? I seem to recall several of those promises made last night! Were you lying then, or was the whole night some lie? Something to get me into bed with you?”

Tears were now flowing freely down her face and she was gasping and sputtering as she finished getting dressed. Gathering all the calm he could muster, he walked over to her, his shirt hanging open; unbuttoned and untucked. Taking her face in his hands, he looked down at her and smiled. “Don’t worry, Lana. I have everything under control, and nothing’s wrong.”

Control. She narrowed her eyes and walked to the door after freeing herself from his grasp. Stopping with her hand on the handle, she spoke carefully, “I think it’d be okay if we didn’t see each other for a while, Lex. Just stay away.” And as she left she added in a whisper that he almost didn’t hear, “I thought you were different.”

Well, he thought to himself, that was one way to take care of the problem, a bad way, but a way.

Chapter Six

Clark was cleaning some cobwebs off the ceiling in the Talon a few days later, with Lana deep cleaning out the display cases, when a knock was coming from the front door. Clark looked over and smiled at Lana, “I’ll see who it is. Be right back.”

Without stopping what she was doing, or looking at him, “If,” she started bitterly, “it’s him.”

Clark looked down at the floor. “I know.”

Shimming down the rest of the way down the ladder, he tossed his cloth onto a small nearby table and wiped his hands off onto his pants. Opening the door, he quickly saw who it was, and tried to shut it, but was stopped but a hand.

“Hello Clark.” Lex looked calm in his Armani suit, polished to the nines.

“Lex, you need to go. Neither of us have anything to say to you.” Clark pushed Lex’s hand through the door and pulled it shut.

Grabbing his keys, and looking toward the heaven, Lex shook his head, which shone in the streetlights, and put it in the lock. Pulling door open, he walked in and was stopped by Clark in the entryway. He rolled his eyes and wryly smiled up at the boy. “Clark, you need to understand, none of this involves you. None of it.”

Clark placed his hands on his hips and smiled down his former friend, and now betrayer. “Lex, I really don’t care if it involves me at all. Lana’s my friend, and as her friend, I have decided that when she asked me to stop you from seeing her, then that’s what I was going to do. You need to leave.”

Lex looked over t her, her head down, scrubbing furiously at dirt that wasn’t there. “Lana.”

She wouldn’t answer.

“Lana!” He yelled louder this time.

She stopped wiping, but wouldn’t look at him or speak.

Leaning in toward Clark, he smiled at him once more, although he was sure that Clark could see his resolve splitting. “You know Clark, I have to say two things to you.” He looked down at the floor and chuckled, and then looked back at the farm boy in front of him. “One—she can’t be yours. She’s tasted me, loves me, wants me. Hell, Kent, I’ve taken her places in her pleasure experiences that you’ll never dream of going with her. She loves me, and thanks to you, will so, for the rest of her life. Second –if you want to be upset over the ‘betrayal’ against you and your family, fine. Let me remind you though, the greatest enemies in the annals of history? They were also once the best of friends. Think on that, Clark. Get back to me on it.” He turned and walked out, his trench coat swirling behind him.

Stopping just short of the door, he looked back to Lana one more time, “If you could only know what I’ve sacrificed to be what I am, Lana. If you could only see what it was that I have fought inside me so many times; what I wanted versus what I needed. And you know what I found out, Lana?” He waited and then continued as if she had gone along with the conversation, “They were one and the same. They were you, Lana.”

He walked out, not hearing her cries, or the comforting of her by his former best friend.

A couple of weeks went by, and supper was being served in the Kent farmhouse. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, and salad were splayed out. Martha, Jonathan, Clark, Lois, Lana, and Chloe were all there, for the two Metropolis girls were visiting. Chatter was abundant, as were smiles. As the meal wore on, Lana started to feel more and more sick, like she was coming down with the flu. “Not now.”

“You okay, Lana?” Clark leaned over smiling.

“Yeah,” she smiled small. “I have to use the restroom. I’ll be right back.” She got up and went to the bathroom, almost not making it.

While her head was down in the toilet retching, she went over in her mind about what was causing this, even though inside she already knew.

A knock sounded on the door, and she couldn’t answer as another spasm rocked through her. Chloe walked in, quickly grabbing a washcloth and getting it wet and hot for her friend. She walked over slowly and smiled as she offered it to her. “How far along?”

Lana merely smiled at her friend as the feeling started to pass. “You’re a good guess, what gives?”

Chloe looked at herself in the mirror straightening her hair. “Well,” she started, “you’ve been looking like the grim reaper has been sitting on your lap ever since we’ve been able to smell the food. Oh yeah, that and last night when I stayed over, I heard you throwing up for about a half hour. Kinda puts things into perspective.”

Standing up and looking at herself, she rinsed out the washcloth and gave herself and good once over. Chloe added, “Makeup is severely overrated anyway.”

Shyly, Lana looked at her and smiled once more. “Thanks.”

“No problem. Now, the question of the year is, who’s is it?” Chloe stood there rapt, looking at Lana’s reflection.

Lana looked down and fingered the hairbrush on the sink. “I don’t know.” She looked up to see her friend’s reaction.

Chloe was still smiling. “You know I love a good mystery Lana, doesn’t matter if you know or not. Who are the prospects?”

Lana looked away.

Chloe’s smile dropped. “That means Clark is one of them, huh?”

Her friend looked up at her with eyes brimming with tears, her face already a mess. “Yeah.”

“And the other?”

A quieter voice this time, “Lex.”

“Oh my God, Lana.”

Comment

If anyone would care to leave any feedback at all, it would be appreciated! Thank you so much for reading it, but I would love to know if you like it, hate it, or even if you're really even there.

Chapter 7

Her footsteps echoed as she walked down the hall of the Smallville Medical Center. Her first appointment. Her first appointment to find out if she was pregnant or not. Fifteen different tests couldn’t be wrong, but then, Chloe went a little overboard. As she checked in, she grabbed a magazine off the rack and sat down close to the desk. Someone sat beside her, and she lifted her face to smile to that person, when she noticed the tell tale black trench coat.

Long hair.

****, it was Lionel.

“Miss Lang, how rather coincidental that we meet here again. Are you here for an appointment?” He crossed his legs and wrapped both hands around his knees.

She looked back at the magazine uninterested. “Yes,” came her curt reply.

He chuckled to himself. “Lex does too, actually. He’s meeting me here. Have you seen him recently?”

Lana, shaking inside, tried to look unmoved by his remark and question. “No.”

Lionel stretched his legs out and leaned over conspiratorially, “He told me you two had a tiff. And when he asked me what to do, I told him the same thing that I thought of when I almost lost his mother. No one leaves a Luthor, Lex. That’s what I said.”

“It’s really not up to you.” She turned a page, not even trying to read anymore.

“I know, and that’s what he told me too, but then, he doesn’t know our little secret does he?” He looked to the stained glass window.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Yes, you do, Lana. I know why you’re here. I know what’s going on, but Lex. No, my boy has no idea. Do you know why he’ll be here in,” he looked at his watch, “three minutes?”

She finally put the magazine down. “Why?”

“The baby, Lana.”

“Mr. Luthor, I have nothing to say to you, and for that matter, you need to stay out of my business. Period.” She got up to walk to the other side of the room, when she ran smack dab into Lex. His hand steadied her, and his scent overwhelmed her senses.

“Lana.” Her name was a caress coming from his mouth. He looked more surprised than she was, his face suddenly losing some of its color.

“Lex.” She pulled her arm away and went and sat down at a solitary chair far away.

“Lana Lang?” A heavyset nurse came out and called her name, holding her chart close to her chest.

Lex opened and closed his mouth, trying to get the words out that he wanted to say before she walked down the hall. He said her name quietly, but if she heard him, he couldn’t tell, she just kept right on walking.

Three weeks.

Those words left the doctor’s mouth and she sat there stunned. Images flew in her mind of the night they had spent together and she distinctly remembered more than one time, Lex had reached over to grab condoms. She lost track somewhere of how many times they ended up making love, but she was sure that every time he had used protection.

Damn.

She sat down on one of the chairs in the waiting room and waited until the room stopped spinning. A hand gripped her shoulder and she turned to face whoever it was.

Clark. So she was saved after all.

“Lana, are you okay?” Concern crept into his voice and he crouched down to be at eye level.

“Yeah, Clark. I’m fine, I’ve just been sick lately. No big deal, I got lightheaded.” She smiled and stood up, clinging to her handbag like it was a life raft.

“Come on,” he grabbed her by the elbow and steadied her a little. “I can walk you to your car.”

“Thanks.”

They walked out into the cold, the sheer icy wind cutting a swath across her face; it was like frosty glass waking her up and helping her cope a little. She took a deep breath and headed for the SUV. “I got it from here, Clark.”

His brow crinkled. “Are you sure?”

“Yeah, I can get it from here!” She snapped back at him unintentionally. “I’m sorry, I just don’t feel like being taken care of today, okay?”

“You bet.” He didn’t look happy.

“See you around?” She climbed into the driver seat.

He smiled; fake, but he did it for her, “Yep.”

She closed the door and he headed for the truck. Placing the keys in the ignition, she closed her eyes and leaned her head on the steering wheel. Double damn, she thought to herself, poor Clark.

She backed up and headed toward the Talon.

Closing time was for reflection of your day, and to organize the stock for tomorrow. For today though, it was for planning. She had called 4 different airlines talking about heading to some podunk place somewhere untraceable. The prices were steep, but she could handle it. Nell would loan her the money to get started up somewhere else and she’d be fine, just her and the baby.

She went into the kitchen to turn out the light and turned back around and saw Lex standing next to the table where she’d been writing in her notebook. His finger was following her scrawl, and he was intent on reading.

“Can I help you, Lex, or do you make it a habit of reading other people’s writing without their permission?” She placed her hands on her hips and when she realized that was too open, she threw her arms in front to cross across her chest.

“Where are you going Lana?”

“Away for a vacation.”

“Really?”

“Yes, Lex, really. Now if you don’t mind, its late, and I have a lot to do before I leave tomorrow, so if you’d leave.”

He grabbed a chair; one of the deeper seated cushioned ones and sat down. “I thought we could have a chat.”

She rolled her eyes, knowing he wasn’t leaving until he had his say, and sat down. “About what Lex?” She tried really hard to sound bored, and not anxious.

“Eons ago, when man first appeared on the Earth, they were given women. Cavemen, well they hunted them down and treated them like possessions. The Greeks and Romans did little better. The Egyptians, they treated them like some equal, even more in some cases.” He paused.

“A history lesson? No thank you, Lex” She stood up.

“Hear me out, Lana, please.” A little hint of emotion crept in his voice and he pulled back the arrogance a little.

“Go.”

“What I was getting to was this Lana; I love you. I’m sorry if you don’t think so, or were thinking that I was keeping that from you. That morning you left, I had a lot on my mind, and I never meant you any harm.” He leaned closer.

“No harm?”

“No.”

“And you love me?”

He sat up a little more. “Yeah.”

She started nodded and a smile appeared out of nowhere. “Yeah?”

“I only want to—“

She got up in the middle of his sentence and left him, walking to the door. “I’m glad we cleared that up. Now, if you don’t mind.”

He stood, walking over to her. Slipping his hands in his pockets he leaned over to her, kissing her on the cheek. Before he pulled away, he whispered, I do love you. Always have and I always will. But I won’t wait for you, Lana. If you don’t want me, I’ll understand.”

He walked out, leaving her to watch his retreating form. He’d just won the discussion. Bastard.

Comment

Enjoy everyone!

Chapter 8

The fire was burning brightly in the study when Lex returned to the mansion. His coat came off, flopping carelessly on the couch. The leather slid against it and it went down to the floor. He reached for the decanter. Glasses fell to the floor as he reached for one, and he barely even noticed. The scotch was burning, but settled warm in his belly. That familiar feeling course through him, warming him when nothing else could.

She was leaving him.

Probably forever.

He’d really ****ed up this time.

The glass he was holding went straight for the fireplace, and when it hit, it shot a flame up into the chimney. Turning to look out the window at the night sky, he screamed. He was done, done with them all. He screamed again.

Darius came in the room, gun at the ready, and instead of someone answering his call for Lex, he was rewarded with a lead crystal paperweight being thrown at his head. He ran.

The veins in Lex’s neck were pulsing, bulging out. He was sweating, and the more things flew around there, the better he felt. Suddenly, there was a clapping coming from the balcony.

“Very well done, son.”

Lex turned to his father and pointed at him. “You!! You did this you bastard!” He ran up the stairs, taking them by threes and ran to his old man. Grabbing him by his collar, he positioned him to lean over the edge, and Lionel grabbed him to push him back. “If it wasn’t for you, none—not a goddamn bit of this would be happening.” He punched him, breaking bone and shattering cartilage. Then he screamed right in his face, “**** YOU!”

His father kicked him in the groin and then in the ribs. Lex went down clutching at both with different hands, gasping for air, even as tears were streaming down his face. “You bastard, always having to have everyone in your back pocket! I should have killed you years ago, and made the world a better place!”

Lionel leaned down and spit in his son’s face. “You, my son, are lucky that I have pity on you, or you would be dead right now. Please keep that in mind while you are in my home.” Leaning to offer him an embroidered handkerchief, Lex caught him unaware and swept his feet from beneath him.

Holding Lionel down by the shoulders, he grinned manically at his elder, “Do you have any idea what I have done for you? To be the kind of son you could love, you miserable excuse for a human being?” He spit back, “You are nothing!!”

His voice was hoarse and he went back down the stairs to his desk. Grabbing his bottle of scotch, he went to the safe and punched in the security code. “You know what I think of you, Dad?” He said the last with every ounce of venom inside him. “I think I care about you enough to ruin your life and let you rot away in jail, and this time, this time, Dad? You can die there. Did you HEAR ME?” He turned as he walked in the safe and threw the bottle at his father, who was walking down the stairs after him. He pulled open his filing cabinet, grabbed some papers, and headed for his desk phone, because only god knew where his cell phone was.

Just as he asked for the chief of the Metropolis Metropolitan police, Lionel place his finger down on the receiver, and leaned down to his son’s eye level. Smiling, with blood running from various cuts on his face, he said, “She’s pregnant son. That’s why she’s leaving you.”

As Lex threw the phone and hit his father in the head with it, he wasn’t sure there was anyone left in the mansion to hear his renewed screams.

Comment

Okay I read some of this over at ***, but I don't post there, however I thinks it's good.

Keep 'em coming.

Comment

I am sooooo loving the way this is turning out! Thank you so much for the review! I am glad you're giving feedback here, dear! Keep the reviews coming!

Chapter 9

Right after Lex had left her, she had gone to shut out the lights, when there was a familiar voice out in the dining room. “Lana?” A beat and then, “Lana, are you still here?”

She came back in there, lights being all out and looked for him. All she could see was his silhouette. “Clark? What are you doing here so late?”

“I just got a feeling a friend needed me. You know how it goes.” He walked over to where she was and looked down at her. “Actually, I had a question for you.”

She smiled, shadows playing across her face. “What can I do for you?”

He looked at his shoes, kicking them around a little. “It’s kinda hard, asking you about this, but I talked to my mom, and she told me that direct was the way to go, so here it is…. Are you pregnant?”

Her head shot up and she looked into his eyes. The one friend, she’d always loved him, but couldn’t be in love with. The one friend that could and would come to her side any time, any place. Tell him the truth, her mind urged, do it now, so no one will be hurt anymore. He’ll still love you.

She reached up, taking his large hands in hers, and kissed the top of his knuckles. Her eyes watered up. “Yeah. Yeah, Clark, I am.”

He took a deep breath. “Is it mine?”

A fat teardrop came down her right cheek and she shook her head no.

“Lex?”

She nodded very, very slowly.

“Do you love him?”

She shrugged her shoulders.

“Do you love me?”

Shrugging them again, she dropped his hands and covered her mouth.

“I never figured you being the one of us that would make a deal with the devil, Lana. Not you!” He looked so disappointed, hurt even under that rough exterior.

She sat down and laid her head in her arms to cry, just for a moment, and when she lifted her head, Clark was already gone.

After the cleanup and tirade at the Luthor Mansion, Lex was standing on the balcony outside his office, looking out into the night office, a glass his hands. His whole world was going to come crashing down, all around him. The dream was coming true, and here he thought he had done what was necessary to keep her safe. He was going for the power, making himself look like he was someone she could never have.

It was the one night of weakness that did it.

The best night of his life, and it was going to kill another innocent person.

Wryly he thought to himself, if only I was away from her since I knew. That would have been all right. I could’ve kept her away, kept her safe. I did this. He took another drink from his glass, loving the burn, welcoming all pain.

Walking back inside, he shut the door behind him, and headed for the desk. Lifting open his laptop he set his glass down next to it and started looking for reasonable alternatives.

A few hours later, he looked up when the doors came open, and there stood Clark. Lowering the lid on the computer, he leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. “What can I do for you, Clark? As you can see, it is very late, and I’m kind of—“

“Why did you do that to me, Lex? I mean, you could have taken anything away from me, but her? I’ve loved her since I knew what it felt like to actually love someone other than my parents.” He leaned over his desk, placing a hand on either side of himself.

“Why don’t you have a seat, “ Lex offered to one of the chairs as he rose himself., walking to the bar once more.

“Do you ever think about someone other than yourself, Clark? I mean, I have always known that you have this savior complex, that you have to take on any obstacle, but really.” He stopped looking at the different things to drink. “What would you like?”

“Whiskey.”

“That’s what I love about our relationship, Clark, you and I can discuss anything, and there doesn’t need to be threatening, screaming, death threats.” He smiled. “That’s a true friend.”

Clark stood up, looking him in the eye and took the glass from him, slamming it back, “I wouldn’t know. What a true friend is, I mean.”

“Harsh, Clark, very harsh. You know let me tell you a story, will you? And please, sit back down. Let’s make ourselves comfortable.” He walked over to the loveseat and set his glass down on the glass coffee table. Clark followed suit.

“You see Clark, there was this man, I knew once, and he loved a girl. Loved her so much, he’d rather see her be happy, and with someone else than with him, where there was a chance she’d be miserable. And you know why he did this? Because he had a secret he couldn’t tell anyone, not even his best friend that could have protected him from anyone in the world, without so much as batting an eyelash. One little secret, prevented him from having this happy little life with the girl of his dreams, and in the end, he went on, and the girl fell in love with someone who could be more open with her. Someone she could trust.” He leaned back.

“We all have secrets, Lex.” The muscles in Clark’s jaw were finally relaxing.

“I know, but yours—yours are special. So special in fact you can’t tell anyone that you love, other than your parents.” He paused and then looked at his hands. “You know Clark, even now, I would still protect you. I would do that for you, my friend.”

Clark stood up, looking down at him, “Like I could trust you with Lana, Lex?” He chuckled sadly, “Thank you, but no. I mean, if that’s how you’ll treat my secret, you can go to hell.”

Turning and walking out, Lex called out to him, “She’d never be happy with you Clark. You’re not normal.”

Clark turned his head slowly, a deadpan look on his face, “She’ll never be happy with you, either Lex. All you’ll do, is ruin her until finally you kill her, just like anything else that comes in contact with a Luthor.”

And with that, Clark left, leaving a very upset Lex in his wake. But he was only upset because he knew something that Lex didn’t.

Clark was right.

Comment

Chapter 10

The morning light shone in the Talon’s upstairs windows, streaming in like liquid heat, warming the room. Lana was busy packing her things away, number of boxes and suitcases at the ready. The contract for the Talon itself lay on her counter, ready to be sent to Lex by messenger, nullifying her part in the partnership. Keys were in a nearby envelope, ready to be turned in as well. She’d leave the curtains and furnishings; she could always get more.

Her hands were shaking.

She had to get away before he knew.

8:15 wasn’t coming fast enough for her today. That was when she’d meet the shippers to pack her things away, to head for a new home she’d never heard of, never seen. Anywhere but here, she thought to herself. Away from the Luthors, away from Lex.

Someone knocked on the door, and she walked over turning the knob and pulling it open.

He looked so handsome.

A cream silk shirt hugged his torso, black Armani pants, with a cuff, polished Prada dress shoes. His trench coat seemed tighter even, or maybe it was a new one. No tie, and a smile. Just great.

“Lana.” He made love to her name; just by the way it slid off his tongue.

“Lex! Hi! What can I do for you?” She turned away, walking back to her packing. Glancing at the clock she saw it was 8:11, so just a few minutes of torment and she could head for the bus stop, and get out of here.

“Thought I’d come and see you off, that’s what friends do right?” His hands came to rest on the counter, right on the contract.

She turned and smiled. “Yeah, but how did you know I was leaving this morning?”

“You know me, I could find out anything I wanted to, just by asking the right person.” She averted her eyes. Something in that statement was so telling, she was worried that he might know.

“Well, yeah, I decided late last night that I was going to go, and I called the movers and then I’m off. Then I have a bus leaving at 8:30, so you know. Busy, busy, busy!” Closing the box she was working on, she quickly moved to the next.

He walked over and put his arms around her from the back, laying his head on her shoulder, squeezing her tight. Little did they both know, that the other’s eyes were closed, trying to remember the moment, the smells of each other, the feeling. His breath was warm on her ear, and she shivered a little.

Releasing her, she turned to look at him, his stoic friendly little half smile in place. “I’m sorry it didn’t work between us, Lana. I wish it would have, but if wishes were horses, then we all would ride, right?”

She placed the box on the floor, and nudged it with her foot. He kicked over a little for her and she watched him, staring right into his eyes, like neither one of them wanted this to end. “Nice analogy, Lex.”

“Thank you.”

Another knock was at the door, and Lana pulled it open. The movers. She was saved! Telling them what was what, pointing and nodding happened for a few minutes. Lex just stood there, watching with piqued curiosity.

She turned to him, holding out her hand. “That’s done, so I guess it’s time for me to go.”

He looked at her hand and back to her face. “Wanna ride to the station?”

Debating it, she looked at her two suitcases and smiled at him. “That would be great.”

He drove slowly, internally remembering what cargo she was carrying. When they got there, he was determined to let her go, find a nice life with someone else that would raise his kid. Someone who could make him or her normal, and they’d break the curse.

Pulling into a parking spot, Lex put it in park and got out. Walking to the trunk, he pushed the remote button and pulled out the two bags. Then, slamming the trunk closed, he set his alarm and grabbed the two bags, following Lana in.

She stood at the counter, only for a moment, to get her ticket and make sure the arrangements were correct. He didn’t even want to know where she was going, he just wanted her to go, so he didn’t listen. When she came back to where he was sitting on the bench with the luggage, she took it from him and brought it back to the counter, handing it over to the cashier.

Finally, she came back to sit for a moment, and say her goodbyes to him. He sat, bent over and his hands clasped in front of him. “You know, you could have asked for the jet.”

“Yeah, but then what would the new neighbors think?” She laughed a little.

“I guess.”

“Are you going to be all right, Lex?” She leaned over toward him to give him a little nudge.

“Maybe.”

“Monosyllabic doesn’t suit you well, Mr. Luthor.” She chuckled again.

He leaned back stretching his legs out. “Well, I figured the less I say, the less painful it’ll be for each of us.”

“Yeah.” She mirrored his pose. “Remember the last time I left Smallville?”

He smiled. “How could I forget? The day my father went to jail. Both the best and worst day of my life to that point.”

“I really want to thank you for coming today. You didn’t have to see me off.” She smiled a little.

“Yea, Lana, I did. I think we both needed the closure and to say our goodbyes.” He took her hand and squeezed it.

She looked at their hands. “What did you mean by ‘to that point’.”

He sobered, and dropped her hand, and one of his went to his forehead, massaging it. “Just a saying.” She became on guard very quickly.

An announcement came on the intercom for her train. She looked over at him and smiled. “I guess this is it.”

“Yeah.” He stood up, pulling her to him, ignoring her not wanting a hug. Her hand went to his head, stroking him, her eyes closed. He was doing the same thing, only he was sure his heart would explode and forever be broken if he didn’t tell her he knew at least. So he made a decision.

They pulled back, looking at each other once more, images flying through their minds, from the years of their lives together. Lana smiled first and broke the contact. He put his arms around her shoulders and walked her to the platform, where he’d leave her to start her new life.

“You take care, Lana Lang, and look me up if you’re ever in the area.” He leaned over and kissed her on the cheek.

“Remember you can be and are a good man, Lex Luthor.” She ran her finger down the side of his face, like she’d done so many times after he’d been shot.

He visibly choked. Something inside him broke and he knew he couldn’t let her go, not now. He grabbed her by her wrists, a frantic look on his face. “Lana, look, I’ve been thinking and something just hit me. You don’t have to leave. Stay in Smallville. You can come to the Mansion, make a place for yourself there—“

She cut him off, “Lex, don’t do this. Please?” Tears formed in her eyes and she tried to take his hands off her.

“Lana, no, “ he sobbed, “please, no. You can stay. Stay with me. I can take care of you, both of you, and love you. I know I can. I love you both, Lana”

Horror came from somewhere inside her and she broke free and ran. He ran after her, but the train door, slammed behind her and the train started to move. He fell on his knees, his hands balled up in fists and pulling in to his chest. “Lana, please!” He pleaded to no one. “Lana!”

In a moment the train was gone.

Comment

Chapter 11

1 year later…

A dark haired woman works behind the counter at another small coffee shop in another small town in the Midwest. Glass cases held cheesecakes, biscotti, ice creams, and cookies. The motif is old country signs of various kinds, including Coke, Pepsi, and even Michelin tires. One wall is a cream cloth, the others are brick red. There’s an old marquee sign hanging over dining area, boasting, “Smokey Row announces new latté specials.” Old 50’s style chairs and booths lines the walls and cover the floors, and just off the ordering counter, there’s a little kiosk where one could gather there creams and sugars.

The one thing that stands out in this restaurant though, is her. This exotic beauty without a past. She has a name, Lana, but no one knows anything about her or her 3 and a half-month-old son, Alex. Because you see, that’s the way she wants it.

On this particular day in this small town, named Oskaloosa, the weather was fair for this time of the year, the temperatures in the 30’s. Skies were blue and the snow was as white as white can be. People walked around the town square in front of the store, carrying packages, hurrying to meetings, and heading to lunch.

Lana was working behind the counter when a line of people came to the register to order. She called for couple of others, their names too unimportant for her to care about, other than when she was there. As the line got longer, she started to push them through, everyone working like a well-polished machine.

At the very end, came a familiar voice. “Hello, Ms. Lang.”

Lana turned away from the espresso, shock abound on her face. “Chloe?” She squealed and ran out to hug her friend. “You made it!”

“Yeah,” she nodded. “I tell you what though, it was very hard to run under the Luthor’s radar. I made it though, unscathed.” She added the last dramatically, swinging her scarf around her neck. “When do you get off?”

Lana looked at her clock on the wall. “Two.” It was 1:10.

“I’ll be back. I’m going to run and get my godson some more toys to spoil him with!” Lana watched in awe as her friend walked out the door and headed through the noon rushed of people to more shopping.

The owner, Gloria, came out of the kitchen. “Your friend from home made it huh?”

Lana grinned, “How could you tell?”

“It’s all over your face, dear. All over.”

Promptly at two, Chloe picked Lana up in her Bug. “That was close! I thought for sure that some cop or something was going to make me try to parallel park if I rounded this block again! How are you?”

Lana chuckled. “I brought you a coffee, complements of Smokey Row, which by my standards, is pretty darn close to the Talon House brew.” She reached over and hugged her again. “I still can’t believe you’re here!”

“Me too! Lois wanted to come, but I told her she had to stay, keep Lex on the lowdown, you know?” She sipped her coffee. “Oooh, this is good!”

Cautiously, Lana asked, “Did he ask why you were leaving Smallville in February?”

“Nah, and if he does, we fabricated this whole story that I had to go to a conference in Des Moines for the Planet.” She added quickly, “A small one.”

“Great!” Lana was grinning like a Cheshire cat.

“One question, prom queen. Where’s your place?” She looked over at her wryly.

“Follow my lead Miss Editor.”

They both laughed all the way to Lana’s place she called home.

One state away, a young bald man sat at his desk, tie pulled to the side, staring over files. His head was pounding, working on steadily becoming one of the worst migraines he’d ever had. A woman sat in the chair across from him, nervously picking at her fingernails. “Mr. Luthor?”

He looks up, lost, and thinks for a second before answering her. “Yes. Well I can honestly say that this seems like everything’s in order. Did you talk to the plant foreman about these safety changes?”

“Yes, sir.”

“Alright then, have these done by the 20th and we’ll have no problem. Tell McGregor that I want all the protocol to be changed regarding the Sentavarian labs, and that I want him to clear his schedule for a meeting with me on the 21st at 8 am. Any questions?” He leaned back after slamming his laptop shut.

“No, and thank you for your time, Mr. Luthor.” She nearly ran out of the room.

His phone rang. Grabbing the pill bottle out of his pocket, he dry swallowed a handful and answered on the fourth ring. “Hello?”

It was Griff, a supposed one time lackey for him, who had become his own private detective. “Lex, hey man!”

“What.”

“Head still bothering you?”

“Is there a point to our conversation, or do I need to turn my medical records over for your attention, doctor?”

So, Lex was pissed and hurting. Griff knew that that was the time to be brisk, and to the point. “I’m sitting outside her house. I followed that Sullivan chick all the way here. And, Lex, if I don’t say so myself, your lady, she looks mighty fine for just havin’ a baby. When you’re done with her….” Griff continued on, about her.

But Lex had already hung up the phone.

As she tucked Alex in, Lana checked all the windows, looking out for people who might be watching her as she did every night. Chloe stood in the doorway, watching quietly as Lana did her ritual.

She held her finger to her lips and she shut the door and ushered her friend to the living room. “I thought he’d never go to sleep today. My God, he is just like his father. Stubborn baby.”

“Have there been any side effects, you know, of being a meteor rock baby?” At the look of distaste on Lana’s face, she quickly added, “You know, his unnaturally high white blood cell count?”

Lana sat on one end of the couch and shook her head, “No, although Dr. North said that he’s one of the healthiest babies he’s seen in a long time. Nothing else.”

“Oh.”

“Just ‘oh’?”

“Well, I was hoping a little that the guy would have a mutant. Not your baby, but something to blemish our fair senator’s name, you know?” Chloe pulled a string off her shirt and looked at her. “Not that I would wish that on Alex, but you have to admit, if it wasn’t yours, you might be as curious as me.”

Lana looked at her with a little smile. “Maybe.”

Changing the subject, Lana pulled a couch pillow to her chest and crossed her legs. “How is Clark?”

“Mr. Perfect? Yeah, he’s fine. Only saved the world about a hundred more times since you left, and he misses you like no other.” She smiled. “Some day I’ll be able to let that go, just not sure when.”

They both laughed.

Lana sobered. “Same old Clark.”

“Yeah.”

“Are you hungry?” Lana stood up. At Chloe’s nod, she headed for the kitchen, her friend in tow. “Ice cream?”

“Ice cream!”

Back at the mansion, Lex sat in his bedroom, drunk. So much so, that when the maid had came in to get his clothes for the cleaners, he had thrown a Ming vase at her. She’d quit on the spot.

Not long after, the door came open, revealing his father. “What are you doing, Lex? Darius just told me that Mrs. Lattimer just quit.” He sat down in one of his chairs.

“I’m fine, Dad. Can you please just leave me alone?”

“You have to be on the Senate floor tomorrow at eight in the morning, do you remember that?”

“Yes.”

“So being drunk helps you how exactly?”

He laid back on his bed, staring at the canopy. “Leave.”

“Don’t do something foolish, Lex. Luthors aren’t fools.” Lex made a mouth with his hand that was talking, mimicking his father. “Fine, but don’t forget. Eight.”

He gave him the thumbs up and Lionel left him. He reached over into his night side table drawer and pulled out a small framed picture of a baby and held it to his chest. She’d sent it to him not long after he was born.

Reached over he grabbed the phone and dialed. “Darius, get the jet ready, and have the limo get ready to take me to it.” He hung up.

It was time for him to go get his family.

Comment

OMG! I love these stories! They're absolutely fantastic! Keep at it! *swooooon~*

Comment

Thank you!! And hey-- let other people know about it! I love it when everyone gets a good read! And you missed Chapter 11! Might wanna go back and read that one....

Comment

Your welcome. ^_^'

Ooh, sweet! *runs to read it* I will tell other Lexana fans.

Comment

Here's the next one, get back to me, and let me have some kind of feedback!

Chapter 12

Chloe stared at the ceiling in the little apartment’s living room. Alex was cooing quietly to himself in his room, and she’d already decided she’d give him a few minutes before dragging him out of there. She’d checked on Lana, twice and she was still buried face down in her pillows. Blowing her bangs out of her face, she sat up and then walked over to the line of windows in the room, looking down to the other buildings, some nice landscaping and little kids walking to a small bus that was waiting.

The baby was starting to whine, and so she let the curtains fall, and just as they bounced off the windowsill, she saw a flash of black from a nice new car. She lifted it, looking once more, and saw nothing, so she calmed a bit.

As she came to Alex’s bedroom, she saw Lana was already there, laying him on the changing table. His tiny feet and hands were up in the air, swinging around erratically. Lana grabbed the baby wipes, tossing his dirty diaper in the trash, and proceeded to give him a nice thorough wipe down.

“Want some breakfast? I can do eggs, Lucky Charms, and toast?” That got a chuckle from Lana, who was powdering him.

“How about muffins? Gloria sent some home with me, we can just heat them up in the microwave.” Chloe nodded and turned to walk the short distance to the kitchen.

There was a knock at the door, “Lana, are you expecting someone?” She looked out the security hole in the door. It was black. “Hello? Who’s there?”

She turned the knob, waiting for a second before rotating it all the way. The security chain caught, so shut it again and opened the door.

Lex caught it with his left hand and walked right past Chloe, heading toward the back, meeting Lana, who was answering her, “I think it might be Mrs. Van Wyk from the first--.”

She stopped. Her heart stopped, and she almost dropped Alex. “Lex,” she whispered.

“Hello, Lana. I came to visit my son. Not that you’d care, but I wanted to meet him before he was grown.” He didn’t smile.

Not a glimpse of a smile.

Sighing, she turned Alex around to face his father. “Lex, meet Alex. Alex, this is your father, and hey, you share the same bald head.” She walked around him to the kitchen.

It wasn’t turning out to be a great day, not at all.

Coffee was handed out after the two ladies had had a chance to take showers and change, each taking turns quickly, so Lex couldn’t take off with the baby. That was the plan, although even when they were both out of the room, he never left his spot, still in the same position in his chair, as if he was waiting patiently to be seen by a doctor. Alex sat in his bouncing seat, watching the lights and listening to the music, and Lex never made a move toward him.

Lana sat down on the couch near her son and looked at Lex. He’d lost weight in his face, black circles loomed under his eyes as if he had had them tattooed there., and his clothes were literally hanging off him. She sat back, sipping her coffee, looking him over.

He leaned forward and looked back at her, trying very hard not be angry.

Chloe stayed out of the way, busing herself by reheating muffins in the kitchen, but she could feel the tension, rolling out of there in waves.

Lex spoke first, “How have you been, Lana?”

“Fine. We’ve been fine.”

He stared at her.

She stared back.

Alex started to kick at the bar over his chair and it started to play, ‘Take Me Out to the Ballgame.’ They both looked down at him, then back at each other.

“Well, this is fun.” Lana sat up in her seat.

“Yeah it is.”

“Are you going to actually talk, or are we going to play this game all day?”

“I don’t know, Lana, are we going to have a discussion about where you have been for the last year, maybe? Are we going to talk about how angry I have been, maybe? Are we going to talk about how upset I am at this very moment that I am just now meeting my son, maybe?” He leaned back, arms resting on the arms of the chair. “Maybe we could have those discussions soon, but right now I’m trying to figure out why I have to send a private investigator to follow, Miss Loose Lips Sink Ships to find my goddamn son!”

Her mouth dropped open. “Leave.”

“No.”

“I’ll make you leave.”

“No you won’t.”

“Then what, Lex? I have a job, my friend is here to visit, my son needs to be fed, and I want to eat before I pass out from low blood sugar, which, by the way, could be any moment now, considering the stress you’re putting me through.” She stood up and walked to the kitchen, grabbing a muffin from the plate and one for him. He looked at the muffin that was passed to him.

“Banana blueberry, Lana? I’m touched, you remembered.” Sarcasm slipped right off his tongue.

“Shut up and eat, Lex.”

She was amazed when he did just that.

She was feeding him in her room, he thought to himself; of course she’d breastfeed. That was the healthiest way to go. She hadn’t offered to let him hold his son, and truth be told he was terrified about holding one. A baby was almost too much. In theory, it was just a small person, but even at three months, Alex was a little bitty person. No thank you.

Chloe was playing Betty Crocker in the kitchen, fixing up some food in the oven, cleaning, and taking out the trash. He was so angry with her in that moment, he could care less if she was there.

Getting restless, he got up and walked to her bedroom in the back.

The scene that he saw when he reached the room took him completely aback.

Lana was sitting in an old fashioned rocker, wore from use, her right arm propped with a fluffy feather pillow. Her shirt was up, as well as her bra, and her breast was being held tenderly with tiny little hands. Her eyes were closed, in contemplation or sleep, he wasn’t sure, and her left hand was stroking the baby’s head.

His eyes were filling with unshed tears as he watched them. A few of those tears had lost their footing and were trickling down his cheeks. His mind was wracked with emotions. Of course he had never seen someone more loving, his mother had all but denounced Julian’s existence, but he was sure somewhere in there she loved the little baby she had bore. Lana purely loved his little boy, something he’d known she would do, but to see it for the first time was almost too much for him. He stared at the baby, noticing that he had his father’s shape of face, and his eyes. At least he thought he did. It was too early to tell, he supposed, but still, he could.

He choked back a sob and was intently watching when Lana cleared her throat and he looked up at her face. Warmth radiated from her smile and he felt at ease enough again to smile back. “We made him.” Not a question.

“Yeah, we did.”

“Can I hold him when he’s done?”

“Yeah, it’ll only be a few minutes. Why don’t you lay down and close your eyes for a little while and when I get him cleaned up, I’ll lay him down with you, so you can hold him?” She gestured over to the pillows on the bed he was sitting on.

“Oh, okay.” He stood up and took his coat off, laying it on another chair. Kicking his shoes off, he laid down then, on his side facing the two of them. She closed her eyes once more and rested. Lex watched them until he felt his eyes starting to close. “Lana?”

She opened an eye. “Yes?”

He closed his eyes and pulled her blanket up to his chin. “I still love you.”

She sat there for a minute, looking at his red eyes that were surrounded by the black, waiting patiently to hold his son for the first time. A whirl of emotions went through her and for a moment, she didn’t want to say anything, but she saw his chest rise and fall evenly. “I love you too, Lex.”

He lifted an eyebrow and smiled smugly. “I know, Lana. I’ve always known.”

She smiled as he fell asleep.
                          [B]

Comment

Awww! I loved this story! So sad and so cute. It almost made me cry, poor Lex, lol. Can't wait to hear more!

Comment

Here's another one for your reading pleasure!

Chapter Thirteen

A small nudge to his face woke him up from his deep sleep. Something warm and bundled lay on his arm, wiggling erratically. He pulled the corner of the blanket back and revealed a small little boy, who for the first time was seeing his father up close. For a moment, he just stared, his blue eyes bulging. Then he reached out to touch his nose. Lex smiled. He reached down and grabbed Alex’s hand, and it automatically wrapped around one of his fingers. He pulled back and the tug only got stronger. He laughed.

Lana cleared her throat after watching the exchange. Lex looked up, all disheveled. She climbed in bed, on the other side of the baby, and protectively wrapped her arm around the baby as well. “Hey.”

“Hi, Lana.”

“I didn’t mean what I said earlier about Alex having your bald head. I was just scared and upset that you found me.” She gabbed a tendril of hair that had fallen into the baby’s chubby little fist. She pulled, and Alex pulled back, but she eventually got it to come free.

“I know,” he sighed as he lay back on his back

She looked over at him. “You seem to know an awful lot about the situation.”

He frowned. “I know you, Lana. I know why you left, I know why you came to another podunk town, and I know why you hate me so much. It isn’t about how much I know, it’s about what I can do to fix the situation.”

She smiled. “I don’t know if there’s anything that you can do, Lex. Maybe the best thing that we can do for now, is just let it lie and see where it goes from there?”

He stretched and then sat up, looking down at the pair of them. I already lost them for a year, he thought to himself. I’m not losing them again, not when I have the chance to make it all right. His smile was sweet, like from when they first met and she knew everything would be okay between them. “I think that the best thing we could do right now, Lana, is let everything go its own way and see where that takes us. Now, what’d you cook? Something smells wonderful!”

He hopped off the bed and walked toward the front; the kitchen; by way of the bathroom, whistling as he went.

Chloe stood in the kitchen drinking a cup of coffee when Lex came in. She smiled. He poured a cup and didn’t speak. She rounded the corner to go sit in the living room. He followed, sitting across from her.

“Lex, how are you after your nap?” She looked into her cup.

He sat back and smiled at her. “Just fine Chloe, and how are things for you?”

She cringed under his gaze, inwardly berating herself for making such stupid conversation. She knew he was pissed off. “Just great!” She flashed her winning smile.

“Me too, me too.”

“Well, this is kind of awkward.”

“Wouldn’t have been if you’d told me where she went.”

“Lex, don’t start.”

He glared. “Oh, okay then, Chloe, you tell me how to feel.”

“I never said I should. All I meant was that you need to understand that not everything revolves around you.” Way to go, Chloe, she thought to herself, way to comeback!

“Well then, until you become God, and are all knowing, then please, let me have my own feelings. Until then, deal with your actions.” He got up to refill his cup, which he had been sipping on throughout the conversation.

She sat there looking after him, her mouth agape.

Lana came in the kitchen, carrying a freshly changed baby. He smelled nice, and she smelled even nicer, making Lex’s thoughts stray to where they shouldn’t. He leaned back on the counter, one hand resting there.

“Hello, gorgeous.” Lex walked over and gave Alex a hug.

Lana smiled, “Was that for him or for me?”

“Both of you actually.” He smirked.

“We need to talk.”

“How about over dinner? Someone prepared a lovely meal, so lets have something to eat and talk then. I’m sure there’s positively no way we could make everything go to hell in the few short minutes it would take to have a great meal with you.” He opened cupboards, looking for dishes to set the table with.

She walked away, kicking herself inwardly. This is not the way she had envisioned their reunion happening. Setting Alex down in the swing and getting it stated, she saw Chloe pulling on her coat and grabbing her bag. “What are you doing?”

Chloe smiled, “Letting you have your time to work this out, whatever it is. I’ll be back though, don’t worry.” She gave her hand a little squeeze and went out the front door.

Dinner was quiet.

Neither of them spoke much, and Lana was happy. The way Lex was looking at her, the smiles he was giving her, they were way to creepy for her right now. After dinner though, things got serious, as they both put Alex down for the night.

Lex stood in his doorway for some time, just staring at the little boy.

Lana came up behind him, placing her hand on his arm. “Want to talk?”

He turned and looked at her. “I think it’s about time we did.”

They went to the living room, the only ‘safe’ room in the house. Sitting across from each other, she was sitting with her elbows resting on her thighs; Lex sitting back, with his finger on his left hand running over his lips.

She smiled. “I’ll start.” He nodded. “I ran away, and for that I’m sorry. But, what I’m not sorry for, was taking him away from a world where your father has a chance of destroying him, like he tried with you. He’s my son, and I am protecting him by having him here.” She stopped.

Lex started, “Okay, I’ll see your point about my father, but what makes you think that I wouldn’t protect him? He’s my son too. I know what it can be like being raised under my father, and I would never knowingly do that to another being. I saw what it did to my mother, to Julian, hell even to Lucas. I think we both know what it was that drove you away, Lana.”

She cocked her head and frowned. “What?”

“Me.”

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎