Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

am I seriously the only person who thought this episode SUCKED?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am I seriously the only person who thought this episode SUCKED?

No offence to all of you who liked this episode, but I just found it to be terrible. It was remenicient of all those other cheezy predictable and christmas specials on tv that I used to watch as a kid. Not that I have a problem with happy feelings and good holiday christmas cheer and all that (seeing as I do partake in them on a yearly basis just like all the rest), but I just found the sentimenality levels in this particular episode to be insulting. I mean seriously... a drunken santa about to commit suicide because "people have lost the true meaning of christmas"? And how is this problem rectified? Because Clark and Chloe (two people folks) and helping people? Really folks, I could understand if this santa had other emotional problems to begin with. But the fact that his problem is fixed just like that and now he's feeling amazing... what does he suffer menach (excuse my spelling) depression?
    I guess his depression could be a result of the fact that he (apparently) IS Santa, which makes it all the worse.
    A. If he is Santa then he should know that there are other good people out there. You can't honestly expect me to believe that Clark and Chloe were the only two people on earth with good intentions on that night.
    B. Just the fact that Santa is a part of the Smallville universe is even more atrocias to me. I'm not entirely agains the occasional supernatural element thrown in to this show, but Santa draws the line for me. Yes he's a very amusing character, and I love reading 'the night before christmas', but that's where he should stay. Smallville and Santa just don't mix, as soon as Santa dissapeared with all of the presents I just groaned.

Yes there were some good elements to this episode, but even Michael Rosenbaums performance couldn't save this one for me. The Lex Luthor story line was just as sappy to me, and with the exception of the very last scene with Lex at the end, and the scene with his father, I can't say I really enjoyed any of it.

Bottom line. I was expecting everyone to hate this episode before I saw it, because it sounded like it was going to suck. After actually watching it I found it was much worse than I could have imagined, and naturally thought that people would be bashing this episode left right and centre. As it would seem this has gotten some of the most positive responses I've seen on Ksite in quite some time. For me I'd have to say this is my least favorite episode from the entire show. Never thought I'd disagree with the masses on this site.

Such is the way Christmas episodes are made.
    Yes there were many cliches here. But the Holiday Season is all about letting go of our angst, our disbelief and we tend to regress back into our childhoods. At least, that is what the makers of TV shows hope for and most people do so.
    So maybe no one is bashing the episode b/c people are just feeling in a mood where we wish that there were a Superman that could solve everyone's problems...including Santa. Isn't that what Christmas is all about...renewing our hope, even when the world seems to be completely beyond hope?
    Happy holidays everyone!

Comment

That may be so, and I'm not bashing holiday cheer in general. I just feel that the episode was very campy and when I sit down to watch Smallville that is not what I'm looking for. Besides, with the notable exceptions of mickey mouse christmas charol, the grinch (cartoon), and Charlie Brown's christmas, I generaly despise christmas specials because they are so cliche. I don't care how good a mood I'm in, blatant cliche's (especially ones involving things like christmas) generally bug me on a whole.

Comment

That being so, that is your opinion. I was merely addressing this comment -

"I was expecting everyone to hate this episode before I saw it, because it sounded like it was going to suck. "

And so I gave my response for why others may not have thought it sucked.

Television executives generally don't care what we think about the shows as long as we watch them long enough to be exposed to the advertising.

Comment

I'll agree with you on the whole Santa subplot. It was fairly contrived, and there was plenty about it to not like.

What I don't understand is the dislike for the 'Lex' half of 'Lexmas'. Like anyother Lex-centric ep, this gave us a new level of insight into his character. It provided a strong emotional context for what would otherwise have been just another decision. He's done that plenty of times before, choosing to do something underhanded or nasty. The dream sequences showed us that this was instead a pivotal decision, and one which he probably understood to be pivotal. Without the whole story, the last scene is meaningless.

Even if you didn't consider this ep to be great, it still was no 'Magnetic' or 'Thirst'. Now those episodes sucked!

Comment

Yeah, Santa kind bothered me, and This wasn't my favorite episode, but it didn't outright suck either.

Comment

Santa was OK the first time I watched it, but it gets more and more annoying everytime I re-watch the ep.

Comment

The Santa stuff did bother me the more I thought about it. I still can't see how Chloe and Clark go he's the real deal when they live in town full of FoTWs; who they look into all the time. They've both seen people who can move faster then a person can see like Bart, and Emily.

I refuse to believe this crap "its really Santa" it's a FoTW to me and nothing more and if it's not TPTB don't think much of Santa, just look at the points made on this thread alone:

a drunken santa about to commit suicide because "people have lost the true meaning of christmas"? And how is this problem rectified? Because Clark and Chloe (two people folks) and helping people? Really folks, I could understand if this santa had other emotional problems to begin with. But the fact that his problem is fixed just like that and now he's feeling amazing... what does he suffer menach (excuse my spelling) depression?
                I guess his depression could be a result of the fact that he (apparently) IS Santa, which makes it all the worse.
                A. If he is Santa then he should know that there are other good people out there. You can't honestly expect me to believe that Clark and Chloe were the only two people on earth with good intentions on that night.
                Last edited by angelfire east; 12-15-2005, 11:53 PM.

Comment

In my opinion the whole Santa subplot was cheesy and too fairy tale fantasy when Smallville is usually sci-fi.
                  Now I did enjoy parts of the episode because I love to watch the Luthors.
                  But even though I enjoyed the Luthors scenes,and even the dream sequences were fun. I thought that the end of "Lexmas" as a character motivation was wacky. I mean, using a vision/dream/nightmare about a life that never in the real world to motivate Lex to turn actively against the Kent family is very insulting to my intelligence, as a Lex fan. I expected and wanted a bigger and more powerful real world event to break Lex's resolve and take him down to the next level of darkness.

Comment

Lex's motivation shouldn't be that surprising. He realized that if he followed the "lighter" path, he wouldn't have the power and control that he would need to save Lana.

Like he said, if you have money and power, you can protect the things you care about better.

Like his father, Lex's greatest fear is losing control, or being vulnerable. In some twisted way, it makes sense to him logically.

After all, don't kings and emperors have the best security? For someone so paranoid about being at the will of outside forces, this makes sense.

Factor into this the fact that he'd just been SHOT. Talk about scary.

Bottom line: Lex is a pragmatist. It's all about risk vs. benefit. And if it's too risky to be "good" and lose his family power structure, he wouldn't do it, even for the chance to be well-liked.

Comment

I am at work so I cannot type the lengthy response that comes to mind--but I will just say that I guage "sucked" from a scale where "Ageless" is at the bottom. Therefore, Lexmas is a FAR cry from Sucktastic.

I agree with MyOwnSuperhero--any episode that is Lexcentric, and gives us more insight to his wonderful character is a thumbs up episode to me.
                      Last edited by ferd; 12-16-2005, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ferd
                        I am at work so I cannot type the lengthy response that comes to mind--but I will just say that I guage "sucked" from a scale where "Ageless" is at the bottom. Therefore, Lexmas is a FAR cry from Sucktastic.
                        I still remember reading a review for Ageless and it said "Ageless is the episode that when people tell you they thought this week's episode was bad, you go 'was it [i]Ageless[i] bad?' It's the worse SV ever made and now everyone has something to conpare bad episodes too to find out the scale of suckness it's on"

Comment

The only lowpoint would probably be the Santa, subplot. That wasn't even that bad becauseit showed Clark helping someone out, and it was a SUBPLOT.

The actual story was great. We rarely get to see Lex episodes, and this one was done very well.

Comment

Re: am I seriously the only person who thought this episode SUCKED?

Originally posted by Hydra
                            That tweaked my melon too. You telling me Chloe and Clark are the first hint Santa has that their are people out there giving their time and energy, working their butts off, so others can have a happy holiday? Riiight.

It woulda been better if the whole thing was a ruse by Santa to awaken Chloe's and Clark's Christma spirit. But, since their Christmas spirit was already pretty awake...

As for Santa being on SV at all, I recall Santa being treated as real plenty of times in comic books, so it wasn't completely out of left field.

Comment

I was a bit disapointed, basically because my expectations were so high.

Granted the Santa thing was the stupidest B-plot ever and they should have just skipped that completely and spent the time to make the "Good-Lex/what might have been" more powerful. Not all-about-Lana-worship and answered some obvious questions.

What did dream Lex do for a living? What did he get that humanitarian award for the didn't require wealth? What kind of a father-figure did he make? Did dream-Lex just give up all his political ambitions? The good-side of him always wanted to "do great things" to help people and dream-Jonathan got into office with-out being rich, so it's possible.

There's so much more they could have done with this premise. Since they spent the entire series setting up the tragity of Lex That Might Have Been If Not Driven To The Darkside. They finally explore that and all he cares about is stupid Lana!

I don't hate Lana as much as some and any other Generic Love Interest in this role would been every bit as lame. What about his children!?! Friends? Whatever philanthopic work he was devoted to enough to win an award for it? Not everyone he cared about died only (much nicer than the real one BTW) Stepfordwife-Lana.

Still it was in character for Lex to go all "power and money is everything" Paranoia and being so familiar with curupt ways has always been his fatal flaws. And the key scenes were that in both the dream and reality he was dependant on Lionel, that was what made Lex panic and go "any means nessessary" on the campaign. That's his pattern.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎